Discuss Your Dominion Opinions Here

This discussion was created from comments split from: Sneaking up on the Primus.

Comments

• MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    If they are going to push the House/Dominion thing even more heavily, it sure would be nice if more flexibility was given with Houses and maybe a re-look at the edicts. I personally am kinda just there because I want to read the news posts and be in the loop, but I'm definitely not engaged with the vampire culture and am just going through the motions so I won't be ejected.
    IshinAshmerAldric
    While I like that vampire RP and culture is being given some love, it's kinda a bummer that the end result is basically just strongarming the Abhorash-is-all aspect of it.

Vampirism is a huge and enduring metaphor, and they have been been part of mythology for thousands of years. The noble/elite aspect is only one facet of a far richer and diverse range of source material. Many people find vampirism intriguing and interesting, but have no desire to play a well-behaved noble who adheres to peerage. What if we want to play a feral hunter who stalks the night? What about a blood-junkie? What about an Empusa-esque take, working down at the Fling? There are so many different potential aspects you can take on as a vampire, but if you want to be in a House and stay in the loop and not be scorned and spurned as a rogue, you need to learn tons of titles and rules and history and call yourself a noble and even memorize made up languages, which simply doesn't appeal to everyone interested in vampirism.

The edicts also are frustrating. They seem partially to be a way to try to squash out snuggly RP, but that also undercuts a huge, potent pool of RP potential - in so many aspects of vampire mythos, it is the loved ones and the families who are the targets, which is part of why the metaphor is so chilling. Lucy in Dracula is so much more terrifying, terrible and tragic because they know her - that connection is what makes defeating her so much more emotionally complex.

An evil lurking beneath the form of something we know and love, an evil that feeds on our very life force, an evil that is seductive, offering us something tempting if we only would endure the pain - that's what vampirism is about. Yes, on the surface level it's a revenant that drinks blood. But part of what has made the notion of vampirism resonate so much culturally is that it's a metaphor that goes beyond the trappings each story ties to it.

Beyond this, the edicts also make you abandon RP ties and identity you've created for your character. Moi is a vampire, but she's still got that history and backstory I've spent years creating of the Seirath family. It really chafes that I arbitrarily have to just pretend that's all gone. Moi's still the woman who birthed her children, even if she can't make more, and I find her own internal struggle over whether to turn her children to be far more engaging than simply going "Peace, bye, sever bloodline."

Vampire RP, culture and interaction is tied very heavily to Houses and the Dominion - it would be one thing if the noble aspect, with all its rules and etiquette, were one facet you could choose from, but it's really the ONLY thing offered right now, which is why it feels stifling that it comes with random rules attached to it.
  • ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    I know I'm super out of the loop having little to no Vamp contact - but can't you still RP those things? Just as rogues, or in private, rather than as part of the -political structure that is the Houses-?
    You can, but that's akin to asking "Why don't you just RP out stuff without being in a guild or city?" Being in an established organization makes it far easier to attend events, find people to RP with, have things to do, etc. Admin events are also cool to be able to participate in and help inspire RP, and if the only admin-supported take on vampire is the Dominion, obviously that's the only aspect that's going to be getting events.

Beyond that, if you visit BL, it's AAAALLL about the Dominion. There's no alternate sorts of portrayals of vampire RP. @Aldric and I tried starting up a clan to have an alternative style of vampire RP, and I was thinking maybe Spinesreach could offer the more out-of-the-box take on vampires (you can do a lot just with buildings!), but I've lost steam on that, as it's a lot of work and the whole minor house stuff has been axed.
    Yes, but when you want something that is outside of the accepted norm and expectations of that community - there are trade offs, choices, and priorities. Maybe some ways to ease building alternative non-Dominion communities, but the Dominion needs a cohesive center of value and expectation.
    ErzsebetDristin
    edited January 2015
    Right, I guess I'm just grumbling at how the Dominion has severely limited and narrowed what constitutes the vampire norm. It's really shallow, as far as RP potential goes, versus everything you could do with vampires.

Remember, the Dominion/Abhorash stuff is a fairly recent change. Houses used to be all over the place and that was bad for membership numbers, but they also offered a much wider range of styles.
    Then maybe that needs to be the focus - rather than watering down the Dominion as a whole to get rid of expectations, focus on each of the Houses to give them more unique focuses and RP styles/cultures, beyond what they do themselves.
    Houses have to adhere to the edicts which means they are all confined to the same narrow paradigm.
    Ishin
  • The edicts don't limit us much as far as what we're allowed to do as a house. Nor do they make all of us into cookie-cutter clones of each other.

