Artwork by Lin [Accepting Commissions]

LinLin BlackbirdThe Moonglade
edited February 2014 in The Exchange

I am accepting commissions for digital artwork. I utilize a crisp, expressive style that marries stylistic simplicity and patches of sharp detail. The simplest way to explain it is that I emulate modern manga, but I like to think I'm a little unique!

Current Queue

The current waiting queue, from first to last:

If you wanted a pic and your name's not on here, send me a PM with desired pricing and content!

Pricing Details

I would love to accept credits, iron coins, or other Aetolian goodies, but at present, artwork is my only means of income and believe me, I need all the income I can get. At the moment I can only accept money through PayPal.

Price is established first based on detail of line art, with additional options at cost. The bare minimum for a picture is $10. The maximum I will charge for a single picture (as outlined below) is $50. If I'm not too backlogged on commissions, I might accept additions such as extra characters, detail painting, and more. Pricing for extras would be agreed upon in private.

Simplistic (rough, sketchy): $5
Clean and refined: $15
Super high-resolution and/or very detailed: $25

Portrait: +$5
Unless specified otherwise, Simplistic drawings will almost always be priced as Portraits.
In-between: +$5 - +$10
I may have to eyeball the price for special cases, such as waist-up portraits, etc.
Full-figure: +$10
Features at least 80% of the subject.

Simple background: +$5
A street lamp, a bed, a bit of abstract foliage, etc.
Complex background: +$15
A detailed scene, not including other people.

Detailed shading: +$10
Much more detailed shading, beyond the flat/two-tone manga style.
Full color: +$10
Self-explanatory. Sometimes I will add one or two tones of color to black-and-white images to spruce them up (see Blanche, Abhorash, or Mask of the Father, below). This won't incur an increased price.

Minimum: $10
Maximum: $50
Normally, I will not ask for higher than this price. If you get a super detailed, full-figure pic with complete background, detailed shading, and color, it will be $50, not $70! Of course, unless you ask for...

Special requests: Varies
Includes: Extra characters, a one-page comic scene, included writing and/or script, typography and/or logo work, integration into a website, game, or other media form, etc. The price of your requests will be negotiated personally.

Examples

The images below are a handful of art pieces I've done in the past. Some of these are old and don't really indicate the quality you would get with your commission. Remember: these are only ballpark examples! Click the thumbnails to see the full image.
image image
image image
image image
image image
image image
image image
image image
image image

Payment

Unfortunately, I can only accept payment in USD, even if your nation's funny-money happens to be mightier at the moment. Commissions are not paid for until a complete picture is presented. When I have finished your piece, I will send you a compressed, watermarked version of the final product. You pay only when it meets your satisfaction!

All payment is done through PayPal. I will send you an e-mail with the payment information.

Contact

If you decide to commission my work, send me a forum PM. Alternatively, you can shoot an e-mail to brendon(dot)hollesen(at)gmail(dot)com.

Do not send Lin or Anfini an in-game message; I am not currently playing Aetolia.

Disclaimers, faux-Legal Stuff

A lot of this goes without saying, but this is the internet and you never know what might happen.Let's get the nitty-gritty out of the way.

By purchasing a piece of artwork from me, you agree to the following terms:

I operate on a commission basis, not work-for-hire. I retain all copyrights and reproduction rights for the product, whether finished or unfinished.

You are allowed limited personal use of my work. Legalese evades me, so let's just say that you can show it off, get a print, a tattoo, or print it on a t-shirt or a thong or something. Needless to say, you can't sell anything with the artwork on it and you sure as hell can't let someone else get the tattoo. You also agree to send me a picture of any tattoos like this you get, so be careful where you put 'em.

tl;dr: The artwork remains mine. I can do anything with it; you can do anything with it as long as it doesn't make you money.

Q & A:

Q: What programs/tools do you use?

A: The work pipeline varies, but 90% of the time, I do my line art/tones in Manga Studio 5. Colors and postwork are added in Adobe Photoshop CS6. I draw with a WACOM Bamboo Pen tablet. The artwork is drawn at 600 dpi, with aliased (pixelated) edges. This makes the line work incredibly sharp, and lends very well to printing.

Q: Will you draw [insert description of hideous sexual act here]?

A: Nope. I don't mind nudity, though. I may agree to something a little more racy than an American R-rating, but honestly it'll be a tough sell - this stuff goes into my portfolio, as well.

Q: Why are your prices so high compared to @Eleanor?

A: First off, let's get this out of the way: Eleanor is a badass artist. I'm flattered you'd even consider me with her in town. But there's something you should know about our comparative pricing. Let's talk about James Harvey.

