Character Creation

So on a less salty note I decided to test character generation.

First, if you pick Indorani class you can join any city. I picked Duiran, I thought that fit well.

Obvious bug aside, it also means monks get automatically funneled to Duiran and Syssin to Spinesreach, because of the guild. Since they can join ANY  city, I'd suggest the following:

- Provide a brief breakdown of each city and have that selected first
- List classes linked to that city for selection, with a BACK option to return to city select
- For classes without a guild in that city (Indo in Duiran haha), a warning "You have picked a class not native to the city. Would you like to join a different guild, or remain guildless?" And then the option to enroll in a guild directly that way
- Allow shapeshifter to be selected at char gen
- I will rewrite an entire tutorial if it means getting off of Slaver's Isle

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
(Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

ZailaMoxieSteeleLuasLeanaAloli

Comments

• Not sure if you'd be able to pick shifter at chargen, you'd have to revert to be able to revert to _something_. Everything else sounds like a good idea to me though
  • ZailaZaila Pacific Time
    Some people genuinely like being able to revert to a nothing, they find it a fun character trait. That said - if you had the capacity to choose just-shifter as your starting class, that warning should be made all sorts of bold and in your face.

"YOU WILL BE PRETTY USELESS WHILE NOT IN YOUR SHAPESHIFTED FORM IF YOU START WITH TAKE THIS CLASS"
    TozLeana
  • Steele said:
    Not sure if you'd be able to pick shifter at chargen, you'd have to revert to be able to revert to _something_. Everything else sounds like a good idea to me though
    Yeah a few notable shifters just don't have another class. Does the same thing being classless normally does.

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

Sklax
  • To piggyback on this topic, I'd like to address the character creation via the website. Later on in this post I ask for a new tutorial and the choice to keep the old one. So... feel free to skip to that.

If you create a character via Nexus, you pick your race, guild, city, and then character info. There's an option to go back at any point and notes about being able to change your choices later in the game(I assume this refers to the Academy). Picking a guild limits city selection and there's brief descriptions for everything. All-in-all, pretty good!

I like to suggest updating this to follow Toz's suggestions with a new set of choices. First, change the categories to better reflect the focus of the game: Race, City, Class(Rename the Guild tab), and Character Info. When in the classes category, list only classes able to join the chosen city, with a note by each stating whether they have a formal guild or another structure, such as Consanguine Houses, the new Indorani faction, or lycanthrope packs(Also being weak in normal form). Display a warning for standalone classes in big bright RED text: First time Aetolians joining a guildless class will have a more challenging experience navigating the world! You will be able to join a guild even if your class does not have one. (Hint at multiclass)

Nightstalker and Wayfarer are choices currently, each with special city selections. I'm not sure how easy it would be but just add each Lycan type and give them the same city choice as Wayfarer, with the same warning as above. I think people coming to play a game entirely made of text can handle a concept of "If I choose to play as a Lycan and a Class, I'll have to split my resources a lot or get more."

I wouldn't remove Slaver's isle, even if a new one is already in the works. Make it so a newbie can pick between scenarios, like Slaver's isle or being lost in Albedos and having to make your way back to Sapience. That first login could have an option like this: 'Tutorial: Background Life as a slave, Tutorial: Background Albedos Odyssey, No Tutorial: Not recommended.' Letting them know that this will give them a backstory of sorts to build off of and move past. Let them know that without the introduction they can still do everything, join the city and guild of their choice, but they will need to seek out another adventurer for that help.

I got a little carried away but that's how I am. If there's something us players can do to make these things come to be, even if we have to sign NDAs which will result in legal trouble, I'd be down to help churn out the content. I'm sure many others would be too.

TozVyxsisAloliTekiasRhineIanthe