Question about blessings

Hey everyone,

I am wondering what things look like on the 'other side' when it comes to Divine blessings, favors, and boons and what the generally accepted etiquette is on this.

My opinion has always been that a blessing which comes from a specific deity at a certain time or event has more meaning and encouragement than one I would get for hunting/offering. However, I feel it simply rude to just ask for a blessing when you want to go hunting for a few days. Still, some people tell me that's the only way they end up having blessings to hunt - by asking in their orders. The blessings do affect your stats and gold drops in some hunting areas, so this has become something really sought after and helps in PK.

What would happen if the Gods had two different kinds of blessings?
  1. Automated and runs on how much a person offers, which results in them getting a boon, favor, or blessing, could come with a message that says it's automated and issued by that deity's priest or priestess for helping bolster their essence and shrine power?
  2. Personalized/flavored that carries more lore weight than stat support?

TL;DR Do you normally ask for blessings and pray not to get smote instead? Do you keep offering till they take notice? Do you often find yourself with multiple blessings at once?
Between what is said and not meant, and what is meant and not said, most of love is lost. - Khalil Gibran

Best Answers

• SilenaSilena Immortal
    Accepted Answer
    This is just my personal opinion and I know that not everyone in the pools agrees, but this is a worthwhile discussion:

I don't like the concept of automated blessings, for both practical and rp reasons. On the practical side, I look at both raw numbers per person and the total number of offerings, and take it all into consideration when blessing. It's not something that would be simple to automate. On the rp side... it's just more personal feeling. I like having to type out the command for each person.

I doubt non-stat blessings would ever have the same impact, regardless of lore. It might still be a neat thing to have, but mechanics generally inform rp motivations.

On asking gods, I'd imagine it depends on the god. I can remember only one person ever asking me, and I did bless them. My response would depend on 1. Who they are(order member vs random newbie) 2. Why they're asking, 3. How polite the request is, and 4. How many times they've asked before. But otherwise, I would view it as a relatively minor request, and something that any mortal is free to ask for.
    Aloli
  • Accepted Answer
    As a player, I have a tremendous amount of fun with the god my character serves in the order of. They're absolutely fantastic when they are around. I would never want to take a tool from them that makes them feel more effective or deific as a character. Having volunteered elsewhere, it sometimes feels crumby if you have no way to reward good behavior or a badass moment or whatever. I don't care too much that they don't hand me blessings like candy, because my combat viability does not necessarily reflect on them on a meta level. All that said, I would say it's thematically appropriate that gods should bless their orderheads heavily, but it's up to the volunteer clearly.

That being said and all that aside...

Blessings carry an indisputable weight as an aspect of being buffed and ready for combat. The audit bonus, the stats, both are very useful. It feels like Spirit rarely gets blessings and I feel like Shadow receives them with greater frequency based on anecdotal evidence and their own admittance to me. Maybe it's just Duiran's crowd? I don't know. I often find myself counting down the days until the season shift so I can beseech Haern again and that is frustrating. This lower frequency means I am at a mechanical disadvantage to the tune of 3000 credits. That's a lot of power.

I do not think the solution is taking away the power of blessings. That's just asking to take blessings out of a god's toolbox in a different way: if you don't replace it with something as appealing, you have diminished the power to bless and, with it, the player behind the god. Not cool. If you replace it with something else powerful, well... we'll be back in this thread next summer. :smile:

I think the solution is letting OR10 (so, theoretically, the Highest Mortal Authority if every order is structured like Omei's) able to bless people within their order, including themselves, scaling with cost and duration based on the target's order rank. Put a cooldown on it or whatever that makes it hard to keep yourself permanently blessed or else make it prohibitively costly, I don't care. I don't take credit for this idea, but figured I'd put it out there.
    Aloli

Answers

• If the blessings are going to continue to provide 2000+ of credits worth of benefits, there needs to be a way to access them that isn't dependent on a celani logging in or how they feel. There is too much worth in them to restrict them so much in my opinion.

Again suggesting the ability for an orderhead to bless the order for a given amount of time at a higher essence cost or something. 
    IazamatOonaghIesidNavaAloli
  • SilenaSilena Immortal
    Stine said:

If the blessings are going to continue to provide 2000+ of credits worth of benefits, there needs to be a way to access them that isn't dependent on a celani logging in or how they feel. There is too much worth in them to restrict them so much in my opinion.

Again suggesting the ability for an orderhead to bless the order for a given amount of time at a higher essence cost or something. 

There is an order command for blessings. The solution there might be to decrease the length of time it takes to use that power.
  • RhyotRhyot Bloodloch
    edited May 2019
    There is. Its an artifact called a Prayer mat. I have one... I just can't use it because I've been blacklisted from getting blessings from every darkie god.... not that I'd use it anyway playing a heathen.

But we do have such a special artifact available.

Edit: To show prayer mat artifact power:

READNEWS ANNOUNCE 2587

a prayer mat

With the prayer mat, using the BESEECH ability will give you a 3 day blessing, instead of a 1 day
    blessing. Only works for the owner.

Aloli
  • I thought all we could do was Boon the order/congregation? If we can give actual Blessings, great. I prefer the stat and audit bonus.
    StineNavaKalinaar
  • SilenaSilena Immortal
    Silena said:

Stine said:

If the blessings are going to continue to provide 2000+ of credits worth of benefits, there needs to be a way to access them that isn't dependent on a celani logging in or how they feel. There is too much worth in them to restrict them so much in my opinion.

There is an order command for blessings. The solution there might be to decrease the length of time it takes to use that power.
    Sorry, slight confusion. It's in the religion branch of ylem development, the divinity ability.

I will add, though, that if the problem is the value of stats, it makes more sense to remove that benefit rather than make it available to everyone 24/7. Mechanically, that should work out the same.
    FezzixZailaAloliNava
  • AloliAloli Between Books
    @Silena Thank you for answering! That's pretty much exactly how I felt about asking for a blessing: I'd have to word it right, have a good reason, and not do it so frequently so as to not become a pest.

I can see how a non-mechanical blessing would feel less significant, it was just a thought to try to bring a little balance because I feel there's more active dark than light Gods unless there's something that draws their attention. So if having two kinds of blessings might dilute the meaning of them, maybe Stine's suggestion is something to look into?

Order heads usually take it upon themselves to help replenish whatever shrine energy they lose for their Gods or motivate others to help.

The Research Divinity ability lets you get a blessing once a year. A year is a very long time nowadays, considering the number of Foci fights we can into between.

@Rhyot Thanks for reminding me about the prayer mat! Since you're saying you don't use the prayer mat, is it meant to be a 3-day blessing once a year or every 3 days?

@Fezzix: All we can do is boon the order, not the congregation, that costs shrine energy which is different from the essence pool, as I understand. When you offer a corpse you give shrine energy and essence per corpse.

I suppose the flip side of Stine's suggestion is to take that stat boosts away but that brings the question: what would be a good replacement?

Slightly sarcastic: what other options could there be if we all love blessings and the effects they give and want them all the time? Is this beginning to sound like we want a way to even out our beloved Gods doting?
    Between what is said and not meant, and what is meant and not said, most of love is lost. - Khalil Gibran
  • I would eventually probably maybe hopefully get over the 3k cr bonus if it were removed but it's sort of been here for a long time and they are a standard part of life for those of blessed enough to receive them often. I would rather they just be more accessible as a whole, because this would just be another sideways nerf to shadow.
    (Web): Toz says, "Emir's Express Evacuation and Existence Eradicator, Every Experience is Explosive - Experience the Entirety of your Existence!"
    IazamatXeniaKalinaar
    edited May 2019
    I would not want this to become another discussion on what nerfs shadow or spirits get.
    Removing the stat boots from blessings simply leaves them open to be part of other things instead of PK. One example could be adding a -very small- chance to getting higher drop rates from the new hunting system.
  • Well if you suggest taking away a passive 3k credit bonus that shadow tether regularly receives then it automatically becomes that????????????????????????????????????
    (Web): Toz says, "Emir's Express Evacuation and Existence Eradicator, Every Experience is Explosive - Experience the Entirety of your Existence!"
  • SilenaSilena Immortal
    Aloli said:

The Research Divinity ability lets you get a blessing once a year. A year is a very long time nowadays, considering the number of Foci fights we can into between.

I agree with this.
    Emir said:

Well if you suggest taking away a passive 3k credit bonus that shadow tether regularly receives then it automatically becomes that????????????????????????????????????

Is it that significant a difference between spirit and shadow blessings?
    AloliKalinaar
  • I'm going off of regular complaints I hear and see voiced from Spirit compared to the Bevenolent and Charitable Shadow Gods.

It sounds pretty awful to be a spirit player. 
    StineKalinaarNava
  • RhyotRhyot Bloodloch
    Aloli said:

Thanks for reminding me about the prayer mat! Since you're saying you don't use the prayer mat, is it meant to be a 3-day blessing once a year or every 3 days?

IIRC.... its every 3 days. There was no real long term restriction on the prayer mat. I could be wrong though, because like I said.... I have never used it, nor ever used it.

Aloli
  • VyxsisVyxsis Vyxsis
    Emir said:

I'm going off of regular complaints I hear and see voiced from Spirit compared to the Bevenolent and Charitable Shadow Gods.

It sounds pretty awful to be a spirit player. 

do shadow gods aside from ios and bama keep their people blessed a lot?

i think those two may have the bulk of order members/congregants between them, but i don't think any of the others are handing out blessings all that often? it's like once in a blue moon that i'll get one from tanix... does ivoln even exist still? uhhhh... who else again? chak is about as frequent a blesser as tanix. etc.

granted, those two quite possibly *are* blessing more frequently/for longer stretches than any spirit god - i really don't know. i only mean to point out that shadow only has two gods that are known to hand out blessings like candy.

~personally~, i don't care too much either way about blessings, but that could be because i'm not used to having them. vyx's first order was slyphe (when they were mostly not around), then she refused to join an order for a solid chunk of time when she first went shadow. now i'm in tanix's order, and the odd blessing is usually kind of a surprise. i sometimes don't realize i had a blessing until i get the message saying it wore off. the only reason i wish i (or some other order member - although, let's be real, it's basically just me) could keep the order booned is so we wouldn't lose essence from deaths. generally, though, i definitely wouldn't miss blessings all that much.

but to be clear? i think i'm pretty atypical in that regard. seems like most people are pretty attached to their blessings, and those blessings make a not-inconsequential difference for newbies desperately trying to grind their way to endgame.
    Indoran'i is back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (wolf Howl)
    An Atzob cultist says, "Is a shamatato as tasty as a potato?"
    (Tells): From afar, Mephistoles hisses harshly to you, "Hey baby, show me your ovipositor?"
    The mighty Jy'Barrak Golgotha opens his maw, catches the glowing spear in his many jagged teeth, and chomps down. The Divine spear breaks with a noise like thunder, shards toppling from the Emperor's jaws. "OM NOM NOM!" He declares, then spits the last of the ruined weapon from his lips.

Blessings make a difference for newbies trying to grind levels.
    Kalinaar
  • edited May 2019
    I have to admit, I'm not really a huge fan of having to go out of my way to RP something I'm not too terribly interested/invested in in order to gain a mechanical benefit - a mechanical benefit that ends up mattering in PvP. Speaking from experience, I don't think it adds anything to being a god (maybe a power trip, depending on the person?) and it just causes players to end up fishing for blessings. I wish we could separate the stat bonuses from blessings and have them retain whatever RP weight they have for those who enjoy it.

Edit: To make it clear, when I mentioning separating the stat bonuses out, I mean making them more accessible in another way, as has been mentioned.
    StineOonaghZailaKalinaarNava
  • EliadonEliadon Somewhere Over the Rainbow
    Silena said:

Aloli said:

I agree with this.
    Emir said:

Well if you suggest taking away a passive 3k credit bonus that shadow tether regularly receives then it automatically becomes that????????????????????????????????????

