To Catch a Fish

PhoeneciaPhoenecia The Merchant of EsterportSomewhere in Attica
Background: As part of the ongoing crisis with the Leviathan, Slyphe sought out the best smiths in Enorian and Duiran to aid in building a weapon for hunting and catching spawn of the Leviathan. 

Five smiths answered the call - Phoenecia, Luas, Rasani, Belgarion, and Aoi (who wasn't able to participate to the end due to RL commitments) - and were assigned different parts of a ballista to design and build.

There were a few interactions involving the recruitment and planning stages that I wasn't able to save, but this is the culmination of it.

--------

A chamber depicting times of day.
------ v55115 -------
           / \
        [ ] [ ] [ ]
         | \ | / |
         | [ ] |
         | / \ |
        [+] [ ]
           \ /
            [ ]
             |
            [>]

------ -2:9:1 -------

A similar pattern of grey sandstone walls and sea-stones in the ceiling carries through this hallway. The western wall has been carefully painted with a large mural across every inch of it before stopping abruptly toward the north and southeast hallways that are tethered in those directions. The thin line of yellow-hue, resembling a beach, runs all along the center of the wall. Starting in the southern corner of that line, a small orange crescent begins to peak above the surface of that beach. As the mural continues towards the northern, the orange globe - resembling the sun - moves more upwards and then back downwards, similar to its path during the daytime. In opposition to this motion, the moon follows a similar pattern on the bottom half of the beach and crescents downards to a peak and then heads back downwards to meet the sun that is setting on the northern end. A entryway is set in the northeast wall, leading off to a large, open-air space and revealing a glimpse to the other nearby chambers. A kelki temple guardian stands alert here, trident at the ready. Evira, the Slyphian Machinist is here. A heavy steel chest rests here off to the side of the workshop floor. A small machinist's station is arrayed at the southwest corner of the room.

You have emoted: Phoenecia is sitting on a crate of rivets, one leg crossed over the other. "Did you bring your portion of the work?"

Belgarion Amaratha, The Executioner says, "You know..."

Belgarion Amaratha, The Executioner says, "I should totaly pick that up."

Belgarion reaches back through the fiery portal and grabs tall box, with a mithril gear bolted into each side, with a coil of rope wrapped around it. He proceeds to do this 6 times, sweat starting to form on his brow as he is finishing.

Belgarion Amaratha, The Executioner says, "I'm still working on the spares."

Belgarion Amaratha, The Executioner says, "I'll need to see the frame assembled, or at least have the detailed plans to finish the assemblage."

Belgarion Amaratha, The Executioner says, "That silk was a resounding success. It was able to hold the weight of 5 horses straining against it."

Belgarion Amaratha, The Executioner says, "I dare say we could shoot a harpoon from the coast to Polyargos if our frame is set up right, and the projectile aims true."

You have emoted: Phoenecia's antennae twitch, and she smiles proudly. "Ah, excellent. I've got the frames all over there," she says, nodding to the dozen or so heavy stands shoved into the corner.

Belgarion Amaratha, The Executioner says, "Wonderful. I will take measurements while we...We are waiting for others, yes?"

You nod your head emphatically.

You have emoted: Phoenecia shoves herself off of the crate she sits on and moves to drag one of the frames out for you to examine. It stands several feet tall and wide, a large ball joint sitting atop the stand for where the ballista is meant to attach to.

Belgarion walks close to the frame with a scrutinizing eye. He pulls out a rope with many knots through its length, and begins to measure different surfaces. He carefully notes the information on a small board, while occasionally mumbling to himself, sometimes with a smile, and sometimes with a wince or a raised eyebrow.

Belgarion Amaratha, The Executioner says, "Well, it would seem you've set us up to be able to mount a mighty weapon on that. A few minor modifications, and this might be better than I originally intended."

Belgarion Amaratha, The Executioner says, "I wasn't sure we we were going to go with a pivoting system with them being mounted broadside and side by side."

You have emoted: "So the ballista will be mounted on top here," Phoenecia explains, gesturing to the ball joint. "Easier to move and aim. I've also constructed an attachment for locking it in place once on target - a foot pedal on the base."

You say, "And I've developed an attachment to reduce recoil."

Pondering you, Belgarion strokes his beard thoughtfully.

Belgarion Amaratha, The Executioner says, "Now that is what I'm talking about."

Belgarion Amaratha, The Executioner says, "I can't wait to see what we are going to be shooting out of this thing.."

