What RP Skills would you like to see added to your favorite class?

TetchtaTetchta The Innocent
Pretty short prompt, but classes like the Syssin have incredibly sexy RP skills at their disposal that almost no other class does (and I'd argue NO other class has as many), and so here's an official idea thread for what skills you'd like to see added to your class of choice.

MairaLinAloli

Comments

• TetchtaTetchta The Innocent
    Okay usually I'm butt at coming up with these, but I just thought that several classes could do with some personal echoes (that can either be configged to be turned off or have them be opted-into with a skill) that's sorta like the elemental brands. Examples:
    • Carnifex sometimes get whiffs of information from their captured souls (emotions like fear/confusion, occasionally little snippets of a vague history)
    • Teradrim should be able to attune to the pillars/get messages/emotions from the imprisoned kings.
    • Being able to visit related planes would be...something, albeit a little risky.
    • Monks being in crowded areas (cities) getting things breaking through their telepathy boundaries/visions against their will of like couples fighting, someone judging someone else, etc.
    • Monks getting flash images of NPCs they kill being afraid/confused/in pain.
    • I dont' know enough about Sciomancer RP/lore but maybe the feeling of being drawn closer to shadow/insanity?
    That's just a few off the top of my head that would add a lot of RP flavor to the experience of PLAYING a class.

Galilei
  • LinLin Blackbird The Moonglade
    This is a question I've wondered about time and time again and I can't quite come up with an easy answer. I'm not a huge fan of the ambience passives - they'll be cool for a week or two but I can't see anyone caring about the same messages past that point. 

Syssin remains one of the best RP-oriented classes because its flavor skills and utility skills all inform how the character interacts with the environment.

Sign: an alternative means of communication. An equivalent to another class might be a special language, like giving Zealots use of Coronal, or maybe Ascendril being able to encode messages in resonating crystals. 

Evade: besides the combat implications, this one is useful for allowing you to set the scene with regards to how you enter or leave the room, by allowing you to easily omit the enter/exit message without having to set up other means of stealth.

Palm: gives you another option for giving an item to another player, one of the most ubiquitous actions in the entire game. It wouldn't be enough to give another class something similar - instead I'm pointing it out as an example of the class expanding on something completely fundamental. 

Forging: being able to make a letter look like it came from someone else is immense. Yet another game changer.

Usually when ideas for class flavor get thrown around, it's always some hyperspecific concept that informs the lore of the class, but in practice, gives the player one activity that doesn't vary much. The strength of the Syssin lies in how it changes the way a player moves and communicates. A Syssin doesn't have to look or sound the same as anyone else, but they also get fine control over how far they can take that concept.

To top it all off, the class fantasy is one that is incredibly easy to design around - that of the archetypal thief or rogue. Although there's more to a Syssin than being a thieving scoundrel, the core of their identity has been fleshed out in fantasy since fantasy was a genre.

This is why unless you can come up with ideas that change up the every day ways in which you get around, no class will really match the Syssin for cool factor. 
    Tetchta
  • TetchtaTetchta The Innocent
    You're depressingly correct.

• AloliAloli Between Books
    edited February 2021
    I hope I don't sound too nerdy with this... A long time ago (maybe 10 or 12 years ago) I had suggested to the Admins back then to consider creating skills similar to those in the Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson. There's Allomancy, Feruchemy, and Hemalurgy.

I think they would be a wonderful addition to the environment of the game and very cool breath of fresh air. They could perhaps be an addition to existing classes or as classes of their own or as factions/packs that even guilded people can still join and access.

Example of some of the metals used in Allomancy:

And if it's a matter of rights, why not send a lovely letter to the author mentioning the desire to use those names which -could- potentially get Aetolia even more exposure. I hope you consider :)
    Between what is said and not meant, and what is meant and not said, most of love is lost. - Khalil Gibran
    MairaArchelausRhine
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    Sciomancers should, for example, be able to do more with Shadow than using it for combat. There are a few neat things already, though there could be some more. 

Having a portable humgii is pretty awesome, and makes sense since Shadow is destructive.

I feel like controlling the level of darkness in the room should be possible, either with drawing shadows in to make it light or adding various levels of darkness from dim to pitch black.

Using shadow's destructive powers to char a letter would be neat.

Maybe even some kind of communicative or visual skill, like being able to leave a message in the darkness or sense someone disturbing the shadows as they move through it if one is attuned to it.

Also, screaming into the void should be a thing to alleviate frustrations and bring general peace of mind. 

• I'd love to see things like making/removing light, ambient temperature/weather changing abilities and things like that in Ascendril. Things that use the Elements.

TeaniAloli
  • edited February 2021
    I would love to see more spy themed skills for syssin. For example, a hypnosis skill that causes the target to unknowingly periodically report various information to you such as their current location, anyone who is in the room with them and anything that is said.

Your hypnotic command compels Validan to communicate in a distant monotone, "I am with Kalena, Eoros, and Benedicto."

Your hypnotic command compels Validan to communicate in a distant monotone, "Kalena just said: I like turtles."
    Haven
  • @Drystin So you want people to roleplay being hypnotized?
  • AolinAolin Inside a transdimensional bakery
    I think he means the person wouldn't realize it, you'd just get messages including information like that.
    Drystin
  • GUILD STYLE SCROLLS

Hear me out!

It's common for guild progression (usually gr2 to gr3) to be split into paths based on different interests. In the Carnifex, for example, we have Slaughter, Scholar, Religion and Lore.

I think it would be SUPER COOL if gaining gr3 in a guild granted you a style scroll based on the path you chose for advancement. I think it would make sense for guilds that want to participate to submit orgreqs for something like this, but I did want to post somewhere more people than shadow web would see.

In *video* games features like style scrolls are usually introduced to the player in some sort of readily available way to whet the whistle for potential further coolness. In Aetolia you're only exposed to style scrolls if you happen to be paying attention to someone else bashing or you get a promo. Took me at least a month to notice them!

SeurimasArchelausVharenSibatti
  • PhoeneciaPhoenecia The Merchant of Esterport Somewhere in Attica
    Almol said:
    GUILD STYLE SCROLLS Hear me out! It's common for guild progression (usually gr2 to gr3) to be split into paths based on different interests. In the Carnifex, for example, we have Slaughter, Scholar, Religion and Lore. I think it would be SUPER COOL if gaining gr3 in a guild granted you a style scroll based on the path you chose for advancement. I think it would make sense for guilds that want to participate to submit orgreqs for something like this, but I did want to post somewhere more people than shadow web would see. In *video* games features like style scrolls are usually introduced to the player in some sort of readily available way to whet the whistle for potential further coolness. In Aetolia you're only exposed to style scrolls if you happen to be paying attention to someone else bashing or you get a promo. Took me at least a month to notice them!
    So, Sentaari have something like this already, and as far as I know, should still be a thing. When you reach a certain rank in the guild, you get access to a guild specific style scroll for Tekura (I think it's Tundrol, I forget).

Almol