Dragon Age: Inquisition

ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
edited November 2014 in OOC Chat
So I have been waiting for however long since DA:2 came out for this one to be released. Here I shall ramble my thoughts and those of you also playing can add your own!

So far I'm really enjoying the environment, though there are some things that have stood out as a bit of a disappointment.

- My beloved Qunari ladies have really pouty and soft animations, which makes me sad, because I want to play a powerful badass femQunari warrior. I feel like they've cut corners here with the same animation frame and each race just plopping on top as a skin rather than thinking through the different ways each race (and background story - your'e a freaking mercinary) would emote.

- UI! There are some really basic UI issues that I do not understand the decision making behind. Some of these are:
- - a visual feedback/indicator for if your H (tell team to hold its position) is activated or not
- - if f5/quicksaving is doing anything, and so on.

- That you have to pick your race, go through a video extravaganza, and THEN get to tinker with appearances, meaning if you want to just sample what each thing looks like, you have to either wait a while, or make a commitment to doing something with the character.

While I understand that it's been 10 years in game, Redcliffe does not feel like Redcliffe at all, and I've yet to find a good answer as to why it's so drastically different. It was a pretty significant setting in Origins.

These things aside, I am enjoying the Companions and dialogue as well as the war table. The new crafting system is pretty nice, though I do not like having to harvest everything all the time - I liked the 'discover a node and others will harvest that for you' approach from DA:2.

I have been fiddling about with classes, and I find bows pretty disappointing, mages are nice, and melee a little too similar to Skyrim (one of my pet peeves there being having to continually try to follow up/move as well as hack and slash). It makes me wish I could toggle autoattacking on and off rather than having to hold a key or button which interferes with movement. But, I am also lazy.
Valenae

Comments

• I finished the first act while Leliana and Josephine were busy on missions, and when I got to skyhold they were broken - both are 'busy' but there are no missions being conducted. Sad face, don't do that if you're playing.
    Valenae
  • AngweAngwe I'm the dog that ate yr birthday cake Bedford, VA
    I really enjoy the dynamic combat in Skyrim.
    IshinValenae
  • edited November 2014
    The game is absolutely gorgeous and a lot of fun.

@Areka‌ I completely agree about Redcliffe. I kept double checking the quest map to verify I was there lol. I really I think it's the broken down stonework. It just looks significantly older than a 10 year addition.

Also, I don't have that much time logged but I've been wondering why the random NPCs don't talk about the giant green pit in the sky or their leadership's approach to the issues. I'm trying to suspend more judgement until I get further in the game but I find it pretty strange on the surface.

During major cut scenes characters and lines completely disappear, sometimes completely until the scene pans out.

I think the combat is much better! I disliked Origins combat because I felt like it didn't give me enough agency over my character. This combat system is a nice balance and the skills for sword and board warriors are far more visible than before.

"To be awkward or unkempt, to talk or move wrongly is to be a dangerous giant, a destroyer of worlds...any accurately improper move can poke through the thin sleeve of immediate reality." - Erving Goffman

• ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    So a small thing that I've really come to like is the changing environment - camps of refugees and of outlaws moving around, setting up and being taken down, so that you get other chances to encounter things as you go across familiar terrain. I think that's pretty cool.
    ValenaeIshin
  • IshinIshin Retired Lurker Virginia
    I'm gonna get it tomorrow. I liked both DA:O, DA:A, and DA:2. Anything I should look out for that I probably will NOT like?
    Tell me and I forget, teach me and
    I remember, involve me and I
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
  • The combat is a blend of the two, which is nice. I don't like the pause and direct style, and prefer more real time fighting, but it's cool that you have that option if that's what you're into. It can be kind of glitchy, but that might just be the 360 version. All in all, well worth the money.
    IshinValenae
  • edited November 2014
    @Ishin The loading screens can be pretty long. We play it on 360 so maybe it's that the hardware isn't at the same quality point as, say, Xbox One but whatever the issue is, it can be pretty annoying.

