Announce post #3176: Aegis and PK

Comments

• TetchtaTetchta The Innocent
    Czcibor said:

I'm not sure what comparison you're trying to make.

It's spontaneous PK, and even though I don't PK outside of lessers or really engage in unorganized pvp, the consequences of a violent world still impacted my character. That's the point. Generally, organic PVP is easy to avoid, but you can't act like it's the sort of thing that always needs to be consented to. By its very nature it can be thrust upon you, so I don't know why you're harping on like organic/spontaneous PKing is something that always has to be opted into.

• edited April 2021
    But I'm not saying that can't exist at all. I'm saying, in this specific scenario, you can't pretend to be attacked when you put down an aegis because you're clearly the one who is doing the attacking. You can defend the aegis, but you can't go back and get revenge on everyone who stopped you from defending it later. The people defending it put themselves at risk already. In this instance they didn't die, but in another they might have. Either way, that should be the end of it.

I'm also saying that just because there are more rules doesn't mean you can't have less of the PK you agree upon with other parties.
  • HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    Czcibor said:

But I'm not saying that can't exist at all. I'm saying, in this specific scenario, you can't pretend to be attacked when you put down an aegis because you're clearly the one who is doing the attacking. You can defend the aegis, but you can't go back and get revenge on everyone who stopped you from defending it later. The people defending it put themselves at risk already. In this instance they didn't die, but in another they might have. Either way, that should be the end of it.

I'm also saying that just because there are more rules doesn't mean you can't have less of the PK you agree upon with other parties.

Except, until ruled recently, if the aegis did not activate on you it was not considered aggressive/hostile like many other abilities that exist in the game. Now, it's mere existence is being ruled as a threat and justification for other players to go mess with the aegis without any realistic fear of reprisal for their actions. Spirit players aren't honestly taking down Aegises because they're being attacked by them. They're stripping the aegis pre-emptively in hope of denying the Mage and their team future advantage for pre-emptively setting up an Aegis. Fundamentally, there is no difference in that line of thinking and say wormholes, rites, traps, etc set up in similar veins to execute advantageous strategy but Aegis is being singled out here.

If the argument is that the advantage is too big or that the Orrery design is flawed then we should be focusing on those merits instead of delegitimizing valid player conduct. This ruling has completely skipped over the heart of the issue and instead further weaponized issuing and reliance of admin policing.
    ¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
    TetchtaSaidennNisaviDrystinArathIllikaal
  • edited April 2021
    Better solution. Remove rule #2 or clarify it to be very very specific. Make the unstable energies of the Orrery make elemental bindings fail to prevent aegis from being attuned on the mountain top or anywhere in Scidve even if you want to be extra careful.

Give shadow some entrenchment breakers that can't be stopped by a some plants, a monolith, and a thicc boi elk.
    NisaviTetchtaHavenValeriaArath
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    I sort of just want to see if I got this right. 

I put down an Aegis, no matter what its effects, and that's an offensive act. This is especially true if it is placed in a contested/highly frequented area.
     - if true, the only unfair part of this I see is that some effects are not offensive, as has been noted previously. It's sort of like saying that if someone hits you and then you enemy them so your howls hit them after, you were somehow the one to hit first. If the effects on the Aegis are non-offensive, putting it down should not be considered offensive either, unless, perhaps, if they are set up inside an opposing city as a way to spy or something.

If someone comes to disarm my Aegis, I am allowed to defend my property against that single person. 
    - makes sense, no matter if I win or lose. One fight to defend if I catch someone in the act. If I log in to find out someone just destroyed it, that would likely be alright too, but I can't wait for too long. (If they hide out to make that wait too long, well, start making a personal list of grievances, and for every time they repeat their act, add on a day to your waiting time and see if you can catch them outside of their hidey hole. Either they don't take down enough of them to up this time period, or they have to resort to living in constant fear of being jumped for their repeated offenses. This ought to be easy enough to explain to Admin.)

If I bring a/several friend(s) to defend it, the opponent has PK cause against my friend(s) for getting involved in a fight I started by placing my Aegis.
     - makes sense too, since it wasn't really their fight. So long as they don't drag it out in absurdum and attack those people weeks and weeks after the fact, this is all good. (As for my friends hiding, see above notes.)