Is it that significant a difference between spirit and shadow blessings?
    I suggest an audit - anything we can reply with here is going to be questionable, but it sure as unicorns feels like Spirit folks rarely get actual blessings
    KalinaarAloliNava
  • edited May 2019
    I get more blessings for RP than I do offering to be honest.
    But I also do alot of religion RP stuff, as well as targetted RP towards Gods to get that recognition, from both Shadow and Spirit Gods.

Truth be told I have been offering to Bamathis since the last event, and have not gotten a favour yet (not that I mind, I have RP reason for offering to Bamathis currently because I vowed I would to help them regain essence after the last battle. And as Cardinal I feel it important to uphold my word.)

I pretty consistently do have a blessing from Damariel/Ethne for various deeds and things I do around the City. Which I am very appreciative for mind you, it is helpful, but even as Cardinal being only able to boon, and Order Head, only able to boon, (especially with an absent divine) I think a blessing would be more helpful especially, and if I could afford it to the Congregation and NOT just the Order ---because how do I spark Congregation activity, with an absent divine, at least there is something I can give in recognition if I can bless them.
    Saltz
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    If there was a way to separate the boost from the RP aspect, where beseeching your god for a boost is more available to everyone more frequently, I could see the RP aspect of receiving blessings leading towards an ultimate goal within an order. Consider what it was like ages ago, when becoming endgame required the assistance of a deity. If blessings were somehow tied to achieving the ability for a form similar to Chiav (Iosyne), or some other cool RP element, I think that would be pretty neat. 

Nava
  • I'm pretty
    Emir said:

I would eventually probably maybe hopefully get over the 3k cr bonus if it were removed but it's sort of been here for a long time and they are a standard part of life for those of blessed enough to receive them often. I would rather they just be more accessible as a whole, because this would just be another sideways nerf to shadow.

I started to write my own response and realized it invoked a feeling so strong and someone else already said, much more level headed, than I would have been able to do so.

This, so much of this.

• Blessings have indisputable impact on audit. Think lessers for a moment when one group targets a single player and goes full damage on them. If one side is rolling with 2-3 blessings on each of their teammates and the other side might have someone with one blessing, that has an impact. Also think newbies with no artifacts who are basically just bashing and leveling. That blessing really helps them.

That said, I've played both tethers actively and know for a fact on shadow you can almost always count on having 2 or more blessings running constantly if you're offering which I'd say is appropriate. That's not the case on spirit side for some reason. I'm not bashing either tethers gods or calling for nerfs on shadow at all  but there should be equal balance with anything that increases audit like this.
    Aloli
  • SilenaSilena Immortal
    Kalinaar said:

Blessings have indisputable impact on audit. Think lessers for a moment when one group targets a single player and goes full damage on them. If one side is rolling with 2-3 blessings on each of their teammates and the other side might have someone with one blessing, that has an impact. Also think newbies with no artifacts who are basically just bashing and leveling. That blessing really helps them.

That said, I've played both tethers actively and know for a fact on shadow you can almost always count on having 2 or more blessings running constantly if you're offering which I'd say is appropriate. That's not the case on spirit side for some reason. I'm not bashing either tethers gods or calling for nerfs on shadow at all  but there should be equal balance with anything that increases audit like this.

I don't believe there's a way to make that equal without taking it away completely, though. Tiur can't force an equal number of celani to play spirit/shadow side gods, and there's no way to predict when someone might choose to leave a role. In addition, each of the roles is played by people with a different attitude toward giving blessings, none of which is "wrong", as blessings aren't an obligation.

But I sympathize with the mechanical side of it, too, and I don't want either side to have a disadvantage in pk, for whatever reason. The problem is, if blessings were significantly easier to get(by reducing the time for divinity or allowing OH's to bless), to the point where anyone could have multiple at any time... then it'd be far less effort on those poor coders to just remove the mechanical benefits entirely. Which would still suck, at least for newbies.
    Aloli