Heavy automation

Combat, and gameplay in Aetolia in general relies very heavily on automation.

As I began work on my auto target caller, automated tumble stopping and automated aegis usage after adding another area to my autobasher, it struck me that there's not much execution involved in Aetolia, specifically its PVP. There's so much tracking and so many ways to track just about everything that theoretically, there's very little reason for user input to be involved.

I think that there's not much these days that separates a skilled PVPer from someone who uses a skilled PVPers system. I'm not saying there's nothing, I'm just saying the gap is smaller than it ever has been.

I don't really want to write a wall of text about this, I just wanted to say that while I understand many people get a thrill out of the preparation/scripting part of Aetolian PVP, the reliance on heavy automation has been grating on me lately compared to how things used to be.

How about you?
TeaniSaidennDrystinOonaghEphiDarim

Comments

• TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    I completely agree that there is too much automation in many things in the game. I can still remember the thrill I got from that very first PK I managed to pull off in the early days, where I finally managed to use the macros/key bindings in the right order, obtaining a venom lock, and won the fight. I was -DANCING- in my room in the middle of the night. Literally. I can feel some pride, some joy from the fact that I have managed to get an offensive system up at all, and that I can help kill others with it, even if I'm not good enough to beat all the automated systems out there.

I have tried someone else's AI system, but it felt... distant, surreal. It felt like I wasn't really playing the game as much as watching someone else play it for me, and the victory wasn't remotely as sweet. Not to mention, it feels a bit disheartening seeing previous non-combatants suddenly gain tremendously on the battlefield because they received some system or another with a kill-button, knowing it will be very hard for me to match without doing the same myself.

I do think, though, that it might be difficult to change this?

SaidennEphi
  • edited August 2020
    With cure orders being known and predictive, it is easy to code logic to have PvP be automated, especially with the power of Mudlet. I know Aetolia is not singular in its automation within IRE these days, but it definitely feels that it is the most accepted and used.

With auto-bashing, auto-PvP, auto-calling, auto-leylines, auto-questing... it often feels like I'm not playing with other people but I'm playing with their bots and hoping that they are looking back to the screen to see if their chat capture noticed my tell/say/emote to them if I attempted to interact with them while they paused between areas or otherwise.

The amount of PvP automation also has another impact: Concealing kill-paths even from those who are wanting to learn your class. Since combat is automated and those who fight use logic paths within their AI, I have found it is absolutely pulling teeth to get someone willing to walk me through a class' kill path for fear of their logic being revealed, let alone giving me a snippet of code to get me started on making something for myself. I think this is why, in large part, Sect is the same handful of people, it is extremely hard for new people who are not given an offense to break into it - those who have the offense don't really teach. I know there are exceptions (@Rhyot and @Ayuna), but the path to kill is hidden like an Illuminati secret.

Please correct me if I'm wrong in the last impression, I would love to be wrong and know people are teaching others and helping others learn to code and outlining kill methods in a way that help both the coding-inclined and not. I think more people who PvP, both groups and solo, are a better thing.

Tangent threatening to run off-topic aside, I reiterate: I often feel like I'm just playing with monitored bots instead of people.

edit: I do use an automated offense for Sect, I don't want to leave that out. As well, I HAVE macros set up that do work to unravel that I can use, but I don't at the moment because with everyone else a bot, hard to keep up trying it manually, yeh?
    SavasKanivara
  • I don't mind coding my offense personally but what irritates me is that firstaid is so limited. It covers a lot, but it could be better so that more intelligent handling of focus, renew, tree, etc. can be done without code.

It also handles some defenses already too, so it would be nice if that was expanded so that players could also just defup without relying on a system. 
    TetchtaDarim
  • TetchtaTetchta The Innocent
    edited August 2020
    Savas said:

...the reliance on heavy automation has been grating on me lately compared to how things used to be.

What game were you playing? I'm not trying to be flippant, but Aetolia (and pretty much IRE in general) has always been heavily automation/script reliant in PVP and various other fields. I'm baffled more at the belief that this is somehow new.

