Artifact updates, Announce 2279

Comments

• StrungStrung Halls of Hades

@Oleis and @Razmael you should release an 'albedos disguise gem' with your next round of artifact updates. It'll sell well.

Plz no, Aetolia isn't a graphical MMO and things like age and race are not just cosmetic here. If we are going to sell people the ability to have been active when Lanos was around or to have a character who's originally from Albedos it'll be pretty meh.
    I am such an aaaalllphaaaaaarrrgh.
  • ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    We already have racial disguise gems as well as having it built in to one of the classes via masquerade.

I do disagree with the Albedos one - maybe once Albedan races are playable and they let us explore more there, but at this point in time it seems premature.
  • MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    Nerf new years OP OP
  • Yeah, what Strung said.
    I know, hardly anyone will bother to buy it, so it probably doesn't matter. And five minutes from now I'll forget it even exists, so it doubly doesn't matter.

• Rashar is about to become two hundred.

Also, while I don't hate or love the thing and am sort of careless either way, I do think there should be a way to find that stuff out somehow. Maybe a more difficult way, but man. See if I don't make a new character, buy that artifact .5 seconds later, and make myself ancient. "I was totally there for all that stuff. In phase. And lightform. And buried. That's why you didn't see me."
    Areka
    @Rashar, I think it would enable a lot of people to behave in a really annoying manner, in turn having a detrimental effect on the roleplay environment, not just directly but also psychologically. While making a way to confirm someone's real age would somewhat cure this, it would also make the artifact sort of pointless.
  • Well, I don't know that I think this artifact is going to cause psychological damage to anyone.

That being said, I can see it doing one of two things. It could allow some people to attempt some somewhat annoying RP that everyone knows is bullshit but can't -prove- is bullshit ICly. Or it could just make people disregard age in general. Which, honestly, doesn't have -that- big of an impact on the game.
    Ishin
    Rashar said:

Well, I don't know that I think this artifact is going to cause psychological damage to anyone.

That being said, I can see it doing one of two things. It could allow some people to attempt some somewhat annoying RP that everyone knows is bullshit but can't -prove- is bullshit ICly. Or it could just make people disregard age in general. Which, honestly, doesn't have -that- big of an impact on the game.

That's what I mean when I say that it would have a negative psychological effect. People might stop mentally associating age with roleplayed events or game history and I think that would be unfortunate.
    @Oleis @Razmael - would there be any chance to get a command to renumber a shelf in a shop? It's a real daunting amount of work to shift around stuff from one shelf to the next, and with the new artifact, that's 10 existing shelves to now juggle...
    Areka
  • DemarcusDemarcus Black Flagon Inn
    Based on my overwhelming response to my question in the Short Questions thread, relics weren't cutting it... make some freaking shiny as heck new shinies and... credits start selling... possibly making people realize how awesome relics are/could be... selling even more credits...

Ishin
  • PhoeneciaPhoenecia The Merchant of Esterport Somewhere in Attica
    In regards to the age artifact, the most useful thing it'd be for is for altering the ages of player kids where you end up finding a player much later down the line. That's what I'm using it for. Now I don't have to fudge the ages of Phoe's kids anymore.
    MoireanAngweOmeiStathanDemarcus
  • Except that's not true. You're changing records and falsifying documents, you're not making the person older. It's bogus, and anyone who knows how old the character is can feel free to disregard it completely.
    DraimanIshinErzsebet
  • @phoenecia That's actually a really, really good idea. Now player kids really don't have to be created/played right when they would turn 18. You could have a kid and wait another 30 IG years before playing them. I actually really like that idea.

To the people complaining about that artifact, why not just compile a huge list of characters ICly, listing everyone who still exists who you can find out about at the time of the creation of the list, then put it in a book. That way if someone shows up claiming to be 300, you'll know they're faking it. Age really isn't that important anyway. Some old characters are really immature, some young ones are really mature.

