Stealth Disconnects....? Yeah that's what I said.

Hey everyone,

So I'm having an issue when I play Aetolia. I'm not sure if this is an intended feature of the MUD to keep people from going afk or something but whenever I go idle for more than about a minute, I get disconnected. However this is the interesting part. My client doesn't give any indication that I am disconnected. When I type something in after this minute or so (such as "look") I just get no feedback from the MUD and then after about 30 seconds of sitting there waiting, my client tells me I'm now disconnected. This makes typing a long news post, message, or mail very very annoying.

Troubleshooting I've already done.....
1) Tested with other MUDs. The problem only occurs with Aetolia (haven't tried other IRE MUDs though)
2) Tried multiple clients. The issue persists whether I'm on CMUD or Mudlet.
3) Gave up, drank whiskey.

Has anyone else experienced this same issue? Is there any resolution? Thanks in advance for any help provided.

-Kalinaar

Comments

• OleisOleis Producer Emeritus Administrator, Immortal
    This has been a frequent explosion for me up in the Pools, when I realize that the steady flow of debug messages, credit reports, and player tears has stopped and my screen is no longer constantly scrolling.

"Alas!" I shout, as I go to see what has happened, and Mudlet has silently disconnected.

This is something that also happens to me on Imperian with the same relative frequency (though I spend much less time logged into Imperian). You and I are on opposite coasts, so I don't foresee it being a geographical thing. It also happened to me on MUSHClient, so I frankly don't know.
    You say to Slyphe, "You're so freaking smart."
    [---]
    "^," Slyphe agrees with you.
    Aryanne
  • I've been having this issue on and off with Cmud and Mushclient. Haven't had it happen with the webclient at all, though.

• Probably a silly question, but have you set the timeout correctly?

• Kaleigh was kind enough to point that out...apparently Aetolia sets it automatically to 0 minutes. Which, if I'm correct makes you auto-disconnect at 59 seconds. I just set it and it looks like that fixed it.

Sorry, I'm still an Aetolia nublet. :blush:
  • This happens to me several times a day. I'm sure it's not my timeout; which is set to 60, and it often happens in the middle of me doing something.
    Aryanne
  • Hi @Kalinaar! I don't know if this will fix your problem but you might give it a shot.

Press Alt + E while in Mudlet and go to the Timers page. You're going to create a new timer (call it whatever you want, mine is "Anti-AFK"). Set the seconds to "30". In the script window for the timer, paste this:

sendGMCP("Core.KeepAlive")

Let me know if that works!

i am rapture coder
    KalinaarElie
  • While for now changing the timeout might have seemed to fix it, it doesn't sound like a timeout problem at all. (Though I would be fascinated to hear if it DOES permanently solve the problem)

When you timeout the client should actually act like you've timed out immediately. There shouldn't be MINUTES of non-reaction on the player end until you QL or QW or finish typing your emote and hit enter and then 30 seconds later the "Ope! not there anymore" bit begins.

Because the webclient has never had this problem, I've been using it primarily for months now to save myself headaches

• I had this problem a lot initially... cmud... so I set my timeout to 10 and every time it warns me I have it look. I am never logged in when I am not able to check in those times, I am just usually too busy to track.
  • Omei said:

Hi @Kalinaar! I don't know if this will fix your problem but you might give it a shot.

Press Alt + E while in Mudlet and go to the Timers page. You're going to create a new timer (call it whatever you want, mine is "Anti-AFK"). Set the seconds to "30". In the script window for the timer, paste this:

sendGMCP("Core.KeepAlive")

Let me know if that works!

<3 you.
    Omei
  • IshinIshin Retired Lurker Virginia
    I used to have a similar problem, @Kalinaar. It was, actually, my wireless router at the time being schitzo. It was just an issue specific to that router and the IRE games. Never had an issue with League or WoW, just the IREs. Never figured out why.
    Tell me and I forget, teach me and
    I remember, involve me and I
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    I had the same issue back in Avalon years ago, and just assumed it was some quirk of MUD/client connection. Ever since then I've made tick timers to send a blank line every 1-5 minutes and never had the issue again on other muds.
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    This happens to me a lot too.
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    like it just happened now while I was browsing the forums...
    Aryanne