The Sect Reborn

IosyneIosyne the Lair
edited January 2013 in Aetolia Development
The Sect of Blades have reunited their membership and rebuilt their hall, determined to create a new order where warriors are united by their courage, their fortitude, and their honor. United by a common cause, the members of the Sect live and die in the pursuit of honorable combat. Located in Delos, the Hall of Blades awaits warriors of all ages and sizes to test themselves, and prove themselves worthy of walking among the ranks of the dueling elite. 

Grab your curatives (or popcorn, if you're just going to watch) and let the bloodshed commence! 
SeirMastemaXiuhcoatl

Comments

• What's the definition of an assist? Please include time frame. 
  • RazmaelRazmael Administrator, Immortal
    Any attack made on the person in the last 60 seconds.
  • SeirSeir Seein' All the Things Getting high off your emotion
    Hooray for encouraging solo combat.
  • edited January 2013
    Couple things:

* Killing another Sect member without any assists will reveal you for five hours.

So after your first kill, you'll basically be open pk forever? I was under the impression you could remain somewhat anonymous if you didn't go around killing other Sect members for no reason (other than being a Sect member).

CROWN OF OMENS:
    - For every player who has hostility on you, you gain 10% additional dodge, and 
    take 5% reduced damage from each type of damage that cannot be dodged. Maximum 
    of 10 stacks.

If I'm reading this right, you'd be able to get 100% dodge? 10% dodge is already very very good. That arti would fly off the shevles at just 10%. The stacking on it seems like a lot.
    Mastema
  • edited January 2013
    I tend to agree that the reveal thing sounds a bit iffy. I may have got it wrong, but if I kill "Sam" everyone now knows who I am. This puts me off a bit as I may want to join, but stay unknown and only fight other mid tier fighters without being griefed over and over. Otherwise I think this is a brillant addition and I want to say thank you for all the work.
    Carnifex failing since 2011. Fixes coming Soon ™
  • IllikaalIllikaal Pray Area
    edited January 2013
    I might stack multiplicatively. If it stacks additively though, then people would think twice about trying to cluster gently caress someone. I like it.

It probably wouldn't protect you from undodgeable attacks like hangedman or web that remove your ability to dodge entirely.
    "And finally, swear to Me: You will give your life to Dendara for you are Tiarna an-Kiar."
  • IosyneIosyne the Lair
    Keep in mind you always have the option to quit the Sect and rejoin after a year. You will not lose your accumulated marks or standings in the Sect (aside from perhaps being removed from the Sect Council if you were there to begin with). 
  • HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    Feichin said:
    Couple things:

* Killing another Sect member without any assists will reveal you for five hours.

So after your first kill, you'll basically be open pk forever? I was under the impression you could remain somewhat anonymous if you didn't go around killing other Sect members for no reason (other than being a Sect member).

CROWN OF OMENS:
    - For every player who has hostility on you, you gain 10% additional dodge, and 
    take 5% reduced damage from each type of damage that cannot be dodged. Maximum 
    of 10 stacks.

If I'm reading this right, you'd be able to get 100% dodge? 10% dodge is already very very good. That arti would fly off the shevles at just 10%. The stacking on it seems like a lot.

If I'm reading this right, you'd only get 100% dodge if 10 players are attacking you.
    ¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
  • How customisable will those behead messages be? I think I'd rather not see the customisation being used to conceal beheads in combat spam (just look at what was happening with teradrim Chasm before everyone got the new lines).

Daskalos
  • This seems pretty fun! Hope it works out for the combatants.

Question: Does healing/curing (with an ability) a sect member fighting another sect member count as assisting in the coding?
  • IosyneIosyne the Lair
    If it isn't, it will be.
    Angwe
  • edited January 2013
    Can my behead, be my character devouring the head? That would be, the most satisfying unlock ever. If people actually join the damn thing. 
    Also a suggestion. In order to prevent teaming and enforce 1v1. Make it so that you can sect challenge someone, and move to a 3x3 area until one dies. That would make the almost 100k price tag on it worth it. 
    HavenCalipso
    Xiuhcoatl said:
    Can my behead, be my character devouring the head? That would be, the most satisfying unlock ever. If people actually join the damn thing. 
    Also a suggestion. In order to prevent teaming and enforce 1v1. Make it so that you can sect challenge someone, and move to a 3x3 area until one dies. That would make the almost 100k price tag on it worth it. 
    I posted something similar a while ago but if I recall correctly people didn't take to it because they felt it was too close to the arena or something.
    havenbanner2
  • It already prevents teaming as it is. If you get an assist, you don't get points. If someone touches you at the start of the minute, and then the minute goes by (they haven't touched you again) you probably were going to die in the first place. Anyone trying to argue that would be lolzy. 

