HTML5 Questions/Feedback/etc.

Hello, all!  I'm Cromm, the guy behind the HTML5 client (http://client.aetolia.com).

If anyone has questions about the client, how to script for it, suggestions for improvement, etc., let me know -- I'll be happy to help.

Thanks!
LinAshmer

Comments

• LinLin Blackbird The Moonglade
    Hey Cromm! No questions here, just wanted to give you props on a very well-made client.
    CrommLuthien
  • Thanks!  Always nice to hear that people enjoy your work (though I will fully admit that it's a team effort -- lots of input and guidance from around IRE, including the players; I'm just the code monkey and originator). :)
  • The old clients (Flash and Java I think?) both had semi-decent editing capabilities for news posts etc. 

Right now, the HTML5 client appears to offer editing, but when you open it up, it does it with a blank window rather than pulling in the existing post. Is it possible to expand the capabilities of the editor, so that it will pull in the full post and allow it to be edited in the dialogue that opens up?

• Absolutely -- that's at the very top of my priority list to fix.  I'll post here when it's been updated!
    HavenMastema
  • @Macian - Sorry for the crazy delay, but this bug is finally squashed!  You should be able to edit files with the popup composer now.  Let me know if you have any other trouble or suggestions!
  • A little idea, not sure if it is possible. However giving the client a button / toggle, option to log in directly to aetolia.com 23, or to attempt to log into mudbot via 127.0.0.1 port 123

just a thought
    Mastema
  • I've been using this client and haven't had many problems with it thus far. I will say that every time I try to set up a trigger it the entire client freezes, not sure if it's just my computer or if it is specifically client related. Everything else seems to work properly as best to my knowledge. 
  • @Xon - At this particular time, the client can't support what you're after, but I'll kick it around.

@Alycena - Sorry to hear that!  Can you let me know what browser (and version) and what OS you're running (Mac vs Windows)?
  • It's really alright. I'm using the latest version of Google Chrome on windows. 
  • edited March 2014
    Calling function from a function problem:

I want this function in the outer scope:
    function name delay

setTimeout(function () {
          send_direct(args(1), false);
            }, args(2));

Then through the UI I want to be able to refer to that function example

function name: defup
    delay("nightvision", "<time">);
    delay("lifevision", "<time">);

Btw
    How do you use spoilers or code/quotes in this forum

• edited March 2014
    I'm halfway there; i succeded by putting into the onLoad -- main package -- now my arguments messing up ^^

Solved it; I will post something useful soon
  • edited March 2014

Dummy Guide; Defup script with delay, Picture by Picture(
    http://asesinovalentine.pbworks.com/w/page/77078192/article1 Lets begin (Defup script)

.. removed the picture by pictuure, it got really messy.
    .. fixed a small bug in it, if someone tried it; im looking for better platfoms to put out instructions on, this wiki doesnt support code tags(found a workaround, copying the content from pastebin keept the colors intact, and creating it in a table makes it look pretty..)
    Dhraen
  • Nice!
  • edited March 2014
    Can someone help me call my function in the outer scope, its loaded on onLoad function from an alias?

from inner function to outer function its:
    delay("<cmd>", 1000)

i know from alias to function its 
    <function> <thing> <thing> buut that doesnt work when its from outerscope and i dont know why, or how to address the function correctly.

I was helping someone who keeps insisting she wanted to put my delay function in the aliases, but i never got it to work and i had trouble explaining why.

She wanted to do it like this
  • @Asesino
    looks like your links have broken...

The client has a lot of potential and seems to be a lot more feature rich than the old nexus client. My only gripe is the lack of use/documentation on it...
  • @ Rhonus

Which links?
    I'm able to understand alot of it, but I am slowly transitioning so i can code properly, I am used to diffrent langugages.
  • Recently when I load my reflexes from the server, the client gives me two error messages

TypeError: number is not a function
    See browser console for more details.

and 2
    Error: cannot call methods on tooltip prior to initialization; attempted to call method 'destroy'
    See browser console for more details.

Any idea what's going on here and how to fix it?
  • edited June 2014
    I'd love to know how the inventory and tab-targeting reference their information. But then, I'd use that information and attempt applying it on another client. Lulz figured it alredahz

Is the music used in the client available to download?
    I mean, you know, an amount.

• IshinIshin Retired Lurker Virginia
    @Cromm - Hey Cromm, something I've noticed when I'm playing using the HTML client is that any time I go to move a room, I start lagging really badly. It doesn't matter if I move manually, or via the path find system. When I am standing still in a room, I have no lag, and no issues doing anything at all. However, the second I move, sledgehammer to the face.

The only thing I can think of that would cause this is the mapper display. Whenever I move it takes -forever- for it to catch up. A second or so. If I'm standing at the Inner Gate in Spinesreach, for example, and DASH N, the mapper takes a few seconds to catch up. It doesn't seem to matter where I am logged on from, this happens on good internet and bad.
    Tell me and I forget, teach me and
    I remember, involve me and I
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    It's the mapper display that does this. Not only does the display update inaccurately if you move around quickly (ie map thinks you are in a different room than you are), the map takes a good half-second or so to render every time you move, and it tries to do it while pathfinding via in-game paths, for each room, which means the client can hang for about 30-60 seconds after a long path. I've bugged it and messaged Razmael/Oleis about it - given that guilds start newbies off with PATH FIND GUILD and the Academies have newbies using pathfinding right away, I really think this should be a priority bug, as it's something people are seeing in the first hour of gameplay.
    IrruelIshin
    I don't know if this thread is still listened to by @cromm, but I think a pretty fabulous thing you guys could do would be to really improve the map functionality - navigation and being able to visualize the game world is a key thing new players struggle with.

Creating a popup map display, that's image-mapped, would be fantastic. Hover over a zone, it'll say the name, suggested levels, click would calculate a path to there. Maybe give a zoom-in option for places like cities so you could see landmarks mapped out (the guards, in aetolia at least, already give directions to there, so the coordinates are already documented). It'd be nice if the overview was done with some actual artwork, versus just generated line maps, and you guys could always hold special artisanals to get the images if needed.

Also, let us move pop-up windows outside of the browser. I like that the help files pop up in their own window, but if I try to drag it across my screen (i play with two screens) it won't move beyond the confines of the browser window (which means it covers the MUD output, so i can't read a help scroll in one window and watch what is going on in the game in the main window). I tried making the browser bigger, and stuff just auto-resized, with the help windows still floating smack dab over the output.
    Ishin
    Aaaalso, maybe some more sound plugins? Noises when you level up, optional noises when someone sends you a tell or message, maybe even background ambient sounds for terrain types (birds in forest, waves in beach), etc, all of these can really enhance the gameplay. I really like the music choices, and would also totally love to hear more little songs on the loop.
    Ishin