LOVE

1239240241242243245»

Comments

• KonnornKonnorn Member Posts: 270 ✭✭✭✭
    Eydis said:

I have been reading more Terry Pratchett and I gotta say, I love his writing style and the humor he casually infuses into every page. I’m gonna have to read all of the disc world now lol. 

I can really recommend the Bromeliad trilogy (also known as the Nome trilogy). It's so much fun. Woooosh.

• SilenaSilena Member, Immortal Posts: 129 Immortal
    Arbre said:

A+ for getting an older cat. The older they get, the less likely they are to get adopted. 

And this is especially a shame, when "older cat" often means older than a year. Older cats are typically less destructive than kittens, require less time and attention and socializing, and their personalities are 'set.' If anyone has a cat or dog already is has heard the bit about it's better to adopt a kitten as they adapt better - not true. You're better off getting another cat that is around the same age as your current one. Or adopting an older cat that is known to have been socialized with dogs. With kittens there's no way to know how it'll work out.

*This has been Silena's random public service announcement.
    ZailaIanthe
  • CorlinCorlin Member Posts: 108 ✭✭✭
    Silena said:

Arbre said:

A+ for getting an older cat. The older they get, the less likely they are to get adopted. 

And this is especially a shame, when "older cat" often means older than a year. Older cats are typically less destructive than kittens, require less time and attention and socializing, and their personalities are 'set.'
    The above is literally the reason that 'older' cats were all we really looked at. The cat cafe I frequent is partnered with the local humane society, so all their cats (minus the resident Manager) are adoptable, and they get cats that all run the personality gamut - my housemate and I went and spent a couple hours with the cats (over a couple days) once we were ready to adopt, and then discussed of the ones that we'd met and felt a 'click' with which would likely be happiest in our home (we're mostly quiet people and we both work odd shifts, so the cat needed to be comfy with long periods of doing very little and being left alone for six plus hours sometimes) and so far, Mayonnaise has been perfect in every respect.

Specifically, he's not much of a cat cat, so he was likely to be happiest in a single cat home, and while affectionate and obviously fond of a good chin scratch, he doesn't get too bothered when lap time ends, so we felt he'd be fine if he was left to his own devices, unlike some of the more rambunctious kitties there that would have felt motivated to get in All The Things and generally make a mess.

Plus, I love that he tells me stories from other rooms. My housemate is not super fond of that (he often works later than I do, so the cat has definitely woken him up with Tales of the Day) but we've both been quickly smitten by our furry pal.
    SilenaDidi