June Promo: Artifact Pieces and Relics

MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
ANNOUNCE NEWS #2277
Date: 6/3/2014 at 12:08
To : Everyone
Subj: June promotion

For June, we have a brand new promotion for you: Artifact pieces. For every 100 credits you purchase, you'll receive two artifact pieces, and you'll receive an extra one piece for every 500 credits purchased. These artifact pieces, once you have assembled enough, can be combined into a full artifact.

The following artifacts have pieces that will be generated for them, and will require between 2 and 5 pieces depending on the artifact.
Venom rag
Transportation token
Hood of Elusion
Atavian wings
Amulet of the Underrealms
Celestine Ring of Vigour
Icon of Divinity
Girdle of Fortitude
Gauntlets of Might
Sash of Intellect
Boots of Dexterity
Rune of Transformation
Artifact packs
Artifact weaponbelt
Keyrings
Artifact vials
Double XP Chalice

The higher valued artifacts are more rare than the lower valued ones. If you don't want an artifact piece, you can either instantly trade it in for 5cr, or reroll it. When you reroll, you have a 50% chance of replacing the piece with a new one, and a 50% chance of it instantly being consumed for 5cr. You can only reroll a piece once.

We are using a new system to handle these pieces: The relic system. What a 'relic' is will become a lot more ambiguous in the future, but our eventual goal is for you to be able to obtain relic pieces in a variety of different methods. These pieces can then be assembled into a relic, which could be a permanent artifact, a consumable item, or some sort of temporary item with varying effects.

For now, the system will purely be supporting this promotion. You can read over HELP RELICS for more information, as well as the various syntaxes involved.

Penned by my hand on the 4th of Midsummer, in the year 421 MA.

---------------------------------

23.3.5 Relics

Relics are powerful items that can be created by assembling all the required parts. A relic can be anything from a permanent artifact, to a temporary item that provides from sort of benefit.

SYNTAX
------

RELIC PIECES
Will list all the relic pieces you own, what they assemble into, and how many pieces you need/are missing.

RELIC ASSEMBLE
Will assemble the relic. Use the ID specified under the 'relic pieces' command.

RELIC REROLL
Reroll a relic piece, giving it a 50% chance to be turned into a new piece, or a 50% chance to be turned into 5cr. Can only be rerolled once, and can only be done to certain pieces. You can only do this for pieces which you were the original owner of.

RELIC TRADEIN
Trade in a relic piece instantly for 5cr. Can only be done to certain pieces. You can only do this for pieces which you were the original owner of.

--------------------------------

Comments

• MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    Now - questions:

- Are the 500 credits cumulative for this month's purchases, or is it just in one purchase?

- Are relics bound to you or can you trade/sell them to others?

- Will there be a way using credits or gold to obtain relics?

- Will relic pieces be available through other methods (wheel of fates, cryptic chests, etc)?

- Can I have a pony?
    Jensen
  • Can we get a list of how many pieces each artifact requires?
    JensenMoirean
  • OleisOleis Producer Emeritus Administrator, Immortal
    Moirean said:

Now - questions:

- Are the 500 credits cumulative for this month's purchases, or is it just in one purchase?

- Are relics bound to you or can you trade/sell them to others?

- Will there be a way using credits or gold to obtain relics?

- Will relic pieces be available through other methods (wheel of fates, cryptic chests, etc)?

- Can I have a pony?

- Per-purchase.
    - They should be sell/tradeable. I don't think it's built-in mechanically right now, but that's a key part of this.
    - No, probably not. Unless you give them to other players.
    - Expect relic pieces to pop in future promotions, yeah. We reserve the right to retire certain relics for a while, of course.
    - Only if I get one first.
    Dato said:

Can we get a list of how many pieces each artifact requires?

Getting one piece will show you how many you need to complete the relic. I'll ask @razmael about a full list.
    You say to Slyphe, "You're so freaking smart."
    [---]
    "^," Slyphe agrees with you.
    DamonicusStathanJensenMoirean
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    It would be cool if the existing chest set pieces were rolled into the relic system. I idea'd a while back about probing showing you what you need to complete the set, but this sounds even better and more versatile.

