The Council of Ash

SaritaSarita Empress of Bahir'anThe Pillars of the Earth
The first part took place not long after Sarita became GM. The two logs are separated by the events surrounding Niuri's death.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

PART ONE

You are transported by the power of the Divine. (Divine Transport)

Beneath the gaze of the Earthen Lords. (the Pillars of the Earth) (27849)

Earthwarden Uzgrol stands before the vast pillar here, its great hands outstretched before it in binding rite. Ivoln looms vastly over the space, a puissant wash of death emanating from His body. A pillar of the Earthen sorcerer-kings looms high and spans far above into the vast abyss, casting a glooming luminescence upon the hallowed earth.

You see exits leading north, east, south, and west.

Ivoln gives a slight bow to you, stone and detritus shuddering from His colossal form with the movement.

You have emoted: Sarita blinks in surprise once, glancing around quickly before swallowing as she catches sight of Ivoln. When she speaks, her voice is almost quivery. "My Lor - Father? I did not expect to see You again so soon."

Father Ivoln says, "Nor did I expect to see you, Sarita. It is good to see you as the Imperator once again."

You have emoted: Sarita belatedly dips into a curtsey, the movement noticeably less graceful than it would be outside of her earthen body. "You flatter me, my L - ah. I am but one person, and without the support of others, even my efforts may fail to come to fruition. The failings You noted in the post to us were not Macavity's alone."

Father Ivoln says, "Indeed, they were not. I do, however, see a brighter future already beginning for the Teradrim with your guidance and My tutelage."

You have emoted: Sarita seems unable to speak for a moment. Eventually she manages to say in a softer voice, "What would You have of me to see that You do not leave us on the date you promised? There have been some who think that such a departure would do us good, that it may serve as a call to action, but I would much rather we not reach such a state."

With a slight incline of His head, Father Ivoln says, "Let us remember the teachings of the Earthen, m'lady. Strength is not a fleeting thing, but something to be tempered and honed through many trials."

You have emoted: Sarita dips her head in an acknowledgement of Ivoln's words. Keeping it bowed, she says, "Aye."

Father Ivoln says, "Do you understand where the path of the Earthen shall take Us, Sarita?"

Slowly, you say, "From all that we have been told and taught thus far, I would imagine that You or the Earthen who guide the Sect would gradually help us integrate more with the rest, that we may work more actively to protect the Pillars and possibly deal with other threats to Azvosh as they arise."

With a rasping chuckle, Father Ivoln says, "That is but one way, but I am not the only way."

You say, "I suppose the way in which You said 'us' implied that You too would be involved."

Extending a craggy hand outwards to you, Father Ivoln says, "Not in the manner that you might guess, My friend."

You have emoted: Sarita looks over Ivoln's hand tentatively, her expression completely uncertain as she says, "I imagine not. There is much about us that we still cannot fully comprehend, and I personally have never been good at understanding the gods."

Father Ivoln says, "With your diligence, you shall see the future that the Earthen wish to shape for you."

You have emoted: Sarita manages a slight nod before saying, "Then I shall strive to make the Sect worthy of it."

With His hand remaining outstretched to you, Father Ivoln says, "It is more than just striving, Sarita."

You have emoted: "I think I understand, but I fear that at this moment, I can promise little more than that, my Lo - ah..." As Sarita's voice falters, she gnaws briefly on her lower lip, staring at Ivoln's hand again. Very tentatively, she lifts her own hand, pointing the tips of her fingers at Ivoln's hand but otherwise not reaching out with it herself.

He is an Immortal of colossal height and breadth, His weight such that the ground buckles beneath His feet. His body is a study in geology, a humanoid shape emulated in hewings of striated rock. Ribbons of limestone and shale race across the planar slopes of the God's earthflesh, mingling with greater layers of basalt, granite, and mica. Ripped across His breast is a deep crevasse, housing a pulsing heart of amber that hangs in the dead space, emanating puissant force. His head takes the appearance of a leering skull, misshapen as if melted by a blast of heat, stuck in a permanent glower. Set into a deeply recessed socket, His left eye blazes with bright, gritty light. A gigantic, war-torn cloak is slung around His shoulders, which tends to flap about as the large God ambulates with power and terrifying speed.