Luas inclines his head politely to those around him.

You have emoted: Phoenecia grins at her creation, and then waves to the crate of rivets she had been sitting on. "Anaxagorite rivets. Should be heavy enough to keep it all in place."

Belgarion Amaratha, The Executioner says, "I had been thinking of using anaxagorite myself, but wanted to stick with the mithril motif."

Cahirek Luas Harker says to you, "You called for me, miss?"

A torrent of water swirls about the area before dispersing to reveal the form of Slyphe, the Maelstrom.
Evira, the Slyphian machinist beams broadly at Slyphe, setting aside her work to offer a bow. "Greetings, Changing God!" she states happily.

Luas bows respectfully to Slyphe.

You have emoted: Phoenecia nods, and then gestures to the ballistae mechanisms from Belgarion, and her frames and rivets. "The Maelstrom wanted us to assem--" she stops abruptly and bows stiffly. "Ack! Greetings, Maelstrom!"

Slyphe, the Maelstrom says, "Show Me your works."

Belgarion bows respectfully to Slyphe.

Belgarion looks about himself, rubbing his chin thoughtfully.

Luas extends his protection to Rasani.

Luas bows his head in prayer.
Rasani arrives in answer to the summons.

Rasani gives Slyphe a respectful salute.

You have emoted: Phoenecia waves a hand to the frame she had already wheeled out for Belgarion's benefit, the heavy wooden structure standing several feet high and wide, and outfitted with a large ball joint at the top meant for attaching the ballista to. "The frames are all ready to go. I've made them so it will be easy to aim."

You say, "And with Luas' help, I've designed a method for locking them in place once on target, as well as a mechanism for absorbing recoil."

Luas exchanges a faint, weary half-smile with you for the mention.

You say, "And for rivets..."

You have emoted: Phoenecia wanders over to kick the crate near the workstation. "Anaxagorite. Heavy enough to keep everything in place."

Belgarion Amaratha, The Executioner says, "Well, I worked with the darkwood gathered, and mithril that I dug from the desert, as was asked of us. I've brought the torsion springs today, made of darkwood boxes, with mithril gears on each side, attached a rod coiled with rope made from silk that Phoenecia obtained for me also. I have created a lubricant from nazetu slime and some liquid I had encountered in the Nal'jin Depths. We will be able to use this to both keep the moving pieces smooth, but it is extremely resistant to moisture and should be able to keep consistancy even in the salty spray of the sea."

Rasani moves up slightly, undraping a massive mithril chain from her shoulders. "Th' chain, Maelstrom."

Rasani drops a massive chain of mithril.

Slyphe squints quietly. "Nazetu slime?" comes the question.

Belgarion Amaratha, The Executioner says, "I believe I could find something else to replace that. It held its consistancy with the oily fluid best, while thickening it considerably."

You have emoted: Phoenecia grimaces at the mention of slime and takes a few steps away from Belgarion.

Belgarion Amaratha, The Executioner says, "But I'm sure if I spend a bit of time I could find something to replace it."

Belgarion Amaratha, The Executioner says, "I'll not feel sorry for the ones that lost their existance for what I harvested."

You say, "Arqueshi can produce it too.”

Belgarion Amaratha, The Executioner says, "I use what is at hand. I kill a lot of them, noticed how easy it was to fall and slip around their corpses and thought it would be a useful substance."

Slyphe, the Maelstrom says, "Mm."

Belgarion Amaratha, The Executioner says to you, "You'll have to show me what that is. I'm not familiar."

Belgarion Amaratha, The Executioner says to Slyphe, "I mean no offense."

Cahirek Luas Harker says, "I've yet to put together the finalized prototype harpoon, but I can do that this week. I had toyed with ideas surrounding spliced wood-and-metal structure and curved barbs to encourage spin, but the former introduced too many weak points, and the latter would only have the potential to compromise the chain dragged behind. Eventually, with miss Sinclair's assistance, I settled on a design of solid klaio bronze with twin tines for puncture and barbs for catching."

Luas loosely clasps his hands at his back and surmises, "I tested the basic theory on a set of scales obtained from the Dame's Escape. It'll work." The last two words are stated with some confidence.

You have emoted: Phoenecia nods her head at Luas, smiling - or rather, grinning. "We spent some time looking over the blueprints. I think everything should work quite well together."

Luas returns your nod with one of his own.

