Cake? Yes, please.

Comments

• EzalorEzalor Emperor D'baen Canada
    edited January 2015
    @Aryanne heh, I'm only in there that long because I do pretty rigorous weightlifting workouts since I don't want to lose muscle weight. Just for the purposes of weight loss 20-30 minutes a day is enough (actually if you don't care about endurance or muscle you don't have to go at all), diet is the biggest proponent of weight loss. Calories in < calories out, gym just helps with the right side of that.

I say it's easy because it's become like a hobby to me. I found that I was getting good wasting time AT wasting time...oftentimes I'd just sit there feeling bored but unwilling to dive into my Steam library or start a new movie or anything. So I just sit there refreshing reddit aimlessly. Time wasn't my constraint, I wasn't even wasting it properly.

I've actually grown to enjoy lifting weights and even for cardio I'll pop on an audiobook or watch TV while doing stairs. For anyone dreading going to the gym and running I'd definitely recommend to give weightlifting a try. For people worried about looking too bulky, it's a pretty unfounded worry. You'd have to be going through serious bulk cycles over several years to begin to achieve a huge look. The people who do look like that have dedicated years of targeted work to look that way, it's not casually obtainable even if you were after it.
    NolaAryanneEmelleIshinMoirean
  • For the Week of:

Jan. 3, 2015 - Jan. 10, 2015
    Current Weight (lbs): 143lbs - one down, three more to go!!

Where I started (lbs): 215lbs
    Where I want to end up (lbs):
    140lbs

WEEKLY GOALS:

The only thing I'm focusing on right now is being consistent. I've even stopped counting my calories altogether. Why? Because I've cut out as much sugar as possible, as much fat as possible, to focus on burning fat and slimming down. I've been doing this by eating a lot more raw vegetables, and as little processed/takeout foods as possible. Lots of water. I've got some Truvia sweetener now (calorie free, sugar free, natural sweetener), so I use that if I need to, or I get some Zevia if I want soda - it's a soda sweetened with Stevia (which is what Truvia basically is), so it's also calorie free, sugar free, very low soda. It pretty much has nothing in it but carbonated water, stevia and flavoring. The Cola one actually tastes like Cola, and the Root Beer one is good too.

HIGHLIGHTS OF LAST WEEK:

Maintaining Zumba at least twice a week and gaining a partner with @Colette joining me! I won't be going tonight because a friend is moving so I've decided that instead of cutting time out of that get together, I'm going to just go enjoy myself with my friends.

Trying Zevia. Eating more vegetables. Feeling better and better - my tummy is slimming down! It's so strange and delightful. There was also a new kind of hummus that doesn't use chickpeas, and I LOVE hummus, but I usually can't eat very much of it. This new kind uses Edamame instead, is less in all areas, and delicious. I love it. I eat it with my carrot and cucumber slices.

I have not had any alcoholic beverage since Monday, and I plan on sticking to this. Instead of saying 'I will not have any more to drink unless for special occasions', I've found that just taking it week by week, day by day, is easiest. It's working.

LOWLIGHTS OF THE WEEK:

Still dealing with break up sadness. I've been good about staying motivated despite that, and have just focused on what's around me. Productivity is winning, which is actually something very new for me. I usually can't cope with things like that, especially something this painful. I don't know if it's maturity, or just stubborn determination, or what.

I was starving, there was nothing to eat, so late last night I got food with friends at steak and shake. I ate french fries and like, REAL BREAD, awful-for-you stuff for the first time in months.

Less time for Aetolia lately. But everyone seems to be understanding and supportive, and I hope they know how appreciative I am for that during this time. It really helps me get through this.

I like #THIS# about Myself This Week:

That I'm staying productive, I'm not falling behind in my classes or my health.
    AryanneEmelleColetteMarienaArbre[Deleted User]Moirean
  • I feel like venting about something related to all this, so I'm gonna!

Nothing irritates me much more with attempting to get healthier than when people challenge that I need to. If I KNOW I am a lazy ass, who seriously needs to get healthier in order to live a long, full life, don't INSIST that "Whaaat? No! You're so thin! Don't talk about yourself like that! Naaaah, I'm sure you're in great shape!"