If people complained about the timer being too short, then they could easily just move the timer's duration up from a minute to like a minute and a half or even two minutes.

"And finally, swear to Me: You will give your life to Dendara for you are Tiarna an-Kiar."
  • IosyneIosyne the Lair
    Ilyon said:
    How customisable will those behead messages be? I think I'd rather not see the customisation being used to conceal beheads in combat spam (just look at what was happening with teradrim Chasm before everyone got the new lines).

Sorry for missing this earlier. We don't plan on changing the 2P lines for the customized behead. You should not have to worry about missing a behead message from a victim's perspective.
    Ilyon
  • AngweAngwe I'm the dog that ate yr birthday cake Bedford, VA
    So, what is customisable about it?
  • IosyneIosyne the Lair
    How it looks to everyone else, of course!
  • Iosyne said:
    Ilyon said:
    How customisable will those behead messages be? I think I'd rather not see the customisation being used to conceal beheads in combat spam (just look at what was happening with teradrim Chasm before everyone got the new lines).

Sorry for missing this earlier. We don't plan on changing the 2P lines for the customized behead. You should not have to worry about missing a behead message from a victim's perspective.
    mmm I agree the warning message of a behead should not be changed, but any chance the death-message itself (that being when the sword finally slices through the neck) could be tweaked?
  • So, with the release of this arena that's supposedly coming, I had a concern. There's certain 'combatants' out there that do nothing but troll their opponent by wasting their time, and doing annoying things in general such as repeatedly shielding, running away, intentionally spamming emotes in an attempt to make their opponent lag, and or spamming nothing but their best hindering skills. 

Between all of that and even a half decent curing system, the aggressor won't get very far, and the annoying person will keep performing said annoying tactics until the end of time. Of course, the aggressor isn't going to roll over and hand them the kill. Since the arena is fight to the death, how do you expect to remedy such situations? Adding in the pixie dust cloud should not be a solution, because I still believe that it benefits venom/speed affliction classes much more than it would benefit a monk, lycanthrope, or even a teradrim. How do you expect to remedy this problem?
  • DaskalosDaskalos Credit Whore Extraordinare Rolling amongst piles of credits.

intentionally spamming emotes in an attempt to make their opponent lag

^^ This. So much this. The person that's doing it even SAYS he knows he does it but that it's 'just how his system works'. I can't fight him without lagging out everytime he gets hit with stupidity.

Message #17059 Sent By: Oleis           Received On: 1/03/2014/17:24
    "If it makes you feel better, just checking your artifact list threatens to crash my mudlet."

• That sounds like an abuse of mechanics honestly.
    MastemaHavenXavinLinIllikaalAmara
    edited February 2013
    Pretty sure there's a big rule being broken there too. Report them and let the Admin deal with it.

Edit: As for the other issue, I'd just say it should follow this format: After 5 minutes of fighting the instance changes from a 5 room instance into a 3 room instance. After 10 minutes of fighting the instance changes from a 3 room instance into a 1 room instance.
    havenbanner2
  • Daskalos said:

intentionally spamming emotes in an attempt to make their opponent lag

^^ This. So much this. The person that's doing it even SAYS he knows he does it but that it's 'just how his system works'. I can't fight him without lagging out everytime he gets hit with stupidity.

That's only more incriminating. HELP SPAM clearly states that no player should ever spam another with unwanted messages. The fact that said someone put that into their system as a mechanic in the first place is just idiotic. 
  • I have a feeling that the person responsible is also the same person that spams doppelgangers entering and leaving rooms.

Starts with an X

"If it makes you feel better, just checking your artifact list threatens to crash my mudlet."

• KiyotanKiyotan spectacular vernacular Summit of the Falconmount
    Hey I know that guy
    Some may say we've lost our way, but I believe we've not gone far enough.
  • Ends with a market tell.

RhoIosyneLinEzalorIllikaal
  • I didn't notice him doing that when we fought, then again he may not have needed to as I had my tree/focus curing inadvertently disabled.
    Basically, what he does is when he gets stupidity all his commands go through a special filter that triples everything to make sure it goes through (instead of focusing on curing it, he just spams all his commands). Then as stupidity makes him do all these things, it bounces to use. Add in that his system, as best I can tell, is generally spammy, and it's a hundred lines flying at you everytime he gets afflicted. It's nuts. And spamtastic.

Well... when you put it that way it sounds more like bad coding rather than intentional rule breaking.
    havenbanner2