A strange coin and strange eyes

ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
Part 1 of the Walker logs, in which Areka does a lot of frowning and becomes unnerved, and I realize I need to change up my language a bit.

This begins in Delos, with Areka buying some terribly thrilling cooking ingredients.

----------------------------------------------
A hooded figure brushes past you, muttering a quick word of apology as they disappear back into the bustling streets of Delos.

You have emoted: Areka quickly pats a hand along her belt to ensure her pouch and keyring are in place, then resumes her study of the available patterns.

You feel an odd, heavy weight of cold metal within your grasp.

You have emoted: Fumbling with a coin that differs from the rest of her currency, Areka frowns and raises it into the light of a mote of pure flame perched upon her shoulder, turning it over between large fingers.

Worn and weathered by age, a dull verdigris patina covers this coin in a swathe of green, but little else can be discerned about the faceless tender. It is oddly cold to the touch and weighs heavily in the hand.
It is strangely weightless.

You have emoted: Her frown deepening for a moment, Areka ducks to tuck the coin into her boot before returning about her business.

---Later at the Pylon---

You feel as if something, or perhaps, someone has their eyes upon you in the waning afternoon light.

You have emoted: Areka's brow furrows for a few moments, shoulders hunching upward as if to shrug away a chill before settling back in place. The Azudim rises to her full height, an irritable grunt airing before she turns out into the city streets.

Voice raising enough to be heard a chamber or two away, you say, in Troll, "I don't care for these games. Had enough with Jaffrem. Speak to me like an adult."

In a low, reverberating tone, a Daru firebrand says, "Ah, it seems it found its way to you."

You say, in Troll, "Pardon?"

You have emoted: Areka utters another little grunt, brow furrowing.

Rolling a shoulder, a Daru firebrand says, "Sorry, it's been a difficult few months here."

You say, in Troll, "What has been happening?"

Lightly, a Daru firebrand says, "That's such an odd language, Pentarch, but an interesting one. A language that hasn't really changed in some.. thousand years? Well, it's been a trying time."

You say, "...What has been a trying time?"

You say, "I feel like I am only hearing half a conversation."

A Daru firebrand idly scratches at his jaw, glancing to you with all too dark eyes. "A failing of mine, I am afraid, Pentarch. I apologize."

Punctuating with yet another grunt, you say, "What has been trying?"

You have emoted: Areka's bright gaze narrows upon the Daru, horned head raising fully to take advantage of her large build.

With a faint smile, a Daru firebrand says, "Oh, nothing. It's a passing thought. You are quite impressive, Pentarch."

You say, "And you impertinent. What is your name, if-you-please."

A Daru firebrand rolls a shoulder, his expression still bearing that faint, thin-lipped smile. "I don't rightly know, Pentarch. He's a bit of a mindless sod, but he guards his name well. It is wise of him. I would do the same," he continues. "I merely wanted to look on you, truthfully. I had heard impressive things and you do seem to be an interesting woman."

You have emoted: The pure flame that crawls along an arm flickers and crackles as if echoing Areka's unease, her jaw setting in a tight line and muscles tensing along her form. "I am hardly hidden nor easy to hide. Who are you and what is it you seek?" She cooly states, alto grating like stone upon stone.

Lightly, a Daru firebrand says, "Merely some excitement, Pentarch. I hardly mean you or this city any harm and it has been quite dreary as of late."

You say, "Forcing yourself into one of those I am responsible for already marks intentions of disregard and harm. If you seek excitement, go north. They are much more inclined for games."

Jami arrives from the north.

You have emoted: Peripheral vision alerted, Areka briskly makes a gesture towards Jami, a field-sign for moving the perimeter another pace north while keeping her primary attention upon the firebrand.

A Daru firebrand says, "They're not that interesting, Pentarch. You give them far too much credit."

Following a muttered Trollish phrase, you say, "What do you define as interesting?"

A Daru firebrand says, "People with drive, passion. A boldness about them."

You say, "For what purpose? For what means, to abuse a host rather than speak openly? Or only more of the Manipulator's games?"

You say, "Is that you, Jaffrem? Did the Dreamer finally release you or you escape? Or simply another of such ilk?"

With a rough laugh, a Daru firebrand says, "You think I'm one of your deities? That's a little dull."

You say, "No, though loyal to one, may-haps. We have had such before, behaving in the same manner."

You say, "Only one Deity would mask as you do, though He seems a bit busy of late with the mess in His realm."

Jami glances towards a Daru firebrand briefly, her gaze glossing over you before giving you a small nod, making her silent move out of the immediate area.

Jami leaves to the north.

