Different combat event ideas

I was originally going to put this on one of the announce posts but it didn't seem right as I'm not trying to complain about the current event selection.

For all of the combat aspects that Aetolia tries to emphasize or has, I am surprised that there are not more creative combat events put forward. There are 4 FFA style events with varying gimmicks and only 1 team event, despite how much of a team focus Aetolia usually has.

Ideas that I've been rattling around:

1) Divine Order Champions FFA and/or shadow champs vs spirit champs.
- Draw attention to an otherwise very seldom mechanically used role

2) City v City v City v City with the caveat being that you can only include 3 people and they have to be guilded and using the class of that guild.
- IE Spines would be 1 guilded Syssin using Syssin, 1 guilded Archivist using Archivist, 1 guilded Sciomancer using Sciomancer, etc.
- Bloodloch could use Dominion as its third class since it is part of the city, RIP Indorani
- Yes, I am aware this flies in the face of 'BUT YOU CAN BE ANY CLASS IN ANY GUILD', but it gives a different dynamic to consider and may lead to interesting picks.

3) (City leader+ City War Min) or (City War Min + City Security Min) 2v2v2v2
- w/brawl mist if 5+ people are in a room to discourage teaming down the tether line

4) A bit more involved, but, a team of 6 people per city. There would be 3 rounds - a 3v3v3v3, a 2v2v2v2 and a FFA.
- None of the people could overlap and you would have to pick your team/round assignments before seeing the other teams.
- Each round gives 3/2/1/0 points to 1st/2nd/3rd/4th respectively.
- Strategy and theory crafting of what teams may come, how the other cities may dish out their people, etc.
NavaKalinaar

Comments

• TiurTiur Producer
    I do rather like #2. Is there interest in that widely?
    AloliOonaghNava
  • BenedictoBenedicto Tentacles Errywhere!
    edited April 2019
    I like the idea of more team mechanics being used in a capacity similar to the The Duel. Either tether or cross tether teams of 2 submit themselves for the a grand melee where each pairing is seeded and then you duke it out until the final 2 pairs battle it out for victory.

It allows for a variety of tactics to be used amongst classes without having to worry about it turning into the usual Shadow vs Light teams that you would get in an open FFA.

I do fully anticipate that the City Champs 2v2 is going to wind up being a Shadow vs Light 4v4 which disappoints me, even if it wouldn't necessarily suprise me.
    Aloli
  • RhyotRhyot Bloodloch
    Even if you did #2, it would turn into the same thing that Benedicto said. It would turn into a Shadow v Light 6v6... which ultimately just turns into who can do more damage the quickest (think ylem battles).

I like the idea of more team mechanics, but I can't help but think that so long as we have this distinguished separation of "my side has to win at all costs".... we'll never really see good small team mechanics rather than side v side mechanics.

• edited April 2019
    I'll be open to idea #2 when you better spread out utility among tethers. Wisp and Isolate are ridiculous. Get one representative of each class and have a 3v3v3v3, and the lifer side has far better synergy and ways to disrupt the enemy team. Shaman, luminary, monk, and sentinel? Sure, dark side has Archivist, but if you isolate web calls to that archivist and kill it, we're neutered.
    MjollIazamatVyxsisRijetta
  • Benedicto said:

I do fully anticipate that the City Champs 2v2 is going to wind up being a Shadow vs Light 4v4 which disappoints me, even if it wouldn't necessarily suprise me.

yeeeeaaaaahhhh uhhhhhh i was alone for most of the brawl and bloodbath, but i kept getting chased around by gank squads (esp in the former). during survivor, it seemed like stine tried to kite a bunch of aggro mobs into the room where me and fezz were holed up. i missed the FFA entirely so i can't comment. the 2v2v2v2 tho... when it actually started, mjoll and i were in a different section of the arena for quite awhile before finally entering the room where eno and duiran were trying to gank spines.

like, i get it, we all have our jerky moments, but something something removeth the plank from thine own eye something something... <.<
    Indoran'i is back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (wolf Howl)
    An Atzob cultist says, "Is a shamatato as tasty as a potato?"
    (Tells): From afar, Mephistoles hisses harshly to you, "Hey baby, show me your ovipositor?"
    The mighty Jy'Barrak Golgotha opens his maw, catches the glowing spear in his many jagged teeth, and chomps down. The Divine spear breaks with a noise like thunder, shards toppling from the Emperor's jaws. "OM NOM NOM!" He declares, then spits the last of the ruined weapon from his lips.

Fezzix
  • Vyxsis said:

it seemed like stine tried to kite a bunch of aggro mobs into the room where me and fezz were holed up.<.<</p>

And he rearranged the exits to get past our icewall too!