If the opponent brings a/several friend(s) to guard while disarming my Aegis, I don't get PK cause on the friend, because I started the fight and showed up to resolve it in a direct conflict (even if I don't stand a chance in a 1v2 fight)?
     - I hope I got this one wrong, because it feels like it should be similar to the previous point. I go to defend against one aggressor in a direct conflict. They know I have a right to defend my property, and should be prepared for the consequences. Their friend(s) would be added muscle in a conflict that is supposedly only between that one person and me.

• So if I walk into a room and pop up my aegis shield since it's called aegis can everyone now freely kill me for flexing my aegis at them?

• yes but you and all your friends can defend it
  • RhyotRhyot Bloodloch
    There's a huge growing issue that I am seeing overall....

1a) People don't know how to stay out of conflict that doesn't involve them. This entire debacle was started because Benedicto called in everyone from Spirit side to defend him while he destroyed an Aegis that Nisavi put up during the Orrery. When Nisavi went to fight Benedicto, everyone piled onto Nisavi and killed him. Nisavi then decided to call everyone out to either a) fight him in honorable combat or b) get hunted for their participation.

All that seems pretty fair to me with the exception of Benedicto calling upon his team to defend him while he sat there and destroyed an aegis. I see a whole bunch of people coming to his aid to defend him (even on forums), but I see nothing from Benedicto himself admitting to being a part of the problem.

1b) This is literally the Uno-reverse card of when Benedicto put up a shrine in the middle of the Orrery for the strategic advantage of teleportation and passive damage to those fighting. When this was called out on forums and in-game, there was a huge defense for shrining the Orrery and how it was ok.... but when those people who destroyed the shrine afterward they were hunted by the Order for destroying the shrine. So, I can't help but feel there's a bit of the pot calling the kettle black, what's good for the goose is being good for gander, as well as a MASSIVE twist of double standards.

2) People whinging about Nisavi calling them out because "omg I can't beat Nisavi so I'm not going to fight." There's this wonderful thing called being an adult and owning up to your actions. If you decided to help defend Benedicto and you attacked Nisavi, he is absolutely allowed to beat your ass into the ground because you helped kill him. It doesn't matter if you can or cannot beat him in 1v1, accept your consequences.

I cannot count how many times I've fought people who I knew I couldn't beat because it was the honorable thing to do. I got my ass handed to me by Trikal, Draiman, Benedicto, Ashmer, and others that I can't really remember off the top of my head. I would even get called out by them to either a) fight them and the issue is dropped or b) get jumped by them and the issue gets dropped. Well, I want to play the game rather than be a bi.tch and hide in my haven or city.... so I'd take the duel, take my L, and move on with my life.

3) In a very rare occurrence, I have to agree with @Tetchta that the playerbase seems more averse to having conflict. Anything that can be organic conflict (such as aegis killing and hunting down of those who helped destroy the aegis), is essentially reaching a point of non-existence because players as a whole refuses to accept responsibility and consequence. They would rather sit in their own little bubble and do whatever it is that they wanna do, which is cool! We're all entitled to play how we want to play. However, the problem lies when you try to force everyone else to play how you play.

If you don't want to be involved in conflict, then sit your happy ass in a bar, drink your drinks and RP/craft your heart away. Otherwise, leave the conflict to those that want to be involved. In this VERY PARTICULAR situation.... that would have been Benedicto and Nisavi. No one else needed to get involved, but people chose to. People chose conflict and then bitched when it came back to bite them.

4) However, I also agree with @Haven that those who do want more conflict are the outliers and eventually those who want conflict will disappear. The playerbase has a very dominant culture and mentality that will eventually force those who want more PVP and organic conflict to walk away, because that is what is being set with all these rules, regulations, and bylaws tapped with the immediate knee-jerk reactions to just issue when conflict arises rather than RP it out of something.

I imagine that this post is going to be met with a whole lot of 'Disagrees', but hey... once again, read point #4.

IesidBenedictoTetchtaSryaenArathNisaviSaidenn
  • Tiur said:

They're meant to be sorta vague, because I hate enumerated PK rules.

This mindset has been one of the worst things for IRE. You don't want to declare rules out of some weird fear, then hours are spent declaring them in messages and issue responses with conflicting answers until it comes to a head with everyone angry and the rules being made more explicit anyway, even if rules like 'no single death issues' are ignored in the process.