I will agree that it can be daunting though, and honestly the only reason I'm even REMOTELY considering even MAYBE getting into PVP is because I actually know how to code now, and there is a small part of me that thinks it's weird when people who have not really put any work into their own systems (either in coding or route/meta planning) are proud of their PVP abilities.

It's frustrating, but a reality of Aetolia and I dunno what to really add on top of it other than it's always been that way and I don't see it changing.

• Automated offenses were pretty unheard of a solid decade ago, at least by me. I know Acino and maybe a couple others were rocking an AI, but most people that I knew were just using automated curing and manualing. Heck, discernment wasn't always a thing.
    TetchtaTeani
    Ah, that makes sense. That said, FIRST AID wasn't a think X Years Ago and it used to be that a proper curing automated system would get you a huge advantage in a fight, so my perspective is that the meta of automation has shifted off of curing onto offense. But I can see what you're getting at.

• I don't really have any effective solutions that could be implemented. I've just been feeling a little unsatisfied lately and wanted to gauge the community.

I guess we could always ditch discernment and/or semi-randomize some cure orders.

I have a feeling more people would be unhappy with this than otherwise, though.
    TetchtaSaidenn
  • In talking with people, I think the issue is less the automation, and more the creep on entry level for PvP. What was once the entrance barrier for skills, artifacts, and coding knowledge is now MUCH AND FAR BEYOND what it was "back in the day". No longer do we look in awe at someone who has a con artifact or a sip artifact or even artifact pipes. Instead, we ask, "Why DON'T you already have artie pipes, con, sip, enhance if you plan to PvP?"

I think that goes back to @Teani's point in people being given systems and that. The coding-knowledge creep has gone up in terms of requirements for entry level that sometimes it is just easier to give someone something rather than take the time to teach them what is felt is needed to just START to PvP.
    TetchtaIazamat
    I was just chatting in web about this and, in all honesty, I get the frustration. It's never sat right with me that in order to be a real PVPer that you either have to learn how to code in a programming language, or you have to know someone who does. PVP knowledge goes a long way, but without the ability to implement it into competative action, it's utterly useless.

It'll never seem correct to me that in order to play a core facet of a game, you MUST learn how to code. In fact, learning how to code has only made it seem more weird to me hahahaha. But it's a huge draw to Aet on the other hand and I can also get how making the right system would be really satisfying.

The only thing I can think that would "mitigate" this is to have player-run orgs and stuff that work on an honor system where people fighting agree to only use aliases or something. Wouldn't be able to police it tho.

• There are some good automation busters already. Blackout, for example. Adding a few more might be worthwhile. For example, add an affliction that blocks just discernment. Or, add a defense that randomizes the next cure, or certain cures (with no discernment).

That said, this could also just artificially widen the gap between low code fighters and high code fighters. Even blackout or thin blood are theoretically trackable with some clever coding. Nerfing discernment or randomizing cures may just make automation more clever, rather than less effective or pervasive.
    Didi has expressed her esteem of you for the following reason: Smart organized leader.
    Experience Gained: 47720 (Special) [total: 2933660]
    Needed for LVL: 122.00775356245
    TetchtaTeani
    edited August 2020
    Saidenn said:

...sometimes it is just easier to give someone something rather than take the time to teach them what is felt is needed to just START to PvP.

To build off of this/reinforce it, almost every time I've tried to write my own stuff in Aetolia, if it was related to PVP, I get told "why didn't you just download X, Y, Z." Swarm was an example (it's okay guys, everybody has it, we can stop pretending like it doesn't exist). I wanted to code my own targeting system for group combat because it's fun for me, and got talked down to for wanting to do so.

I've seen similar stuff re: Sunder/Darkside/whathaveyou. Just as often, people who want to get into PVP and are interested in starting from the ground up are more or less directed away from it because it's inconvenient.

Saidenn
  • Unpopular opinion: I miss random curing orders from Achaea. I felt like you had to code actual curing to handle it, and were able to situationally adjust based on what was happening.

