Aetolia Movie Lovers Club

RijettaRijetta Nowhere Important
edited April 2019 in Harpy's Head Tavern
Come one come all! We joked about this a while back but I'm no coward so I'm starting the Aetolia Movie Lovers/Watchers Club, or the AMLC for short.

What is it?
A club where people who love to watch, review, critique, and devour movie media can gather! We can grow stronger as a community by making fun of films.

Who can join?
Anyone reading this!

How does it work?
Every month there will be two movies selected - at least one of these movies will be readily available on Netflix, Hulu, or some other easily-accessed streaming service, and I (or, perhaps, another member) will do my utmost to ensure it gets publicly streamed using the rabb.it service for folks who don't have subscriptions, at least once during the month. Then, once you've watched the movie (either in a stream or on your own), come here to discuss, critique, and faff!

Who selects the movies?
We do! Members may submit recommendations here during the middle of the month - these will be made into a poll in the last week of the month, and next month's movies will be selected from the top two winners. There will occasionally be theme months too, where you're asked to suggest movies from a particular genre, theme, or perhaps a certain actor.

When do we start?!
Now! The suggestion form is open and I am taking criticism, suggestions, etc. the poll will start next week.

THIS MONTH'S SUGGESTION BOX
Suggestion Box

THIS MONTH'S POLL
April Movie Choices

THIS MONTH'S MOVIES

Monty Python and the Holy Grail (US Netflix)

Tale of Tales (US Netflix)

9 (US Netflix)
=
NEXT STREAM
Thursday, April 4th, approx 6 PM EST

Rij Stream Link
A low, sultry voice resounds within the depths of your mind, "I look forward to seeing your descent."
VyxsisNoksEmirIesidAloliEydisStathanOonagh

Comments

• TiurTiur Producer
    I'm in!
    RijettaEydis
  • i want to redo my suggestion, please -- put me down for any three (3) dbz abridged movies.
    Indoran'i is back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (wolf Howl)
    An Atzob cultist says, "Is a shamatato as tasty as a potato?"
    (Tells): From afar, Mephistoles hisses harshly to you, "Hey baby, show me your ovipositor?"
    The mighty Jy'Barrak Golgotha opens his maw, catches the glowing spear in his many jagged teeth, and chomps down. The Divine spear breaks with a noise like thunder, shards toppling from the Emperor's jaws. "OM NOM NOM!" He declares, then spits the last of the ruined weapon from his lips.

IesidRijettaTekiasOonagh
  • This is gonna be so much fun~
    Rijetta
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    I Russel'd up a suggestion.
    Rijetta
  • Is the idea for this that we're watching good movies, B movies or bad movies?
    Rijetta
  • TiurTiur Producer
    I thought I'd recommend movies that are good, but not known.
    Rijetta
  • RijettaRijetta Nowhere Important
    edited March 2019
    Dannon said:

Is the idea for this that we're watching good movies, B movies or bad movies?

Yes! Side note: It's helpful if the movies are easily streamable via netflix/hulu/etc.!
    A low, sultry voice resounds within the depths of your mind, "I look forward to seeing your descent."
    Dannon
  • Rijetta said:

Dannon said:

Is the idea for this that we're watching good movies, B movies or bad movies?

Yes! Side note: It's helpful if the movies are easily streamable via netflix/hulu/etc.!
    dbz abridged on youtube just saying
    Indoran'i is back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (wolf Howl)
    An Atzob cultist says, "Is a shamatato as tasty as a potato?"
    (Tells): From afar, Mephistoles hisses harshly to you, "Hey baby, show me your ovipositor?"
    The mighty Jy'Barrak Golgotha opens his maw, catches the glowing spear in his many jagged teeth, and chomps down. The Divine spear breaks with a noise like thunder, shards toppling from the Emperor's jaws. "OM NOM NOM!" He declares, then spits the last of the ruined weapon from his lips.

RijettaTekias
  • AloliAloli Between Books
    This sounds like fun. I'm in.
    Between what is said and not meant, and what is meant and not said, most of love is lost. - Khalil Gibran
    Rijetta
  • I’m in!

(Spinesreach): Xiuhcoatl says, "Oh man, grab the children-corn. This is gonna be good."
    Rijetta
    April poll is up! Vote vote vote!
    We have our winners!