No! I'm not! I know I have about 36% body fat, 32% is considered "obese" in the body fat land version of health assessment. To boot, I carry my weight in my torso, the least-healthy place of all!

Maybe it shouldn't irk me when people argue against my need to be healthier, because I think they're either doing it because of their own insecurities or because they think that's the nice thing to do... But it does!

AldricNolaAshmerColetteEzalor
  • I couldn't agree with you more there Aryanne. Back when I dropped 50 pounds the first time, I was sitting at like ~240ish, with a goal of dropping 20 more pounds. Every time I'd bring it up or get compliments and I'd respond with something along the lines of, "Thanks, I've almost reached my goal" I'd get tons of, "Well be careful not to lose too much weight, you look good now."

No no no. 220 pounds is still pretty big for a guy. I have no desire to be skinny, and I do like having some mass (certainly helps with the 50 million people constantly asking me to help them move) but just .. no.
    Feelings, sensations that you thought were dead. No squealin' remember, that it's all in your head.
    AryanneAshmerMarienaColette
  • Just wanted to pop in and say all of you guys are awesome and I use this thread whenever I need motivation to do something. The work you guys put in and your determination is just pure awesome, and inspiring, so thanks a lot.
    "You ever been divided by zero?" Nia asks you with a squint.

KendriNolaIshinColetteAryanneMoireanAldric
  • IshinIshin Retired Lurker Virginia
    @Colette - Just piping in as I do from time to time, but it already looks pretty awesome on you <3
    Tell me and I forget, teach me and
    I remember, involve me and I
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
    NolaColetteAryanneAshmerMarienaTeaniEmelleMelantha
  • Woop, check in.

Where I started: 131

Where I am: 129

Goal: 120

The goods: Sun-Weds last week I ran every day, did the barn work alone and ate like a champ, and only had like, 4 glasses of wine through all that (great for me :>)

The bads: Thursday: Fever, sick. Had a dump truck of wood shavings delivered for the barn, and I was the only one home and had to shovel. them. all. while. dying. Somehow during that, I smashed my hand real good and didn't even notice it. A few hours later I couldn't bend my ring finger and the knuckle was completely black and bruised. Which meant working Friday while sick and injured SUCKED. Then Sat-Sun I did literally nothing besides homework and reading homework, thought for sure it was a bust of a week. Lesson learned? Don't break up with alcohol, just take a break, or bad things happen?

Weighed myself this morning, got pumped that I was exactly 129.0, did a little victory dance and got my ass back on the treadmill for a few more miles today. Still taking it easy, with the back injury I'm super paranoid of it coming back. That was a terrible year of my life.

Next week: 128!
    MarienaMoireanColetteAryanneEmelleEzalorIshin
  • MarienaMariena By a lake.

For the Week of:

Jan. 25, 2015 - Feb 1, 2015

Current Weight (lbs):

Where I started (lbs):

WEEKLY GOALS:

I don't really have a goal this week! Ah... 4 days of exercise. Solid, not halfassed exercise.

HIGHLIGHTS OF LAST WEEK:

Did pretty good over all.

LOWLIGHTS OF THE WEEK:

Fucking Stomach flu.

Pursuing something that scares me means I'm growing, right?
    >

MoireanAryanneEmelleEzalorColette
    @moirean Yay! Welcome! Stay with us, we're lovely folks.

MoireanIshin
  • ArbreArbre Arbrelina Jolie Braavos

For the Week of:

Jan. 25, 2015 - Feb 1, 2015

Current Weight (lbs):

Where I started (lbs):

WEEKLY GOALS:

Try to eat a little healthier. I am taking it step by step, small pieces at a time instead of a huge change that I won't stick with.

HIGHLIGHTS OF LAST WEEK:

I only had mac once. I only had dessert once, at an OES meeting, and it was only a few cookies instead of all of the cookies. Also, we ordered Nutrisystem today. It's cheating, but I don't care.

LOWLIGHTS OF THE WEEK:

I'm still staying up late and sleeping in. I need to get on a real sleeping schedule to get onto a real eating schedule.