Also, sometimes the graphics randomly go grainy as the game is loading. Again, that could be because of the hardware.

There's also a bug that makes it to where characters and their dialogue will disappear for a few seconds, a few minutes, or during the entire cut scene. I heard they're going to be releasing a patch for the disappearances across multiple platforms, though.

EDIT: The conversation wheel is much better than in two but the interactions with your party still don't feel as organic in Inquisition as they did in DA:O. Characs are cool but still feel slightly one dimensional.

"To be awkward or unkempt, to talk or move wrongly is to be a dangerous giant, a destroyer of worlds...any accurately improper move can poke through the thin sleeve of immediate reality." - Erving Goffman

IshinAreka
  • NeithanNeithan Sunspear, the Principality of Dorne
    The only issue I've had with the game thus far (Playing on PS4) is that I don't have any new characters so far that I just adore. My party mates are just...there, to help me murder things. I don't care if the majority of them shut up for the rest of forever.
    Valenae
  • It gets better once you get further in the game in terms of party banter. However, I get what you mean about the party characters being flat. My romance options are so bland that they're not very interesting. In DA:O, the dialogue was complex and the characters approach YOU. I haven't had that experience in DA:I. I only have 20 hours logged so as I go along maybe that will change/develop but as it stands, it doesn't feel that immersing.

Also, building power is such a sloooow process. I love DA:I but I can't stand fetch quests or quests that are fetch quests in disguise. I wish there could be more substance to some of these quests.

As for tying in some of the story from DA:O, I really like how so far it has tied the characters from previous games into the story and how it shows some of the growth these characters have experienced, like Lelianna who has been hardened. Before she was this flighty personality and now she's more mature, stern, and actually runs a spy network. I also like some of the cameos.

I need some Oghren in my life, though. Seriously.

Ishin
    Enchantment. :(
    ValenaeIshin
  • ENCHANTMENT!

Areka
    While romance options can be bland, I like that they've built characters around them. Like with other people, you have to consider -them- and -their- story, and recognize that they might not want to do the diddly do to their own preferences.

I'm only level 16 right now, but I haven't found the characters to be very flat. Not open and friendly, sure, and a bit hard to read due to not having built up a relationship with them, but not flat.

I'm still getting my butt kicked by dragons and have given up on trying to finish the Hinterlands right now, let alone the other areas. ><
    In relation to romance options: I love Cassandra. She's adorable once you get to know her.
    I gave Cassandra the book Swords and Shields with Varric present, @Neithan.

Me and @Sollace like to fucking died when it happened. I think I had a few laughter-tears coming out of my eyeballs.

Tbh, I'm really kind of enjoying the game. I haven't had any trouble at all collecting power, at one point I had like 109 power just from doing quests and clearing out rifts and stuff. Later on in the game you'll start getting like 2 or 3 power from doing them/clearing rifts. Once you get good at understanding how Rifts work and how to manage the demons they spawn, it's not all that bad at all :)

If I had any complaints, it would be three big things that really stand out to me.

1) Sometimes the voiceovers go really sour. Like the words get mangled and garbled. I'm not sure if that's just a corruption of the sound file, or what exactly is going on. Sounds the same in my headphones as it does coming out of the surround sound and the tv all 3 at the same time, so...

2) The rendering can take a second. I play on one of those old white xbox 360's with the interchangeable HDD's, so maybe that's it, but there are times where I have to wait a few seconds for a char's model to load and for the armor to finish getting processed in. Really annoying.

3) The game's AI is a little retarded. There's no 'Protect Party' option that I've been able to find. That's one thing I did miss about earlier games. I could like, 'if x members is under attack, taunt' or something along those lines. Atm Cass/BW will just stand over 20 ft away tanking someone they already have aggro on while an archer plucks away at me and it's like HEY BRO. HOW ABOUT DAT ARCHUR.
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
  • HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    There is only one thing I need answered before I pick this up...

...<_< Does my one true love Morrigan make an appearance at all?! I was not satisfied with the side quest in the DA: Origin expansions.
    ¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
    Draiman
    She does, and she has sass.
    Haven
    Areka said:

She does, and she has sass.