I also miss trample/vivisect and bard class but thats another story. Also tracking monk macros on limbs based on the amount of times you hit, instead of a fancy percentage readout. In retrospect, I know if we changed this stuff it would end up a reee celerity discussion, but maybe Keroc was onto something with the changes, since I know many people like the hiding changes now....save for syssin...but maybe some syssin.
    DrystinSaidenn
  • I think random curing order, while annoying, added in a lot more fun and a lot more thrill to PvP when I played in Achaea. Sometimes you would win against that person who is considered AMAZING GOD-TIER cause an aff ticked at just the right time or their curing grabbed the wrong one out of the kelp/goldenseal/bloodroot stack and you got the kill.

Yes, on the flip-side, it is frustrating that RNG can murder you, but it definitely adds in a bit of 'luck', which in small doses, is a GOOD thing for a game to have. While I know it is not in practice, on paper, anyone could follow the logical code of afflictions and determine a winner of a bout s'long as they knew their curing priorities. And what fun is there to be had (for most people) in basically mapping logic trees?
  • edited August 2020
    Savas said:

I don't really have any effective solutions that could be implemented. I've just been feeling a little unsatisfied lately and wanted to gauge the community.

I guess we could always ditch discernment and/or semi-randomize some cure orders.

I have a feeling more people would be unhappy with this than otherwise, though.

It wouldn't really reduce automation either. Achaea does this and still has people who have offenses that do smart predictions on what you still have, so there's just a wider disparity between those who have these kinds of systems and those who do not. Plus, it'd require some changes to how a lot of our offenses presently work in my opinion.
    EscelikaEhtias
  • edited August 2020
    Automation requirement also depends a lot on the design of the class you are playing, if your offense is all about smart affliction loading. I don't know how you can decide to pick 1/8 affs for the preparation part of your attack, then your attack out of possible 10+ choices, then your followup attack which also afflicts with 1/10 affs, every 3 seconds. While also keeping an eye open for certain affliction combinations on your target.

Even if your kill condition is to get a few class specific uncurable affs that gate your insta. Then that's pretty straightforward and easy to get around it with a few bindings, but even that's only to get your offense going. Special conditions like tumbling, reacting to target's vital levels and tracking the offense of your opponent to react to their tricks, parrying correctly etc. Things add up really fast. Idk how one can deal with those, with 'skill' alone.

To me, currently, the actual skillful thing to do is to pilot the automation correctly. Depending on the fight you're partaking in. Because an almighty, superior route against *everyone* doesn't exist.
  • Tetchta said:

Saidenn said:

...sometimes it is just easier to give someone something rather than take the time to teach them what is felt is needed to just START to PvP.

To build off of this/reinforce it, almost every time I've tried to write my own stuff in Aetolia, if it was related to PVP, I get told "why didn't you just download X, Y, Z." Swarm was an example (it's okay guys, everybody has it, we can stop pretending like it doesn't exist). I wanted to code my own targeting system for group combat because it's fun for me, and got talked down to for wanting to do so.

I've seen similar stuff re: Sunder/Darkside/whathaveyou. Just as often, people who want to get into PVP and are interested in starting from the ground up are more or less directed away from it because it's inconvenient.
    FWIW, if I gave off a "but why??" vibe about that, it's because auto-callers need to be standardized and widely-used to be most effective. The more people make their own, the more likely it becomes that there are breaking variations between the modules. I'd be happy to have people contribute - been thinking of putting it on GitHub, honestly - if there's a desire to tinker and/or improve it faster and/or in ways I've not thought up.
    (Congregation): Iosyne says, "I made a cup."

Horkval are a feature...
  • The vast increase in automated systems/tracking is staggering from what I remember years ago. There used to be just Xarian with his 'AI' Esque offense, then a few more people started to figure out how to code in relatively effective tracking (before discernment existed, I had a decent setup in zmud/CMUD before). So to say removing that would change much - it just makes coding more of a hassle - because it CAN be worked around, maybe not 100%, but you would see a bigger difference in combatant levels of whoever is the fastest to get that coding workaround going - and then shares it solely with their friends/side only.

Personally I lean towards everyone at least being on equal curing, firstaid does a good job of at least closing the gap from what I've seen. Heck, I had paid for Citadel/Fortress before so I could focus on coding my offense/illusion proofing stuff only before. As far as giving away offenses - I do tend to hold some of my scripts tight to my chest, more out of 'I don't really have the free-time to debug it for everyone' (<3 you Stine for Sunder support :) ) than anything. And also because the way I tend to code gets relatively integrated - BUT, I don't see why anyone should be against talking strategy 'if they have this, you should try to do this, etc', that shouldn't really be a secret. I looked over forums to check out the Combat Class guides thread and was dismayed to see it..completely empty. I kind of wish we could revive that? Especially for new players so they can get a better idea of WHAT each class is/how it mechanically works without having to just dump lessons/credits into it and find out they hate it.

Ultimately how the person reacts/their system reacts can be a game-changer in a fight if they're on equal footing - ala staying put in the room the entire time is not necessarily the best strategy, or knowing when to reset or change up tactics based on how ahead/behind you're getting. You could go through the roof trying to code a full AI for these things, but honestly having a few separated attack routines that focus on specifics for the situation and altering manually seems better to me. Then just having a few captures to see when someone leaves/enters so it isn't lost in spam and react accordingly.

I started getting into Paladin fighting with Asilient's help long ago with an Oninput script to just manually chain venoms in DSK(was it DSK back then? I can't even remember), with echoes to call out what was going on, etc. That worked fine back then when most people's curing was..awful (mine included) Arguably it could still work just fine, as long as you have a clear indication of what they have/don't have ala tracking - I don't see a reason why you necessarily have to have it fully automated, if only for ease. I have my Lycan stuff setup in Keypad macros for if I want to take over and just go manual, it can be a bit more exciting. Group fights though? Way too much going on, besides just spamming a macro to wail a particular thing, I think it's too much to try to do a measure of specific tracking without the computer doing the brunt of the work.

I'm also still figuring out LUA myself for Mudlet, I do javascript react and Adobe ExtendScript variant of it at that at work and it's..weird, so having other people's scripts to at least look over to disassemble and figure out how it works is the best way I've found to learn it. That and bugging the heck out of @Haven .

Tl;dr Ramble ramble - Automated is a partial necessity at this point, we should all be nicer to each other and share how combat works.
    HavenEscelika
  • edited August 2020
    Savas said:

Automated offenses were pretty unheard of a solid decade ago, at least by me. I know Acino and maybe a couple others were rocking an AI, but most people that I knew were just using automated curing and manualing. Heck, discernment wasn't always a thing.

10 years ago I would have been using a fully automated curing and offense system for 4-5 years already. They've been out there!

Edit: and this was before discerning and inline envenoming was a thing, even!
    Toz says, "Dishonor on you (Mjoll), dishonor on your family (Seirath), dishonor on your cow (Bulrok)"
    LinHavenTetchtaEhtiasEscelikaDarim
  • HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    I'm with @Stine on this.

All coding does for you is change your focus in the game by helping eliminate tediousness so you can focus on the more important and engaging decisions. If you already know that you have to "envenom weapon with venom;envenom weapon with venom2;DSTAB HAVEN", what difference does it actually make whether you type it out manually or not? Let's take it a step further: If you already know that in order to stick asthma on your target, you need to force them to make a curing choice between a serious upset like paralysis or falling behind with a pad like clumsiness/weariness, then what difference does it make that I spam an alias or macro to chase balance or let a script fire it? The answer is that there is none.

When you eliminate all the syntaxes and you understand the strategy you need to employ, the real focus of combat becomes watching for upsets, RNGs like dodge/other people or NPCs interrupting, and making tactical decisions like: "Do I need to call in for backup? Do I need to reset the fight? Do I need to change my tactic? Do I need to flee?" versus "Amg, why did I type GITNESS instead of FITNESS! Gahh! Curse you fat fingers!"

The struggles a lot of people face isn't really automation but usually a combination of not knowing how combat comes together and or not knowing how to execute what they do know properly. The reason for that is because the game doesn't telegraph what's happening to the user well beyond the health and stat indicators on the prompt. This in turn birthed all these coding systems to help telegraph and execute the "real important info".

And while, yes, you could theoretically try to code a system so complex that you never have to look at the screen again, you're going to lose out to the innovators more often than not.
    ¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
    TetchtaSaybreVharenChurch
    edited August 2020
    Mjoll said:

Savas said:

Automated offenses were pretty unheard of a solid decade ago, at least by me. I know Acino and maybe a couple others were rocking an AI, but most people that I knew were just using automated curing and manualing. Heck, discernment wasn't always a thing.

10 years ago I would have been using a fully automated curing and offense system for 4-5 years already. They've been out there!

Edit: and this was before discerning and inline envenoming was a thing, even!
    cheater!

Mjoll
  • Automated systems and offenses help realize other things in terms of balance. If someone has a -half- decent system with a decently solid offense but the class they choose to play (not going into it, this isn't a balance discussion) is a solid one and they start rolling people sans artifacts and such it lets people look at that and figure out ways to adjust.

Automation may suck in a lot of regards, especially if you have some top tier fighters giving out full offenses to people on firstaid but consider the fact it could be much worse if those people weren't encouraged to participate at all. Sunder and Darkside (yes both) have decent setups for group to let people jump in and feel like they are helping. This gives them the chance to see how the code works and what it can do in groups and learn from people willing to take the time to walk them through the code to set up their own offenses.
    Tetchta
  • I can only speak for myself, but I'm no stranger to coding, and the prospect of building a system for Aetolia only to watch it execute most of my attacks for me has put me off really giving the game a serious chance for a while now. I love the style of RP here, and it's possible that I'm being unfair to the game and not giving it a real shot, but continual inputs and a feeling of dynamism in combat in which I'm constantly participating feel like pretty important things to my enjoyment of PVP. I can't know for sure, but I'd wager it's like true for many other gamers as well.
    TetchtaSavas
  • HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    Eladrian said:

I can only speak for myself, but I'm no stranger to coding, and the prospect of building a system for Aetolia only to watch it execute most of my attacks for me has put me off really giving the game a serious chance for a while now. I love the style of RP here, and it's possible that I'm being unfair to the game and not giving it a real shot, but continual inputs and a feeling of dynamism in combat in which I'm constantly participating feel like pretty important things to my enjoyment of PVP. I can't know for sure, but I'd wager it's like true for many other gamers as well.

If you really wanted to do that, you could and you'd still be competitive.

You just need a queue system and an affliction tracker. Watch the AFF tracker display and hit your marcos while you're off balance to fire when your char regains balance.
    ¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
    TetchtaChurchArdentEladrianSaybre
  • Haven said:

Eladrian said:

I can only speak for myself, but I'm no stranger to coding, and the prospect of building a system for Aetolia only to watch it execute most of my attacks for me has put me off really giving the game a serious chance for a while now. I love the style of RP here, and it's possible that I'm being unfair to the game and not giving it a real shot, but continual inputs and a feeling of dynamism in combat in which I'm constantly participating feel like pretty important things to my enjoyment of PVP. I can't know for sure, but I'd wager it's like true for many other gamers as well.

If you really wanted to do that, you could and you'd still be competitive.

You just need a queue system and an affliction tracker. Watch the AFF tracker display and hit your marcos while you're off balance to fire when your char regains balance.
    That's not a bad idea. I could even use a bit of dynamic coloring on the affs to suggest follow-up attacks and help me keep up.

The thing is, it still doesn't sit well for me that people might be able to use someone else's offense to close the gap without understanding the mechanics themselves. And I do think I like the idea of randomized cure orders more. I realize this means that someone can be undone by bad luck, but it also means that reacting well when a fight doesn't go the way you were expecting becomes a skill in itself. I'm not saying that doesn't happen as things are -- I don't have the experience to have a real opinion on that -- but in a game that doesn't rely on something like, say, twitch reactions or timing dodges/parries and watching for visual cues like some 3D action games, I can't help but feel that luck-based mechanics can make things less static and more exciting.

Either way, though, I appreciate your advice. I may very well try that. I've been wanting to get into Aetolia for a while.
    Saybre
  • edited August 2020
    My system isn't even fully automated I have manual stuff that I do with keybinds that override what any script would do. That's actually how I hand resource expenditure on a lot of things really.

Being able to override your systems actually pretty important. Randomized cures becomes a coding hurdle for people more than anything else. That's been proven on most IREs. Impy we don't have a cure order and don't show random cures people still have incredibly accurate aff tracking. It just gives combat a higher barrier of entry.

