Vote, Citizen!

Comments

• Wow, that's ridiculous(ly awesome).

i am rapture coder
  • DaskalosDaskalos Credit Whore Extraordinare Rolling amongst piles of credits.
    Those Lusternian bastards just passed us. Vote!

Message #17059 Sent By: Oleis           Received On: 1/03/2014/17:24
    "If it makes you feel better, just checking your artifact list threatens to crash my mudlet."

• How is Midkemia so high?

Aryanne
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    Drugs.
    AarbrokOmei
  • PiperPiper Master Crumbs
    edited January 2014
    Noon said:
    How is Midkemia so high?

They have a pretty free and dependable system available on the forum that pretty much urges you to vote as part of your prompt. End result is that everyone votes because free is nice.

Also, there are a lot of them and they encourage each other to vote.
  • DaingeanDaingean Xanhaal, probably.
    Piper said:
    Noon said:
    How is Midkemia so high?

They have a pretty free and dependable system available on the forum that pretty much urges you to vote as part of your prompt. End result is that everyone votes because free is nice.

Also, there are a lot of them and they encourage each other to vote.
    Last time I played, the system didn't -work- if you didn't vote - literally, when the reminder came up, the system was paused internally until you clicked the link.
    Proudly fighting against Greytolia since the [approximately] 3/1/2010 at 18:00.
    Iosyne
    Technically that's not against TMS rules, since the system is a 3rd party thing, not the game itself forcing votes. The guy who made it wants people to vote in lieu of payment for his coding, which is kinda cool, imho.
    PiperOmei
  • SetneSetne The Grand Tyrant
    MKO has way less people than all the other IRE games, but since the majority of players use the free system, they're regularly reminded to vote and do so, compared to the other games, where there are more people, but a smaller percentage voting.

Ingram said:
    "Oh my arms are suddenly lubed"
  • Our TMS blurb has been updated! Keep up the voting so everyone can see how amazingly awesome we are.
    PiperIosyne
  • Would it be against the rules to have my system auto vote in some fashion? I've already got it to where I can make Mudlet grab the page, parse the parameters, and send the same effect as clicking vote. Essentially I can already have it so I just type 'vote' as of now, but I was going to just trigger it or put it on a timer.
  • (The Crafting Guild of Sapience): Becue says, "As if things couldn't get better, cooking supply shops 
    will now sell plenty of bacon! There shall never be a shortage again!"

If you won't vote for Didi, vote for bacon. Mm bacon.

KerrynTeaniJaslineSessizlik
    Kaeus said:
    Would it be against the rules to have my system auto vote in some fashion? I've already got it to where I can make Mudlet grab the page, parse the parameters, and send the same effect as clicking vote. Essentially I can already have it so I just type 'vote' as of now, but I was going to just trigger it or put it on a timer.
    I doubt it would be against the rules. I would test a bit and actually make sure that counts as a vote. I know Mudbot had a similar feature and Aetolia's end of thing thought people were voting but TMS actually didn't register it.
  • DaskalosDaskalos Credit Whore Extraordinare Rolling amongst piles of credits.
    @Kaeus

• Can I automate the voting?
      You can create tools to make it easier to vote for your MUD with a single click, but you cannot automate the voting entirely. TMS is a traffic exchange. Games send their players here to vote and they gain exposure to other MUDs while here. Players coming from other MUDs to vote get some exposure to your MUD. Automaing the voting boosts your ranking unfairly and undermines the integrity of the entire system. Games found distributing tools to automate their player's voting will no longer be listed in the rankings.
    You're a third party, and I believe this is what Midkemia's 'FREE' system is doing... so I think you're OK.

Message #17059 Sent By: Oleis           Received On: 1/03/2014/17:24
    "If it makes you feel better, just checking your artifact list threatens to crash my mudlet."

Haern said:
    Our TMS blurb has been updated! Keep up the voting so everyone can see how amazingly awesome we are.
    That blurb is SUCH an improvement. Much love for it! :)
    PerilunaTeani
  • Well, I don't get the same confirmation thanks for the vote I normally do, but it does seem to increase the vote count (and is still limited by the once per 12 hours thing).
  • Clearly we need to create an open source system that encourages people to vote.
  • SaritaSarita Empress of Bahir'an The Pillars of the Earth
    So the games can't give PLAYERS rewards for voting or penalties for not voting. Does that mean that there could be some sort of promotion-style game wide thing that would just happen to coincide with our vote rank from the last month? Ie. if we make into into the top 10, there'd be an exp bonus depending on the rank? (100% for #1, 90% for #2, etc.)?
    edited January 2014
    No, that's considered bribing people for votes. Achaea did that kind of stuff when the site first opened and it caused a ton of drama and rules were explicitly made to prohibit it.
  • AshmerAshmer Barefoot Adventurer Life
    edited January 2014

Okay.

Open your Aliases window in mudlet. Create a new alias called "vote."

Pattern: ^vote$

Body:

openUrl(http://www.aetolia.com/vote)

Vote.
    Vote.
    Vote.
    Vote.
    Vote.
    Vote.
    Vote.
    Vote.

Edit: Why? Because SCREW Imperian, that's why.

the way she tells me I'm hers and she is mine

open hand or closed fist would be fine

blood as rare and sweet as cherry wine

Neithan
    Lusternia's almost caught up to us! GOO GOOOG OGOOGOGOGOGO
  • Voted.
  • Sarita said:
    So the games can't give PLAYERS rewards for voting or penalties for not voting. Does that mean that there could be some sort of promotion-style game wide thing that would just happen to coincide with our vote rank from the last month? Ie. if we make into into the top 10, there'd be an exp bonus depending on the rank? (100% for #1, 90% for #2, etc.)?

Achaea did that originally. You got a small experience bonus if enough people voted on a daily basis. Other MUDs complained that this was bribery and TMS changed the rules. IRE games have continued to dominate the rankings for years, anyway.
  • edited January 2014
    Imperian has almost caught up to Lusternia, and MkO has almost caught up to Achaea.

I think we started something (but poor Lusty is oblivious).

@Kaeus
    If auto vote was a TW setting, I'd turn it on. As it is though, I just type vote. I still click the link though, didn't realise I didn't have to.
    @veovis:

Actually Aet has slipped in the ranks in recent years. If you look at TMS's lifetime scores 6 years ago and compare them to now, it's a bit surprising. In 2006, Aetolia was #6 on the lifetime rankings, even though the game only launched in 2001, and TMS has been around since at least 2000. We're back up to #9, but Aetolia was down to like 12 or 13 nearly a year ago, while the other IREs remained fairly static. Bad news is that we slipped pretty heavy for a long time to average out to that, good news is that we've been rising up lately to jump up several lifetime ranks in only a few months.

I mean, the overall importance of the voting is something the admin would know and not us, obviously, as we don't have metrics and info for incoming page views, but I can say anecdotally the TMS ranks are why I settled on Aetolia. I went right down the list clicking games until I found one I liked.

Somewhat tangential, but what is New Worlds Ateraan doing in their blurb/write-up and can we copy it somehow? :P They have the 2nd highest clicks over to their website off TMS, so something about how they are presenting their info seems to be really appealing to TMS traffic (they have more visits the their game's homepage via TMS than they even have votes O.o). 
  • SessizlikSessizlik Muffin Mage
    Imperian passed us! Back to the voting!
  • AshmerAshmer Barefoot Adventurer Life
    Sessizlik said:
    Imperian passed us! Back to the voting!

Seriously!

MOVE PEOPLE MOVE.

the way she tells me I'm hers and she is mine

open hand or closed fist would be fine

blood as rare and sweet as cherry wine

• EzalorEzalor Emperor D'baen Canada
    @Ferrik

You use Shapeshifting Mutate.
    A snarling hiss escapes your lips as your body begins to shift, the audible stretching and straining of your muscles causing you to double over as your flesh thickens, the skin becoming a tough, scaly hide. Your face elongates into a long snout, rows of sharp teeth erupting from your lips while a thick, powerful tail grows out of your lower spine, covered with the same armor-like scales that adorn the rest of your body. Wicked claws sprout from the end of each of your digits, the newly bulked muscles in your arms and legs lending a definite air of power. As the transformation completes itself, your pupils dilate and narrow into thin slits, primal fury overtaking your consciousness as you assume your menacing, reptilian form and let out a loud, bellowing hiss.

Coming soon (tm).

(Time to tape down that vote button)
    PiperAarbrokFerrik
    H-H-H-H-HOT! Keep at it folks! We're almost at #4 again!
  • Don't forget, you can also utilize the config vote option to have 'vote' show up in your prompt whenever it's time to vote!

This discussion has been closed.