You have emoted: Areka's grip slightly adjusts about the haft of her flail, a pulse of bladefire illuminating its chains for a moment.

A Daru firebrand sits down heavily on the ground, spreading his arms outwards. "I am not one to cringe away from violence, Pentarch, but you are far too incensed for this man's sake. He has his aims, his goals, but they're all forgotten with a touch of smoke and a word of whispered comfort. I've taken nothing from him that I won't give back. No, I'm not like your would-be deities," he begins, voice low. "I desire a little more."

Tiredly, a Daru firebrand says, "But nothing so much as their desires for flesh and blood. Don't you find it brutish how they drench themselves in it? Revel in it? Mm, perhaps you do not."

You say, "If I were on a tipping point, all around me would be ash and smoke. And I would rather give a man peace if it came to it, than to be the unwilling victim of such use."

You say, "Brutish for whose desires? The north, or our Gods?"

You say, "And I am Trollish of Ugtar's get. My boundaries of brutality vary from others, as well as my understanding of it."

A Daru firebrand says, "Your, what do you call Him, the 'Truthman'? Don't you find that odd? He is not the only one, no, but one perhaps you know best. Why the lust for bloodshed? Was He not sated in ages past or does His hunger burn that deep within Him?"

You have emoted: Areka secures her flail against her belt, adopting a rigid at-ease with her glowing mace gripped behind her back - a sign of tolerance for the dialogue at least, though without sacrificing readiness should movement be called. "In terms of offerings through blood and essence which provide power to work with, or war with the Undead? Mortality and our conflicts only echo those of the Divine and the energies that created us. I do not find it puzzling."

Clasping his hands together, a Daru firebrand says, "Ahh, that is what I had hoped to hear! You offer them so much meat, but what do they truly gain from it? Must all things end in death and blood and agony? Your people here feast and dream of it, but I never understood why. It is entirely unneeded."

You say, "Death is not equivalent with agony, and death is not an end but a turning point of the Cycle. Taking pleasure in pain and torment is not needed, but Death - naturally occurring or brought in conflict or the hunt - is."

A Daru firebrand says, "But They are the ones that take such delight in it, Pentarch. There's, as they say, the rub."

You have emoted: Areka's broad shoulders raise in a slight shrug. "They are purified essence, and beings of conflict. Our faults are Theirs. Their personal feelings on it do not change that Death is a necessary aspect of creation and the Cycle."

Leaning forward, a Daru firebrand says, "You put far too much of a burden on your shoulders, Pentarch. Their flaws are not your own though They would wish you to think that. Shameful, really, and cruel, but cruelty is all They truly know in the end. I learned that well."

You say, "Learned so how? I do not see that I accept that which is not due, it is a natural byproduct of the origins of our creation and place in the Cycle."

You say, "And I would argue that while They certainly know cruelty and can employ it, it is not the entirety of Their beings or motives, or we would not have a word to define it or a concept or experience of anything outside of such. It would simply be."

A Daru firebrand slowly stands, rolling a shoulder before looking back to you with dark, shadowed eyes. "That is admirable of you, Pentarch, but misplaced," he replies, voice light and the smile still touching his lips. "Perhaps it is not all Their fault, but your world is splitting at the seams and They hardly seem to have a care for it. A morsel for you to think on, Pentarch, till our next meeting. This one is beginning to grow tired and I feel I have overstayed my welcome with these roving minds. Terribly curious, your sort. Do stay safe, Pentarch, and.. enjoy the gift."

There is an audible snap and the Daru firebrand jerks forward as something departs his frame, his eyes widening for a brief moment before lassitude seems to set into his bones as he sags visibly.

You have emoted: Areka thrusts a palm forward to help support the Daru as he is freed, though her gaze follows the trailing departing form.

Jami arrives from the north.

Grand Mistress Jami Siarani-Silverain, The Bruiser says to a Daru firebrand, "Are you alright, Zealot?"

You nod your head at Jami.

Grand Mistress Jami Siarani-Silverain, The Bruiser says, "Any clues, Areka?"

Stammering, a Daru firebrand says, "I.. I don't remember. What happened? I just remember.. a sinking feeling, sleeping. As if I were in deep waters.."

You say, "Pieces and uneasiness. It spoke of our Gods as if it knew, and with a tone that did not suggest a demon. There was clear derision against Our gods, but pit. I do not know. Some Ankyrean experiment? Something of the Blood? Or some remnant from elsewhere that came on another host? Lanu du, and such things."

You have emoted: Areka helps to ease the firebrand upon their feet, saying, "You are well. I mean not to distress you, but another entity utilized your body for a time. You were safe in that time frame and committed no crimes or harms, merely a discussion."