Slyphe paces back and forth, looking at the gathered designs, pieces, parts. His mind races with ideas and machinations, even as He spares a glance at Evira. "This will suffice, My smiths. Help Me in putting together the prototype design."

Slyphe, the Maelstrom says, "... ah."

You have emoted: Phoenecia nods curtly. "As You wish, Maelstrom. Most of the crucial components are here, and what isn't can be built relatively quickly."

Slyphe grumbles unhappily. "Think amongst yourselves - I will return shortly."

You have emoted: Phoenecia doesn't seem to be listening, instead focused on finding what she's seeking. Eventually, she does find it - a long, wooden channel presumably for loading harpoons. "Ah, there we are."

Belgarion looks about himself, rubbing his chin thoughtfully.

Belgarion Amaratha, The Executioner says, "I feel like I missed something."

Belgarion Amaratha, The Executioner says, "I've got enough torsion spring boxes to equip 3 full ballista on hand."

You have emoted: Phoenecia huffs and glances over at the frame sitting in the middle of the floor, and then at the springs. She flutters over to the additional frames and begins rooting through them, seemingly in search of something. "Where did I put the loading ports...?"

Belgarion Amaratha, The Executioner says, "I'll be honest, I had meant to ask, was worried about it... I crafted a few possibilities, but wasn't sure if I was reproducing someone elses task.."

Luas tilts his head curiously at Belgarion.

You have emoted: Phoenecia doesn't seem to be listening, instead focused on finding what she's seeking. Eventually, she does find it - a long, wooden channel presumably for loading harpoons. "Ah, there we are."

Luas takes an elegant white letter from a bottomless letter satchel.

Luas opens an elegant white letter.

Luas pauses and takes a moment to gather his thoughts before he begins to write.

Luas begins composing a missive, and shimmers from sight.

Luas hands a letter to a homing pigeon, which takes it in its beak, allowing it to flutter off into the air. After a few moments, it returns with the letter gone.

A homing pigeon flutters in towards you, gliding over you as it drops an elegant white letter into your hands before flapping away once more.

You say, "We need to put all of the components we each made to make a working prototype, and then fine-tune it from there."

Luas frowns at the fat pigeon in disapproval, now that he can see exactly how long it takes for the bird to deliver its mail. Then he nods at you, peels his gloves off, and rolls his sleeves up, ready to work.

Belgarion Amaratha, The Executioner says to you, "Alright then. I'll need to make those adjustments I was talking about on the fly."

Belgarion takes his board back from under his cloak and walks over to one of the spring cases.

Luas has settled in amongst the stacked bronze, sorting through the material with a critical eye for the best pieces. "What become of Aoi?" he asks conversationally to you.

You have emoted: Phoenecia glances over at Luas while she's in the midst of hauling the harpoon channel over to her frame. "Aoi informed me he wouldn't be able to complete his portion of the work. Hence why I ended up making the rivets. I cobbled together some extra parts too. Just in case."

A torrent of water swirls about the area before dispersing to reveal the form of Slyphe, the Maelstrom.
A kelki temple guardian looks Slyphe over once before relaxing his grip.
Evira, the Slyphian machinist beams broadly at Slyphe, setting aside her work to offer a bow. "Greetings, Changing God!" she states happily.

Rasani rubs her hands."Point me where yyy' need me."

"I figured," is Luas's casual reply. He had guessed as much from seeing that you had put the rivets together herself. Glancing up, he abandons his inspection of the bronze to instead go help you with the loading channel.

Slyphe, the Maelstrom says, "Pray tell, smiths, have you a blueprint? I shall work My power upon it."

"I have one for the harpoon, Maelstrom," Luas replies, immediately unslinging his pack from his shoulder to retrieve it.

Luas takes an elegant white letter from a bottomless letter satchel.

Luas opens an elegant white letter.

Luas pauses and takes a moment to gather his thoughts before he begins to write.

Luas begins composing a missive, and shimmers from sight.

Luas hands a letter to a homing pigeon, which takes it in its beak, allowing it to flutter off into the air. After a few moments, it returns with the letter gone.

Slyphe, the Maelstrom says, "Indeed - harpoons of klaio, rivets of anaxagorite, frame of ironwood."

Belgarion Amaratha, The Executioner says, "And the machinery is made from darkwood and mithril, m'Lord. Ready now."

A homing pigeon flutters in towards Slyphe, gliding over It as it drops an elegant white letter into Its hands before flapping away once more.

You have emoted: Phoenecia is in the middle of struggling with the harpoon channel when Slyphe returns. She smiles gratefully at Luas, but then sets down the channel, pulling a large, rolled up blueprint from her kitbag and offering it to Slyphe.

Belgarion finishes with the marking on his slate board and hand's it to Slyphe.

Belgarion Amaratha, The Executioner says, "I've marked what modifications will be needed to the original from what I've noted about each of the individual items, on how the springs will need to be set to frame and sling."

Slyphe, the Maelstrom says, "A moment, then, as I work."

Belgarion fidgets about anxiously, unable to stay still.

Slyphe, the Maelstrom says, "Describe a symbol, each of you, that shall serve as your signature."

Belgarion Amaratha, The Executioner says, "The Amarathan seal, a hooded viper uncoiling into a menacing lunge."

You have emoted: Phoenecia tilts her head, hand rising to brush over the ornament on the front of her collar. "Mine is an azure rose, of course."

Luas's brows draw together in a frown at the idea of that kind of recognition. But he's not about to decline the order of a God. He glances down at his bared hand and the signet ring on his pinky, briefly brushing a thumb over the symbol there. Eventually, without looking up, he describes, "A white stallion, salient."

Knight Rasani Morrog, the Spiritforged says, "M' forgin' symbol. An impression of four knuckles, with a thumb mark over th' middle two."

Slyphe raises Her hands, willing silence in the room - Evira works like a madwoman, putting pieces and raw material alike within reach of the Fabricator, reborn in this moment. The God seems to flicker, drawing upon essence deep within, as She works Her magic. When she grips bronze, it molds before Her touch like clay, and when She grips wood, it bends, shrinks, or grows as if controlled by some force. Rivets are spun into place as if they had a mind of their own, and the bow of the massive weapon is strung by a God's mighty arm. Finally, chains rising like snakes, the harpoons are loaded, attached to their leashes like ravenous beasts, and Slyphe stands back, Her work complete.

Slyphe drops a massive Slyphian siege ballista.

Belgarion stares at a massive Slyphian siege ballista and blinks.

Rasani stares, her grin growing wider. "Incredible." She rumbles, looking to Evira. "You takin' apprentices?"

Rasani stares, her grin growing wider. "Incredible." She rumbles, looking to Evira. "You takin' apprentices?”

Luas slowly paces on the outskirts of the room as he watches Slyphe work, not wanting to get in the way, but much too interested in the process to be still. When the work is done and the ballista is completed, all he can do is stand and marvel at it.

Evira, the Slyphian machinist openly weeps at the sight of the ballista, dropping to her knees in an uncharacteristic show of gravitas, for the normally hyper machinist. Her mouth is agape, unable to answer, and she mutters a prayer to Slyphe, before finally regaining her composure. "Ah... I... maybe...?" Awestruck as she is, her eyes cannot be torn from the masterpiece.

A masterpiece of forging and imbued with the will of the Divine, this enormous weapon of war has been pieced together from the hard work of several smiths. Larger than the average human male twice over, an enormous frame of dark ironwood supports machinery of darkwood and mithril, the ball joint to allow mobility crafted with precision and durability in mind. The entire thing is riveted together with carefully crafted anaxagorite, securing it against nearly any impact, and the bowstring for launching truly immense barbed bolts of weeping klaio bronze. The bolts, crafted to be harpoons, are held on by titanic chains, making them excellent fishing harpoons, but any normal fish would be obliterated by something of this size. It bears the marks of several master smiths: A white stallion, salient, for Luas; a hooded viper uncoiling into a lunge, for Belgarion; an rose of inlaid sapphire, for Phoenecia; and an impression of four knuckles, a thumb mark over the middle two, for Rasani - finally, it bears the mark and the power of Slyphe, the Fabricator, a kelki rune stylized into a trident.
It is strangely weightless.

Evira, the Slyphian machinist exhales a long-held breath, taking in Her work, then looking to the gathered smiths. "Rejoice. Your works shall strike down the children of rage."

Slyphe smirks at this, reaching out to soothe Evira, the Slyphian machinist with a head upon the machinist's hand. "Well spoken, Mine."

Luas had remained as incapable of speech as Evira, the Slyphian machinist for a good while there, but he eventually stops staring to clear his throat and address the rest of the room. "It's an honour to have been a part of this, and to have worked with you all."

Rasani can barely contain her excitement, fingers twitching around the handle of her forging hammer. "Truly 'n honor."