I haven't gained any weight. I'm losing slowly, but still losing, so that's good enough for me.
    AldricKendriAryanneMarienaNolaEmelleEzalorIshinColette
  • Oh my god, the cooking instead of ordering out/going to get food thing kills me. I've been learning more recipes lately, and I do absolutely love cooking, but being a full time college student plus working 3 jobs leaves very little time. Usually I've only got an hour here or there to spare, so it's a lot faster to swing by McDonald's on the way home from one of the jobs or something.

Buuut, I'll echo you on the fruit instead of sweets thing. I was brought up eating all kinds of fruit, and I do love them, but getting to school meant watching what I spend, and fruit is expensive when I'm planning my grocery lists.

My solution was to suck it up, spend less on other things, and go HAM on the fruit. I bought a big container of protein powder, and for meals when I'm too busy I'll toss some ice cubes, a yogurt, and a few clementines or apples, and a few scoops of protein into the blender and have a delicious, ready-to-go milkshake/smoothie/whateveryouwanttocallit as a meal replacement. Stuff fills you up so quick.
    Feelings, sensations that you thought were dead. No squealin' remember, that it's all in your head.
    ColetteAryanneNolaEmelle
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    I bought some pomegranates. They are fun to eat and can be split into many servings. A single one lasts like 4 days for dessert for me. At 2.50 a pop that's a pretty good deal imo.
    AryanneIshin
  • SerriceSerrice the Black Fox
    4 days? I feel like a little piggy now >_> (we have a pomegranate tree in the backyard, so occasionally we just get LOTS OF POMEGRANATES)

IshinAryanne
  • @moirean I have found buying large bags of frozen raspberries and blueberries is a great, low-calorie and cheap way to get delicious fruity goodness. For my low-carb, high-fat purposes, I warm them up in the microwave for 30-60 seconds and put them with whipped cream for a super-delicious dessert!

The other pluses of frozen fruit: doesn't go bad if uneaten for awhile after opening (which happens often for me), and frozen produce is often richer in nutrients because they are picked when ripe and frozen immediately, versus fresh produce which is generally picked under-ripe so that it will ripen during shipment.

MoireanEmelle
    And smoothies

IshinColette
  • I live in Amish country, so I've always just stuck to buying my fruit from produce stands and farmers' markets and only sticking to what's in season... but that's genius.

I don't know if I'm spoiled or sheltered, but I've quite honestly never once thought buying frozen fruit was a thing. Will definitely be checking out the frozen section in a bit more detail when I go grocery shopping this weekend.
    Aryanne
  • If you buy the frozen stuff on sale or from like, cost-co, it can be pretty damn cheap.

Also throw some spinach in that smoothie! I do a ratio of 3 cups fruit (or 1 banana, 2 cups fruit) and 3 cups spinach and I cannot taste it at all. Gives me like 2-3 smoothies, I just keep the extra in the fridge for the next day. Spinach also freezes well if you're just going to throw it into a smoothie. (As a note!)
    Emelle
  • IshinIshin Retired Lurker Virginia
    edited January 2015
    Eating a lean protein will help you stay 'full' for longer, too. So you can eat multiple smaller meals and not have to gorge yourself - unless you're like I am. My stomach, even at 31 years old, is like a blast furnace T_T

Edit: As in, I eat, and 30 minutes to an hour later it's all "FEED ME, SEYMOUR." again.
    Tell me and I forget, teach me and
    I remember, involve me and I
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
    RiluoAryanneEmelle
  • EzalorEzalor Emperor D'baen Canada
    If you ever need a quick healthy fill-me-up I've found peas and carrots do wonders. Very cheap to buy a big bag of frozen ones and then just fry em up (don't even need oil). They're super filling and very low in calories. I rather enjoy the taste too but they might not be the most satisfying thing, it kills your hunger real fast though.
    IshinColetteAryanne
  • RiluoRiluo The Doctor
    edited January 2015
    I might join in also. I started a diet about 8.5 weeks ago I was:

STARTING WEIGHT
    265lbs (120kg)

CURRENT WEIGHT
    213.235lbs (97kg)

WHERE I AIM TO BE
    185lbs (84kg)

WEEKLY GOALS:
    Find a way to exercise for 30mins everyday instead of 2 hours a week.

Abhorash says, "Ve'kahi has proved that even bastards can earn their place."

IshinColetteMarienaAldricAryanneAsaraiiNola
    Welcome, @Riluo! Holy balls man, you lost 57 pounds in about two months? That is very impressive, but please be careful!