James Harvey is a professional artist based in the United Kingdom. He's produced a number of successful comics over the last decade, with most of his customer base in the UK and Japan. He's responsible for the hilarious Bartkira project on Tumblr. He even did album inset art for the Gorillaz. He's no Frank Miller or Yoshitaka Amano, but he's a pro, no doubt about it. James Harvey's commission prices look like this:

Inked portrait: £40 ($66)
Full figure: £100 ($167)
Color: +£20 - +£30 (+$33 - +$50)
Source: http://harveyjames.tumblr.com/post/58376282904/im-open-for-commissions-for-a-limited-time

But hey, for a little while, you could get a discount!

Simple sketches: £20 ($33)
Source: http://harveyjames.tumblr.com/post/64524334289/commissions-are-now-20

tl;dr: I gotta be straight with you here: I don't even have a job, man. I can't afford to sell my art at Eleanor's rates. I gotta eat! Just know that if you commission me, you're going to get a high-quality piece of artwork that you will love, I guarantee it.
HavenSetneHadoryuEzalorKatsziaNola

Comments

• LinLin Blackbird The Moonglade
    Important note: It doesn't have to be Aetolian characters! I'll draw your character from WoW, your pet dog, even a banana if you want.
    Jesus I draw Lin way too much. I was asked to show an example of a "high detail, full color" drawing. I am loath to show this one off because honestly it began as a practice trace that kinda got out of hand, but it makes a good demonstration.

This is not safe for work. No I won't show the whole thing.

• I'm interested in a full HD, all the trimmings wallpaper featuring Hadoryu. Creative vision's up to you, though keep in mind it'd have to sit on a desktop. Price estimate?

I'm assuming it's ok to post this here and not in a PM? If not, lemme know and I'll axe it. Or axe it yourself.
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    I didn't think Hadoryu was much for sitting on desktops himself.
    HadoryuIosyneLinHavenAryannePeriluna
  • AarbrokAarbrok Breaking things...For Science San Diego, CA
    edited February 2014
    Linface, I really want one of the 35 dollar ones like....this one.

I will be so ecstatic to pay you for your awesome work, youre a pretty awesome guy :D

edited February 2014
    Hadoryu said:
    I'm interested in a full HD, all the trimmings wallpaper featuring Hadoryu. Creative vision's up to you, though keep in mind it'd have to sit on a desktop. Price estimate?

I'm assuming it's ok to post this here and not in a PM? If not, lemme know and I'll axe it. Or axe it yourself.
    @Hadoryu: It is okay, but it's a lot easier for me to manage if you send me a PM, that way I can keep all the information in one place! But I'd be totally happy to do a wallpaper of Hadobutt (as the images usually come out ridiculously large, I'd send you the full version, and then several of them cropped into your wallpaper's size/ratio). Plz to be giving me your details in private.

Aarbrok said:
    Linface, I really want one of the 35 dollar ones like....this one.

I will be so ecstatic to pay you for your awesome work, youre a pretty awesome guy :D

@Aarbrok: Same, bro, same. I'll definitely do Aarbutt. Shoot me a PM, same as above.

Also: Added the current commission queue to the top of my original post. The only limit to how many I'll take is how long you're willing to wait.
    I just wanted to thank you guys so much for the reception. If this workload kept its current pace, this would be the best-paying job I've ever had in my life. You're contributing to paid bills and no more awful microwaveable burritos. <3 you all so much.
    KatsziaBenedictoHavenAryanneDraimanHadoryuArekaIrae
    Just to give a glimpse of the process and to answer one of the most common questions in my PM box - when it's your turn, what I'll do is crank out a rough concept sketch. This is focused less on technical ability (anatomical problems are uhh, common at this early stage) and more on layout. This is the point at which you make suggestions and negotiate changes. Once you give the thumbs-up, I go buck-ass wild and come back with a finished piece.

As an example, here's the sketch I just sent Areka. The final piece is around this size. Spoilered for hugeness and also for Barbie doll nudity:

[spoiler]image[/spoiler]
    BenedictoArekaMaghakHadoryuPerilunaEmelle
    Well! Off to a great start already. I had no internet for most of the day so I had no access to requests, details, or anything else. Really sorry about that. Getting back to the grind. Also updated the queue.
  • Hey @Lin, are you going to post the ones you do? I'm always super interested in your work. Would love to see how they're turning out as you go!
    MoireanSlyphe
  • ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    Dem horns ./fanself
    Slyphe
  • *shiftyeyes* Seeing that one for Eleanor? Yeah, I'm prolly gonna commission a second when you don't have a crapload of them on your plate (including one for me already). You're amazing! Love it!

And I agree with @Areka. Sweet horns!
  • After the what, 1k messages I sent you on skype? Looking forward to seeing mine!

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

edited March 2014
    It is not possible to give me more detail than Toz gave me. I now know how big his aureolae are.
    Nola
  • ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    "like flapjacks"
    Slyphe
  • My margin of error was precisely zero.

oh wait, toz is famous

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

• MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    You make it sound like "Goliath with a hammer" is super hard to visually pinpoint. >_>
  • He's actually going to be drawing the other Toz. My baby space commie.

...Who was also kind of tall, and wielded a hammer.

oh wait, toz is famous

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz