Announce post #2896: Bardic and Artisanal

<pre>10/30/2018 at 0:55
Tiur, the Gnosis
Everyone
Bardic and Artisanal

For the month of November, we're running a one-time Artisanal and Bardic contest! You will have until the end of the month to submit your entries to support@aetolia.com (our new website doesn't support submission yet!). But wait, there's a theme! All entries should adhere to this, and it will be a factor in the judging

THEME: The Leviathan, October in Aetolia

Anything and everything related to the Leviathan event we ran throughout October. This can include things such as making bombs, feeding the bloodstone or egg, forging for Lobyl, the seals, dregs, the leviathan hunt with Slyphe and so on! If it had something to do with the event, it's fair game.

What wouldn't be acceptable under this theme? Things that are barely disguised as being part of the event. Examples of this would be "here's a portrait of my husband and I discussing our worries about Jox over tea." If you're unsure, ask us before you begin your work!

Again, entries must be submitted via e-mail to support@aetolia.com before November has ended! Please include a brief description of your work, the work itself, and your character's name. Only one entry per person per contest (i.e. you can have one bardic entry, and one artisanal entry).

As this is a one-off contest, the credit prizes this time will be slightly higher than when the contests were regular occurrence. Artisanal and Bardics will have separate prize tables/placings. (HELP BARDIC, HELP ARTISANAL)

1st place: 500cr, 4 points^
2nd place: 350cr, 2 points^
3rd place: 200cr, 1 point^
Runners up: 100cr*

^Points are for the Artisanal and Bardic fellowships, refer to their help file.
*To be qualified as a runner-up, you must meet a minimum standard of quality that's up to our discretion. i.e. you can't submit a stick-figure art drawing and hope to get something there.

COPYRIGHT NOTICE
----------------
All submitted works become the sole property of Iron Realms Entertainment, with all copyright assigned to Iron Realms Entertainment. The reason for this is that we wish to be eternally free to display winning works on our website. If you still have a problem with this, consider that the only works that will win are ones that have something to do with Aetolia, and you couldn't sell those anyway. We don't mind you also posting the works on your website though.

Penned by my hand on Gosday, the 23rd of Lanosian, in the year 476 MA.</pre>
KelliaraSteelePazradymTeaniLuas

Comments

• TiurTiur Producer
    Additional note: Plagiarism will get you shrubbed. In the past things have snuck by that were traced or altered, but going forward this will not be allowed. There's a big difference between a reference and a tracing!
  • Out of curiosity: Does this mean the archives of previous artisanals/bardics are getting put back on the site, or is this a fresh start?
  • TiurTiur Producer
    Figuring out how to reattach archives and old website stuff has thus-far proven above my ability. We'll see!
  • RazmaelRazmael Administrator, Immortal
    As a side note, I know some of you have been asking if anybody has the description of suchandsuch God. Let us know in this thread here and we'll hook you up, or forum PM/message me in game instead if you don't want others to know!
    Luas
  • Is there a length or wordcount linked to this?

There's no hard word count/length attached to bardics, no. We've had 'short' (in the sense of a quick poem, or a paragraph or two) entries place highly in the past, but it is considerably harder to do so with shorter texts as the quality of the entry generally has to be a lot higher to stand out to the judges. On the flipside, we're also not looking an entire novel just due to time constraints for judging - we have multiple judges that'll be reading every work, and we take an average score from them.
  • WHY CAN I ONLY CLICK AWESOME ON THIS ONCE!
    Now with 253% more Madness.
    Cute-Kelli by @Sessizlik.
    SteelePazradymTeaniLuas
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    Tiur said:

Additional note: Plagiarism will get you shrubbed. In the past things have snuck by that were traced or altered, but going forward this will not be allowed. There's a big difference between a reference and a tracing!

Unicorns I'm out 😥
    LuasZaila
  • I.. know nothing about the event. Absolutely nothing. So I guess I'm out.
  • edited October 2018
    I. Am. Stoked.

Sorry if this has already been asked/answered somewhere, but is there a limit to how many entries we can submit? The urge to inundate you guys in terrible art is strong.

Only one entry per person per contest (i.e. you can have one bardic entry, and one artisanal entry).

Derp! Phoe right, my bad.
  • PhoeneciaPhoenecia The Merchant of Esterport Somewhere in Attica
    Luas said:
    I. Am. Stoked. Sorry if this has already been asked/answered somewhere, but is there a limit to how many entries we can submit? The urge to inundate you guys in terrible art is strong.
    In the announce post, I believe it says one entry per person per contest, so you can enter both an artisanal and a bardic entry, but not more than one in each.

It's how it used to be run when they were a regular occurrence. There were a few occasions where I had entered in both and placed in both within the same month. 
    Luas
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    @Tiur

So it's only plagarism if it's not public domain/free use and if I LIE about it right!?!
  • can we get a full description of Jox here, please?

i mean, the basic idea is clearly

but i figure y'all want things spruced up a bit, yeah?
    Indoran'i is back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (wolf Howl)
    An Atzob cultist says, "Is a shamatato as tasty as a potato?"
    (Tells): From afar, Mephistoles hisses harshly to you, "Hey baby, show me your ovipositor?"
    The mighty Jy'Barrak Golgotha opens his maw, catches the glowing spear in his many jagged teeth, and chomps down. The Divine spear breaks with a noise like thunder, shards toppling from the Emperor's jaws. "OM NOM NOM!" He declares, then spits the last of the ruined weapon from his lips.

Emir
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    I wanna trace it so bad
  • TekiasTekias Wisconsin
    CONSUMMATE V'S!
    Formerly: Spiegel. Eidycue.

Hi.

Raeken
  • PhoeneciaPhoenecia The Merchant of Esterport Somewhere in Attica
    Actually, while we're at it, could I get a deal for Torax, child of Jox as well? <3
    Vyxsis said:

can we get a full description of Jox here, please?

i mean, the basic idea is clearly

but i figure y'all want things spruced up a bit, yeah?

We don't actually have a description for Jox, so feel free to use creative liberty here! But our general notes for what he looks like is: Jox is a leviathan that's thousands of feet long, with eyes the size of a galleon. Scales of a green-blue colour. Wields the elements of Water and Shadow.

Phoenecia said:

Actually, while we're at it, could I get a deal for Torax, child of Jox as well? <3

Here's Torax though:
    Coated in algae, barnacles, and parasitic fish, the gargantuan creature before you is easily the size of a galleon, and that merely the parts above water. With a serpent-like body, a ravenous toothy maw, and dozens of spiny maneuvering fins, this creature could rule the seas uncontested by any conventional animal. Long, catfish-like whiskers hang from its mouth on either side, sparking with bio-electricity and glowing against the backdrop of the sea as the beast undulates through the water. Beneath the waves, present only as ominous shadows, the beast seems to have a mass of writhing tentacles, gripping an enormous whale whose tail occasionally breaches the water in its struggles. Its name is Torax, child of Jox.

(yes Torax is essentially the size of one of Jox's eyes)
    Luas
  • Is Aetolia a round world? I assume also people from other continents would notice, in the very least, the moon exploding. How big was Varian in the scene, was he cosmic size big when he showed up?

Xenia said:

Is Aetolia a round world? I assume also people from other continents would notice, in the very least, the moon exploding. How big was Varian in the scene, was he cosmic size big when he showed up?

Aetolia is round, yes. Other continents definitely noticed the moon exploding, and definitely noticed the cosmic being who repaired it.

Here's Varian's description:
    He is an Immortal and is roughly twenty feet tall in His current form. Though He is built as a humanoid, He lacks the details of an actual mortal. His limbs are smooth, and while clearly powerful, display no musculature definition. His face is an unnerving blank slate, with gentle curves where the traditional eyes, nose, and mouth tend to be. He glows and crackles with a palpably powerful energy that makes your hair stand on end.

Likely, his radiance would've made him out in low orbit appear as a bright star pinpoint that appeared above the massive Leviathan. They would've lost sight of him as he descended to confer with his children.
    Xenia
  • Razmael said:

Xenia said:

Is Aetolia a round world? I assume also people from other continents would notice, in the very least, the moon exploding. How big was Varian in the scene, was he cosmic size big when he showed up?

Aetolia is round, yes.

Says you.

#flataetolia #wakeupsheeple #doyourownresearch #thetruthisoutthere
    EmirLuasKelliaraKodaVyxsisZailaXeniaTekiasTeani
  • So... I've already submitted one thing, but I just wrote something else that is 100% better. What would I need to do?
    -The Axeslinger
  • Tedrunai said:

Razmael said:

Xenia said:

Aetolia is round, yes.

Says you.

#flataetolia #wakeupsheeple #doyourownresearch #thetruthisoutthere
    could be flat and round, like a disc
    Indoran'i is back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (wolf Howl)
    An Atzob cultist says, "Is a shamatato as tasty as a potato?"
    (Tells): From afar, Mephistoles hisses harshly to you, "Hey baby, show me your ovipositor?"
    The mighty Jy'Barrak Golgotha opens his maw, catches the glowing spear in his many jagged teeth, and chomps down. The Divine spear breaks with a noise like thunder, shards toppling from the Emperor's jaws. "OM NOM NOM!" He declares, then spits the last of the ruined weapon from his lips.

• Could I get the descriptions of Daimoxoth, Avareti, and Severn's sword? <3
  • Vyxsis said:

could be flat and round, like a disc

yes, and it's also held up on the back of a giant turtle flying through space

Vyxsis
  • TedrunaiTedrunai Immortal
    edited November 2018
    Daimoxoth
    He is a muscular Dreikathi and towers, stretched and wightish, at an impressive ten feet in height.
    His hair is like a rend in space, with only an eye-aching void in place of its hue, and his features
    cut angularly like sharp stars of midnight. Nightmare wreathes his form, transmogrifying and
    distorting him, though his eyes burn crimson and vengeful, the one thing unmarred about his original,
    Dreikathi nature. Though thin and starved, an emaciation of minds and pleasures, there is a terrible
    strength about his form - one that threatens to splinter reality should it be exercised too grossly.

(worn) : a ruined rag shirt

the Blade of Artifice
    Radiating bitter chill, this thin blade is defined by absence more than presence. It is a gaping
    void rent into the very essence of existence, an offense against Creation itself. Though so thin
    that it is close to invisible when viewed edge-on, the weapon is far more deadly than the sharpest
    blade could ever hope to be.
    It weighs about 10 pound(s).

Avareti
    She is an Immortal creature who went splat. Press F to pay respects.

She is an Immortal creature that radiates strength and power. Dusky hued skin covers Her body from top to bottom, with nary a trace of any hair covering it, including Her head. Instead of hair,
    markings of an unknown design cover Her scalp, never staying in one design for a length of time.
    Small in stature, She reaches near to the four foot mark. Wings the same as Her skin are nearly as
    long as She is tall, tapered at the ends with hook like claws that are able to grasp. Her eyes are
    entirely black, from iris to pupil, not framed with lashes of any sort. Her frame is thick and
    stocky, well-muscled as if made for hard work. From appearance, She is pleasant to look upon, but no
    more than that.

(covering the body) : a floor-length black and white dress
    SteeleIazamatVyxsis
  • F
    (Web): Toz says, "Emir's Express Evacuation and Existence Eradicator, Every Experience is Explosive - Experience the Entirety of your Existence!"
    Vyxsis
  • Tedrunai said:

Avareti
    She is an Immortal creature who went splat. Press F to pay respects.

:'(

F

#justiceforAvareti.
    Now with 253% more Madness.
    Cute-Kelli by @Sessizlik.
    Vyxsis