@Haven - Ya bro, she's a badass in this game too!
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
    Haven
  • What level are you, Ishin? I'm level 8. I just made it to closing the rift in Haven.

What characs are you all playing? I'm curious. :)

Also, you guys are making me excited to get further in the game to feel the characters out. It sounds like they just get better as you go along.

I'm playing a human mage (romancing Cullen because he's adorable), an elf rogue (solas), a qunari warrior (Josephine), and a Qunari mage (Iron Bull because lol). Because I'm a masochist. Taking each in different forks in the story.

One of my favourite dialogues so far is between Iron Bull and Vivienne. They make me giggle out loud.

Just got my human up to 18.
    Valenae
    edited December 2014
    Valenae said:

What level are you, Ishin? I'm level 8. I just made it to closing the rift in Haven.

What characs are you all playing? I'm curious. :)

Also, you guys are making me excited to get further in the game to feel the characters out. It sounds like they just get better as you go along.

Female Qunari DW Rogue is my biggest character. I think she's close to level 20 by now. Definitely between 17 and 20 :) Romancing Sera, because @Noelle inspired me to xD

I also have a male human mage. Running fire and lightning on him, with Peaceful Aura from the Spirit tree to help keep dat aggro down T_T

@Sollace has a female elf archer. Seems to be really enjoying it. If she ever learns how to coordinate moving both thumbs at once, she'll be a beast. (She didn't game before moving in with me. I'm a terrible influence. I used to lol at her for hours for dying in Skyrim xD)
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
    HavenValenaeSollaceTrager
  • I have a dwarven, female, lvl 9, sword and board. Originally she was supposed to romance Varric but it turns out he's off limits so she's romancing Blackwall. And possibly Sera.

I also have a human, female, Mage, lvl 2. She's going to probably romance Cullen.

I have a human male mage, who I think it's obvious he's romancing Cassandra.

I'll figure out what else I wanna play later.
    Valenae
  • So can we talk about that ending because wow wtf.

I don't know how to spoiler but FOLLOWING IS A SPOILER STOP READING NOW
    omg dread wolf what happened did you just get bodysnatched or did you kill her or what?!
    Valenae
  • Spoiler below!

I know!! I was so confused! Goddamn you, Mythal! I was like, noooo Dread Wolf! Was he bodysnatched or was it Mythal? From the context clues I'm pretty sure it was Mythal bodysnatching the Dread Wolf. :/ Also, it took me a few minutes to put it all together with the orb and stuff. I just stared at the screen like what did I just watch lol

Areka
  • Sorry for the double post; it won't let me edit.

More spoilers!

I actually made a new character specifically for Dread Wolf rp after the ending >.> I was really impressed with the way it all tied together with the sun thrown, the bodysnatching, the character development over three games with Mythal, the hero of Fereldan quest, meeting Hawke and getting to decide her fate. I wonder if they'll make the bodysnatching arc into a DLC.

ArekaSollace
  • HadrakHadrak Dorohedoro
    Just got DA:I for $4. Can't wait to GET IT ON.

ValenaeArekaIshin
    Hadrak said:

Just got DA:I for $4. Can't wait to GET IT ON.

It's pretty awesome. Don't stay in the Hinterlands for longer than you have to in the beginning. once you step outside, you start getting party recruitment quests after, and you can go right back in afterwards since you pickup Blackwall in Hinterlands anyway.
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
    ValenaeSollace
  • I've a hot elf archer chick -I forgot what level, but I love playing.
    And I don't die nearly as much as I used to in Skyrim.
    GO ME!
    Haven
  • HadrakHadrak Dorohedoro
    Well, that was exciting. Cassandra screams, "She's taken flight!" Sorry, Cassandra--what's taken flight? Do you not see me harvesting my 500th elfroot? And then I hear the dragon blasting the air above me. YEAH WE'RE NOT DOING THIS THANKS CASSANDRA

IshinArekaValenae