Aetolia IRC

2»

Comments

• PiperPiper Master Crumbs
    edited January 2014
    From what I know, most people have just been using Skype with their friends nowadays. I'm personally a part of a (mostly) Spirean Skype conversation that's been ongoing since New Years. We get the occasional person not from the group floating in and out, though.
  • SolariaSolaria Charlotte, NC
    Reminds me, people should feel free to skype me. I can be slow sometimes, but I don't mind a little conversation.

• But but but social interaction :(:(

• ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    I know. :(

If folk were up to it, we could see about starting a room on a more secure alternative, that hasn't disabled so many modes. :/ 
  • ArbreArbre Arbrelina Jolie Braavos
    Solaria said:
    Reminds me, people should feel free to skype me. I can be slow sometimes, but I don't mind a little conversation.
    And this is different than any other day how?
  • EleanorEleanor FOR SCIENCE
    The person who was being a git got told to pull their head in and things are ok now, by the way. IRC is probably fine again.

• AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    I feel like I missed something.
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    I don't THINK it was an intentional DDOS so much as some weird IRC client feature being used that pinged and more or less did the same thing. But I don't knoooow.
  • SolariaSolaria Charlotte, NC
    Arbre said:
    Solaria said:
    And this is different than any other day how?
    :( I blame pregnancy brain! That's..a thing, right?

• Interesting thread. I'm more than happy provide a completely secure IRC service on my host if there's 1. A couple of people willing to admin the channels and 2. There's enough interest.
    It's not really my thing, so I'll likely not use it, but if it means those interested parties within the community have a place they feel happy in, I'm game.

I guess the real test is numbers of interested people. Please leave feedback!
  • I've had O:lines on various IRC networks in the past, so I'd be happy to help if there's enough interest. Just so long as we avoid the return of the meta-gaming IRC mafia. 
    Dhraen
  • The IRC mafia is not a thing.
    imageimage
    Haven
  • Veovis said:
    I've had O:lines on various IRC networks in the past, so I'd be happy to help if there's enough interest. Just so long as we avoid the return of the meta-gaming IRC mafia. 
    Heh. While I find myself not disagreeing with you, I hardly think IRC is to blame, certainly given the prevalance of other services and protocols.

It's awesome you have o-line experience. What IRCd are you familiar with, out of curiosity? I tend to go with either dancer or ratbox.
  • Dhraen said:
    Veovis said:
    I've had O:lines on various IRC networks in the past, so I'd be happy to help if there's enough interest. Just so long as we avoid the return of the meta-gaming IRC mafia. 
    Heh. While I find myself not disagreeing with you, I hardly think IRC is to blame, certainly given the prevalance of other services and protocols.

It's awesome you have o-line experience. What IRCd are you familiar with, out of curiosity? I tend to go with either dancer or ratbox.
    Oh, wherever OOC people congregate the risk for metagaming rises. It's not IRC specifically.

I've used vanilla ircd, ircd-hybrid, and some variant of DreamForge, although I haven't held an O:line in probably 8-9 years now. 
    Dhraen
  • Hrm, ok.
    It's actually little to no work for me to get this up, although I'm busy for a few hours.

I've just added a DNS record: http://irc.pharanyx.com - Give it a few hours to propogate and for me to bring the daemon up and we'll see how things progress from there.
  • I'll shove it on port 6667, ok.
  • Ok, it's up, but it's a while since I hosted IRCd, so if I have missed anything, please let me know on this thread or email me directly at support@pharanyx.com
    First person to join a channel will be made op of said channel, but once we have a few o-lines set, we'll be good.

Just connect with your favourite IRC client to irc.pharanyx.com on port 6667. (If that port is blocked for you at work/school, etc, let me know).

For now, though... Enjoy!
  • Finally, I know I don't really need to say this, but please... No funny business. I'm pretty lax in regards to what I am prepared to allow, though suffice to say, this is a full production server that hosts multiple services and security -is- obviously a concern, especially given IRC being such a lame protocol.
  • SheirosiaSheirosia Sheffield, UK.
    Bumping this. IRC server is up for you metagaming lamers who don't Skype chat anyway.
    Just connect to irc.pharanyx.com on port 6667 with your favourite client. Be nice!
    Enjoy.

(I'll get chanserv/nickserv up later today/tomorrow when I am not super busy).
  • SheirosiaSheirosia Sheffield, UK.
    I should add, we're in #aetolia if you were wondering. ;)
  • ErzsebetErzsebet Altaholic
    Far as I'm aware, Aetolia IRC is still in #Aetolia at irc.esper.net?
    imageimage
    Aishia
  • HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    There were 4 #Aetolia rooms with different groups of people but it's now down to 3 as far as I'm aware across different servers...

I think I'm going to stick with in-game clans though.
    ¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
  • SetneSetne The Grand Tyrant
    The only true channel is the one lead by our Jewish Overlord Kiyotan.

Ingram said:
    "Oh my arms are suddenly lubed"
    ErzsebetKiyotan
  • Really wish this were still a thing that people did. Need someplace for those who aren't cool in-people to hang out.

Bump for this. It's been pretty empty lately and I miss the activity in it.

Ingram said:
  • KiyotanKiyotan spectacular vernacular Summit of the Falconmount
    Yeah, come hang out. But not if you're going to talk about LoL.
    Some may say we've lost our way, but I believe we've not gone far enough.
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    IRC is 4 nerds.
    StathanSlyphe
  • KiyotanKiyotan spectacular vernacular Summit of the Falconmount
    5 nerds. Obs came around.
    Some may say we've lost our way, but I believe we've not gone far enough.
    Emelle
    Things have gotten so bad that even feepbot has abandoned us.

Ingram said: