The Prodigal Son

BenedictoBenedicto Tentacles Errywhere!
edited February 2014 in Roleplay Logs
So this is a continuation of the a plot that has been going on for aaaaaaaaages involving Moi and Bene's son who was believed dead and the impact this had on their relationship. The last episode of this story can be seen here.

Bene's thoughts are in blue and italics (this was the first time I tried to use thinks, so please be gentle with my "thinking virginity!"

Bene gets a tell from a fellow named "Maelo Evergva" suggesting that he visit him on the new ship that serves as a temporary haven for Slyphes followers after the corruption of the Slyphian Grotto. He addresses Bene as "Father."

You have emoted: Benedicto narrows his pearl-white eyes at Maelo Evergva as he rides in atop his war turtle. "I am having tremendous difficulty both believing and coming to terms with the events of the last month. Now I am led to believe that -you- are my son." He states flatly by way of greeting.

Maelo Evergva's lips lift into a broad smile the very moment you enter, disbelief seeming to show itself all over his face in no subtle way whatsoever. "I am," is all he seems capable of responding, words quite obviously eluding him for the moment.

You have emoted: Benedicto remains stationary upon his perch. His narrowed eyes seem to radiate consternation as he gazes down at Maelo Evergva. "Where have you been?" He whispers hoarsely, emotion choking him.

It can't possibly be him.

I last saw him as a baby in Sibatti's arms. How could I have seen nothing of my son during the entirety of his life?

"I was sent out on a scouting trip," Maelo Evergva informs you, the smile upon his face seeming to slowly fade away to be replaced by a grim line. "I said my goodbyes to Kiyotan and Sibatti, then embarked upon our mission." A touch of fondness seems to lift the man's eyebrows at the mention of the two previous names before he releases an exhalation of breath. "We were ambushed on our trip. I urged the others to go, and stayed on my own to fight off our pursuers - and I lost."

Taking in another deep breath, then releasing it, Maelo Evergva says, "As I laid there, bleeding, He came to me. He offered me another chance, based on two conditions. The first of which being that when the time was right, I would come back and serve as His high priest. The second..."

Maelo Evergva pauses for a moment before contritely admitting, "I am not permitted to say, yet."

You have emoted: Remaining as still as if he had been carved from stone, Benedicto listens attentively to Maelo Evergva, a mingled expression of yearning and bitterness warring with his attempt to remain stoic. "And the in between time?" He demands with difficulty and a hint of anger.

Where has he been? Oh my son! Where have you been?!

Yet it might not be him. It can't be him. It can hardly be countenanced.

So long. So long! Where was I for him?!

"I was at sea," Maelo Evergva answers with a solemn nod. "He told me that to prepare to serve Him in the capacity He desired, I would need to become a master of that which I would serve." His hands spread outwards to indicate the ship you both stand upon as a small smile lifts his lips once more. "The Hydra."

The Hydra. At sea? Why did he not send word?!

Does his mother know?! Oh Gods...

"She does not know," Maelo Evergva answers quickly, eyebrows raising.

Hesitantly, Maelo Evergva says, "I... I do not know what. How. I don't know what her response will be."

You have emoted: Benedicto looks about, his gaze taking in the ship before his attention snaps back to Maelo Evergva. "How could you know that?!" He demands, his pearl-white gaze blazing with a mixture of emotions.

Has my Lord gifted him with Telepathy?

"I was told you spent a majority of your life as a Monk," Maelo Evergva responds with another exhalation of breath. "I thought that perhaps learning some of its ways would be a way I could honor you."

Dhar's balls! Moirean! She will want to see him. To take him. I will have to deal with her too.

Raising a finger, Maelo Evergva says, "I am much stronger now, father. If she wishes to take me, she will not do it without a fight. I serve a greater purpose."

You have emoted: Some of the rigidity leaves Benedicto's posture and his head dips. He lowers his gaze from Maelo Evergva as he sucks in a deep breath to steady himself. "This is so hard to believe." He almost groans, his words riddled with pain. "I cannot even put a name to what I'm feeling. I'm sorry." With a palpable effort he drags his eyes back up to Maelo Evergva. "I'm sorry. I must seem a disappointment."

How could I leave him? What sort of father could not know their son for so long? He must hate me...

"Hardly," Maelo Evergva responds, sincerely, his eyes alighting. "Father I can -feel- what you're feeling right now," he nearly stammers, hands reaching outwards as if to gesticulate his understanding somehow before he drops them. "I... a lot has happened."

How long have I kept this self-loathing for myself? My hatred for myself because the loss of him was my fault! Oh my son!

You have emoted: Benedicto slides heavily and gracelessly from the back of his war turtle to face Maelo Evergva. "I'm so sorry." He whispers in a cracked voice. "I should never have left you..." Guilt, pain and bitterness all resonate in his words as he looks brokenly upon Maelo Evergva.

How can he forgive me? What sort of a father can I call myself?

Maelo Evergva closes the gap between himself and you without hesitation, his form almost as tall as yours. His arms wrap tightly around you in an affectionate embrace and he takes in another deep breath, then releases it. "Father, I understand, it was as much my fault," he attempts to comfort, sincerity evident amidst his tone. "I love you very much - the past is the past, but the Lord -needs- us now."

You have emoted: Benedicto cannot restrain his emotions any longer. As a broken sob escapes him, he wraps his arms tightly around Maelo Evergva. "I'm so sorry!" He croaks, gripping Maelo Evergva closely to himself. He coughs, a loud bark of a noise, before he brings his scaled brow down to rest upon the muscled shoulder of his son. "I love you too, my son." A pause. "Maelo." 

You have emoted: Taking a few moments to steady himself, Benedicto steps backwards from the embrace, though he holds Maelo Evergva at arms length. "Look at you lad!" He declares as tears roll down his cheeks unabashedly. "You're a man for any father to be proud of!"

The pain this causes! The Gods know I don't deserve to be forgiven. But...could this be real? My son!

The smile broadening, Maelo Evergva says, "It was those that got me this far."

You have emoted: "I have to say lad, you look like a pirate!" Benedicto grins through his tears as he grips the shoulders of Maelo Evergva. He acknowledges his sons words with a slight nod. "I have to say, I am glad you found our Lord. That you have taken up his ways and devoted yourself to Him."

How could my Lord say nothing of my son to me? I am scared of accusing Him, but...why would..how could He keep my son a secret?!

Ah Gods, what a month!

"Look like one?" Maelo Evergva queries with a feigned, offended scoff. A hand reaches up to tilt his black leather cap downwards as his lips curl up at the corners into a grin. "My years at sea were not easy ones - one could very well say that I am one." A slender finger taps at the scimitar sheathed at his side before he acknowledges, "I've ah, well. I've inherited your ability to kill, when need be."

You have emoted: Benedicto's brow furrows suddenly with concern at those words. "That is not something I would have wished for you, son." He says with bitter sincerity. "My ability to kill." He sighs, "It was my transfiguration into our Lords Avatar that robbed us of the chance to know each other."

"That ability," Maelo Evergva pointedly notes. "Has saved my life and the life of my crew more times than I'm able to count." His brows crease, and for a moment it's as if he's searching your face for a deeper meaning to the reaction. "He has a reason behind everything He does, father," the man acknowledges after a few quiet moments with a nod. "A lesson I've most certainly learned by now, and one I am sure you have as well."

You have emoted: Benedicto gives a vague nod, his eyes dropping to deck beneath your feet. After a moment, he sucks in a breath and forces a smile onto his face as he lifts his head. "The main thing is that you are safe, and here. That I have you back." He replies with warmly and with genuine feeling. "That you will remain safe." His smile falters. "With the Grotto destroyed, here will be Corruptions next area of focus." His bitterness returns, both in his words and upon his features. His hands drop from the shoulders of Maelo Evergva and his fists curl into sudden fists. "I could not protect His Grotto."

"Nobody could protect it," Maelo Evergva bluntly retorts, his gaze narrowing just somewhat upon hearing your words. "She is strong - but we are stronger. In His words, the Grotto is just a location." His hands seem to settle upon the hilts of the scimitars by his sides as his lips push into a thin line. "He has a plan, father. If He was angry, we would know."

How can I consider myself worthy of being His Avatar when I cannot protect the Order or His hallowed ground? F*** Corruption. F*** them all! I'll tear every one of them to limb from limb and cast their corpses into the Ocean for the sharks to feast on!

You have emoted: "You are right." Benedicto replies neutrally, his fists trembling with restrained fury. "I know we are stronger. That is why it is such a bitter pill to swallow." A slow pulse begins in the muscle of his jaw.

Maelo Evergva lifts a hand to place it now on your shoulder, the touch intended to be pacifying in nature. "Father," he states, his head lowering somewhat as if to ensure his eyes are locked with your own. "This is not the end."

You have emoted: "Oh, I have no doubt of that son!" Benedicto retorts with sudden vehemence, his pearl-white eyes flashing with violence, though clearly it is not directed at Maelo Evergva. "They managed to profane the hallowed ground of the Maelstrom whilst I was absent! Until I've crushed whatever counts as life from their breathless bodies, it will not be finished!"

Maelo Evergva gives the shoulder he clasps another firm pat before dropping his hand to once more rest upon the hilt of his scimitar, a resolute nod ensuing. "You will not be alone in that endeavor," he acknowledges. "Many seek to get their vengeance, and I am sure it will be had." A single finger raises. "But, we must be sure that what is done does not stir up more trouble for Him."

/a flurry of gory and violent images flash through the mind of Benedicto. A visceral mixture of anger, rage, blood, smoke and death/

Firmly, Maelo Evergva says, "Relax."

You have emoted: Benedicto masters himself with obvious difficulty. A slightly stricken look replaces the expression of fury upon his features as he strives to relax. "I'm sorry." He mutters, "This has been a...trying month. The Grotto. Finding you." He sighs, a deep exhalation of breath that seems to relieve him somewhat. He struggles to summon a wry, yet strained grin for Maelo Evergva, "It has caused me to experience a veritable maelstrom of emotions that I have kept buried for nearly all of your life."

"I understand," Maelo Evergva states with another nod, his countenance remaining however free of any mirth as he makes the statement. "But He needs you level-headed. All of us need it." His lips push into a pensive purse as he regards your form before nothing, "Revenge is certainly doable, but it will be good to coordinate. Go into it in a smart manner, not a rushed one."

You have emoted: "I would normally claim that it is not a problem for me." Benedicto returns with a slight frown. "I just need a moment to adjust." Though he grunts and suddenly exclaims, "Do you not understand boy?!" A note of paternal frustration enters his voice. "I've found you again. This is something that I had given up on!" His face drops suddenly. "Oh gods...."

Moisenses....tingling....

Hoarsely and with a look of sheer panic, you say, "Your mother..."

This is the last thing I need to deal with right now! Just a few more minutes. Just let me have a few more minutes of peace with him!

"I underst-," Maelo Evergva begins, but is cut off as his eyes widen in alarm, hands curling into fists around the hilts of his scimitars. "I sensed it too," he notes, gaze snapping towards the west.

You have emoted: Benedicto tenses perceptibly, his head turning this way and that distractedly. "I don't think she knows..." He whispers to Maelo Evergva, all anger gone in the face of this new, dire threat.

Pleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease.

"She does now," Maelo Evergva murmurs as he continues sweeping the area with his gaze. "I told her I sensed her here," he almost offhandedly remarks, a pensive index finger tapping upon the scimitar's hilt as his gaze narrows in search of something unseen.

Dhar's balls! Oh Lord. Slyphe please give me strength.

You have emoted: Benedicto winces at Maelo Evergva. "Well. Nothing for it then son. We'll just have to deal with whatever brand of crazy your mother decides to bring with her." He says wearily and with sudden resignation. "This should certainly be interesting and I will no doubt receive -all- of the blame."

Maelo Evergva hardly seems to have the same reaction as you as he stands at the ready. "I would like to see her," he finally acknowledges with another slow nod. "Just once."

Enter the Moireanator

You have emoted: "I'm not denying you, or attempting to gainsay you son. Do not doubt that...ah Lords." Benedicto finishes suddenly as he spies Moirean.

"Son?" Moirean quietly echoes, hanging back behind the mast.

Maelo Evergva's eyes widen as he catches sight of Moirean. Disbelief seems to be the most predominant emotion splayed upon his face as he takes a slow step closer towards you. "Mother?" he queries in return, eyebrows raising.

Moirean looks away, unable to meet the man's gaze. "Once," she softly answers. "I...birthed a boy and gave him your name. That's all I can claim."

You have emoted: Benedicto remains respectfully silent, though he reaches a hand out towards the shoulder of Maelo Evergva to give it a reassuring squeeze.

Maelo Evergva opens his mouth as if to speak, then falls silent, the words having escaped his grasp. His gaze swivels from Moirean to you, then back to Moirean once more as he seems to do little more than stare for a few long moments.

You have emoted: "Moirean." Benedicto begins quietly, his pearl-white eyes following Moirean carefully, "This is Maelo. This is our son."

And heeeere comes the outburst. It's coming. I know it is!

"I... do not feel one coming," comes Maelo's voice within the back of your mind. "Not this time."

Moirean's head lifts at that. She slowly shakes her head. "You said he was dead," she says, accusation in her voice. "You told me...made me...I thought-" Her voice cracks here and she takes a step towards you, eyes narrowing as she raises her hand as if to claw at you. "You said he was DEAD!"

Annnd there it is.

You have emoted: Benedicto's eyes flit to Maelo Evergva for a moment, a questioning look upon his features. He abruptly turns back to face Moirean's sudden outburst. "Stay calm woman!" He snaps in irritation, his free hand rising to ward himself from any potential violence.

"...I was wrong." comes Maelo's voice within the back of your mind.

Maelo Evergva steps forward, almost protectively, to place himself between you and Moirean, nostrils flaring as Moirean's voice raises. "No," he declares, a powerful burst of energy pushing forward from his form, summoned by a gesture of his hand. "For all intents and purposes," he remarks, head tilting as his eyes narrow. "I was dead."

Moirean only snarls in reply, hand catching on your arm as her blow is deflected. Her fingers curl around your wrist as she demands, "Why did you say he was DEAD! Why-" Her hand grips tighter and her eyes narrow even more - but then, as Maelo steps between the two of you, she loses her grasp, eyes widening as she's knocked backwards to fall onto the deck.

You have emoted: His face suddenly falling at those words, Benedicto seems to crumple inwardly onto himself. "I thought he was dead too." He replies listlessly, dully.

Moirean stares up at the boy - the man - in wide-eyed confusion, one wing bent beneath her at an odd angle, while a slight graze scrapes up her side from the fall, sluggishly beginning to bleed. She doesn't seem to register any pain, her attention solely focused on Maelo.

"This is not the place for you two to fight," Maelo Evergva declares, chest heaving as his angered gaze flicks from Moirean to you. "I will not have it aboard my ship." Stepping away from you, the man approaches Moirean with an extended hand. "Stand, mother," he encourages, voice only somewhat softer than it previously had been.

Moirean does not take the offered hand. Her confusion slowly turns to a painfully clear look of suspicion and she instead crosses one arm over her chest, pulling to tight to her in a reflexive protective gesture. "Who are you?" she demands.

You have emoted: Benedicto waves his hand in Moirean's direction. "She will suffer no violence at my hands. I have ever struggled to raise my hand to her, even when it was needed." An expression of acute pain reflects the tone of his words towards Maelo Evergva. His attention switches back to Moirean abruptly. "He is our son!" He declares with sudden frustration. "Look at him Moirean. Open your eyes and look at him!"

"I am Maelo Evergva," Maelo Evergva declares, the hand still remaining in the air despite Moirean's refusal of it. His gaze locks with hers almost insistently, yet there's a firm edge to his posture that betrays the lighter-hearted notion of the gesture. "Your son."

/A slightly manic giggle/ Hurrah! Happy families!

Moirean slowly shakes her head. Her gaze slides past Maelo to fix on you, brow creasing. "I don't understand," she quietly mumbles, a clear question in her voice.

You have emoted: "Then let him explain." Benedicto sighs with frustration whilst gesturing towards Maelo Evergva.

Moirean seems determined to fix on the familiar - even if hostile - and keeps her gaze on you as she slowly twists to her feet, avoiding the extended hand. "I don't understand," she repeats, her tone growing more calm as she gives a heavy swallow. Finally, with a long inhale and exhale, she turns to Maelo and asks, "Explain?"

Maelo Evergva finally drops his hand with an exhalation of breath, his gaze left to linger upon Moirean's prone form. "After I had grown, raised in the care of Sibatti and Kiyotan, I had left to go on a scouting mission," the man speaks quickly. "On that trip we were ambushed. I told the rest of the party to run, while I stayed behind to fight - and lost." His jaw sets at the recounting of this particular part of the story. "As I laid upon the ground bleeding, He came to me and offered to give me another chance on two conditions."

Moirean lifts her chin, head tilting as she listens.

With another exhalation of breath, Maelo Evergva says, "The first being that I serve as His high priest when the time was right - a time that came last month."

Moirean's expression remains impassive and neutral as she listens to the terms.

As silence stretches on, Moirean finally lifts an eyebrow, asking, "And the second?"

You have emoted: "Moirean." Benedicto says with a note of impatience. "Believe me, he is our son." A faint sigh escapes him as he looks between Moirean and Maelo Evergva. "It pains me to leave this happy family reunion, but leave I must." He reaches out to squeeze his son's shoulder and he offers Moirean a curt nod, though his eyes hint at some hidden emotion. "I'm sorry for having to leave so abruptly."

Maelo Evergva takes note of the halberd in Moirean's hands, his eyes then drifting to the soulstone-embedded arm she wears. "The second is one that I am not yet permitted to share," he notes. "Particularly with you."

Moirean ceases to wield a well-maintained ironwood halberd, securing it to her weaponbelt.

Maelo Evergva says to you, "Farewell father, we will speak again in the near future."

Moirean looks between the two of you. "You do not have to leave on my behalf," she says, directly addressing you. "I will go."

You have emoted: Benedicto nods and lowers his hand from the shoulder of Maelo Evergva. "I have no doubt we will, son. We have many things to discuss." He directs his attention back to Moirean. "I have no doubt that we will need to speak when you have accepted his word." He raises his hand to forestall Moirean. "No! Stay. You need to speak with him. As his mother you have the right. I leave, not because of your presence, but because I need to go to my rest."

Maelo Evergva offers you a slight nod before returning his focus to Moirean.

Fini
OmeiEmelleEdhainTeaniMoireanJasline

Comments

• BenedictoBenedicto Tentacles Errywhere!
    Ooops and then a continuation from Moi's perspective! Her thoughts are red (like her hair!)

He's almost being nice. This definitely smells fishy.

Benedicto leaves to the northeast.

You have emoted: Moirean watches your father go, a slight slump and a quiet sigh cracking the neutral, cold mask, but the chink lasts only a heartbeat before she inhales slowly and turns back to you, expression melting away. "So you serve the Maelstrom," she echoes. "And by extension, dislike me and my path."

"I dislike the choices you seem to have evidently made," Maelo Evergva corrects, a brow arching. "But I do not dislike you." His chest rises and his posture straightens, his gaze never once leaving your form. "I've heard stories of your endeavors."

You have emoted: Moirean merely raises an eyebrow, inviting clarification.

"You lead the Carnifex, an army of warriors who thrive on the souls of others," Maelo Evergva notes as he ticks off a finger. "You command the Spires, a city that houses those whom fight actively against My lord." Another finger is ticked. "And you've found solace in the Malevolent's teachings?" A cringe dominates the man's features in response to this admission. "Mother, it sounds like you've cast aside whatever humanity you may have had, and lost yourself and now live vicariously through pain you inflict upon others."

You have emoted: "I forge strength," Moirean curtly replies. "Had you grown up with me, instead of being taken away, you would have learned to look past foolish fetters to see the importance in what I do." She glances away, a sharp frown on her lips, as she continues, "Instead you are now the priest to a God who preaches loudly about compassion but acts far crueller than who you think I am." Her eyes slide back to you and she coldly adds, "Or has He not told you how He's threatened your sister's life, simply for being my daughter?"

Eyebrow raising higher, you say, "If He would do that, how do you know His work here is not something in the same vein? Some trap, taking you in merely to make the pain hurt more when He strikes."

Maelo Evergva takes the words like he would a blow to the face, but this reaction is one shortly after wiped from his countenance. "He would not," he states, confidence and vibrato evident amidst his tone. "Everything He does is for a reason, for some greater good - threats, whether He intends to follow through with them or not or simply that until acted upon." The man's chin lifts somewhat as he speaks, as if to further emphasize the pride that lingers behind his words.

You have emoted: Moirean's tone softens slightly as she says, "I thought the same, once, when I was His priestess myself. When your father and I met, and loved, because of Him. When we made you." Even quieter, she adds, "Your hair was red, then, flaming bright, and even when things went...wrong, we still loved you."

Voice hardening, you say, "But that was a long time ago. The Maelstrom Himself cast me out and sent me to shadow."

"He did not cast you there himself," Maelo Evergva declares, brow furrowing as he shakes his head. "No, mother, you yourself made the conscious decision to go there." The straightened posture, the upwards-jutted chin, the steely voice - the facade - it all fades now as his shoulders slump just somewhat. "It's not too late," he says in barely a murmur.

You have emoted: "You have not been listening intently to the stories," Moirean replies. "Surely you've heard how I've traded my heart for power. I turn into a demon at night. I eat children." She lets out a bitter laugh. "Perhaps I've done even more fantastic things. I haven't been in the taverns lately to hear the gossip."

Quietly, you say, "Returning is not a choice."

"But I am serious mother," Maelo Evergva enthuses, his hands pushing forward to grasp at your own in an affectionate gesture. His bright blue eyes stare forward into your, and at such close proximity it's nearly stunning just how much the man looks like his father. "It is never too late. We can help," he explains before releasing a hand to gesture at the ship the two of you stand upon. "This... this is a symbol of a new beginning."

You have emoted: Moirean's cold neutrality wavers again as she allows herself a moment of softer tenderness - her own hands wrap around yours and her eyes close. She lifts her head, rising onto her toes to plant a soft kiss on your forehead, but she says nothing, remaining silent.

Maelo Evergva releases a breath, and then too releases your hands. "Go, mother," he encourages with a frown. "There is too much at risk should you be caught with me, and I caught with you." An undeniable sadness trudges its way along the man's countenance as the words escape his lips, but a step backward and away from you reinforces his verbal notion.

You shall now speak in Imp.

You say, in Imp, "Bye!"
    Placing a bone stepladder on the ground, you quickly scramble up it - upon reaching the top, a cloud of smoke erupts and you find yourself, for once, taller than everyone.

Perched above the world. (Edge of Reality.)
    An orb sigil rolls about on the ground. A sigil in the shape of a small, rectangular monolith is on the ground. A large wedding cake with a large suspended heart rests here.
    You see exits leading north, northeast, east, southeast, south, southwest, west, northwest, up, down, in, and out.

OmeiEdhainTeaniJasline
  • Absolutely wonderful!!!

• MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    I adore roleplaying with Bene, and our son being Slyphe's high priest is causing all sorts of tummyaches and confusion for Moi.
    KatsziaEdhain
  • TragerTrager Raiding your underwear drawer.
    Omg loveeeeee. I've never tried any kind of RP variation dealing with thoughts, but what I saw here was fantastic and amazingly detailed. Thanks for the read, both of you!
    Indoran'i is back baby. It's go-... Oh.

• I'm still personally giggling at Maelo being all sad about telling his mother she needs to leave, then her just going, "BYE" and poofing.

You had the perfect word for your custom wings in this situation.

TragerKatsziaEdhainTeani
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    >_>
  • Oh man, Bene! All that emotion! It totally did not make me snuffle... not at all. Ehem.

Awesome! What an incredible story arc. Thanks for sharing.
  • This was beautiful and awesome. For some reason it made me deeply happy reading this. Lots of opportunity to play out fun drama between those three. :)

And I'm amused at how 'Dhar's balls' is a regular curse for Bene.
    BenedictoSlyphe
  • BenedictoBenedicto Tentacles Errywhere!
    They're the best balls to curse by!
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    Lovely read! I can't wait to get to interact some with Bene.

• HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    Teani said:
    Lovely read! I can't wait to get to interact some with Bene.
    lol, I totally missed the word interact and had to reread.
    ¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
    Aarbrok