A Free People

edited July 2014 in Roleplay Logs
[This is some time after Moghedu was successfully relocated from the Mhojave to the Siroccians. While Nola was not able to be there herself, she worked with Kerryn on the plans as she was able and the rest of the Daru that were present gave aide. Rictus had just finished his Awakening ceremony following his initiate exam with Jami and Zahera, with Zahera's Seeker exam to follow, when Nesventesh showed up wanting to learn of the Daru ways. Jami lets Nola know, and so takes up where Nola arrived in the Monastery.]

--- Hall of Flame -------------- 17:-37:0 ---
The stars twinkle in the clear night sky. A skilled hand has painted a large mural across the far wall. A crescent of flame glows brightly here, holding its shape easily. Resting here atop a waist-high column is a statuette of the Khimaira. There are 2 monolith sigils here. Nesventesh, the Great Mhunna is here. Initiate of Purity, Drahkuna Silverain is here. Seeker of Purity, Zura Zeze Zahera is here. Grand Mistress Jami Siarani is here. She wields a cast-iron cooking pot in her left hand.
You see a single exit leading south.

Pressing the open palm of her left hand against the clenched fist of her right, Nesventesh bows respectfully.

You place your palms together in front of your chest, and bow respectfully.

Zahera turns towards you and places her palms together in front of her chest, bowing respectfully.

Drahkuna turns towards you and places his palms together in front of his chest, bowing respectfully.

Pleasantly, Seeker of Purity, Zura Zeze Zahera says, "Good evening, Khimaira."

Jami turns to you, bowing as she clasps her palms together, "Khimaira, we have a very special visitor who wishes our aide.

With a small smile, you say, "Hello, everyone. Mhunna, what a pleasure it is to have you visit."

"I am Nesventesh Mogheyidu," Nesventesh says by way of introduction, bowing low to you. "I am Mhunna Mhuin - the Great Mhunna - and I have come to learn your ways."

Her voice laden with crackling fire, Jami whispers warmly to you, "She stated that her people have now stepped into the light, and it is time that she gave them fire, the Light of the Mhun."

Haven arrives from the south.

Zahera turns towards Haven, places her palms together in front of her chest, and bows respectfully.

Nola bows once more, out of respect, her palms meeting with one another in the traditional Daru form. "An honor. We would be more than happy to teach you," she says, slowly straightening up once more. She glances at Jami, an affectionate smile briefly passing over her lips. "I am pleasantly surprised. Not many seek out the way of a Zealot."

Drahkuna turns towards Haven, places his palms together in front of his chest, and bows respectfully.

Zahera turns back to the exchange betwixt Nesventesh and you almost immediately after bowing, her expression serene and content.

Haven offers a nod of acknowledgement to those gathered before adopting a semi-formal posture where his hands are linked loosely behind his back.

"Not many are Mhunna Mhuin," Nesventesh counters, rising up again - her bow was customary Sentaari, but the stance she rises into is strange, foreign, not at all a part of the Tekura style. "We have need of many teachings; the Mhun have languished in a darkness and an ignorance. They need light and they need knowledge to bring them forward. So I learn on their behalf so I may teach them."

Jami spreads her palms, her face mirroring her obvious concentration as a flickering ball of flame appears, "We would happily teach the ways of the Daru, just as my Sister took you into the Sentaari. The darkness will be banished."

Rictus arrives from the south.

Rictus places his palms together in front of his chest and bows respectfully.

Drahkuna turns towards Rictus, places his palms together in front of his chest, and bows respectfully.

Nesventesh's hand rises - with intent focus upon Jami, her fingers spread wide, her feet spreading as she grounds herself.

Nola dips her head into a brief nod, her expression sobering into one of thoughtful consideration, "I understand," she says, taking a glance at all those other Daru gathered. "Then we will bring them Light, and Fire with it, no?" she seems to be presenting the question to each Daru present before she refocuses on Nesventesh. "Our way is one that requires a great self-discipline. It is a narrow walk we take - one in which, you are either all for the Light, or not at all. It will take time to learn this practice, are you then also willing to take that time and make any necessary sacrifices?"

Fire blossoms in Nesventesh's hand - small at first, but greater and greater, wavering a moment or two before stabilizing into a bright, white-hot orb. She turns, illuminated by the glow, gazing at you. "I will take the time to learn of your ways."

