I was bored and thought I'd offer a possible reskin of our Order War system. What do you guys think? Flame/Critique/Praise/Offer your own ideas/Whatever:
- Joining a Congregation will be the trial period in which you must learn about the Divine and prove yourself in some fashion.
- Members of the Congregation are NOT allowed to participate in any fashion during WAR TIME activities.
- Joining an Order now automatically fits you with a brand or trinket of some kind. (Visibility can be toggled, true purposes will be outlined further down.)
- Shrines will have three size categories called Master, Major and Minor. Each Order will have one Master Shrine and it'll be located at the entrance of their Temple. The Order's members/congregation will determine how large of an area they want to 'control/monitor/put effort behind'. Majors will be limited to one per area for each Order. Each Order can build up to a maximum amount of Major shrines (let's say six as an example) but must have a minimum of two or three.
Stage 1: Preparation / Spreading the 'Good' Word.
This is essentially the default period / peace time. During this period, Divine Orders and Congregations will now have 3 structures made available to them that they can tend to: Shrines, Monuments, and their Avatars.
Shrines: It is only during the peace/default phase that shrines can be erected or dismantled at-will, so it is up to the Order and their congregation to determine how large of an area they want to 'control/monitor/put effort behind/upkeep'.
- All shrines serve as a place of offering corpses.
- Minor Shrines will have no powers/abilities associated with them. Purely a station to offer corpses and serve as a 'buffer' or shield for Major Shrines. A minor shrine cannot be defiled until its seal is broken by offering a certain threshold of corpses. No build limit. Perhaps reinstate the shrine radius restrictions.
- Major Shrines will have current shrine powers abilities associated with them (Endurance, Health regen, godsbane, etc) for potentially area/radius wide effects. Build Limit: 1 per area per Order (No more than 2 or 3 Major Shrines total in an area). A major shrine cannot be defiled. It can be instantly destroyed with a 10 second channeled command once all its guardians are destroyed (see Monuments).
- Master Shrine will serve as conduit to augment and access Avatars. It will also serve as alter where Order relics rest and can be destroyed. Master Shrines cannot be defiled or destroyed.
Monuments: It is only during peace time that monuments can be raised. Build limit: 2 monuments per Major Shrine. Requires a major shrine in the area raised.
Each monument will have a corresponding Shrine Guardian that is sealed inside. When a seal is broken on a minor shrine, a seal is also broken on a monument. When 5 seals are broken, the Shrine Guardian is spawned and released into the area to randomly roam. The Guardian's strength is strictly linked with the amount of essence offered. (The strength will be tiered at say... 25 million essence for lvl 70 mob, 50 million essence for lvl 160 mob, 100 million essence for lvl 250 mob, etc.) Essence should be automatically cleared yearly or something appropriate.
Stage 2: WAR
During war time, Divine Orders will undergo a set of matches (best of 3) of randomly chosen skill challenges to determine the winner. (You might get The Last Relic twice and Plane Walker once for your war set as an example. Or you might even get one of each challenge.) When war is declared all shrines are locked into place and no new shrines may be erected. Unfinished shrines are automatically destroyed.
1. Shrine Raider: The Last Relic
This challenge has a capture the flag kind of feel. Each Order will be given a 5 slot Divine Totem or Relic of sorts that will rest at their Master Shrine. (I imagine it might be best to make it similar to how the Rowan Box currently works if anything but a configurable 'secret' combination option Orders can set themselves is cool too.) If this challenge is chosen, said Relic will lift from the Master Shrine and be broken into 5 equal parts before being randomized in sequence. Perhaps even allow the pieces to scatter across sapience for an added challenge (kind of like meteor showers). The first Order to collect all the opposing Order's Relic pieces, fitting them together properly to make the Relic whole again, and plant it on their own Master Shrine as a sacrifice wins the challenge.
Example: Khepri's crow relic and Dhaivol's Hourglass relic are broken into five parts. Dhaivol's Order manages to collect all pieces and assemble them in the proper sequence before placing the crow on Dhaivol's Master Shrine for sacrifice and thus wins this round.
2. Avatar: The Last Plane Walker
In each temple, hidden within a private chamber are incubation tubes filled with husks in slumber. During peace time, through use of the Master Shrine terminal, the husks can be augmented with various attacks learned via shrine experience or something. Shrine experience can come from Order Wars won...or maybe from total offerings made during peace time. Not sure, something to think about and flesh out later. It will start off with 3 basic skills depending on its class of tank, dps (magic based or weapon based), healer. (Perhaps more powerful version of skills or more abilities can be learned later and swapped out as the husks grow in strength. To start, perhaps a rock-paper-scissors format would be best.) During war time, the husks can be awoken and made to pass through a portal into a different Plane through the use of the Master Shrine terminal where players assume control of the husks and become Avatars. The plane should be a varied dungeon of sorts with special mobs susceptible/resistant to certain types of damage that the players must defeat in order to progress. The group of players that finish the dungeon first wins this challenge.
3. Die Hard 5: The Zerg Rush
This challenge will take the more traditional route of defiling and rely heavily on player-killing. Corpses are gathered to break protective seals on Minor Shrines and monuments. Once the minor shrine's seal is broken, a player may begin praying for defilement. The defiling phase should be treated like lesser leyline tapping in the sense that you're allowed to do anything BUT move from the room else the process of defiling is disrupted. In addition to this, active Order enemies (i.e., the other Order you're currently warring) must NOT be within a certain radius of the shrine in order for it to be defiled once seals are broken. Once enough minor shrines are down, spirit guardians are released as a last line of defense for Major Shrines. Players must then kill the shrine guardians before they're allowed to instantly destroy Major Shrines.
Stage 3: Revelation
This stage will essentially be the cool down phase where awards are handed out where warranted. I recommend basic prizes similar to the ylem bonuses or something. But for subsequent wins allow for special prizes like honor lines for the participating Order or special Order only skills/races/languages/etc. This can be fleshed out too to mean more!
¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."