Teaching Elerl the ways of the Wolf

TeaniTeani Shadow MistressSweden
During the war in Three Widows, Teani managed to get on the good side of Elerl, Elder of Heylai. He requested if he could learn some skills from her, and this is how that went:

------------------
The Gladel Forge. (Mount Heylai.)

A young dwarf throws up her hands and cheers wildly for you!

Elder Elerl of Heylai glances up at Teani.
Elder Elerl of Heylai says, "'ello Miss Teani."

Teani smiles at the enthusiastic greeting from the young dwarf, then turns to Elder Elerl of Heylai. "I'm doing quite well this week, Elder. How are you?"

Nodding his head, Elder Elerl of Heylai says, "Oh, fine, fine. Been nice and quiet."

Fezzix opens up a lion-engraved cigar box and produces a cigar, raising it to his lips and lighting it in the process. "Don't mind me," he says casually.

Fezzix exhales a white cloud of smoke, redolent with pungent scents.

Elder Elerl of Heylai nods his head at Fezzix.

Elder Elerl of Heylai says, "Nothing like a good smoke, eh?"

Teani gestures at Fezzix, making a possibly unnecessary introduction. "You've met the Warden before."

Elder Elerl of Heylai says, "We don't get much of the stuff down here, though I should really get some for myself."

Elder Elerl of Heylai nods his head at you.

Fezzix smiles and says, "I love my stogies."

The corners of Elder Elerl of Heylai's mouth turn up as he grins mischievously.

You say, "I'm sure we can set something up so you can get them here. I know a woman who makes excellent smokes."

Fezzix nods his head at you, showing his acceptance.

Elder Elerl of Heylai nods towards you and smiles broadly, "I'd try just about anything and it'd be appreciated."

Fezzix glances inside a lion-engraved cigar box and grimaces. "Looks like I'm on my last one, now. Otherwise I'd share," he says.

Elder Elerl of Heylai nods his head at Fezzix.

Elder Elerl of Heylai says, "It's fine. I'm sure we can work out something."

Teani chuckles. "We'll make sure to send some your way, Elder." Clearing her throat, she clasps her hands behind her back.

Elder Elerl of Heylai takes a more upright stance, though it does nothing to improve his short stature.

"I'm assuming this is a good time to start the training?" Teani asks, looking at the dwarf, then quickly says, "You don't have to worry about stature when in wolf form. Your mass will be... redistributed, sort of, as you change."

Canting his head curiously, Elder Elerl of Heylai looks at you for a moment before it seems to sink in and he relaxes, "Sorry, used to being all formal. We were like your Paladins for a long time."

"Size don't matter if you use your skills right," Fezzix mutters as he leans up against an unused anvil.

Elder Elerl of Heylai says, "All of this is new to us, though I'm excited for it."

Teani shoots Elerl a reassuring smile. "While respect is important to wolves, and you keep to a certain hierarchy, being formal is only necessary during certain rituals." She looks the dwarf into his eyes. "You were interested in possibly joining the Pack as well?"

Elder Elerl of Heylai says, "I think many of mine would be willing to join the Pack, but likely start with me."

Elder Elerl of Heylai says, "Don't want to overwhelm you!"

Teani's expression brightens, but her tone remains serious. "You should know that the Pack I am in still holds to the old edicts of the Atabahi Rout. Our prime directives are Ferocity, Loyalty and Perseverance." She ticks each off on a clawed finger. "We'll go over each of them later, because I think it's easier to connect them once you.. think like a wolf. So,
transformation first!"

Fezzix's eyes shift back and forth between Elder Elerl of Heylai and you as he puffs idly on the cigar protruding from his mouth.

Elder Elerl of Heylai nods his head towards you, his expression becoming more stern, "How..do..I do that exactly?" He stares down at himself and then back up at you, "Do I have to get bit like them vampire types?"

Teani looks down at her hands for a moment, holding them out in front of herself. "For some, like myself, who have been wolves for a long time it almost takes more effort -not- to be a wolf than to be one." She turns her eyes to Elerl and explains. "Your physical form is something of the mind. The most base form, the feral form, is what makes it possible to shift into an animal. You can only achieve this by letting go of the strangle-hold you have on your rational mind. Setting yourself free."

Taking a deep breath, Elder Elerl of Heylai closes his eyes and hunches down slightly, relaxing his entire body. He inhales long once then exhales it before speaking, "Show me the way, Kronetok."

Teani watches the dwarf carefully. "Stop thinking about it. That's your rational side, needing guidance and explanations."

Elder Elerl of Heylai glances up to watch you carefully. Nodding his head, he lifts his head upwards to let out a bestial growl - his entire body growing tense. A look of pain washes over his features as his muscles stretch and snap beneath the skin, his body shifting its form. His face elongates slightly into a lupine muzzle, his teeth sharpen, and a thick pelt of furn springs across his flesh. In a moment, the pain clears from his face and he shakes his body to loosen the fresh pelt.