(displayed on one arm) : an earthen wyrm armband

(over the head) : a shattered bone helm

(draped over His body) : a tattered cloak

(wound around one of His wrists) : simple prayer beads of Ivoln

Father Ivoln says, "The Teradrim have stood by far too long and been removed from the greater aspects of this world. It is time, Imperator, for them to assume their place in the grand scheme of things. It is time for them to grasp the strength that they so desire."

Father Ivoln says, "Look around yourself, Sarita, to these Pillars of the kings. What do you see?"

Hand still hovering near her chest, you say, "I see the prisons of kings in numbers we've yet to count. I see the results of the power spent to trap them there and keep them from escaping again. I see earth and stone, wyverns and Earthen - the Earthwarden and watchers alike."

(Archetypes): Renaud says, "I've finished learning, can someone help me with the ritual of union?"

You ask Ivoln, "Would You excuse me for the time it takes to assist Renaud in his ritual?"

Ivoln places a heavy hand upon your shoulder, his eye flickering to the Earthwarden before focusing on you once again. "It will be a fleeting thing should the Teradrim not rise to meet the challenge. Tend to your young, Sarita. I shall remain here and await you."

(Archetypes): You say, "I can, aye."

You have emoted: Sarita offers Ivoln another curtsey, this one a bit more fluid that the last.

Father Ivoln says, "Have you thought on what I said, Sarita?"

You have emoted: Sarita gives Ivoln a quiet nod. She appears more composed now than she did before, with stony hands tucked neatly together.

Father Ivoln says, "And does this fill you with fear?"

After a moment of contemplation, you say, "Fear is not the word I would use, but I do not take it lightly. Gravity may be more apt."

His voice a low rasp, Father Ivoln says, "When dealing with the lords of the Earthen, fear may be an appropriate thing, Sarita. In all this, though, I hope to only teach you of what shall be expected of you. The Earthcallers and Shapers look upon you, but they do not see an ally--they see a tool to be manipulated."

Frowning, you ask, "Shall I take that to mean that You cannot teach us how to change that perception, that we must do that much on our own?"

Ivoln gives a low chuckle. "I cannot shape their minds, but I may teach you what I know of them and their ways. You carry yourselves, yet still, as My servants and subjects.

You say, "I believe that would be much appreciated by us all."

Father Ivoln says, "The Earthen have taken note of this and regard you as little more than My pets. I do not believe you to be so, but they are a proud race."

You have emoted: Frowning again, Sarita directs her gaze over to Uzgrol before asking calmly, "Even those who reside among us, in the Grotto?"

Father Ivoln says, "They very may well, but I do not plunge into their minds for such information. They know this."

You have emoted: A faint, rueful smile crosses Sarita's face briefly as she turns to look towards the Earthwarden once more. When she looks back, her expression is neutral again.

Ivoln takes a tentative step forward, pausing to stand alongside you. "What I speak of, though, is more than the individual belief--no, I speak of the Council of Ash and their view towards you," the god rumbles in a low burr, His eye fixed upon the Pillar before you. "The Teradrim are Earthen-kin, something new to the Earthen in truth, and they are.. interested in you."

You have emoted: Sarita nods slowly, glancing over to Ivoln and studying his profile before saying, "Then the interest is mutual."

Father Ivoln says, "Much would be asked of the Teradrim should they join the Council, Imperator. You shall represent the Teradrim as a denizen of the Earthen's dominion."

You ask, "They would have us join despite not yet regarding us as allies?"

Father Ivoln says, "All are asked to join, but it is another matter entirely if they were to remain."

You have emoted: Sarita falls silent once more, but nods in response in Ivoln's words.

