Announce #2535 Duiran

Comments

• XavinXavin Member Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As someone who left Duiran because he had a feeling crap like this was going to go down sooner or later, I have this to say: All of ya'll screwed up. There is not one person involved in the recent drama in Duiran that is not to blame. All the back-biting and gossiping and rumor mongering that goes on needs to stop. Because if it doesn't, I'm sure that the admin will step in harder and no one in that org is going to be happy with the result, least of all the anyone who thinks this is a victory for their clique of people.

TragerIllidanEydis
  • SerriceSerrice the Black Fox Member Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, as long as I can still buy city/guild credits I'm chill.

Draiman
  • TozToz Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xavin said:

As someone who left Duiran because he had a feeling crap like this was going to go down sooner or later, I have this to say: All of ya'll screwed up. There is not one person involved in the recent drama in Duiran that is not to blame. All the back-biting and gossiping and rumor mongering that goes on needs to stop. Because if it doesn't, I'm sure that the admin will step in harder and no one in that org is going to be happy with the result, least of all the anyone who thinks this is a victory for their clique of people.

I was going to post, but @Xavin did it for me word for word, so.
    (Oasis): Azzello says, "I'll still never forget the first time I saw Toz throwing hammers."
    (Oasis): Azzello says, "I freaked out and thought they had somehow managed to pull me into them."
    (Oasis): Azzello says, "So I tumbled away from my team and into theirs."

• AishiaAishia Queen Bee Member Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    :s

• JarnulJarnul EarthMember Posts: 9
    I had no idea this was going on. It makes Midkemia seem tame.
  • FezzixFezzix Member Posts: 128 ✭✭✭
    Shachalai said:

@Serrice: Exactly.

That's just the thing. This thread, beyond being a useful point for venting, isn't going to accomplish anything of note. No one involved thinks that it's their fault, and no one is going to be convinced that it is their fault. People already have reasons for blaming other people, and those other people have reasons for blaming right back. Argument, especially angry argument, rarely changes minds - it just entrenches people in their existing preconceptions.

It's easy to conclude that this thread isn't going to be useful. It's also easy to conclude that without more direct action (possibly taking place without being advertised), the problem's just going to keep manifesting itself differently. Mechanics just change the rules. Any set of rules can be metagamed. A solution is outside the scope of the topic and forum rules.

FeirenzDristinDraiman
  • DemarcusDemarcus Black Flagon InnMember Posts: 532 ✭✭✭✭
    Heh, I guess Duiran isn't close enough to the ocean to sink with giant alien worms...
    KonnornDidi
  • DristinDristin Member Posts: 585 Immortal
    Fezzix said:

Shachalai said:

@Serrice: Exactly.

Stuff and things.

KerrynIshinFezzix
  • SerriceSerrice the Black Fox Member Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't, someone explain =(

• DristinDristin Member Posts: 585 Immortal
    edited April 2016
    Serrice said:

I didn't, someone explain =(

It's from Blazing Saddles, a Mel Brookes movie. Here's a clip:

(Clip that leads to the above one: )

Edit: And for good measure:
    RiluoFezzix
  • RelandrocRelandroc Member Posts: 1
    It is sad that the meeting which was intended to give the people of Duiran what they wanted insight into what the Speakers were working on, a chance to see some of the ideas, to voice their concerns over the ideas, add to those ideas or even agree with the ideas devolved into another endless run of personal attacks and demands of removal, and barely if any time was actually focused on the ideas presented.

Not only did a god step in an state plainly that there was no wrong doing done in the election process for the one Speaker, still the demands kept on to replace her on grounds of she stole the election or appointed herself to the position. In the end though had that person done what was being accused of them, I do believe that is where you could issue. I am pretty sure that threatening a player with removal from a guild for joining an election or contesting you is something that can be issued, removing a player from a guild for contesting you merely because they contested you I believe is also something that the Admin would not look favorably on.

It is almost to the point now where the three of us are saying why are we even bothering, if our ideas are not going to be looked at, if the players can not act in a mature way and realize the seriousness of the situation they are in and would rather take out an entire organization to satiate their lust for blood in their witch hunt against this one player, there is no point in even trying to put forth an effort to make the changes to rebuild Duiran as the Admin have directed with the guidance they have offered, because quite frankly as things are going its just going to be destroyed anyway, but I guess it will be worth it because at least that one person will no longer be in a position of authority anymore.
    KerrynXavinAvishai
    Contesting is a pretty immutable tool. No one can stop you from doing it, you can't be kicked out WHILE doing it. If you feel too intimidated to do that, because someone is too "powerful" to contest or intervene against, well, that's politics for you. The fact that you have that mindset is coming close to affirming their authority or perceived influence in my opinion.