Fezzix's eyebrows raise in an impressed stare.

Teani shows her teeth in an appreciative grin. "There you go." She circles Elerl, taking in his new form. "It always hurts some because of the enormous change you go through, but... you can feel the difference already, can't you? The spring in the legs, the enhanced senses, the power in the muscles?"

Elder Elerl of Heylai hops around a few times, testing his limbs, "I've not felt like this since I was a youngster! I feel.." He howls as his words pause, a broad smile spreading across his lupine features, "I feel AMAZING."

Fezzix's eyes sparkle with amusement.

This creature, which was likely once a Dwarven man, is now a mass of gray fur - a thick pelt covering his entire body. A long beard seems to still dangle from his chin and mouth, as a reminder of his original form. A pair of brown eyes glance out from beneath the mass, a calm demeanor to them. He carries a lupine muzzle, sharp claws, and sharp teeth - all symbols of being a lycanthrope. He carries a set of five clawmarks across his furred face, likely from some previous combat.
Elder Elerl of Heylai looks weak and feeble.

Teani hisses out a wolfish chuckle. "Just like a whelp," she comments. "Which means you still have to learn some of the inherent dignity of a grown wolf, but that comes with time." Standing in front of Elerl, she continues her tutoring. "Now, this is -your- body, so you have some modicum of control over it. You can grow a winter pelt to increase your body heat and protect yourself from the elements. You can thicken your hide to act as natural armor. You can even shed your fur at will to keep it clean."

"Helps against poisons, too," Fezzix adds.

Lifting his muzzle to sniff at the air, Elder Elerl of Heylai grimaces slightly, "So, no more bathes and I can smell a whole lot better. All sounds like handy things."

Elder Elerl of Heylai says to Fezzix, "Oh? Cleans away that mess, too?"

Teani nods at Fezzix, then looks back at the dwarf. "Yes, all slick substances can be cleaned off by shedding your fur. You can also harden your bones, prevent them from easily breaking."

Nodding his head, Elder Elerl of Heylai says, "I like the sounds of all this."

Elder Elerl of Heylai says, "It's just things that will come to me naturally, but take practice to get used to?"

"It'll be a natural thing to use all this with time," Teani affirms. "Notice how your senses are different? YOu can even sense heat if you look closely. Better night vision too." She gestures at Fezzix. "That one, he's usually good at hiding, but with heatsight, you'll see him skulking, most of the time."

Fezzix says, "Only if I expect to get seen."

Elder Elerl of Heylai bares his teeth in a feral grin.

You say, in a feral tongue, "Well yes, but I'm sticking to more... normal circumstances now."

Fezzix grins mischievously at you.

Elder Elerl of Heylai says, "So it's like taking on the beast, like the mezilkree, into us - but we can release it as we need to."

Teani nods at Elerl. "Right. When you wish to return to your normal form, the dwarf body, you have to assert your rational mind again, pull yourself together and shift back. It can be really difficult if you've been a wolf for a long time. Which brings me to the Madness."

Comprehension flashes across Elder Elerl of Heylai's face.

Elder Elerl of Heylai says, "Madness?"

Teani takes a deep breath, scratching at her jaw with her claws. "It's something that happens to all shapeshifters if they remain in the feral form for too long." Holding up her paw, she explains, "At first, it will feel like your claws are the most natural thing in the world. You'll probably shrug your shoulders and think little of it, however, if you don't keep yourself under control, you'll slowly lose any chance to reach your rational mind."

Elder Elerl of Heylai says, "So, turn rabid, basically?"

Fezzix nods his head affirmatively.

Nodding, you say, in a feral tongue, "A shapeshifter who has gone full mad will hurt anything within reach, including themselves if no one else is around."

Elder Elerl of Heylai says, "Makes sense that there must be a cost for all this power."

Elder Elerl of Heylai creases his brow in a frown.

Elder Elerl of Heylai says, "How do you calm the madness?"

With a rather cold shrug, Teani says, "You kill them, or they kill you. Death, one way or the other, is the only way out."

Elder Elerl of Heylai seems to think for a moment before nodding slowly.

You say, in a feral tongue, "Before you've gone over the edge, you can keep the madness at bay through hunting. Sating your feral side's need for prey is necessary. It's the same for all predatory animals."

"Now then... what more do you need to know?" Teani muses to herself. "You can use your nose to sniff out your target, and track them down. You can use your sensitive hearing to listen to others close by. Oh! And you can lie in wait, following people without them noticing. That's the sneaky part of being a wolf. We have soft pads and a natural sense of moving with stealth."

Elder Elerl of Heylai furrows his bushy brow and nods his head, pushing a paw against the ground as he says, "How do I go about shifting back out of this..?"

Fezzix shrugs helplessly.

Teani flexes her claws before performing her own transformation back to Idreth. "As I mentioned earlier. Control. Focus on your mind, the rational side. Reassert yourself as a dwarf."