"my apologies, had a Gnat buzzing in my ear. Had to purge it with fire a few times." Rictus stops speaking upon your words, his ears perking slightly as he listens in.

Her voice laden with crackling fire, Jami whispers warmly to you, "My my, she is a fast learner. She must already be in touch with her spark."

Drahkuna nods his head at Rictus.

Haven nods his head at you, showing his acceptance.

Nola's lips curve into a pleased grin, "Seems some time spent has already paid off for you," she states. "Shall I formally welcome you among the Daru, then?" she asks, spreading her hands out to her sides, head canting to one side. She seems to watch the Mhunna with a reserved form of curiosity.

For her part, Zahera stays pretty much silent, her gaze flicking to the fire in Nesventesh's hand with a warm smile.

For her part, Zahera stays pretty much silent, her gaze flicking to the fire in Nesventesh's hand with a warm smile.

<<Daru>>: Jami says, "He did Khimaira, and that is when Nesventesh made herself known. Scared me half to death."

There is a moment of hesitation. Then Nesventesh shakes her head. She lets her hand fall, but the brilliant orb hangs in the air, fixed. "I cannot join your Monastery. That is not a commitment that I can make, Chimaira Dairu."

Nesventesh says, "I wish to study your ways, and I am no enemy of yours, but my place and my foremost obligation lies with my people."

Her voice laden with crackling fire, Jami whispers warmly to you, "She is good Khimaira, I will vouch for her. Stake my life on it."

Rictus's eyes fixed on the orb. He moves over to nudge Zahera slightly, muttering a nearly silent, "Ooooh."

Nola shakes her head, saying, "I apologize, that was not clear of me - I did not mean as a member for I understand you have more important obligations, but I would still welcome you as one learning the ways. Just as any student here is doing. While you are learning our ways, I would still consider you a fellow zealot, if not officially." She waves a hand then, saying, "Whatever you are comfortable with though, is priority."

Nola clears her throat abruptly, a stern frown touching her brow as she announces, "Now, I believe someone else is waiting on their exam, Mistress. Let us move things along - the Mhunna and I shall have some words, but this is no reason to distract from prior duties."

Nesventesh considers for a moment and then nods smoothly, clasping her hands and bowing to you. "Of course, Chimaira," she responds. "Your terms are acceptable."

Nesventesh says, "You should attend to your student."

Initiate of Purity, Drahkuna Silverain says, "I'll leave you to interview, Grand Mistress. It's been a privilege, Great Mhunna."

Drahkuna places his palms together in front of his chest and bows respectfully.

Drahkuna leaves to the south.

Haven inclines his head politely to those around him.

Zahera grins at Rictus a moment before turning her gaze back and offering up, "If both of you need to focus on this for the moment, please don't feel obligated to put my interview above an entire people potentially being taught our light and fire."

Haven Locke of the Black Sun says to you, "Call upon me if you need me."

Jami frowns slight before she drops into a bow, her hands pressed tightly to eachother, "As you wish Khimaira, I hope you enjoy the Great Mhunna as I have.

Haven acknowledges Jami with a nod of his head.

Haven leaves to the south.

Jami leaves to the south.

Nola's smile forms smoothly as she reassures Zahera, "Not to worry. We are each a beacon of our ways. Dividing our attention does not dilute our potency or capability, I'd say. We may yet join you and Mistress Jami."

Seeker of Purity, Rictus says, "If I am required to leave, I shall. If not, I would love to just listen in, expand the mind and all that."

Seeker of Purity, Zura Zeze Zahera says, "Of course, Khimaira."

Seeker of Purity, Zura Zeze Zahera says to Nesventesh, "Walk in fire and in light, m'lady."

Zahera leaves to the south.

Still smiling, you say, "Being that you are not a formal member, being audience to a Seeker's interview may give valuable insight. But before that, I feel there is much I need to first share with you. I know nothing of your own knowledge, or beliefs, only your desire to learn. I want to teach you all I can, to best prepare your people with, but I need to know where to start. Would you share with me your own understandings?"

Nesventesh says, "My upbringing as a Mhun adherent to the seven spirits has given me the understanding that a person is three things. A body, a mind, a soul. When these two leave the body, it is nothing - the body is least important in this consideration. A vessel through which the other two act."

Nola rests a hand on Rictus' shoulder, leaning in to softly say to him, "If you were fully ranked, I would be praising you with my favor for how you performed just moments before.." Her attention is quick to return to the Mhunna, patiently listening.

Nesventesh says, "The soul is immutable - the mind can change to some extent - but the body is capable of the greatest and most intense transformation. It is unique in that it can adapt to nearly any demand, any hardship. This is not true of the mind, which is more easily wounded and must be protected with great deliberation."

"I came to the Sentaari," Nesventesh adds, "And I read the works of the philosopher Sarkis. He changed my views. He taught me that all three of these things are equally vulnerable, equally strong, equally mutable. Even the soul, the spirit - this is not unchangeable, but directly relevant to everyday life. As a Mhun, as someone who worships spirits who are not a part of your daily life, as with your Gods, you grow used to this idea of separation, of removal."

Nesventesh says, "The idea of immediacy was profoundly transformative, for me."

Nesventesh says, "Every action becomes something of reverence, something with great meaning. Sarkis describes meditative... action. Meditative thought. Meditative living. An ideal in which each moment is an opportunity to learn, to transform, to become better than you were even a second ago."

Nola watches the woman with an intense stare, her eyes tightening as she considers the words carefully. She looks pensive more than anything else.

"These spoke to me. My values. We Mhun believe less in the raw worth of things, and more in their value as finished, crafted products. The unpolished gem is only potential." Nesventesh smiles. "Cut, polished, finished, it is something far more beautiful and worthy. And so we craft ourselves, in each moment. It is one of the holiest ideas in our culture."

Nesventesh says, "This, Chimaira Dairu, is my understanding of the world."

Nola's lips spread then into a warm smile, the expression brightening her every feature, "Ah.. that is wonderful," she says, the words spoken in earnest delight. "These ideals sound very similar to our own - I believe we have something in common to work through, in that.. Somewhere I can start from."

Nesventesh says, "There is much in common between the Sentaari and Daru. They are merely different looks at similar concepts, in my view. Different schools of thought that required different guilds in order to exist in a state of peace."

Nesventesh smiles at you.

You say, "They are, in some ways.. A given, being that the two were once one."

You say, "And thus the origin shows itself."

Nesventesh says, "I read of this during my time as a mortal. The split - Clio Thetis - that history."

You nod your head emphatically.

You say, "As I take it, the Sentaari believe in three things.. of Mind, Body and Spirit. Not so different, the Daru similarly believe in Mind, Body.. and Will."

"Will." Nesventesh smiles, quietly. "I don't know about that one."

Smiling softly, you say, "I believe you'll enjoy this, then. Will is powerful.. It is the strength to carry on when times are low and hard as well as the decision that you must, when Despair would otherwise easily latch on and drag one into Darkness. It is overcoming weaknesses and obstacles. It is a force of endless possibility within the self. For us, this is driven by faith in our cause. We believe so strongly in the Light, and the stronger our faith, the stronger our Will is to succeed for it. This can be applied to many things."

You say, "In our purpose, all three of these things are equally important to strive for.. A strong Body, to fight the physical fight. Purge the plague of Undeath, to oppose the oppressors and agents of Corruption by force. A strong Mind, to counter faulty logic with, to not be ignorant so as to not be easily deceived, but rather, to see and know with clarity and understanding. A strong Will.. to overcome with, to not be cowled with, to not settle and to not break, as well as to not be coaxed away with empty promises of greater power so often thrown our way."

You say, "All three of these things are necessary to seeing our purpose made into reality. You can not rely on someone else to do what needs to be done. You must do so with your own hands. This is what self-discipline is for."

Nesventesh nods her head at you.

You say, "If any part of these three things is vulnerable, not practiced in, not strengthened, you give the enemy a point in which they have the advantage over you."

You say, "This is one part of Daru philosophy."

Nola's brow dips with consideration as she says, "I am unsure how much of our beginning you know of, but knowing the foundation, and the transitions the Daru went through is important as well.. We were a guild of Rahn's followers to start - The God of Fire and Perfection. The guild's principles manifested and revolved around His. The means to an end was not considered, then. It was simply the end that mattered."

