Would you like to see the Hood Artifact deleted?

DaskalosDaskalos Credit Whore ExtraordinareRolling amongst piles of credits.
edited December 2012 in Harpy's Head Tavern
Playing off Haven's recent thread, and knowing that this poll has no administrative backing so this is just a way to see how many people think the hood should be deleted. Poll results are anonymous.

Message #17059 Sent By: Oleis           Received On: 1/03/2014/17:24
"If it makes you feel better, just checking your artifact list threatens to crash my mudlet."

Comments

• Out of excessive caution, I just wanted to make a comment about using a poll as a gauge of what should be done with the hood.

For a prohibitively high cost artifact like the hood of elusion (2000 cr), what you have is a situation where most people don't have it, while few do. Most will thus find themselves thinking to themselves that they will unlikely ever get the hood or even dream of getting it. Consequently, there is an inherent tendency for most people to be completely fine with having it removed.

To use an analogy for illustration, it is a bit like asking whether you should tax the rich to benefit the poor. Most people are going to say 'hell yeah', because they can't put themselves in the shoes of the rich people. The question is easily answered depending on who you are, rather than whether it is the right thing to do.

Thus, I think it might stlil be better to have a reasoned discussion about it. List the pros and cons, weigh them. Then decide.
    LunaIlyonZun
  • HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    The artifact is heavily flawed. If everyone bought the artifact today, the value of it instantly drops to zero as it'll now do absolutely nothing at all. Then what did you spend credits on? What other artifact does that?

The combat application of the artifact is also far too potent too in my opinion.
    ¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
    I personally don't believe the admin will delete the artifact due to its $600 or so value. That's a lot of $$ to be flushing down the drain.

I think the suggestion I provided in the other thread is a perfect alternative that maintains its value if not increases it (I think it increases.) as an initial ambusher and a means to keep yourself off the radar indefinitely for those super private folks WHILE ALSO addressing the imbalances and actually giving a customer a perk.
    havenbanner2
  • IllikaalIllikaal Pray Area
    edited December 2012
    LOL! I was really surprised to see the result. But it's like Haven said. They won't delete the artifact because it brings in dat money. Raz has to get paid some way or the other. Also, the only reason I personally have a hood is to track down the people that I need to kill on a regular basis who have it. Ison, Mazzion, Tralendar, Tyrak, Dourif, etc. Else, I wouldn't have one. To this day, I still hate myself for owning one. Still, I'd love to see it removed.

What I'd also like to see is a "Do you want to see the lyre deleted" poll. >.>
    "And finally, swear to Me: You will give your life to Dendara for you are Tiarna an-Kiar."
  • I personally chose the last option, and am in full favour of Haven's suggestion.

Actually, if I hadn't read his suggestion wrong, on top of the 'player aggression' tag, he also suggested that someone else with the hood would not be able to detect others with the hood.

Reason I'm in favour of keeping it but nerfing its combat potency is:
    1. An artifact - that loses its value the more people who gets it - generates a lot of cheated feelings, leaving a bad taste in the mouth. It's bad for business. Even from an admin standpoint.
    2. I want to be Sneaky, even outside of combat, and am considering buying it one day when I strike lottery.
    Thus, my preference is keep it, but nerf it.
    Haven
    If the nerf/buff were to go through, they'd need to change the Hunting Ground artifacts and other similar items as well to nullify the hood artifact while in possession of them. Otherwise combat would surround those items even less if they ever fell into the hands of someone with a hood.

Which goes against the spirit of the hunting ground artifacts.
    havenbanner2
  • LinLin Blackbird The Moonglade
    Refunding it won't nullify its value, unless you envision Iron Realms writing $600.00 checks to every player who has one. They'll give it back to you in credits, which you'll spend on more artifacts, so really, it's not a loss.
    DaskalosAngwe
  • Bound credits, most likely, which means you wouldn't even be spending them on another character.

• AlexinaAlexina the Haunted Soul
    So.

1. The hood is an artifact that completely and utterly skews the action-to-consequence ratio. I can go spy on people without hoods with no consequence. I can go kill people without hoods without ever fearing retaliation. I can be a jerk in every way possible; unless you have a hood, you will have no chance of getting even. There is nothing more frustrating than being attacked without having any chance of retaliation. It makes you feel helpless. The game would be better off without both the hood artifact and the gem of cloaking artifact.

2. Aetolia is a game based inherently around interaction, whether fighting with your deadliest adversaries or simply visiting one of your friends for a drink. Being unable to actually find people makes any sort of interaction impossible. Obviously, you're not always interested in roleplaying or fighting certain people, but that's also an important aspect of the game. Like I mentioned in my previous post, sometimes we do things that're supposed to have consequences.

3. I don't really have any data, but I am making an assumption that deleting the hood of eleusion from the game will have little to no impact on IRE's revenue. First of all, not a very large portion of credits purchased go towards any specific artifact. Even amongst artifacts, the hood is one of the least commonly purchased one. Even then - and this is another assumption - most people who purchased the hood would probably have bought another artifact, or get another class, or invest in some other way in this game if the hood hadn't been available in the first place. Either way, saying that 'this discussion is futile because Razmael wants monies' seems like the least constructive way to start getting things changed.

Quite simply: In the long run, Aetolia would be better off without the hood. And even the gem of cloaking.
    XarianKonnornIllikaalAngweDasha
  • DaskalosDaskalos Credit Whore Extraordinare Rolling amongst piles of credits.
    I don't see the point in the gem of cloaking being removed, simply because a) a chameleon tattoo does the same thing and b) it doesn't block farsee, so you can farsee people. All it does is remove quickwho and a highlighted name. If you really want to get someone, just farsee them.

Message #17059 Sent By: Oleis           Received On: 1/03/2014/17:24
    "If it makes you feel better, just checking your artifact list threatens to crash my mudlet."

Cloaking's fine. Honestly I think it's a waste of credits, but kudos to anyone who has one.
  • DaingeanDaingean Xanhaal, probably.
    Chameleon is a free cloaking if you've got the racial.

Unless you're like me and only chameleon people that make it obvious it's you.

Or if people are jerks, and chameleon you, thus negating the actual upside to being chameleoned.

Down with the hood!
    Proudly fighting against Greytolia since the [approximately] 3/1/2010 at 18:00.
  • +--------------------------- CHANGELOG ENTRY #304 ----------------------------+
    |  Entered by: Razmael                             Date: 2012/12/28 22:33:26  |
    +--------------------------------- CHANGE ------------------------------------+

- Rewrote artifact tradein code. You can now tradein Iron Coin
    artifacts!

- Cloak of Obscurity's price has been increased to 500ic.

- Transportation token's price has been increased to 2000ic.

Something is about to happen!!

Lin
  • AlexinaAlexina the Haunted Soul
    Oh, I almost forgot:

There is always the option of separating the hood into two powers: one for hiding from location abilities, another for being able to sense people with the hiding property. Priced at 1,000 credits each.
    Haven
    Alexina said:
    Oh, I almost forgot:

There is always the option of separating the hood into two powers: one for hiding from location abilities, another for being able to sense people with the hiding property. Priced at 1,000 credits each.
    No!
    havenbanner2
  • I'd definitely have to say no as well. I'd just like it to go entirely. 
    "And finally, swear to Me: You will give your life to Dendara for you are Tiarna an-Kiar."
    Yeah Lexi, that entirely defeats the purpose I think.