Father Ivoln says, "First, you must carry yourselves with pride. You have a great deal of strength, so it is time to show the Earthen this. Bravado it may be, but it is worthwhile for you to do so."

Father Ivoln says, "Do you find this to be a suitable path, Sarita?"

You say, "If I may be so blunt as to to ask this, Your followers speak often of the purity of the earth, citing it as a reason to eschew artifice. Where do You draw the line between bravado and other forms of manipulation?"

Father Ivoln says, "I am hardly one for backroom politics as My Brother is so wont to, Sarita."

You have emoted: "Aye," Sarita says simply, turning her face away from Ivoln and towards the Pillar instead. "How would we go about expressing our acceptance of our place on the Council?"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PART TWO

A beautiful melody wafts across the heavens, lifting each of the Teradrim with the divine blessing of Father Ivoln.

(Teradrim): You say, "Thank You."

(Teradrim): Exayne says, "Thank you, Father."

(Teradrim): Taygeta says, "Thank You."

(Teradrim): Ivoln says, "It has been well-earned, Imperator. Now, I believe it is time we continued our discussion. Would you care to join Me?"

(Teradrim): You say, "I would be happy to, my Lord. Would You have others join as well?"

Within a hallowed chamber of the Earthen.

This cavern is wide and vaulted with obsidian walls that have been smoothed to a gleaming sheen and glimmer with the flickering light of the braziers scattered around the chamber's stamped floor. Graven images of the Earthen stare downwards at the center of the chamber as if in reverence; their eyes shards of light from the lingering darkness that shrouds the uppermost heights of the vaulted ceilings. Upon the floor, large slabs of stone have been arranged to form the image of a vast wyrm devouring its own tail and hallowed runes of the Earthen have been etched all along its body in painstaking detail. A sigil in the shape of a small, rectangular monolith is on the ground. Vorgol keeps vigil here, his umber eyes focused intently upon you. Ivoln looms vastly over the space, a puissant wash of death emanating from His body. The power of the Earthen radiates forth from the hallowed earth here.

You see exits leading north, east, south, and west.

(Teradrim): Ivoln says, "If they wish to, of course."

You have emoted: Brushing a stray piece of fur from her gown, Sarita dips into her usual respectful and perfectly graceful curtsey before Ivoln.

(Teradrim): Exayne says, "I would gladly come, if it deemed appropriate."

Ivoln gives a short incline of His head to you. "Imperator. It is good to see you."

(Teradrim): Ivoln says, "You may join us if you wish to, Exayne."

(Teradrim): You say, "We are in the chamber of the Earthen for now."

He is an Immortal of colossal height and breadth, His weight such that the ground buckles beneath His feet. His body is a study in geology, a humanoid shape emulated in hewings of striated rock. Ribbons of limestone and shale race across the planar slopes of the God's earthflesh, mingling with greater layers of basalt, granite, and mica. Ripped across His breast is a deep crevasse, housing a pulsing heart of amber that hangs in the dead space, emanating puissant force. His head takes the appearance of a leering skull, misshapen as if melted by a blast of heat, stuck in a permanent glower. Set into a deeply recessed socket, His left eye blazes with bright, gritty light. A gigantic, war-torn cloak is slung around His shoulders, which tends to flap about as the large God ambulates with power and terrifying speed.

(displayed on one arm) : an earthen wyrm armband

(over the head) : a shattered bone helm

(draped over His body) : a tattered cloak

(wound around one of His wrists) : simple prayer beads of Ivoln

The earth around you suddenly starts to rumble.

Exayne bows respectfully to Ivoln.

Exayne bows respectfully to you.

Taygeta bows respectfully to Ivoln.

Taygeta bows respectfully to you.

Keeper, Duke Exayne D'baen, Blackveins rumbles in a tone that resonates with earthen power, "Father, Imperator."

You say to Ivoln, "And You, my Lord. I am glad that most of what You seemed to fear before has not come to pass."