VyxsisStineKalinaar
  • Leer (Mentis)
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Syntax: LEER
    Blood cost: 500

Cloud the mind of your target, preventing them from communicating with others telepathically.
    They will be unable to do so until they escape from their current location.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You use Mentis Leer on Tekias.
    You fix your leering gaze upon Tekias and cloud his mind over.
    Equilibrium Used: 3.39 seconds

Without crown or EQ enhance on, so it should be right at or around 3s w/both.

Ask and ye shall receive, I guess. At least with Sentinel it requires sacrificing 2 ent spots ( wisp/nightingale ) to use effectively. I think it's kind of awkward that the only way to cure it is to move out of the location or, presumably, kill the Praenomen who gave it, though that isn't confirmed yet.
  • RijettaRijetta Nowhere Important
    Does Wisp + Nightingale have a method of curing besides killing the Sentinel that we have yet to discover?
    A low, sultry voice resounds within the depths of your mind, "I look forward to seeing your descent."
    VyxsisMjollStine
  • VyxsisVyxsis Vyxsis
    edited April 2019
    Rijetta said:

Does Wisp + Nightingale have a method of curing besides killing the Sentinel that we have yet to discover?

disfigurement? ETA: i think you can also LOSE WISP, but like other loyals that've been ordered to attack, it would just reattach itself. maybe you could leave the room, LOSE WISP, and then re-enter before it reattaches? either way, it's more of a hassle than simply walking out of the room and back in.

but really, stine, in a group, the afflicting ents aren't that useful anyways. sure, you might give me clumsiness or weariness every so often, but why bother when two people can pretty consistently lock every round? presumably your other two slots will be determined by group size and composition, but i'd think bear (for the single block) and badger (for idiocy/plodding - i.e. a bit less healing) would be much more prevalent picks than they have been lately. iesid's use of raloth + icewyrm to support limbs today was clever, tho, regardless of wisp. i guess i think it's a non-issue for reasons pretty similar to why i tell indo novices not to learn domination until they've got necromancy and tarot - you just don't need or really get that much benefit from it in groups.

that said, even without nightingale, taking a round to kill the wisp is still a lost round. even one round is huge when things can escalate as quickly as they sometimes do in groups.

as a note for Whomever Powerful is looking at this, though, i don't think giving shadow an analog to wisp was the right solution. just get rid of wisp. giving both sides the same low-effort op ability just feels like a mess. mutually-assured destruction doesn't work as a deterrent in a game like this afaict.

/$2.02
    (Tells): From afar, Mephistoles hisses harshly to you, "Hey baby, show me your ovipositor?"
    The mighty Jy'Barrak Golgotha opens his maw, catches the glowing spear in his many jagged teeth, and chomps down. The Divine spear breaks with a noise like thunder, shards toppling from the Emperor's jaws. "OM NOM NOM!" He declares, then spits the last of the ruined weapon from his lips.

MjollIazamatStineFezzix
  • Vyxsis said:

Rijetta said:

disfigurement? ETA: i think you can also LOSE WISP, but like other loyals that've been ordered to attack, it would just reattach itself. maybe you could leave the room, LOSE WISP, and then re-enter before it reattaches? either way, it's more of a hassle than simply walking out of the room and back in.
    If you can stick disfig long enough for it to take effect, just kill them instead.
    Toz says, "Dishonor on you (Mjoll), dishonor on your family (Seirath), dishonor on your cow (Bulrok)"
    VyxsisStine
  • edited April 2019
    3.39s of eq is 3.39s of eq where as wisp is 2.5ish (gated behind dhuriv) and the sentinel isn't sacrificing their active fucking offense to be completely busted. 

There is still a clear fucking winner.

Edit #3: and apparently you have to be in the dominion to even use leer. 
    (Web): Toz says, "Emir's Express Evacuation and Existence Eradicator, Every Experience is Explosive - Experience the Entirety of your Existence!"
    Stine
  • BenedictoBenedicto Tentacles Errywhere!
    edited April 2019
    Vyxsis said:

Benedicto said:

yeeeeaaaaahhhh uhhhhhh i was alone for most of the brawl and bloodbath, but i kept getting chased around by gank squads (esp in the former). during survivor, it seemed like stine tried to kite a bunch of aggro mobs into the room where me and fezz were holed up. i missed the FFA entirely so i can't comment. the 2v2v2v2 tho... when it actually started, mjoll and i were in a different section of the arena for quite awhile before finally entering the room where eno and duiran were trying to gank spines.

like, i get it, we all have our jerky moments, but something something removeth the plank from thine own eye something something... <.<</p>
    You'll have to point out to me the exact portion of my post that said 'Shadow will make it into a 4v4'. I can't seem to see it.

