Venom rags

From my understanding, venom rags can be made by a toxicologist. I do not know if anyine else has this issue, but trying to find a toxicologist when your rags turn to dust is always an issue. Plus as a character who likes her things unique and customized, I think venom rags should be added to a crafting skill, like tailoring. Then we can make matching vials, rags and pipes! Just my thoughts and not sure if this is doable or where I could have added this in an already made thread... what are your thoughts on custom looking venom rags?
Arbre

Comments

• VyxsisVyxsis Vyxsis
    i don't personally care *that much* about my venom rags being non-generic (although, if designed ones were available, i would certainly be more picky about which i bought), but i have to second this. venom rags are among the hardest things to find - you basically have to know somebody who's willing to make them for you. venoms are also on the scarce side, although less so.

i think this is somewhat the case with a number of things, honestly. even when there are folks with a particular mercantile skill around, they may have difficulty keeping things stocked due to commodities being limited or unavailable. i basically gave up on stocking pills because of this, and i often don't even bother making my own because of the hassle.

maybe the general drought of commodities/crafters will seem a little off-topic, but i think it's relevant: people aren't (normally) able to have multiple mercantile skills, ostensibly because the admin don't want to encourage self-sufficiency. we're meant to rely on each other. would adding the ability to make venom rags to another skill allow too much self-sufficiency? or is it perhaps unrealistic to expect players to rely on each other so much considering our population?

i don't know. i def like convenience, but i'm not fully opposed to the anti-self-sufficiency reasoning. i'm maybe just not clever enough to crack this nut.

tl;dr i'd be into venom rags being added to a trade skill (e.g. tailoring) as well as making them customizable, but i don't have high hopes for it happening.
    Indoran'i is back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (wolf Howl)
    An Atzob cultist says, "Is a shamatato as tasty as a potato?"
    (Tells): From afar, Mephistoles hisses harshly to you, "Hey baby, show me your ovipositor?"
    The mighty Jy'Barrak Golgotha opens his maw, catches the glowing spear in his many jagged teeth, and chomps down. The Divine spear breaks with a noise like thunder, shards toppling from the Emperor's jaws. "OM NOM NOM!" He declares, then spits the last of the ruined weapon from his lips.

• ZailaZaila Pacific Time
    edited May 2019
    I agree that it would be super cool to be able to customise their appearance, but I don't want to see them become a regular crafting skill. Could they be craftable by the toxicology skill and then customised after like weapons? 
     Nah, ya'll right, it makes perfect sense for them to be a regular crafting skill.

As someone who regularly stocks clean rags, I can say the the only reason I don't have them stocked more often if because of how time consuming it is to get enough cloth to make a decent batch of them. If you have the perfect timing, you can get a decent haul of 10-15 on a comm shop run, but often I'll have days-long stretches of only scraping by one or two cloth a day. That doesn't go far. Especially if you have more than JUST rags to craft.
  • The bigger issue here is that you need far more rags than you do bandages, pipes, or vials. You need more rags for a full complement of venoms than you do for all the other containers combined. Cloth is harder to come by every day.

Also, selling venoms in shops means you need to shell out 40cr for a cask per venom. Why can't shops have a fluidcache? Herbalists can sell pills from a shop cache, and I realize casks are left over from back before the FC even existed and that the administration is extremely reluctant to delete an artifact, but I'd like for the mercantile skills to be more comparable in investment versus return.
    IazamatVyxsisAlathesiaChurchXenia
  • I do not think adding them to a crafting skill is an issue at all, I mean wood crafters make vials, pipes and tinderboxes. If you think about it, making venom rags as a tailor would still not cause self reliance, not everyone has all the crafting skills. Just my thoughts though.
    Zaila
  • VyxsisVyxsis Vyxsis
    Fezzix said:

The bigger issue here is that you need far more rags than you do bandages, pipes, or vials. You need more rags for a full complement of venoms than you do for all the other containers combined. Cloth is harder to come by every day.

Also, selling venoms in shops means you need to shell out 40cr for a cask per venom. Why can't shops have a fluidcache? Herbalists can sell pills from a shop cache, and I realize casks are left over from back before the FC even existed and that the administration is extremely reluctant to delete an artifact, but I'd like for the mercantile skills to be more comparable in investment versus return.

while we're at it, forging hammer should go, too, and with its effects folded into, idk, transcending the skill? so smiths can actually stock weapons... you know... that we need...
    Indoran'i is back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (wolf Howl)
    An Atzob cultist says, "Is a shamatato as tasty as a potato?"
    (Tells): From afar, Mephistoles hisses harshly to you, "Hey baby, show me your ovipositor?"
    The mighty Jy'Barrak Golgotha opens his maw, catches the glowing spear in his many jagged teeth, and chomps down. The Divine spear breaks with a noise like thunder, shards toppling from the Emperor's jaws. "OM NOM NOM!" He declares, then spits the last of the ruined weapon from his lips.

MjollIazamatChurch
  • Fezzix said:

The bigger issue here is that you need far more rags than you do bandages, pipes, or vials. You need more rags for a full complement of venoms than you do for all the other containers combined. Cloth is harder to come by every day.

^^^^

This is actually 75% of the reason I'm not more inclined to actually play Sentinel, despite having a system written for it, when I could just roll something like Shaman, Monk, Zealot or Luminary instead and not worry about venom rags.
    VyxsisKalinaar
  • I'm with you guys on that one. I'm still baffled that they didn't make it so only a single venom rag was needed and applying a venom caused it to go from FC > rag > weapon and then leave the rag clean again. With a decay time of 10 to 15 days, people would still need them often enough to offset the fact that you only need one.
    VyxsisArbreKalinaar
  • ZailaZaila Pacific Time
    Alathesia said:

I do not think adding them to a crafting skill is an issue at all, I mean wood crafters make vials, pipes and tinderboxes. If you think about it, making venom rags as a tailor would still not cause self reliance, not everyone has all the crafting skills.

That's a good point, I'd forgotten that part.

I revise my position: Adding them to tailoring seems perfectly reasonable. If anything MORE reasonable than being in toxicology because that means that a toxicologist would have to coordinate with a tailor (or have both skills) to make full use of the skill just like with vials or bandages
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    Could make a more durable version with tailoring or some sort of concept of lasting longer or holding more etc
    ZailaAlathesia
  • Would be nice if the arti rags could hold like 5 or so venoms on it to make the cost more comparable to arti pipes, vials and bandages