Ivoln gives a short incline of His head to Exayne, then to Taygeta. "Greetings," He utters in a low tone before turning His attention once more to you. "Indeed, Imperator. I am glad for that as well."

With a chuckle, Father Ivoln says, "However, I am now here to finish our discussion concerning the Teradrim's place amongst all of.. this."

Exayne assumes an attentive stance, his hands clasped in front of him as he silently observes the proceedings.

Ivoln casts an arm outward, gesturing widely to the chamber. "The Teradrim have a part to play. One that cannot be denied, as I am sure you are aware."

You have emoted: Sarita tilts her chin upwards so that she can see everyone else in the chamber more clearly before focusing her attention back on Ivoln. "Aye," she says softly, though clearly enough to be heard without difficulty.

Taygeta stands beside and slightly behind Exayne, a slight cant of her head belying her interest.

Ivoln closes a fist, the stone limb grinding and cracking with the movement as His gaze roves across the chamber. "It is not an easy thing that shall be asked of the Teradrim, Imperator. The Council shall hold you to the highest of their standards. They will ask much of you. All of you," He frowns, giving a low snort. "From the youngest to the eldest amongst you."

Kajav arrives from the north.

A twitch of the head is the only hint Exayne gives of curiosity, his features remaining impassive as his gaze is fixed on the Earthen Lord.

You have emoted: Sarita's head turns briefly towards Kajav before she fixes her gaze back on Ivoln. "My resolve is as it was before."

Father Ivoln says, "And do you offer these few men and women of the Teradrim up to them, then?"

Upon seeing Ivoln's presence in the gathering, Kajav quickly smooths out the fabric of her shirt and side-steps the larger individuals so as to not be trod upon. Her coppery gaze darts to you with a nod, though she soon turns her somewhat wide-eyed attention back to the God.

You have emoted: "Now? This very day?" Sarita asks, eyes immediately towards Taygeta as she speaks.

Taygeta's chin lifts slightly, her lips twitching downward ever so slightly as her gaze meets your.

Taygeta tells you, "I am more than willing to dive into whatever this guild holds."

You tell Archetype Taygeta, "Being willing is one thing. Having had the time to learn and understand what we face is another."

Taygeta tells you, "I understand this well enough, but I cannot help not understanding, yet, what the guild faces. All I can do is remedy that as quickly as possible."

Ivoln straightens, His gaze falling once more upon you. "It is a ceremonial duty of Mine, Imperator. You shall stand as witnesses as you are formally recognized by the Council of Ash. Very bureaucratic of them, truly, but I believe it would be more pleasing compared to their previous ceremonies."

You have emoted: Sarita folds her hands together neatly before nodding and saying, "May I have a moment or two to prepare myself? I imagine they would sooner see me as more truly one of them than this body allows. In the meantime, we can see if any others will attend."

With a shake of His great head, Father Ivoln says, "They shall not join us this day, Imperator. When you impress the Council of Ash, they shall deign to invite you to your first Council meeting. Although, the greatest of the warleaders may wish to battle you when that time comes."

Exayne's brow creases into a slight frown at the last remark his gaze transferring to you.

You have emoted: "Am I to take that to mean that they would look down on the notion of appointing a champion to stand for the Sect?" Sarita asks after a brief glance down at her still-folded and very noticeably small hands.

Kajav's gaze flits to the side, her stance shifting to one of a more anticipatory, rigid posture, before her attention is drawn once more to the conversation.

Ivoln falls silent, running a stony hand over His jaw before finally speaking once again. "They might, Imperator. Although it has not been done before."

You have emoted: Sarita's eyes flicker briefly over the others again as she says thoughtfully, "You told me before that we are different than the other Earthen who have come to the Council before too."

Father Ivoln says, "Indeed, you are. It shall be quite a change for them as much as it will be for you."

You have emoted: Sarita nods again, though the expression on her face remains visibly thoughtful as she finally tilts her chain upwards towards Ivoln's gaze again.