You say, "We still believe that the end is important, but the journey there is just so. We were shown that, with Rahn's passing, not even Perfection can go Uncorrupted. A perfect being can still become and be, perfectly, corrupt. When the Lady of Fire, Auresae, came into existent, the guild changed with the realization of Purity and it's virtuous lesson. If we were to truly be a Monastery that stood for the Light, then we must also practice ways that remained within the Light. This is where we forwent Perfection, and started the belief in Purity - to remain Pure in intent in all things. We still practice that Perfection in Mind, Body and Will are valuable goals, but we now do so with a Pure mindset. If we slaughter innocents to kill a handful of vampires, then we are compromising our own beliefs, and we are no longer beacons for the Light's way, but shadows of the same crimes we stand against."

You say, "The Light cannot reside in a Corrupt vessel."

"So you have evolved with the rebirth of Fire," Nesventesh concludes. "The old teachings of Rahn are important, but secondary to what Auresae now teaches."

Nola dips her head in a brief nod, smiling, "Yes, precisely so.."

Rictus's mouth turns up as his face breaks into a smile.

Nesventesh's brow knits. She seems momentarily distracted by some thought, her lips pursing together. "There has been no clear evolution of Mhun faith in three Epochs. It seems that your Gods change their minds more often than our spirits."

Nesventesh says, "Is change acknowledged at all, in your teachings? It is clear that your understanding of the world is subject to change, transformation, reinterpretation. Is this provided for in your ideals?"

You say, "Purity is our most important ideal. It is that which is furthest from what we oppose, so it only makes sense that we focus on it. Not just as a tool, but as a way of life. So sometimes change is necessary, and important, if it means growing stronger for our cause."

Nesventesh says, "But not for its own sake - in service to your existing ideals, particularly the concept of Purity."

You say, "Perhaps not in so obvious or great a way, Mhunna. You are correct that change for the sake of change, is not something we agree with. It is.. a reflection of something more.. dare I say fickle. To change just to change.. why? It leaves a sense of discordance with it, of uncertainty."

You say, "I am certain that the path I follow now is the right one, no matter what sacrifice I will have to make, no matter what obstacles I will face."

"Some things are graven in stone," Nesventesh agrees, calmly. Her head dips forward in acknowledgement.

The night sky is clear, and the stars twinkle like diamonds.

You say, "Everything I do, is for the Light, and if it is not within the Light, then it is not for the Light. So it is not something I will do. This seems simple enough to me, but I have been living this way for a long time, and even I have changed over time, but.. not drastically, it is a natural change that comes with understanding, with learning and growing."

You say, "That is the kind of change that one should embrace, for it makes you wiser, more practiced, more able.."

You say, "I would say.."

Nesventesh says, "Meditative living."

You nod your head emphatically.

You say, "If we changed so greatly every time the wind blew in a different direction."

You say, "Then we would have no one true identity."

Nesventesh nods, firmly - her agreement is clear and absolute.

Seeker of Purity, Rictus says, "We would be as smoke, never taking shape, never obtaining our full potential."

Smiling, you say, "Aye.. and, there is great benefit to our way of life, to staying as we have for so long."

You say, "Some often push that we 'need' to change. Because they don't see it the way we do."

You say, "But our Monastery is stronger than most might realize.. Small, yes. But. We are not divided, fighting amongst ourselves. We are not yearning for a purpose, directionless and apathetic."

You say, "We are united. We are supportive.. we are respectful and determined and each is an individual unto themselves. A representative."

Rictus nods his head emphatically.

"There is a strong collective identity. You are graven into one another by common ways and common tradition." Nesventesh smiles. "I can respect that."

Nola's small, reserved smile seems to broaden, "I find it a testament that we are doing something right."

You say, "Now.. the Light, we have not spoken on yet. Though, it is the most important aspect.. being our entire purpose."

Nesventesh says, "What is the Light, in your view?"