The one I see most-oft complained about, mostly just means that all this surname-vampname stuff isn't allowed anymore and neither is publically visible clan membership. No one ever said you couldn't RP with people in the Seirath clan. Technically you're supposed to cut ties, but do you think the houseleaders actually stalk all their members to make sure every interaction that folk have with a 'former' relation is kosher, so-to-speak?

Frankly, while I wish it hadn't cost me Aldric's membership in 'kahi, I generally -like- the edict in this regard, if only because I can defer blame as to why this nonsense isn't allowed.
    imageimage
  • I had my char leave the house and Dominion mostly over fights he had with Abhorash, started to resent him and bailed. Anyway it's good to see something going with them again, it's cool that I'm a rogue, and see what will happen now that I am one of 'them'. I think I need to do something to piss Riluo off now.

Ishin
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    In a way, I think it's good that Houses (and through that Vampires) are tied together into the Dominion rather than being spread out and individual as they were before. Each House, I'm sure, has its own take on things, but they still have the base edicts to work from. We already tried the "let Houses be what they want" approach, didn't work, so now they're streamlining it a little. Eventually I'm sure people will find a middle ground.

The struggles you mention, @Moirean, are RP related things that you have to take into consideration when choosing to become a Vampire. Yes, there is a norm and as a base it might be shallow, but I'd think it opens up for a lot of personal RP opportunities.

Have previous life and family and still want to go Vampire? Well, it's up to you to RP out that struggle of cutting ties. Doesn't have to be instantaneous. As long as Houses don't kick people out without any form of RP and an opportunity for the player to play out the struggle of choosing.

Back on topic though, I'm very sad that I couldn't get in to the little area where the Gaes are for potential RP. I mean... it's quite obvious Teani is on their side, of course she wants to talk to them and see if they need support. However, I suppose this was Admin's way of locking up the event and preventing it from straying in a different direction than intended.

I'm well aware that you can create "anything" you want in aetolia. I'm also aware just how tiring that is and with minor houses being removed it's clear from the get go that whatever you try to create isn't going to go anywhere or get admin support which kinda kills motivation to even try.

I find it hard to believe that every single person playing a vampire in aetolia wants the Anne rice snooty nobility take.
    Guess I'm missing something, but what's stopping each of the houses from picking a WoD clan and modeling after them? Not everyone has to be the Ventrue, and can still be the feral wolf-and-bat-glorifying savages so long as you aren't playing house, etc?
    Because the abhorash/dominion stuff is all about nobility and bloodlines and peerage.
    Honouring your bloodline/blood status and using the proper names when in the community doesn't negate or cancel out all of the other possibilities or takes that could be had with them.
  • Erz straight up told Abhorash before Ve'kahi fell in line with the dominion, that while bloodlines are important, in the sense that your Sire can completely define your eternity and change who you are, bloodrank is frilly pretentious bullshit and Ve'kahi will never give not one flying fuck about it. Abhorash was cool with that. Like, seriously, the impression I got after Erz went on her 'we are not pretentious noble brats and will not adhere to blood rank titles and peerage' was 'calm your tits woman, you don't have to'.

Ve'kahi is decidedly -not- about civility and being nobility. We have a couple people who wear Blood Rank, but they're all remnants of Voltaire/Lunare and no one addresses them by it. It's absolutely meaningless in Ve'kahi. I can't speak as much for the non Ve'kahi houses, but I know for a fact Ve'kahi is nothing like the other ones in mentality--I'm always butting heads with certain members of Bahir'an for use of the word Vampire vs Consanguine, so it's possible to differentiate within the system. It's just not in-character for them to do it as dramatically, possibly. I mean. D'baen is the house that hammers traditions as its central theme--it can't exactly drop all of the old ways in the process. They're still capable of being interesting and dynamic and fun.
    imageimage
    Malok
  • Erzsebet said:

I'm always butting heads with certain members of Bahir'an for use of the word Vampire vs Consanguine, so it's possible to differentiate within the system.