His voice little more than a low rumble, Father Ivoln says, "Shall we continue down this path, Imperator?"

You have emoted: Sarita takes a small step backwards, looking around more slowly so that she can lock her eyes momentarily on each of the other Teradrim present before straightening her back to add the impression of height as she says clearly, "We shall."

Exayne nods slowly at the desicion, his features still free of any emotion.

Kajav's pale-haired head dips in a nod of confirming agreement, grip adjusting about her flail into a more business-like hold.

Taygeta folds her hands at her front, nodding once.

Father Ivoln says, "Very well, Imperator. The participants have been noted and should the time come when the Teradrim no longer have a place amongst the Council of Ash, each and every one of you shall be bound to the Pillars of the Earth so you might serve for an eternity."

You have emoted: Sarita nods once, slowly, her expression fading to one that's slightly less readable than before.

Ivoln claps His hands together, giving a short nod to you. "It is done, Imperator. As I said, quite ceremonial."

You have emoted: "Quite," Sarita echoes as she unclasps her hands and runs them down the sides of her skirt, smoothing nearly invisible folds in the fabric out.

set new guild rank names. doot doot doot

His gaze roving over the gathered Teradrim, Father Ivoln says, "And are there any questions?"

Exayne frowns in thought before slowly starting "Forgive my...ignorance in this. But I may of missed something during my absence over the last few months, and i'm sure young Taygeta here need to be filled in also. But what exactly has just been agreed on?" he asks.

Taygeta shifts slightly, balancing her weight on her right leg as her heads tilts slightly, lips pursing slightly.

With a chuckle, Father Ivoln says to you, "Willing indeed, Imperator."

You say to Exayne, "This is not a recent matter, but rather than one addressed partly in the second to last guild posting."

"Ah!" Exayne says to you, comprehension flashing across his face.

Keeper, Duke Exayne D'baen, Blackveins says to Father Ivoln, "I never said I was not willing Lord, I just asked for more detail if possible."

Kajav covers her mouth with a hand, muffling some sound or another that comes in a short burst.

Father Ivoln says to Keeper, Duke Exayne D'baen, Blackveins, "It is not in regards to you. Rather, her willingness to sacrifice your lives so readily to the cause."

Exayne nods his head at Ivoln.

Keeper, Duke Exayne D'baen, Blackveins says, "Sounds fun."

Father Ivoln says to you, "The stage is yours, Imperator."

Exayne tilts his head and listens intently to you.

Slowly but steadily, you say, "When I assumed the mantle of Imperator again, I was told that we would not truly grasp the strength we desire as a Sect until we assumed our place in the grand scheme of the world. You told me too that they would ask much, and that is what we will give to achieve what we have sought for the many years since we first learned of the Pillars and Azvosh."

Exayne seems to think for a moment before nodding slowly at you.

Father Ivoln says, "It is as I said; you have a part to play and the Earthen would see you stand alongside them."

Father Ivoln says, "With the Imperator's willingness, you have taken a fateful step forward. Your ranks shall reflect that of the Earthen's own and your place amongst them."

You say to Ivoln, "You told me also that while some fear may not go amiss, we have the right to carry ourselves with pride. While we may have our years of quiet, I have known the core of the Sect to stand strong enough to face the challenges that have come our way."

Father Ivoln says, "Let us hope that continues onward, Imperator. I expect much more of you than they."

You have emoted: Sarita folds her hands together once again as she says to Ivoln, "And I do not believe You would have brought this to us now if You did not have some degree of confidence in us now."

You say to Ivoln, "With Your leave, I would like to compose a missive to the rest of the Sect to inform them of what has taken place here."

Colors seem to grow brighter, sounds more sharp and intense, as Omei, the Artist returns to Her monolithic temple.

Father Ivoln says, "Now, I've a gnat to tend to."

Ivoln mightily stamps the ground, forming a huge gash in the earth, through which He drops. The tear closes itself, leaving no trace of the God's departure.

Ivoln hurls Calipso into the abyss.

Areka