Not to mention, this thread has gotten completely off-track from it's original, intended purpose. It's supposed to be about ideas for different events. Not bemoaning various combat skills.
  • edited April 2019
    Would making small team combat a more frequent occurrence be possible using the existing system for Sect, perhaps? Use a secondary instance  of the arena, and a separate rating system, while just stealing some of the commands and functionality. For example: SECT CHALLENGE/ACCEPT <DOUBLES/TRIPLES/SQUADS>
    Someone has initiated/answered a challenge for a doubles match blah blah SECT ACCEPT DOUBLES to join the queue.
    Then when there are enough people in the queue to form teams of the appropriate size (4/6/8), the system would assign teams either randomly or by rating seed (but definitely NOT in join order) and begin the match.

From there, a lot of the games being discussed could be subsequently added as tertiary syntax match types e.g. SECT CHALLENGE TRIPLES <RANDOM/SEEDED/TETHERED/RANDOMCLASS/BALLOONFIGHT> 
    TeaniStineEakuBenedictoVyxsis
  • Rijetta said:

That's a good point and not something I was considering in my initial thoughts/reaction. Thanks for pointing that out.
    Vyxsis said:

ents being useful

I think the use of raven w/swoop is something that could be utilized more often, and if the plan is limbs or writhe stacking, getting a free prone from elk can be useful too. I think there are definitely more uses for woodlore ents than tarot ents in groups though, that part I agree with.
    Vyxsis said:

taking a round to kill the wisp is still a lost round. even one round is huge when things can escalate as quickly as they sometimes do in groups.

as a note for Whomever Powerful is looking at this, though, i don't think giving shadow an analog to wisp was the right solution. just get rid of wisp. giving both sides the same low-effort op ability just feels like a mess. mutually-assured destruction doesn't work as a deterrent in a game like this afaict.

Definitely agree with these two parts. Having to spend a round to kill an ent is not conducive to a fun experience. Also unsure still of the reason the wisp ent was given to Sentinels other than 'have gimmick so the class can be played more'.
    Emir said:

3.39s of eq is 3.39s of eq where as wisp is 2.5ish (gated behind dhuriv)

Edit #3: and apparently you have to be in the dominion to even use leer. 

Not sure what the cursing is for, but I agree that they're not quite the same power level! My initial thoughts weren't too clear but it looks like they were taken very negatively, sorry about that :(

The Dominion only thing must've been after I tested. Also, if that is true, that's a super weird limiting factor, especially after the recent change to be able to quit the Dominion a week ago.
    Church said:

random team sect or other method

I would be doing this all the time. I love this as a concept.
  • edited April 2019
    In my recent experience iesid's wisp spends half the time isolating him instead of our target anyway. I think it's because he doesn't want to talk to me (or listen to the wayfarer spam).

I do like the idea of adding team modes to sect. 1v1 is fun but smaller groups is where I prefer to mess around and I feel as though there aren't a lot of opportunities for that currently, except for certain early afternoon hours. As an addendum, it's not that huge groups fights aren't fun, but they can get old pretty quick depending on the week.
  • The shadow side is feeling like a beaten dog. We lash out at anything that comes in close assuming it's another beat down.
    Toz says, "Dishonor on you (Mjoll), dishonor on your family (Seirath), dishonor on your cow (Bulrok)"
    RhyotIazamat
  • TiurTiur Producer
    Let's move talk of wisp and such to another forum, I'd really like to be mining here for new combat event ideas!

I'm not sure we're much into teams in the sect, since the balance of 2v2 is so insane that even Keroc would go mad attempting it. Maybe? It could be good for identifying cases were two classes mesh too well together.
  • edited April 2019
    Ninja'd oops
    (Web): Toz says, "Emir's Express Evacuation and Existence Eradicator, Every Experience is Explosive - Experience the Entirety of your Existence!"
  • A different system than sect, but tangentially related. Run monthly seasons. Allow a team to register and queue for 2v2 or 3v3.

I would love this.
    Church
  • Benedicto said:

Vyxsis said:

Benedicto said:

like, i get it, we all have our jerky moments, but something something removeth the plank from thine own eye something something... <.<</p>
    You'll have to point out to me the exact portion of my post that said 'Shadow will make it into a 4v4'. I can't seem to see it.

Not to mention, this thread has gotten completely off-track from it's original, intended purpose. It's supposed to be about ideas for different events. Not bemoaning various combat skills.
    subtext and/or i'm aware there was discussion of shadow "teaming" so why are you pretending otherwise :/