TetchtaArdentSeurimasCzciennDrystinChurch
  • edited August 2020
    Ehtias said:

My system isn't even fully automated I have manual stuff that I do with keybinds that override what any script would do. That's actually how I hand resource expenditure on a lot of things really.

Being able to override your systems actually pretty important. Randomized cures becomes a coding hurdle for people more than anything else. That's been proven on most IREs. Impy we don't have a cure order and don't show random cures people still have incredibly accurate aff tracking. It just gives combat a higher barrier of entry.

I've not really gotten into PVP here or in Imperian, but in general, I imagine if there are enough different affs tied to the same cure, and you've got four of them on your enemy, for instance, then there's necessarily a 25% chance your system will guess the wrong one (or probably just not be able to know more than that one of those affs is no longer on them). So then, if you want to reapply one of them, you've got to guess which was cured, and you've potentially got to weigh the utility of different hinders against each other depending on the context/enemy, or possibly decide whether or not to just give one that they're guaranteed not to have. That's a simplified example, and IDK, maybe that wouldn't work with class/affliction/curing design here, but off the top of my head, I can't think of why it wouldn't be possible to design things like that.
  • edited August 2020
    In a 1v1 sense, you know you what you applied, if they're able to do x action you can usually know they either cured or don't have y aff. It's not entirely difficult to code just time consuming and a fair amount of checks. It's not always 100% correct but it's pretty close.

As far as afflictions go unless everything either runs on two cures total or we just make everything loki enabling absolute chaos someones going to figure out a way to track it with a degree of accuracy. Hell I played Midkemia from launch until shutdown and some of still figured out relatively decent aff tracking with only three aff pools existing so only three cures. We also had a diagnose that showed enemy affs on a really short bal/eq timer that pretty much killed the gap from tracking accurately anyways however. Different combat system entirely though since it wasn't a standard IRE.

• edited August 2020
    Randomized curing (as it is implemented in the other IRE titles) actually places a disproportionately larger burden on the defender than the attacker, as many afflictions either have secondary or tertiary messages related to their curing or effects. This skews the odds drastically in favor of correct guesses at each "random" cure, making near-perfect tracking achievable. Meanwhile, a defender attempting to target cures at a specific result remains the prisoner of ever-worsening odds. Having dealt with this for 15 years, I am quite pleased that at least in Aetolia both parties can know what to expect and stand on equal ground.
    YedanNisaviEscelika
  • edited August 2020
    Gonna be honest with some of the comments I've seen: a good system does not mean you're a good PK'er. I've seen people go full auto with scripts and stay past points in fights where they clearly should've ran and reset the fight, or mistakenly push for routes when they should be forking elsewhere against me.

The reality is that a good system will put you above those who are just using firstaid, or using a system that supports firstaid but not using any prios aside from the defaults. Good systems are those with dynamic aff prio swapping and/or different priorities for each class, but even this will not save you against good classes. Good classes are designed to eventually overwhelm you, even when you're curing optimally. The goal is to slow your opponent down enough to stall their offense while, to an extent, pushing your own. I manually adjust the routes that I'm using against an opponent based on what affs they currently have. Could I automate this? Sure, but I wouldn't trust it, as there are so many conditions to account for. Instead, I know when to swap between routes, and it works just fine for me.

Good PvPers know what other classes are capable of, they know when to run, they know when NOT to go full auto, and they know when to push. They're consistently making upgrades, reviewing logs, and trying to learn more about what other classes (including their own) are capable of. You do not need to be a good coder to get far. For example, I am not a good coder, but I know enough to work with pre-existing code and cannibalize code elsewhere and modify it towards my needs as necessary. Being a good coder just means that it's easier for you to build something from scratch that serves your specific needs and purposes, but it's not necessary.

Basically, to use an example for my point: there's a reason why someone like Fezzix is winning with Syssin while many struggle with it. It's not because of his coding ability, but because of how much he has practiced, learned, and done with the class while knowing, understanding, and making changes for his opponents as necessary.
    HawaDrystinEscelika