Fezzix reaches over to pluck an errant hair from your shoulder. "Though sometimes the shedding's a mess."

Elder Elerl of Heylai closes his eyes and concentrates, vigorously shaking his body until he sheds his werewolf form and stands back upright.

Teani smiles as Elerl returns to his own form. "Not quite as painful the second time around, hm?"

Elder Elerl of Heylai says, "Much easier releasing it."

You smile and say, "That's because you're not used to it, as I am. Yet."

Elder Elerl of Heylai says, "I'm going to have a lot of fun playing around with this."

"Naturally, you will have to practice moving around in wolf form, get your bearings and such, before you go on shredding people to bits with your claws and fangs," Teani says with a grin.

Elder Elerl of Heylai smiles wryly.

Elder Elerl of Heylai says, "Well, of course."

Elder Elerl of Heylai says, "We've gathered up some beasts recently, so I'll be using them to test these ways on."

Elder Elerl of Heylai says, "And start showing some of the others what to do."

Fezzix's mouth turns up as his face breaks into a smile.

Fezzix says, "Learn to hunt in packs. In a group, shapeshifters are at their best."

Elder Elerl of Heylai says, "That's what I hear - plan to definitely put in action."

Teani nods quickly. "That's a good way to practice. And as a Pack, well-trained and all, you can rip people apart quickly."

Elder Elerl of Heylai says, "I saw that power during the war, that strength."

"So, about the Pack." Teani returns her hands behind her back, pursing her lips. "As I said, it's about Ferocity, Loyalty, and Perseverance. Ferocity means embracing the wolf, learning and using the skills to overcome obstacles. It can even help when -not- in a wolf form, as there are always difficulties to overcome."

Elder Elerl of Heylai says, "Ferocity is something we already have used, really."

Teani nods with a smile. "I know, which makes me think it shouldn't be too difficult for you."

You say, "Plus, your stubborn nature helps."

You grin mischievously at Elder Elerl of Heylai.

Elder Elerl of Heylai's eyes sparkle with amusement.

Elder Elerl of Heylai says, "Indeed."

You say, "Next is Loyalty, which is simpler in meaning. As the Warden mentioned, a lone wolf is not as strong as a Pack. You'll notice that when you are in your wolf form, being with others will feel natural."

Elder Elerl of Heylai says, "I did notice it, aye."

Teani straightening her back, continues, "And Perseverance within our Pack means being a constant force moving forward. We strive towards challenges and deal with them."

Elder Elerl of Heylai says, "So, in the end, things we hold dear. I can see your Pack suiting me well, if it'll have me."

Teani smiles brightly. "I've already spoken to the Doyen, the Alpha of our Pack, and she had no objections. We will most certainly enjoy having you in our Pack, Elder."

Elder Elerl of Heylai smiles at you.

Elder Elerl of Heylai says, "Any sort of initiation?"

Teani shakes her head. "I would have to check that with the Doyen. We have not had one since the Atabahi Rout disbanded, but it would be nice to at least gather up and welcome a new member." She looks thoughtful. "Used to be that we went to the original Den and spoke of the directives and the history of the Atabahi."

Elder Elerl of Heylai says, "Well, whatever formality is needed, just let me know. I am, however, your loyal packmate from here on out."

You smile and say to Elder Elerl of Heylai, "Since we have already spoken of the directive, you at least know of them. I'll most certainly let you know if there is a rite needed."

Teani nods her head respectfully. "Welcome to the Vetra, Elerl."

Elder Elerl of Heylai puffs his chest out proudly.

Elder Elerl of Heylai says, "You have my thanks, Miss Teani. This will be good for all of mine and even myself."

Elder Elerl of Heylai
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
General:
He was born on the 10th of Variach, year 350 of the Midnight Age.
He is the Elder of the Heylai Dwarves.
He is a Senator of the Three Widow Republic.
He is a member of the Vetra Atabahi Pack.
He is a mentor and able to take on proteges.

Fame:
He became the youngest Elder of Heylai at the age of ten.
He participated in the Three Widow war.
He lead a bombing attack on the Atav during the Three Widow war.
He helped establish the Three Widow Republic in the year 457 MA.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You say to Elder Elerl of Heylai, "If you have any questions about training, when it comes to what attacks to use and so on, don't hesitate to ask me, alright?"

You smile and say, "Just practice the normal things for now and we'll delve into ferality and vocalizing another time."

Elder Elerl of Heylai says, "Thank you again, Miss Teani. Sounds like a good plan."

Elder Elerl of Heylai winks knowingly at you.

The corners of your mouth turn up as you grin mischievously.

Elder Elerl of Heylai says, "Now, go have fun and stop blabbering to this old fart."

Teani chuckles, grabbing Fezzix's hand and pulling him out of there. "Have fun!" she calls over her shoulder.

DristinFezzixKelliaraFaerahXeniaTozIselleHadrakVash