A Daru firebrand says, "I--I did what?"

You say to a Daru firebrand, "You provided a mouth for something else to have a conversation."

You say, "And your will proved troublesome so it left, as you would not simply accept such a state."

Quietly, a Daru firebrand says, "I'm so sorry, Vanguard. I never meant for this to happen. I don't recall anything happening to me. Just a sudden fatigue overtaking me and then the darkness of sleep. I.. how could this happen? Why me?"

Firmly as she clasps the firebrand on the shoulder, you say, "Do not apologize. Some things are outside of our control. You fought it, you did not provide it any information, and it left due to your lack of acceptance. Your will was strong against its power."

You say, "As for why you?.."

You have emoted: Areka frowns, arm briefly shaking the mote of living flame back up towards her shoulder. "Likely because you were conveniently near enough to keep an eye on me. I've been followed on and off all month."

A Daru firebrand says, "I am sorry, Vanguard. I.. I will be more vigilant. This should not happen again."

You say, "There is nothing to apologize for. It was not within your control, nor mine."

You say, "Take the rest of the month yes? Eat, rest, regather yourself. If there is anything you have need of, seek me out."

Grand Mistress Jami Siarani-Silverain, The Bruiser says to a Daru firebrand, "You have a stronger will then can be expected, you deserve credit for proving difficult to what we assume is something of significant power."

You nod your head at Jami.

You say, "Indeed."

You say, "You are a credit to the Daru."

Grand Mistress Jami Siarani-Silverain, The Bruiser says to a Daru firebrand, "And for that I thank you."

Jami turns towards a Daru firebrand, places her palms together in front of her chest, and bows respectfully.

Jami leaves to the north.

A Daru firebrand says, "Thank you, thank you.. I will do just that."

A sensation of something heavy descends upon your shoulders like some loathsome, immense beast that settles and stretches across your bulk. After several moments, a rich, deep voice resounds within your mind, "His dreams will be pleasant, Pentarch. I will make sure of it. Shall I grant you the same?"

You have emoted: Areka abruptly stiffens, fire igniting along her mace and crackling along her joints and skin. "No, I will remain awake." She states. The shackles about her wrists begin to warm, their colour subtly changing as if immersed in coals.

"As you wish, Pentarch. As you wish."

You have emoted: Flames continue to erupt and lick along Areka as she briskly turns towards the south, seeking space away from other beings as she struggles to maintain some semblance of control.

Swinging her bulk around, Areka makes his way down towards the water, flame and spark alike leaving a smoky trail behind her.

Shallow ocean over a reef. (Beryl Reef.) (26075) [-Omei-]

You have emoted: The hiss of steam follows as Areka trudges into the water, standing knee-deep and braced against the lapping shallows.

You flip a dull, faceless coin into the air, sending it into a wavering parabolic arc with a flash of verdigris green. As the coin arcs skywards, you feel a burden lifted from your shoulders as if something shifts its terrible gaze away from you, but it only momentary as the coin returns to your waiting grasp. Catching it in your palm, you slap it onto your wrist and reveal its faceless void to the world.

A faint sigh, voice little than a soft whisper and breath of cold air. "Thank you, Pentarch."

You say, "What for?"

You have emoted: Areka frowns down at the coin, turning it over between her fingers a few times before passing a thumb over the verdegris patina.

"You burn ever so brightly. It is delightful," the voice murmurs. "Are you that fearful of Me?"

You say, "My life is forfeit in service to those I am responsible for. It is for them my concern extends. Though this surpasses my unease with phase."

You say, "How long will you ride about in my head? I would rather you there than preying upon them."

"Your mind is hardly a cage for Me, Pentarch. I walk free and unfettered once again. I am held only by the confines of flesh and blood when I so choose and it is a form just as easily shed," there is a pause, then a low, rasp of a whisper. "How long will you interest Me, Pentarch? That is your answer."

Nodding, you say, "Then there is the conflict. Not long, as my gut tells me to remain here, where I can not set my city on fire nor put others at risk due to potential control of me. However as you are not confined, it is only a temporary solution. I understand nothing of what you are and have no bargaining power for some agreement, so you have me, and my people I am sworn to protect, rather ass up over a barrel."

"How uncouth, Pentarch."

You say, "Yet still the reality."

"Find Me, Pentarch, in the far-flung mountains of the Crags where the wind howls and the shadows remain long throughout the year. They built one shrine to Me there, hidden away from those who would deny Me and My own. Do not think Me unkind." The voice whispers, distant and then, with a seeping chill that ebbs from your bones, gone.

EmelleRasharIsande