If you're going to cast aspersions on your leader, and stir up muck/trouble, then contest, don't be surprised if you're ousted when you lose that election. Heck if you're spending time doing that regardless, insubordination is enough of a reason to be ousted in the absence of an election. No one wants to put up with a member of their guild, city, whatever, who just tries to start drama or veer conversations into arguments. People who spend all their time calling other people out are not an asset. Heck even people who just spend all their time questioning decisions but have no real input are on thin ice.

KerrynMarienaXavinFezzix
    Honestly, and I've said this to one of the speakers already but I'm going to put it here just so it's out in the open, its getting to the point where most reasonable people aren't going to be blaming Duiran's leaders if they start kicking people out of the org over some of this stuff.

Pretty much what @Toz said. If people start getting booted from Duiran for being toxic, I don't expect any of the other three city-orgs will be all that welcoming.

• RasaniRasani Member Posts: 119 ✭✭✭
    Honestly, watching it go from one witch hunt to another makes it really, painfully obvious that, despite the many claims that various leaders were the problem (Pilar, I know, was the popular one to complain about), that group will be unhappy with anyone they can't bully into doing what they want or someone who encourages their behavior in some way.
    IshinAvishaiOrisae
  • TeaniTeani Evening Sky SwedenMember Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I confess to mostly having heard sporadic pieces of information/gossip/spewed venom when it comes to this conflict. I barely know -any- particulars and try to consider all of it one-sided nonsense no matter where it comes from. Sometimes, I suppose, it pays off not particularly belonging to a certain clique, as I can ignore it and just play my game. At the same time it's rather frustrating not to know who the Admin really considers to be the more toxic people here, so I can distance myself from that even more.

I'm in the game for a good time, much like most other players, I guess. Hearing talk about totalitarianism and outright harassment is quite scary, especially considering the Admin are supposed to safeguard against at least one of these things. That is what shrubbing and bans are for, no?

I really hope things calm down and that people can start acting like human beings, rather than disconnecting themselves from their actions, just because they're all safe from harm behind a screen or a made up internet identity.

• TozToz Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Planthopper coup into martial law, anyone?
    (Oasis): Azzello says, "I'll still never forget the first time I saw Toz throwing hammers."
    (Oasis): Azzello says, "I freaked out and thought they had somehow managed to pull me into them."
    (Oasis): Azzello says, "So I tumbled away from my team and into theirs."

edited April 2016
    Things are working out ok, just have to keep nipping bad buds and trying to keep the discourse constructive. You can't have a gift Rome and keep two in the bush too. Best to look at this point as BUILDING not just maintaining an org. I've been trying to belt out some of my more inspirational words and to have opinions on things, and others are doing better too I think. Hey we all have rivals and people we don't like but maybe it's healthier to at least PRETEND we like them. If they are going to make some aspect of the game better you should probably just be like "AUGUGH FINE WHATEVER DO YOUR THING" I mean lots of us have been playing this game long enough that we have HISTORY and even VALID rivalries and whatevers, and those things can really just keep piling up. But might be time to forget you had some drama in 2009.

XeniaAvishai
  • RasaniRasani Member Posts: 119 ✭✭✭
    Rivals and stuff are fine in character. It's when all this OOC stuff gets dragged in, people clearly talking out of game to try to ruin somebody just because they don't agree with them IC is when it becomes an issue. IC conflict is what rp is based on, but at this point the troublemakers in Duiran need to realize that their toxic RP may very well cost them the org they're claiming they love. When Admin have to come in in the form of gods and tell you to knock it off, you're taking it WAY too far and you need to take a step back. I mean, Duiran has had people leave the org over the toxicity, and that's a shame. Players pick where they go for a reason, because they think it'll be fun, and yet they basically get strongarmed out by people who can't keep their bad behavior in check.
  • RiluoRiluo The DoctorMember Posts: 821 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    @Liska

It has caused several people to leave and it is not going to change in a hurry due to the ig political system that allows for power to shift around within a select few. It has been around always in one form or another but the last year it has hit a all time low with metagaming being used to force people out of the game to benefit a select few.

What can be done?

Not a lot given the climate and the lack of accountability on both levels of the game.

Abhorash says, "Ve'kahi has proved that even bastards can earn their place."