Pots of Gold

AlexinaAlexina the Haunted Soul
ANNOUNCE NEWS #2232
Date: 3/1/2014 at 1:59
To  : Everyone
Subj: March promotion

During the month of March, every 100 credits purchased will grant you a pot of gold!

Every time you put 100 to 10000 gold into the pot, it will eat the gold, completely consuming it. The pot of gold will then reward you with one of the following (in some cases, temporary) boons:
 * Returning triple the gold you put in back to you.
 * +1 to all stats
 * Increased chance to land critical hits
 * Always land a critical hit
 * Double essence offered to Gods
 * Your name will be randomly coloured on the who list
 * NPCs will drop more gold on death
 * Instant experience - multiplied by the amount of gold you put in
 * Double experience bonus
 * Increased movement speed
 * Lessons

Putting in large amounts of gold has the chance of the pot giving you multiple rewards at once, however putting in just 100 gold will always reward you with something. This process can be done up to ten times per pot, after which it will disappear. Getting a boon that you are already under the effects of will increase the duration of the boon, but by a little less each time.

Please feel free to share your results in this thread as it might allow people a chance to determine whether or not they should put a little or a lot of gold in their pots.

On a completely separate note, it seems to be a trend with luck-based/gambling promotions from IRE recently. Last October, we had wakmut races, then December and January were the chests, February was the races again, and March is the pots of gold.

Comments

• RiluoRiluo The Doctor
    edited March 2014

A lot of us from Loch were speaking at length about promotions of late and how we do not enjoy them all that much, which is sad really as IRE is a great company. However, this draw to spend is limited when the promotions are all the same type and not considered "new".  Indeed, as a few people stated in a web today perhaps more artefact token promotions base on how much credits you buy 10-20-40% off.

Either way, I am sure people will still buy a few credits no matter and there is always next months promotion right!

Abhorash says, "Ve'kahi has proved that even bastards can earn their place."

• edited March 2014
    Riluo said:

Either way, I am sure people will still buy a few credits no matter and there is always next months promotion!

Yeah, I'm waiting to buy credits until they bring back giftbags. Man, I really liked giftbags. Totally giftbags was the best promotion. Nothing better than giftbags. Man giftbags were great. So giftbags. Much giftbags. Wow, giftbags. Very giftbags. Giftbags. Giftbags, Bring back giftbags. 
    DourifXenia
  • JensenJensen Corruption's Butcher
    Looks good for someone trying to reach endgame. Lackluster for me being without a divine, no huge need for xp, and I spent enough creds to remove me from the who list as it is
    Dourif
  • I've already reached endgame, I still want those boons. Hopefully I get $$ for my birthday to do so for once, as I'm already needing to get a shower curtain, dishtowels, and a washer and dryer. Still. I need something fun every once in awhile. :-)

Do we get red balloons, horseshoes, and rainbows?

imageimage "Little pig, little pig, let me in, let me in. You look tasty and smell like bacon." *LICKLICKLICK*
  • EzalorEzalor Emperor D'baen Canada
    Haha Riluo, I think you took my "complaining" too seriously. I just really want an artifact auction because all my gold is burning a hole in my pocket.
  • AlexinaAlexina the Haunted Soul
    You put 10000 gold sovereigns in a pot of gold.
    The pot gobbles your gold hungrily, rewarding you with: Double experience.
    You have gained the goldpot_double_xp defence.
    The pot gobbles your gold hungrily, rewarding you with: Double essence.
    You have gained the goldpot_double_essence defence.
    The pot gobbles your gold hungrily, rewarding you with: Increased critical hit chance.
    You have gained the goldpot_crit defence.
    The pot gobbles your gold hungrily, rewarding you with: Increased critical hit chance.
    The pot gobbles your gold hungrily, rewarding you with: Increased movement speed.
    You have gained the goldpot_movement defence.

You are gaining double experience. (1 hours, 58 minutes)
    You will offer double essence amounts. (2 hours, 58 minutes)
    You have an increased chance of critical blows. (7 hours, 58 minutes)
    Your movement speed is increased. (2 hours, 58 minutes)

Also, they decay.
  • VeovisVeovis Florida
    Not really the greatest promotion this month. Artifact tokens would've been great.
    The pot gobbles your gold hungrily, rewarding you with: Increased stats.
    You have gained the goldpot_stats defence.

The pot gobbles your gold hungrily, rewarding you with: Increased gold drops.
    You have gained the goldpot_drops defence.
    The pot gobbles your gold hungrily, rewarding you with: Instant experience.
    Experience Gained: 20625 (Special) [total: 28553837]
    The pot gobbles your gold hungrily, rewarding you with: Lessons.

Experience Gained: 20625 (Special) [total: 28574462]

The pot gobbles your gold hungrily, rewarding you with: Increased movement speed.

Experience Gained: 20625 (Special) [total: 28595087]

The pot gobbles your gold hungrily, rewarding you with: Always critical hit.
    You have gained the goldpot_always_crit defence.
    The last of its magic having expired, a pot of gold crumbles to dust in your hands.

• A lesson sale would have been a lot better than this.
    XiuhcoatlFerrik
  • ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    What is the decay time on them, Alex? 
    Filled to the brim with a myriad of gleaming sovereigns, it could certainly be said that this pot would be worth its weight in gold. Oddly enough; however, no amount of manipulation, twisting, or turning seems to effectively dislodge the coins from the greedy vessel, leaving its glamorous contents eternally trapped therein. Every so often the pot quivers and shakes before releasing a bright, ray-like series of mists from its depths.
    It has 60 months of usefulness left.
    It has 10 uses left.
    It weighs about 6 pound(s).
    A pot of gold is holding:
    Nothing.
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    I was like OMG THIS THIS LOOKS GREAT, and then I saw that the pots only have 10 uses, heh.
    KatsziaXiuhcoatl
  • ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    Would have been cool if they were like the celesmas stockings and could be used once a year, I love my celesmas stocking.
    AryanneRiluoKatsziaDemarcus
  • VeovisVeovis Florida
    Eh. This promotion is actually making it difficult to buy credits. I want to grab a caves amulet and maybe a wand of reflection, but an eggnog reskin just isn't all that tempting.
  • DaingeanDaingean Xanhaal, probably.
    edited March 2014
    Promo's are supposed to encourage credit sales, no?

RNG based rewards for doing so are -extremely- unappealing to me. I would expect they're unappealing to many with a limited budget. At least with chests/gift bags, there was a chance that reward would outweigh risk - though, with the addition of a lot of junk, that chance reduced signifigantly.

I agree with Veovis, the re-skinned eggnog is a disappointment. I also agree with Taelin, and I think I will hold onto my cash for a lesson sale. Whatever credits I do want / will buy can wait for a promotion that actually appeals. If I -am- going to throw gold at the RNG Gods, I'll do it by buying cryptic chests from Qeddwyn.

Edit - That's not to say I'm not grateful that the promotions exist. I remember when they didn't, and I bought credits gladly then as I would now. But I believe IRE sort of set themselves up with this - if you're going to offer incentives to purchase credits, then many players - investors - will wait until said incentive appeals.
    Proudly fighting against Greytolia since the [approximately] 3/1/2010 at 18:00.
    MinaraelKatszia
  • EleanorEleanor FOR SCIENCE
    Just wanna point out, to the people going "I wanted a different promo" that poor old Raz doesn't pick these things, they get beamed down from the IRE mothership.

DraimanPiperJaslineDaskalosFerrikDemarcus
  • It's not quite the same as say... yelling at your Comcast rep about corporate decisions. He can at least go, "Hey, Jeremy? This promo is not super popular."
    imageimage
  • VeovisVeovis Florida
    edited March 2014
    Eh. The promotions are there to encourage the player to take the plunge and buy the credits. The whole idea is that I say "Well, I have an entertainment budget and I'll spend it on this, because SHINY." If they're not doing that, we should speak up and say we'd like something different.

We've had three straight months of RNG-based promos. The chests were nice, because I usually got enough bound credits or cheap artifacts to at least equal the cash value of the chest. During the chest promo I bought something like 1300-1400 credits plus er maybe $60+ in chests. 

Vakmut racing was less of an enjoyable promotion, but I still got some bonus credits, which was nice.

This? I went from thinking I'd buy at least another 1000 credits this month to thinking I'd rather not.
    RiluoMinarael
  • CarivahCarivah Tremble, little lionfish
    Gambling is gambling, but there isn't anything on the list I'd consider a true loss. Maybe some might not be worth the money I put in, but all of them are a thing I'd want in any case. It sounds neat, I'll probably take advantage of it.
  • I'm not a huge fan of the promos lately either. Gambling isn't my thing. Never has been, never will be. I've been -hoping- beyond all hope there would be a lesson sale soon, since there hasn't been one in forever. I know lesson sales aren't really popular to the Omnitrans folk, but having them once in a while for people who aren't (or for people who decide to make alts, since noooooobody in Aetolia/IRE ever does that) is highly invaluable.

Either way you swing it, I'm pretty sure feedback (good and bad) is valuable. The higher ups hearing a string of "Hey, this promotion just doesn't do it for me" versus "Wow! This is awesome! Do it more please." gets heard one way or another.
    Riluo
  • VeovisVeovis Florida
    Katszia said:
     I know lesson sales aren't really popular to the Omnitrans folk, but having them once in a while for people who aren't (or for people who decide to make alts, since noooooobody in Aetolia/IRE ever does that) is highly invaluable.

There are at least two classes that I would like to tri-trans in the nearish future, plus most of my minis are around Virt/Fabled. I'd buy 10,000+ lessons in a heartbeat if there was a sale. :)

Katszia
    Just used another one:

H:9837 M:7761 E:33572 W:29118 B:94% XP:55% [c eb]put 10000 gold in pot
    H:9837 M:7761 E:33620 W:29143 B:94% XP:55% [c eb]
    (Web): Zeydd says, "Little claws..awww."
    H:9837 M:7761 E:33668 W:29168 B:94% XP:55% [c eb]put 10000 gold in pot
    Experience Gained: 29150 (Special) [total: 39973016]
    The pot gobbles your gold hungrily, rewarding you with: Tripled investment.
    H:9837 M:7761 E:33668 W:29168 B:94% XP:56% [c eb]
    The rush of energy fades.
    H:9837 M:7761 E:33668 W:29168 B:94% XP:56% [c eb]put 10000 gold in pot
    H:9837 M:7761 E:33716 W:29193 B:94% XP:56% [c eb]put 10000 gold in pot
    H:9837 M:7761 E:33716 W:29193 B:94% XP:56% [c eb]put 10000 gold in pot
    H:9837 M:7761 E:33716 W:29178 B:94% XP:56% [c eb]put 10000 gold in pot
    H:9837 M:7761 E:33764 W:29218 B:94% XP:56% [c eb]put 10000 gold in pot
    Experience Gained: 29150 (Special) [total: 40002166]
    H:9837 M:7761 E:33764 W:29203 B:94% XP:56% [c eb]put 10000 gold in pot
    H:9837 M:7761 E:33812 W:29243 B:94% XP:56% [c eb]put 10000 gold in pot
    Experience Gained: 29150 (Special) [total: 40031316]
    H:9837 M:7761 E:33812 W:29228 B:94% XP:56% [c eb]
    (Web): Lyl says, "Tiny."
    H:9837 M:7761 E:33860 W:29268 B:94% XP:56% [c eb]put 10000 gold in pot
    Experience Gained: 29150 (Special) [total: 40060466]
    The last of its magic having expired, a pot of gold crumbles to dust in your hands.
  • OleisOleis Producer Emeritus Administrator, Immortal
    While posters above me are correct that we cannot control the promotions (and this sort of purchase-oriented promotion is by and large the most popular in IRE corporate culture) ,this sort of feedback lets us back up our inclinations with some player response, so a certain amount is indeed helpful. Keep in mind the flip side of an IRE-wide promotion, too: Achaea's version of Vakmut racing was phenomenally successful both times. The cryptic chest changes that got mixed reviews here were an MkO brainstorm that made their players go absolutely bananas. 

It's our job to campaign for things that you like and find benefit in, and we absolutely do that. Lesson sales especially are a frequent topic of conversation. But IRE has chosen to stay in the direction of applying what works best for the majority to all five games and we have to go along with that.
    You say to Slyphe, "You're so freaking smart."
    [---]
    "^," Slyphe agrees with you.
  • AarbrokAarbrok Breaking things...For Science San Diego, CA
    The Vakmut races are cool because of potential payouts....

TBH I am a fan of the daily quests that give special items, given the item is useful.  
    The Pots of Gold are something you pay for, to then pay for something to potentially get more of something, its kinda meh
    Piper
  • @Alexina: As someone who appears to be getting quite the use out of them, what do you think? Do you think they're worth it, do you like them, do you wish they'd be different?

-----------------------------------------------------------------

(The Front Line): Daskalos says, "<-- artifacts."

edited March 2014
    Eh. I've put 10,000 gold into most of them so far, which turns out to be kind of expensive. I did one with only 4,000 or so per use, but the number buffs was significant lower. Essentially, the buffs are great if you're trying to do -a lot- of bashing. They also don't tick down while you're offline, which is kind of neat. I'm using chalice + mint chocolate + pot of gold and I'm getting more than 10,000 experience per Xorani, which is definitely neat. The golddrops buff makes it possible to recuperate some of the losses even if you put a lot of gold into the pot.

That said, the pots are so, so random. There were times when I put 10,000 gold into one and only got one buff. One time, I put 10,000 gold inside the pot and got three +speed buffs (which is completely worthless). The buffs do not last very long at all if you're just getting one instance of them (think it was like a few hours for the double experience and thirty minutes for always critical strikes), meaning you have to put a lot of gold into the pot for it to actually generate the benefits you want.

Higher crit chance, always getting critical strikes, and higher stats would all be immensely useful in other events, such as Great Hunts. Last year's valentine promotion with the chocolate boxes were way, way better. You also got temporary buffs from those but you knew how long they lasted and you knew which buffs you were getting. I guess I'm just not fond of the random part of the promotion. And like some pointed out, you pay money to get credits, then you pay tons of gold to benefit from the items you received as part of a promotion (I've used more than half a million so far).

EDIT:
    It looks like I was mistaken. The buffs do expire while you're not logged on.
  • VeovisVeovis Florida
    Oleis said:
    While posters above me are correct that we cannot control the promotions (and this sort of purchase-oriented promotion is by and large the most popular in IRE corporate culture) ,

Personally I don't mind the purchase-oriented promotion. We've done a lot of RNG-based promos in these last months, but they all had something that I wanted. I got globes and pieces for the Hunter's Knife out of the chests (plus bound credits and gold). I got a decent number of bonus credits from the races. Maybe for someone sub-100 these pot bonuses would be a bigger incentive.

So far, I've taken the credit card out of my wallet three times and then decided the promotion isn't worth the usual 1k-ish I've been purchasing the last couple of months. Maybe other IRE games players go bananas over this kind of thing and it will mean Jeremy can max out his IRA contributions this year, but man I'd really like something extra to make me feel better about buying credits this month.

• JensenJensen Corruption's Butcher
    There any possibility of having loooong respawn time instances at volcano difficulty that would generate 1 pot of gold? That to me would be fun and worth it
  • @oleis
    I guess it depends on who the promo is targeted at as well - not to mention how many of that sort of player each mud happens to have at the time.

For whatever reason, I find most of the chest items to be stuff I don't want (except for this starchart. Yum). The races, well, potentially, depending on the reward - but only if I was starting a new main character and actually wanting to buy lots of credits.

There is something I want to spend some credits on, and because I'm on more of a budget now than I was 2 years ago, I've been waiting for some kind of sale or something that makes it seem better value. I don't want stuff to help me bash, and I'm not fussed by extra little items like the chest pieces. I want a particular <something-that-costs-credits> (whether that is an artifact, a new multiclass or even an alt is irrelevant), and I'm waiting for some kind of promotion that makes me feel like it is better value.

I'm saying this because - I doubt I'm the only person out there that feels that way. Sometimes, people just want to buy the thing they want, at a bit of a discount.

So that's my feedback for Jeremy - please don't give up on the classic 'sale' type promotions.
    KatsziaDaskalos