Nola comes to life with the question, the steady passion sparked into visibility, clearly reflected in her vibrant eyes. "The Light is many things to me. It is multi-faceted, much like a finely cut gem.. made by the very best," she says with a small grin, pausing only a moment, "To many, the Light is a guide, or life itself. I would not ever limit it to such restrictive definitions. No, it is both of those things, and more. More than anything, to me, the Light is a calling, a refinement of one's character, to exemplify all virtues known and understood.. whether it be Compassion, Purity, Generosity, Truth, Courage and Valor.. these are things that reflect the Light, as aspects through which we can grow closer to it. I see the Light in people, through their actions and words.. It is a living and existing thing, a state of being. I feel it in my own self.. a strong, undeniable force that begs me onward. That makes me stand if I fall. That moves my feet when action is needed, that tempers my tongue in the heat of a moment. This is how I know the Light."

Nesventesh listens in silence, with nods here and there to punctuate your statements.

Rictus adds, "It is also what I use to purge the darkness within my enemies!" He then goes silent as quickly as he began with a slight smile. "My apologies," he murmurs.

"There is often a misunderstanding, though.. that good deeds equal the Light, and bad, the Darkness. This isn't so.." says Nola as she glances at Rictus with a quick grin. "Good and bad are both very subjective terms.. given to anyone's interpretation. The Light, the Darkness, these things are .. as you would put, graven in stone. They can not be changed by one man's idea. They are what they are.. for even a vampire could perform an act deemed 'good', but that does not make them a creature that exists in the Light."

"I hear you," Nesventesh acknowledges. "They are not alike."

Nola rests her arms comfortably across her chest, folding them. "This is all that I can teach you, for now, by word of mouth.. My definition of the Darkness is simply that which works to oppose all that the Light is.. Greed, Corruption, Malice and Hatred, Deception and Artifice.. Undeath, the Blood." She simply shakes her head with a small sigh, "Our enemies are great and powerful, and not to to be underestimated, so we must grow stronger, always."

Nodding grimly, Nesventesh says, "I agree with your definition. We have existed under an empire that embodies all of these things for hundreds of years. We need no definition for Darkness. The memory of Darkness is graven in the stone of our memories."

Nola's expression softens with a sobering acknowledgement, "Aye.. I am more than thankful that we could all aide in your move to be rid of such cruel shackles. It is one of many reasons I will not cease in my own efforts to see such filth and ideas driven from our lands, to make a better place for all."

You say, "As my Lord would put it.. so long as there are those in chains, we too, are in chains."

Nesventesh says, "I have spoken with another servant of your Lord. He is my favorite, of your Gods; his acknowledgement of our plight is more than any of his kind have given my race in recorded history."

Nola's smile warms at the mention, a tender expression. "He never was one to turn a blind eye.. He sees the Truth and does not turn away from it. It is there. It is real. Something must be done about it, or it will remain so. I am pleased.. to hear that He has earned your favor in such a way. It warms the heart."

Nesventesh says, "I am not overly fond, as a rule. I hope you take no offense from my statement. It is simply our experience that we have had to rely, first and foremost, upon ourselves and our own ideals and identity. Much of what you say makes sense to me - your ideals, your culture, your ways. It is no wonder many Mhun come here."

Smiling, you say, "I take no offense at all, Mhunna. I completely understand."

You say, "It is my hopeful wish that this similarity will be a benefit to any further transition into the Light for your people."

"I will carry the ideas of the Daru to them. They will find an audience," Nesventesh promises. Her form wavers, indistinct for a moment, but then solidifies again; as if her physical existence is a matter of deliberation, rather than fact.

Nodding, you say, "Just so, if you ever need me, or any other Daru.. feel welcome here, among us. To approach. You and your people are out in the world, free, and not so alone, anymore. I will continue to help you in any way I can, and the same goes for any of us here."

Rictus nods his head emphatically.

Gratefully, Nesventesh dips into a bow; at first opting for the Sentaari style, but deliberately shifting to Daru instead. She rises again, smiling across toward you and Rictus. "Many more Mhun will come, now. Now that they are free. It remains to be seen what will happen, but for now..."

Nesventesh says, "For now, I have a new set of teachings to tell them about."

Nesventesh disperses in a swirl of heat, sand, and cloudblossoms.

[I really, really enjoyed this interaction. Even if I was the one who ended up saying the most and Nesventesh was just going along agreeing, I loved the bits where I got to learn more about Mhun culture first-hand from their leader. Whoever ran this entire event - you did an absolutely amazing job. It has been one of the most enjoyable, engaging events I've been part to. It made it feel like the efforts of everyone really were important and had weight to them. So thank you for this opportunity!]
EmellePiper