TetchtaSaidenn
  • Rhyot said:

1b) This is literally the Uno-reverse card of when Benedicto put up a shrine in the middle of the Orrery for the strategic advantage of teleportation and passive damage to those fighting. When this was called out on forums and in-game, there was a huge defense for shrining the Orrery and how it was ok.... but when those people who destroyed the shrine afterward they were hunted by the Order for destroying the shrine. So, I can't help but feel there's a bit of the pot calling the kettle black, what's good for the goose is being good for gander, as well as a MASSIVE twist of double standards.

@Rhyot First of all, I never said shrining the Orrery was a bad thing. My words :
    Is the main purpose of dropping a shrine at the middle of observatory gaining advantage during a conflict event that doesn't revolve around Gods? Clearly. Is it wrong to want that advantage? No. Is it wrong to want to nullify that advantage? Also no.

Secondly, as literally the only person from Spirit that made a comment on the shrines specifically, I can't help but feel this is directed at me. So you are calling my opinions hypocrisy for an action that I didn't perform, nor I was even in the game at the time of because I disagreed with it on a principle basis? Yikes.
    Yo can we stop doing this when people make posts in good faith? I'm not sure it makes conversations better.

• I'm not sure that saying someone called all of a tether for help when it was probably something like a quarter of the people that had just been at the order from our tether and directly calling someone out is a good faith post.

Benedicto
    Something can be wrong/misremembered and not be in bad faith.

• edited April 2021
    Yeah seriously, the gang mentality mouth breather shit where you're just mindlessly agreeing with your tether no matter the topic is tiresome. Always the same little cliques that do it too. 
    IllikaalAeryxRihrin
  • yes but you and all your friends can defend it
  • I'm less willing to accept gross exaggeration from someone known to be extremely volatile about anyone in their opposing tether than you are I guess.

• IllikaalIllikaal Pray Area
    Drystin said:

Yeah seriously, the gang mentality mouth breather unicorns where you're just mindlessly agreeing with your tether no matter the topic is tiresome. Always the same little cliques that do it too. 

I believe we called this "Forum RP" back in the day.

All fax. No printer.
    "And finally, swear to Me: You will give your life to Dendara for you are Tiarna an-Kiar."
    NisaviRihrin
  • Illidan said:

"Forum RP"

Can we get this as a reaction?
    LinSeurimasSibatti
    I'd still like to know if I understood the situation properly or not. My post was a genuine question for clarification. Did anyone have an answer?

• edited April 2021
    Yeah, for what it's worth, I appreciate that @Naos and @Haven have both broken apart to disagree when they actually do disagree. Naos and I butt heads often, but I appreciate the candor from both of them. I have to admit that I'm a little disappointed if people are defending shrines as acceptable but aegis somehow isn't when both require time to build and both give you a pre-emptive advantage when set up in advance. People also DID go after those who got rid of the shrines because of that advantage.

I mean this in the most polite way possible that those two are fairly synonymous with each other, so if you're expressing support for shrines but against aegises, it comes off as very partisan. It's worth noting that if someone goes after shrines on the Observatory mountain, I am all about them being attacked for it. This is why I dusted the Slyphe shrines when they were up on the Observatory mountain, because I was willing to eat the aura and deal with the repercussions afterwards. While it has been awhile, those who were in Shadow web for the time could potentially recall me moaning about the prospect about getting enemied to Slyphe and having defilement aura for 24 hours, but again -- I was willing to accept that risk because it made logical sense that I could be attacked for it.
    Tetchta
  • Except... No one is doing it. Aegii and Shrines are tether-free, what's partisan about discussing them here? It'd make more sense if this thread looked more Mages vs World than Spirit vs Shadow.

If you put a shrine to gain leverage at Orrery. You are the one asking for it to be dusted/removed. Same with aegis, same with rites, same with traps, glyphs or sand it doesn't matter. Their sentimental text-value to you might make sense IC, but in reality that is just an excuse for something you instigate.

For example, if my character was a spirit-Bamathis worshipper and the Chak shrine was a Bama shrine, I'd still want that shrine dusted. Because it's not about RP and it's not about the God that the shrine belongs to, it's just that the party i'm competing against actually benefits more from it.