:)
    "Hell hath no hold on a warrior’s mind, see how the snow has made each of us blind. Vibrant colors spray from new dead, staining the earth such a beautiful red."
  • Being new, I'm slowly learning about the history and run down of how this all works. But why does D'baen have hardly any members compared to the other houses? Makes it frustrating to engage in any vampire RP from my end when I only have 2 players who actively interact with me at all. Am I in the wrong House for that?

Also, interested to see what happens to the House that kills the least of the bad Gaes (energy puns), any ideas? I tried to get some but some people were doing a good job camping and really, I have funner things to do with my time lol.
  • House participation--and number of players in a house that are willing to RP/interact on the regular tends to fluctuate and vary. Don't know if it's down for D'baen at the moment.
    imageimage
  • Asaraii said:

Being new, I'm slowly learning about the history and run down of how this all works. But why does D'baen have hardly any members compared to the other houses? Makes it frustrating to engage in any vampire RP from my end when I only have 2 players who actively interact with me at all. Am I in the wrong House for that?

Also, interested to see what happens to the House that kills the least of the bad Gaes (energy puns), any ideas? I tried to get some but some people were doing a good job camping and really, I have funner things to do with my time lol.

Bahir'an has a lot of the same problems, believe it or not. It's just the consequence of having a shrinking playerbase. As for the Gaes, I felt about the same way. Everyone was camping it or sitting afk in it borderline afk bashing and also the mobs themselves are really annoying in how they stripped defenses, so I just said the hell with it. I'm sure because of my desire to spend what small amount of free time I have doing something I actually enjoy, Bahir'an will probably have the least amount of kills. Oh well, can't win them all.
    "Hell hath no hold on a warrior’s mind, see how the snow has made each of us blind. Vibrant colors spray from new dead, staining the earth such a beautiful red."
  • edited January 2015
    Erzsebet said:

I'm always butting heads with certain members of Bahir'an for use of the word Vampire vs Consanguine

As a previous Lunare member, I can vouch for the importance of peerage. I play Z to be 100% respectful to those peerages above him and below him, but he still calls everyone by their blood title if he knows them, or he responds to them with a title he knows them by.

In regards to the vampire v Consanguine words. I find the term vampire to be a more derogatory term, and use it as such, because to me, anyone can be a vampire. You are undead, you drink blood, you are vampire. You have no morals, you don't particularly adhere to the laws of the Consanguine and generally place yourself as better than everyone with full disregard to peerage, even to those who are higher placed than you in bloodline. To me, you are vampire and rp that as such. There have been a few people who I will call 'vampire' instead of Consanguine. The name 'Consanguine' defines a vampire who sticks to traditions, laws, rules, proper peerage, knows their place, etc. It gives the person more respect, a better tone. And I don't think I'm the only one who uses the difference in tone when talking about people. Now, in essence, they are both one and the same, but its the essence that makes one different from another.

I'm not sure if Bahir'an applies the same standards I do, but I would not be surprised if they did. So while its great to debate the definition between the two, I think it comes back to the aforementioned paragraph.

Edit: @Riluo, really loved the talk with you about Vinessa's words and what exactly truly defined a rogue. Though I can't feel we got a bit ripped off by not being able to do anything about our own feelings on the definition of the term 'rogue' without causing some sort of huge tidal wave.
    (Oasis): Benedicto says, "There was like 0.5 seconds between "Oh hey, they're in area. That was quick." and "OMFG THEY'RE IN THE AREA STAHP STAHP!""

RiluoColette
  • @Zsadist That's fair. Ve'kahi has never viewed it that way--we tend to consider 'Consanguine' a pretty, pretentious word that tries to cover up the savagery inherent to vampirism. Both are viable outlooks.
    imageimage
  • RiluoRiluo The Doctor
    edited January 2015
    The Anne Rice concept is a not one that fits anymore I would hope, as you have Nebre'seir a House that does not define its members as nobility. Instead you earn your place or you die trying, through savagery, brutality and a willingness to take what you desire. Conversely, we are strict enforcers of the will of the Primus to the point that as you have seen with Riluo we will just ACT on what we think is right and do it through violence rather than through dress up balls and prancing about like idiots. We are after all predators and killers.

