I know it's been said that this won't be happening, but hear me out and consider reconsidering? With the HUGE range of crafting options we have, being able to toss a shop into a house lets us basically create really creative business options and RP hotspots - and gives house owners incentive to do it, and update/rotate stock, etc, instead of just sinking credits in for a bar that we see nothing back from. Make this something cities or orgs can buy as well, add in the fact that we can edit org buildings, and you have given us some self-sustaining RP hooks that are easy for players to create and edit.
Shops are a limited commodity and it's hard to really customize around them. Given how limited the space is, it basically costs us income to stock RP-ish stuff, so most of us are going to just stock what sells best. Letting us use shops+houses to get more unique and fun and customized craftings out there would make for some really fun areas to stumble across while travelling around. Look at the type of response we've seen from The Lover's Fling - people definitely like RP hotspots and will congregate in fun places, as these help inspire RP. Imagine a side street in Delos filled with different player restaurants! Fun places to go, and I bet you'd see cool stuff like restaurant row nights.
House upgrades like mobs and room features really would let us take the concept and make it really indepth and fun. Some examples of things we could make with these:
- Cafes, restaurants, fine dining, desert parlors, etc
- Wineries or breweries, complete with cool rooms like a vineyard (totally Faerah's idea and it's great)
- Theaters selling things like costumes or concessions
- Brawling pits or coliseums selling concessions
- Boutique clothing shops/sweatshops full of Imps
- Toy workshops. Firework displays!
- Creepy curio shops/Knockturn Alley-esque shady merchants
- Music halls with instrument shops
- Dance studios
- Gambling halls
- Greenhouses and gardens selling floristry arrangements
- Art galleries