About repercussions? If you are the sort of guy that enjoys being hunted, because that too can be fun at times. By all means, be hunted. If you are not, make it clear. Issuing is the easiest way to do it. (Which has happened for how many times now?) I got issued not even for PKing someone but for only making a threat of pking someone and they felt uncomfortable while playing the game. That was my cue to not with interact them in a similar way ever again. And I am being more careful with my tells, definitely.

Go defend your aegis, your shrine, your strategically important entrenchment when's it's under attack. Talk to to those players post-combat OOC that if they wish to partake in a grudge RP, revenge arc that might spiral into or begin as jumpscare PK. You think being order enemies/being hunted are punishment? I'm sure there are many characters in this game who wear the statuses and memories with pride. But don't just do it when it's clear that people aren't actually into it and especially when you give them a clear OOC reason to do what they did.
    BenedictoTetchtaArathNisaviSeurimas
    edited April 2021
    Saltz said:

Talk to to those players post-combat OOC that if they wish to partake in a grudge RP, revenge arc that might spiral into or begin as jumpscare PK.

This is an abysmal idea. We shouldn't be establishing the precedent of something like "PK cause should be negotiated OOC between two players otherwise it's invalid."

ArathNisaviDrystinTeani
  • edited April 2021
    If we shouldn't be doing that, then we shouldn't be feeling upset, when our cause is found invalid because it was decided OOC afterwards in an ISSUE. Because it's simple really, if you don't draw the lines with the people you play the game with, then someone else has to draw them for you.

edit: And that's my last post here, have fun.

My response in this post is to the original version of Tetch's argument which was just this: "PK cause should be negotiated OOC." Post-edit, it's an entirely different argument with "Otherwise it's invalid." And that's definitely not what my suggestion is aiming to achieve, anyways.
    TetchtaNisaviDrystinArathIllikaal
    edited April 2021
    "Negotiate PK OOC with other players for each individual case" and "sometimes people break the rules and/or go too far and an ISSUE needs to be filed" are two entirely separate ideas, and the first one does not preclude the second. Bad, bad, bad, bad take. Baaaaad take. Nowhere in this conversation did, I think, anybody say that ISSUEs are bad and shouldn't happen under any circumstances.

NisaviArath
  • That's not my take though, that's your take.
    We shouldn't be establishing the precedent of something like "PK cause should be negotiated OOC between two players otherwise it's invalid."

You stretched it to that point and you are over-reacting to it, lol.

If you are stepping on grey zones where OOC motivations are taking priority negotiating what you do with other players has merit. It literally has 0 downsides to just talk to them. Instead of you know, getting issued over and over and over again for doing the same thing over and over and over again to the point that it has to be put in a help file. But you do you do, I guess.
    TetchtaNisaviArath
    "My take is actually your take, in spite of the clear evidence to the contrary"

Nisavi
  • edited April 2021
    Two parties will never consent to a "both sides must agree on PK cause", if that's what you're inferring, Saltz.

To also be fair, I also had multiple issues filed for the same thing in the past and all were dismissed in my favor. People can say that they weren't all they want, but I wasn't punished for my actions despite the multiple issues that had been filed regarding Orrery and retaliating for people going after my aegis. I was not issued any warnings either. In all instances, I was told that I was allowed to do it within a reasonable time frame. I could not, for example, go after you two OOC weeks later for it. What ended up happening, and why I'm upset about it, is that the parties involved knew the decisions that had been historically reached -- and issued for it anyway, in the hopes that the Pools would change their mind this time. After four issues, they finally did it. What bothers me the most isn't that the Pools changed their mind, it's that people have decided that weaponizing issues is better than actually trying to find ANY sort of IC resolution. You know, that thing that HELP ISSUES literally says you're supposed to do before issuing someone over something.

The reality is that two parties will never consent to a "hunter/hunted" situation if one of them is generally recognized as a better fighter than the other. Case in point is the Hunting Grounds. I rarely ever get challenged by people in there, but someone who doesn't involve themselves in PK like Tekias who goes in there for milestones? People go in there all the time to go after him. It's a case of: "people feel uncomfortable punching above their weight class" but also ego. I've talked about this multiple times in the past where people are too afraid to let their characters fail, where they set themselves up with unrealistic images for their character like being a badass combatant and knight, but they're not known for that at all within the conflict mechanisms that exist within the game, and I'm sorry that mechanics trumps roleplay in this. We're not an RPI. However, when I heard from someone that will go unmentioned that two people were electing to not play the game because I was going to jump them, that tells me that their ego and self-perception of their character is more important than literally letting themselves be bored/take any consequences for their own actions.
    TetchtaArath
    edited April 2021
    Saltz said:
    About repercussions? If you are the sort of guy that enjoys being hunted, because that too can be fun at times. By all means, be hunted. If you are not, make it clear. Issuing is the easiest way to do it. (Which has happened for how many times now?)

No. Just... no. This is a game where there are supposed to be consequences.

If you can't handle conflict within a roleplaying game, then don't stir the pot. If you don't enjoy being hunted, don't do something that might end up with you being hunted, like assisting in destroying something. Don't act and then issue when the consequences of your actions turn out to be something you didn't like. That kind of "we're all winners" mentality shouldn't be part of this game. There has to be consequences for actions.

If you don't want to engage in a longer back-and-forth conflict after some kind of altercation, try to solve this by communicating on your own first (ooc tell or message saying "I get that you want to fight, but for me it was a one time kind of thing and I'd rather not continue"). If the other person persists, try one more time, to make sure they're not a unicorn (sometimes they are), and if that doesn't work, use the ISSUE command. The help file even says to try to sort things out on your own first, doesn't it?

If you got issued for an IC death threat, the person used the issue command a bit too readily, in my honest opinion. Communicate first. Issue when all other ways fail. 

ArathTetchtaNisaviSaidennRhyotEleneIllikaalNonatea
    edited April 2021
    Yeah, seriously, dicey roleplay and emotes require consent, that's 100% good and valid. PK and other forms of mechanical consequences aren't quite the same thing, and it's super silly to act like they are, especially since they're inherently less damaging and prone to abuse (the abuse in PK is mostly in over-PKing, which, yeah, that's the sorta thing we issue over, for good reason.) You opt-in to PK and potentially-violent consequences for your IC actions by logging on and interacting with folk.

NisaviSaidenn
  • edited April 2021
    The thing is, I never argued that actions shouldn't have consequences nor that all PK should happen with preceding OOC negotations, but somehow through some subjective hyperbole it's perceived as I did and here we are.

I'll try one final time to explain my point of view but I really don't have the forum stamina to keep going at this.

As far as I understand, the argument that's laid out is this. "They attacked Nisavi's aegis." = Action, "Them being called out for a duel or hunted over it." = Consequence.

This, I disagree with it. In my eyes, the action is the first offensive move. Which is dropping the aegis at that very spot, and consequence is it being contested. Action-reaction, and it's over. That's where that content you asked for ends, and a new one begins. You can't pretend your actions to that point do not exist and just claim cause because people reacted to you and you can't say* what they did, was just the instigation.

For example, if you attacked a shrine and people defended it against you. That's all the content you could ask for. You don't then get to hunt people because they stood up against you. That makes no sense, to me at least. Or even better yet, if Nisavi attacked a shrine, got defended then left. Then dropped an aegis at the shrine for the next time he attacks it. And if that aegis* got contested. Does he have a cause on the people that try to clear the aegis? That example is as identical as it could get to this Orrery incident.

So in my eyes, you've no cause whatsoever in that situation. But I'm not the administration, so I'll just say, you are in a spot subject to administrative approval for your action because it's addressed in an issue. The thing I firmly believe with the issues is, (This is more directed at @Teani.) sure sometimes the reason you get issued for feels off. Sometimes, people go through rough days in their lifes and project their grievances into the game. Not the first time it has happened nor the last time it'll ever happen. But still, they issue people because they are uncomfortable in the game. That alone calls for some introspection from the issued party, it's not about winning or losing the issue as some people seem to make it all about. It's about empathy.

So, yes. If I am in a spot in which I've no cause for PK and I've had past experiences with involved parties being upset with my actions and on top of that I'm also worried about missing out on good RP/PK opportunity. I'd reach out to them and talk it out OOC before doing anything. That's as sound as an advice could get, imo. And I stand by it, still.

If you read my posts this far and none of this still makes sense to you, at least thank you for putting the effort to come this far and we can agree to disagree.

edit: corrected some words.