Indeed this concept of the classic 'cookie cutter Houses' is not correct, we pride ourselves on redefining beauty through self mutilation long before the embrace. Look @Yarel he has peeled back flesh on his face, steel rods and chains embedded in his body, or Riluo who is a wraith and is merely skin and bone. So we are not all Anne Rice clones thankfully with frilly shirts and perfect pulled back hair. However having said that we do still follow the edicts, respect the use of peerage and teach it to our new members before the embrace as a way of understanding that the Consanguine Empire is still based upon it and to use it as a sign of respect for your elders. We are also ethnocentric as hell insofar as we do not allow those outside our bloodline to join, you either get re-embraced or we kill you. We do still use peerage in public Dominion meetings, otherwise it is just Dominus, sir or to those who have earned the right it is merely Riluo. In the House no one pulls Blood rank or we kill them on the spot, the only rank used is by those who earn it through bloodshed and savagery.

This whole thing has derailed the mini event I think and might need moved if possible to another thread.

Abhorash says, "Ve'kahi has proved that even bastards can earn their place."

ErzsebetIshin
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    I suppose it's alright for people to discuss the Houses and Dominion here, but it would be nice if there were also some comments on the log along with it and not just everything around it. *shrug*

• I DO kind've wish the dominion had more point, without making it more restrictive, but frankly, I don't want said point to manifest in competitions like these that rely on everyone in your house focusing on bashing the same mobs over and over -exclusively-, for a week straight. I hate bashing, and while fighting these isn't too challenging to manage, it's also not interesting, especially since strategically, it's advantageous to NOT cluster to talk to your housemates between waves.
    imageimage
  • ErzsebetErzsebet Altaholic
    edited January 2015
    I really wish they'd consult the house-leaders on things like this before trying to shoehorn us into a role that doesn't necessarily fit. :/

Also wish they hadn't made the edict exception--it's dumb and it makes no sense as an exception.
    imageimage
    Veovis
  • OleisOleis Producer Emeritus Administrator, Immortal
    Erzsebet said:

I really wish they'd consult the house-leaders on things like this before trying to shoehorn us into a role that doesn't necessarily fit. :/

Also wish they hadn't made the edict exception--it's dumb and it makes no sense as an exception.

As game administrators, the only thing more harmful than providing too much direction is not providing enough direction. As much as we value the input of house leaders on MANY things (after all, they were the impetus behind these sweeping changes in the first place), allowing the current leadership of a House to define its enduring theme shifts the accountability too much to the players, who can't and shouldn't be held responsible for the long-term development of the game's lore. What we've provided is a single word -- cunning -- for you to shape as you please.

The goal was not to provide roles that fit the current theme of the House precisely. The goal was to give the Houses themes that are most likely to make them identifiable and interesting to vampire players.
    You say to Slyphe, "You're so freaking smart."
    [---]
    "^," Slyphe agrees with you.
    [Deleted User]MalokIshin
  • ErzsebetErzsebet Altaholic
    edited January 2015
    That's not what I'm unicornsing about .

Ve'kahi will be the informers of the Dominion. Their status allows them to mingle more freely and unrestrainedly amongst mortals and those of lesser stature. They will be watchers, reporting their findings to the Council.

This is what I'm grumbling about. I'm not hugely flipping tables or anything, I just don't see how this has anything to do with Ve'kahi.

ETA: Apparently, it doesn't auto-censor that. >.>
    imageimage
  • OleisOleis Producer Emeritus Administrator, Immortal
    That's basically what I was trying to say with my last point -- We weren't aiming to necessarily shape these new ideas around the existing House identities. We're trying to push them into identities that will hopefully be more successful. These are the territories where house leaders can't fix everything. As this event has shown, Ve'kahi's leadership and members are doing just fine. But there's a definite identity problem, and we needed to help fix that on our end.

I can totally understand if you disagree with the value of the end result. I just don't want you to misinterpret the intentions.
    You say to Slyphe, "You're so freaking smart."
    [---]
    "^," Slyphe agrees with you.
  • SaervokSaervok Waterford
    I like the fact that the Consanguine are getting more attention, it has certainly caused me to spend a LOT more time in game. I am looking forward to see if any of the Dominion's mechanics create a more enjoyable feel for the class as a whole, however I still have doubts after seeing how little the Imperium actually affected game-play in any real way.

As far as setting the "roles" of the Houses, this has pretty much always been the case and I think a great tool for those who are new to the game in deciding which to join, depending on their preference in RP. There are certainly always exceptions in every House, but I think it is an important aspect of the game to "loosely" define the characteristics of each.
    RiluoColette