The only time age starts bothering me is when there is a 18-20 year old character who clearly knows every single thing about Aetolian history ever and talks about it like they were there. But that's really just a matter of poor alt roleplaying. The artifact shouldn't really cause that many problems I think. Plus, Phoen's idea is wonderful.
  • JensenJensen Corruption's Butcher
    18 year olds can also use it to sneak in the bars. I'm going to hve to start carding.
    DraimanIshinSetneSlypheIosyneDemarcus
  • @mephistoles Except now, it's going to be brand new 200 year old characters that knows every single thing about history and plays having been there. :P
  • PhoeneciaPhoenecia The Merchant of Esterport Somewhere in Attica
    Rashar said:

Except that's not true. You're changing records and falsifying documents, you're not making the person older. It's bogus, and anyone who knows how old the character is can feel free to disregard it completely.

Not really. Whenever Phoe had kids, I recorded the exact dates when they were born. Do you have any idea how hard it is to find players for child characters? It's hard. Several months down the line, someone contacts me saying they're interested in playing one of Phoe's kids. So, instead of having to fudge the age of someone who's supposed to have been around for a while already, we can just use the artifact to change the age to what it's supposed to be.
    IshinAngweMephistoles
  • If they play it well, and RP well, why not. If they suck at it, then don't take them seriously and don't RP with them. Actually RPing well should be more valuable, just having been around a long time.
  • I am curious, if you have the elite membership do you get 5 relics for your 100 credits? I've been thinking about getting it but I've been a bit washy about getting it so soon after starting to play.
  • No, you wouldn't get them for the standard, monthly credits, but you do get a 10% bonus on all credits purchases, so if you were to purchase 200 credits you'd get 220 credits and 11 relics instead of getting 10.
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    Well, there's three artis I just instantly purchased NO HESITATION.
    Iosyne
  • You guys realise that every new God or Goddess that appears has one of those age artis too?

"born before time was counted", my ass. I don't recall seeing you a moment ago. :p
    AuresaeSetne
  • SerriceSerrice the Black Fox
    We haven't had a new god or goddess appear in ages.

• Watch for the next one. Just HONORS random god-sounding names from time to time. When a new one appears, and you know you've already tried that one. Then it's just some 18 year old trying to be boss.
  • Areka said:

Man, directory - ya'll forgers be selling at a loss, man.

I actually love your forging stuff and pay good money for them (usually accidentally buying the wrong ones that end up sitting in my pack). The other stuff are like 1/10th the cost of yours, but no way with the same level of attention to what we need from our weapons.
    Areka
  • ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    <3
  • DraimanDraiman Dr. Drai
    Yeah those bone themed weapons were boss af. Totally had the scimitar and bow. >.>
    "You ever been divided by zero?" Nia asks you with a squint.

Ishin
  • Lim said:

Areka said:

I actually love your forging stuff and pay good money for them (usually accidentally buying the wrong ones that end up sitting in my pack). The other stuff are like 1/10th the cost of yours, but no way with the same level of attention to what we need from our weapons.
    I was going to just click 'agree' but this deserves more as there are plenty of crafters in Aet that can describe things similarly well, it's just that @Areka is (almost) the only one that bothers.

The only weapon/armour I've bought from anyone else since I discovered Areka's shop in delos, was something she didn't stock. It was a bashing specced polearm for my carni alt that I stopped playing.

So - all you other forgers out there, start working on custom descriptions. Consider themes where the weapons and armour match, and make them (looking at you, @Belgarion - you've got shops everywhere. Put some good looking stuff in them ;)
  • EleanorEleanor FOR SCIENCE
    Jensen said:

18 year olds can also use it to sneak in the bars. I'm going to hve to start carding.

As an Australian, it took me several moments of "...what?" to realise why you'd want to try to card someone who's already 18.

In other news, I can see the age arti being used for long-torpor people who want to pick up where they left off on that old alt they forgot they permanence'd. Which I don't really hate on, it'd make the 200-year-old-novice thing a little less laughable.

Does seem like it'd be most useful for particular character concepts and the child-rp thing though.

Irruel said:

Lim said:

Areka said:

I was going to just click 'agree' but this deserves more as there are plenty of crafters in Aet that can describe things similarly well, it's just that @Areka is (almost) the only one that bothers.

The only weapon/armour I've bought from anyone else since I discovered Areka's shop in delos, was something she didn't stock. It was a bashing specced polearm for my carni alt that I stopped playing.

So - all you other forgers out there, start working on custom descriptions. Consider themes where the weapons and armour match, and make them (looking at you, @Belgarion - you've got shops everywhere. Put some good looking stuff in them ;)
    Gimme a merchant's log book and I'll design forging stuff too :P