Colette
  • Men drop weight fast, lucky bastards! Anyway, welcome @Riluo! :3
    AryanneMariena
  • I need to get on Riluo's level here, dayum.
    Colette
  • I was dating a guy a few years ago who started working out with me when we got together. He lost close to 20 pounds in 3 weeks from stopping drinking and going to the gym 6 days a week.

We didn't last. CLEARLY. (Jk, that isn't why) but yeah, girls have to work for it a lot harder. FEEL THE PAIN!
    Colette
  • edited January 2015
    YAY! Welcome to the fold, @riluo! Out of curiosity, what dietary changes have you made that've helped your drop?

I hadn't ever thought about buying frozen fruit until recently, either. Some fruit doesn't freeze well, so you're just stuck with fresh, but berries work excellent and they're the primary fruit my diet permits/encourages(aside from avocado).

I have found my keto diet to be excellent at craving-curbing. I used to be a super-hungry person. When I got home from work, I was FEED ME, FEED ME NAOOOW! Since my diet is so fat-full now, and fat processes slow, I stay full a long time and sometimes I find that I eat more out of habit than out of hunger.

Since snacking is definitely a problematic dietary habit (unless you're just addicted to celery sticks), I am now working on replacing bored-eating and snacking habits with useful and other interesting/entertaining things. This is proving challenging.

Jan. 27, 2015 - Feb. 3, 2015

Current Weight (lbs): Maybe 175?
    Where I started (lbs): 191
    Where I want to be (lbs): 150

HIGHLIGHTS OF LAST WEEK:
    Finally got my ass into some exercising gear. I am starting small to both build up habit and time-management. Oh god, so sore. So very, very sore. So out of shape, it's shameful O.O. I found a handy resource for at-home working out videos including an "oh my god, I'm sore" video
    Also, boyfriend and I have done a particularly good job of being mutually supportive of our health goals in the last week, I think.

LOWLIGHTS OF THE WEEK:
    I definitely ate far more carbs that I should have last week, and also ate-out more than I should have, which hurts both my pocket-book and my waistline. Though, to be fair, one of those instances was my little brother's 16th birthday, so the money thing didn't feel so bad since it was mostly a gift to him.

WEEKLY GOALS:
    Continue exercising >10 minutes 5:7 days (or all 7, depending).
    Eat breakfast every day.
    Only have a dessert a max of 2 days of the week.

Ishin
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    AGGRESSIVELY TRY TO SHARE RECIPES WITH @ARYANNE ON SKYPE
    AryanneIshin
  • RiluoRiluo The Doctor
    edited January 2015
    Thank you everyone, sadly it has slowed down a lot, I lost 40lbs in 5 weeks, then it was about 10 over the next two and the rest has just trickles away.

In terms of what I changed, I started walking a lot at work rather than siting at my desk so that is about 20mins a day of walking from place to place in a 8 hour shift. I also removed biscuits (cookies), no soft drinks, no pre-packaged meals, fast food or anything that I can not cook. Other things I have added is what @Aryanne mentioned such as frozen blueberry's, raspberry's, strawberry's into my daily diet in the form of smoothies. I will have half a cup with half a cup of skimmed milk each day. I slowly added more protein into my diet and lowered carbs.

Exercise wise I do not do weights as I am naturally strong with good mass, instead I do 10 min bursts of cardo on my bike followed by 60 secs of riding slowly, then 10mins again. Luckily I live near some nice hills so the 10mins is generally uphill and the 60secs is down hill. The reason I do this type of workout is due to the fact humans evolved to be short distance runners to hunt and so our genetic make up is better at using energy in this manner. In fact we have not changed much in the last 10,000 years in this regard.

Other things include trying to get to bed earlier in a darkroom with no electronics to ensure I get a "deeper" sleep without distractions. This is great as it ensures the body can enter a true sleep and repair, in addition I ensure the room is cold as I can handle as the human body will burn energy by the bucket load to maintain its core temperature.

Combined it equals a lot of good old science and bitching to the kids that they best hide their junk food or I shall devour it.

AsaraiiAryanneIshinMarienaColetteEmelle
  • RiluoRiluo The Doctor
    edited January 2015
    double