Monty Python and the Holy Grail - 4 votes

Tale of Tales - 4 votes

9 - 4 votes

WOW!! A three-way tie! I'll need to find a better voting system to prevent this kind of thing in the future, but to celebrate the inaugural month of the club, let's watch all three! (Or as many as you are able to watch in the month.)

As a HUGE plus, all three of these movies are available on Netflix, which means all three of them can be streamed for members (and non-members) to watch together! I will put together a stream for one or more of these movies Thursday, April 4th at approximately 6 PM EST. Get your snacks! Bring your friends! Be ready to deal with my overly critical half-trained movie critic self!

Hope to see you there! The main post of this thread will be updated with the choices.
    DannonXeniaVyxsisAloli
  • I'm not in the club but I'll give a tie breaker. The Godfather. Watch that one.
    Aloli
    The main post is now updated! Also, I will do my utmost to have multiple streams when I can, at differing times, but don't be afraid to host your own! Repeat hosts (or anyone who asks, really) can have their streaming site (I use rabb.it!!) added to the main post. Come to the thread after you've seen the movie to post your reviews and incite discussion! Spoiler any spoilers! Have fun! Be friendly!
    Aloli
    edited April 2019
    It's been such a long time since I have last seen Monty Python and the Holy Grail! I'm so glad it's one of the movies that made the list! Now that I'm seeing it again, being a little older, I love the humor and appreciate the little things so much more.

Although I didn't have time to sit down for the whole movie, I got to see the first few minutes this time before falling asleep...I'll see it again this weekend with friends!

I did want to share something about what I saw so far.

The credits are the most engaging credits I've seen at the beginning of a move! M00se was expertly placed everywhere!

Another thing that I did find interesting is in the beginning when a man was pulling a cart around and calling out "Bring out your dead".

I lived in Egypt for a few years, between the elementary and secondary school age and got to learn a lot about the culture and language. In certain neighborhoods you'd see a guy that pulls a cart around similar to this movie, beating a bell just the same way, and he yells to "Bring out your junk". This can be anything you want to get rid of for quick cash. Over time it became abbreviated into a slurred word "rubabekya."

Edit: please no jokes, it's a literal translation!
    #Tahrir #SoukelGomaa #TravelingFleaMarket

Between what is said and not meant, and what is meant and not said, most of love is lost. - Khalil Gibran
    Boy it has been a bit of a rough month for me! But the main MOVIE SUGGESTIONS bar has been updated for May, and you can suggest movies for May! My review of 9 and Tale of Tales to follow soon - I haven't gotten around to Monty Python yet!
    9, by Shane Acker
    Visuals: 5/5
    Story: 2/5
    Cinematography: 4/5
    Overall: 3/5

Since this is my first review of the thread, I should warn that I tend to be a very harsh critic - that doesn't mean I don't like the movie! On the contrary, I'm very fond of 9. I saw it when it came out in 2009, as I was obsessed with Tim Burton at the time and discovered that he was producing the movie. I noticed a few flaws at the time, but overall I was too young and too uneducated to really appreciate the movie's strengths and flaws alike.

As far as strengths, the movie is beautifully animated, especially for 2009. Everything is crisp and clean and moves well, without any stiffness that I could see. Acker has an amazing attention to detail that really breathes life (heh) into the post-apocalyptic world in which the movie takes place. The main characters, little rag dolls called Stitchpunks, are emotive and fun to watch. The antagonists in the movie are breathtaking and terrifying. The voice acting is good, too!

Where 9 falls short is in its narrative, however. Without giving away any details, the story is predictable and a bit tired - rather shallow, I would say. Its messages are unsubtle and heavy-handed, and in this critic's opinion, less poignant for it. In addition, the pacing of the movie is very strange - it is breakneck in the beginning, drags in the middle, and backloads a lot of the 'plot' to the very end. This serves to create a mystery, but the I find that the mystery is less compelling than the visual spectacle of the world itself.

That being said, 9 is more than worth a watch - I consider it essential for any Burton fans! Definitely give 9 a look, if for nothing else than to say that you have.
    StathanAloliXenia
  • HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    I know I'm not a member but if this is still a thing - Adrien Brody's Detachment is a good movie to dive into and discuss.
    ¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
    Aloli
    Still taking suggestions?