Any chance we can get a relic market to facilitate sales, akin to what they put in for Imperian a few months ago? I guess AH works too, but that's gold-only. Alternative idea is let us price stuff on the AH for credits.
  • OleisOleis Producer Emeritus Administrator, Immortal
    Yeah, we're going to expand AH in lieu of a separate mechanism.
    You say to Slyphe, "You're so freaking smart."
    [---]
    "^," Slyphe agrees with you.
    StathanAreka
  • StathanStathan Hot springs
    This slightly improves the changes of getting a venom rag, even if I can't afford credits. I approve!
    Demarcus
  • edited June 2014
    I started with this, after 1k cr
    Relic pieces
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ID: doublexp - a silver chalice
    11 / 5 : a fragment of a broken chalice
    ID: pack - a wyrmskin pack (Artifact: artifact_pack)
    4 / 7 : a fire wyrm hide
    ID: artivial - a ruby vial (Artifact: artifact_vial)
    17 / 5 : a fragment of a broken vial
    ID: weaponbelt - a Selunic weaponbelt (Artifact: weaponbelt)
    3 / 7 : scraps of a damaged weaponbelt
    ID: dex - boots of dexterity (Artifact: dexterity 1)
    2 / 7 : damaged leather boots
    ID: transformation - a rune of transformation (Artifact: transformation)
    2 / 7 : a piece of a shattered rune
    ID: keyring - a brass keyring (Artifact: keyring)
    10 / 6 : a chunk of a snapped keyring
    ID: int - a silk sash (Artifact: intelligence 1)
    1 / 7 : a scrap of silk sash
    After rerolling/trading anything that didn't interest me, I got:
    Relic pieces
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ID: dex - boots of dexterity (Artifact: dexterity 1)
    2 / 7 : damaged leather boots
    ID: int - a silk sash (Artifact: intelligence 1)
    1 / 7 : a scrap of silk sash

Bound Credits : 234
    I'm only holding onto the dex/int pieces as trade for the venom rag/vigor I want, though 59cr isn't half bad if I can't get those pieces.

I don't know if the chance to get a better piece is higher or lower depending on the piece type you're rerolling, but I'm not sure if the announce post chance (50% for new piece) is correct. The number of pieces needed to get even decent stuff is also higher than 5.

I'll probably buy more by the end of the month, but I'm withholding that judgement until I can figure how willing other players are to trade for what I want.

Edit:

In essence, this promotion is better than +% moar credets with purrchase omg. It's got flavor that agrees with me.
    I mean, you know, an amount.

Demarcus
  • I know I am looking to trade for the str arti and a few more of the transportation rune pieces.

• DemarcusDemarcus Black Flagon Inn
    @Reux‌

ZOMG. You did it. You win. I have been dying to see what any of this looks like, and you did it. I highly approve. Thank you.

So in essence you bought 1k credits, got a bunch of pieces that you almost entirely rerolled/turned in. Not a single venom rag piece. Sounds like those pieces will fetch a preeeemium.

I love the concept of this promotion. I really do. I don't know about the actual artifacts I can obtain. Time will tell if I actually buy something. Hah! The auction hause update will help that, I think.
  • Well, by my understanding of it:

1. Unless you need the credits urgently, you should hold off on trading in the pieces. This is because even though in theory you are supposed to get the trade-in value of the full artifact divided by no. of pieces, there is still a rounding loss.

2. The price of a piece is bounded by min ( full artifact price * 2 / 3 / no. of pieces) and max ( full artifact price / no. of pieces). However, you would only be buying and selling within this range if you are looking to complete it to keep it (not trade-in). If instead you already have the artifact, then you should be buying it at the price you get if you were to trade-in, and selling it anywhere within the above bounds.

So, if anyone has scraps of:
    1. weaponbelt
    2. vials
    3. keyrings
    4. rune of transformation
    5. amulet of underrealms

PLEASE contact me in-game, rather than trade-in the relic piece :p

Otherwise, if you're looking to complete any one of those, do let me know too!
    Demarcus
  • RiluoRiluo The Doctor
    sadly the pieces are pretty much chalice.. chalice, vial (random thing) chalice repeat

Abhorash says, "Ve'kahi has proved that even bastards can earn their place."

Demarcus
  • IshinIshin Retired Lurker Virginia
    Man I could have used this a few months ago when I actually had money to spend. :/ As it is, my grant-funded job ends at the end of this month, soooo...meh.
    Tell me and I forget, teach me and
    I remember, involve me and I
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
  • My take is, not a bad promo if I were buying credits anyway, but to buy to get a specific artifact is pretty bad value.

I'd love a venom rag but in the end it only saves a bit of time/gold stocking the vials - it isn't really worth THAT much.

Over time though, it'd be worth saving pieces for.
    DemarcusLimIshinAliceMoirean