Belgarion Amaratha, The Executioner says, "Such a work of art...had I known that metal and wood could bend and flow like clay, I could have saved myself some time for sure."

You have emoted: Phoenecia simply stares in awe at the completed weapon, her mouth hanging open. When she finally recovers, she can only shake her head. "I've seen Your works before, Maelstrom, but this...is something else entirely. I'm humbled to have been able to have aided in this endeavor, and proud to have worked alongside such skilled craftsmen."

Rasani seems distracted, then nods. "Is there anythin' further y' need of me, Maelstrom? Yer trident workin' out?"

Evira, the Slyphian machinist says, "'A Master Needs No Tools', my mother used to say. I'd... never seen it in action.”

Belgarion Amaratha, The Executioner says, "What a marvelous machine, far greater than the sum of the parts I'd say. Divinely inspired for certain."

Slyphe nods to Rasani. "When this is over, if I yet stand upon Sapience, expect My gratitude in more tangible form."

Rasani salutes. "If th' Gods are not standin', I don't intend t' be, so it works.”

Slyphe, the Maelstrom says, "Historian, you will record this. A simple summary to be added to the Tome - and something a little more... prose-worthy, for the public news. The praise it generates shall recoup My expenditure here."

Belgarion Amaratha, The Executioner says, "It was an honour working alongside each of you."

Knight Rasani Morrog, the Spiritforged says, "May we do so again soon, under less dire circumstances."

A thread of concern works its way onto Luas's brow at the sound of that 'if', troubled by such a possibility. But he says nothing, only readies to depart like the rest. He performs a crisp, respectful salute.

Luas nods his head affirmatively at Rasani.

Knight Rasani Morrog, the Spiritforged says, "Perhaps a statue to Evira."

The corners of Rasani's mouth turn up as she grins mischievously.

Rasani gives the world a smart salute.

Luas fishes a golden device out of his pocket and follows Rasani's example, taking his leave without further comment.

You have emoted: Phoenecia's antennae twitch as she stares at Slyphe, and then at her tome, seemingly surprised. "I can actually write in this? I thought it wrote itself.”

Belgarion Amaratha, The Executioner says, "I will dedicate the next huntings to further bolster the effort towards fashioning the rest of the ballista, m'Lord."

Belgarion kneels onto one knee, demonstrating his humility and respect.

Slyphe nods Its head at Belgarion sagely.
Slyphe, the Maelstrom says to Belgarion, "Go in My blessing, master smith."

Slyphe, the Maelstrom has bestowed a divine blessing upon you. It will last for 3 days.

Belgarion Amaratha, The Executioner says to Evira, the Slyphian machinist, "If ever you do teach advanced courses...please do tell."

Belgarion Amaratha, The Executioner says, "Aye."

Slyphe, the Maelstrom says to you, "Send Me the summary - when I will it, the Tome will accept your recordings."

You have emoted: Phoenecia stares at the Historian's Tome for several long moments, tapping the cover curiously before offering Slyphe a deep bow. "Of course, Maelstrom. I will pen something that ought to generate buzz. And perhaps earns us more aid for when our little...'fishing trip' occurs."

Slyphe nods Its head emphatically.

Slyphe, the Maelstrom says, "So be it, Mine. You have done so well in this - know that I am pleased beyond measure. Know that, no matter what..."

Slyphe grits Her teeth for a moment, glancing to the northwest for what feels like an eternity. "You are Mine. You are loved. I cannot be destroyed - and My word is eternal." The words come heavy, lacking the usual gaity of the Goddess' speech to Her beloved Order. "So long as the ocean lives, so shall our bond."

Tears flow freely from your eyes as your beloved God promotes you to of the Slyphian Council.

You have emoted: Phoenecia's antennae droop, her expression suddenly anxious. The sentence needs no finishing. "As deep and boundless as the sea," she murmurs in agreement. The Yeleni, too, is rather serious in her demeanor, lacking her typical cheer. "I'll do...whatever it takes to ensure You endure, Maelstrom."

You have emoted: Phoenecia runs a hand over the scar beneath her collar, staring at her god for a long time. For a while, it seems as though she might say something more, but for whatever reason, she does not.

Slyphe allows a smile to creep onto Her features, though it carries with it the weight of centuries of fear, now realized. "So shall I, Historian. Go now, in My blessing. I will see you next aboard the Admiral."

Slyphe's form bursts into a torrent of water that washes over the area violently until it disperses and They are gone.

LuasKelliaraBenedictoPazradymMeihui