Preaching

2»

Comments

• Silena said:

Karhast said:

It's really, really nice to have a sense of being able to contribute, though I'm not sure that's a feeling that'll carry over well after this particular event is done. Enorian has a history of getting a raw deal during events, and one reason I've been going preaching a lot was not wanting to see that happen yet again. If that's not going to be a factor in future installments, I don't think I'd bother as much, myself.

Yeah, I know. That's one thing I am considering for setting this up - making it so that it's balanced between all the orgs and that wouldn't be dependent on people logging hours to win.
    Karhast said:

Second.. I'm not really sure what the idea behind the five different preaching lines were. If it's variety, great! They're fun lines. Figuring out what lines fit on which Mhun was all done through trial and error, though; if there's reason to it, I don't think anyone's found how. Furthermore, the independent Mhun converting faster than typicals is a nice touch, but the way to convert priestly ones is incredibly opaque; we haven't gotten a single one, and if there even is a way.. It feels a little rude to get our hopes up like that.

I completely agree, this was one of those issues that seemed like it'd work when I first wrote it, but seeing it in practice, I hated it. For this particular event there wasn't much incentive to do extensive testing or change the mechanics, but it is definitely something I want to adjust in any permanent system. I don't like that it's not clear what the logic behind it is, and I don't like that there was no way to tell how to(or how to not) convert the priestly mhuns.
    Karhast said:

If you want to tie this into something not related to events, do consider how PK will factor into things. As it stands, this event came to be after some people in Eno got worried and things kinda snowballed, upon which a lot of other orgs had their own reactions but mostly let us be. If it's something much more contentious, I expect to see the usual pattern of both sides duking it out until it becomes clear who's going to come out on top, after which there'll be a waiting game of letting it peter out. This is perfectly fine for lessers and majors, where exhaustion doesn't really become a factor, but if it's anything laster longer than that.. Yeah. Please consider the ramifications of making things worth PKing over, because it will turn into no holds barred fighting the moment that happens.

I really don't want pk to be a positive factor in this at all. The idea is to convert/convince via diplomacy, as I feel like there's plenty of avenues for pk elsewhere and would rather give an rp-related opportunity for non-comms to participate in events. How that actually plays out I'm not sure yet, but... yeah.
    I'm really, genuinely, only asking so I won't waste any time: is there a way to convert priestly Mhun? One that doesn't involve anything beyond preaching? I don't ming trial and erroring some more, or doing something to find a way, but preaching at a brick wall is pretty bad for morale :|
  • BenedictoBenedicto Tentacles Errywhere!
    I'm going to add in my opinion on this.

The mechanic itself and the premise behind it is great. For the first week or so, I got heavily involved and genuinely felt that I was contributing something meaningful.

However, I think the downside with this has been the downside that typically occurs with a lot of these sort of 'resource' based activities - fatigue.

It was entirely possible to spend my entire logged in time walking around Mog trying to convert people. After a couple of weeks, my time doing it got less and less until I gave up altogether because there were other, more rewarding and interactive things that I could do with my time.

In an ideal world, activities like this are shorter and much more intense in order to prevent the sort of fatigue that I think has resulted and that I, myself, certainly experienced.
    KarhastMoxieOonaghAloliAristaSilena
  • MoxieMoxie USA
    edited February 2019
    I'm a little lost on what happened to this story line? Did I miss an event or is it a to be continued? I know there were a few of us Enorians that tried to preach every day, but all the energy tapered off in the middle of January because there was basically no point trying to covert the priestly mhun due them being stubborn little unicorns. >>

Edit: I don't have any issue discreetly killing a few of the priestly ones to improve morale >> I'm from a game where mhun are exp, not friends.

(Illuminai): Saltz says, "Moxie is just doing the Moxie thing to do, often misinterpreted."

(Tells): Sir Iames Gallant, the Executioner tells you, "The one Illuminai beyond prayer, I swear."

Valingar: "How could a daughter of me, the most noble man in the south, be so heartless?"

(Tells): Haven Locke, Illuminai Khimaira tells you, "Be that as it may, I've also seen the strength in you. You can take care of yourself."
    Kalinaar
  • Moxie said:

Edit: I don't have any issue discreetly killing a few of the priestly ones to improve morale >> I'm from a game where mhun are exp, not friends.

that's this game, too! jkjkjkjkjk

regarding your question, i think the answer is something like this: Chaos Court is the most immediate threat to Life As We Know It (you're welcome), so while Bamathis still cares about rooting out worship of Albedi Gods, it has to take a back seat. there's not much way to push the conversion struggle story in the mean time, especially given the limitations inherent in inhabiting these gawky meatsacks. (i'm told the staff/volunteers are made of meat just like the rest of us, but we have to take it on faith.) idk if that helps, but that's def my afaict take.
    Indoran'i is back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (wolf Howl)
    An Atzob cultist says, "Is a shamatato as tasty as a potato?"
    (Tells): From afar, Mephistoles hisses harshly to you, "Hey baby, show me your ovipositor?"
    The mighty Jy'Barrak Golgotha opens his maw, catches the glowing spear in his many jagged teeth, and chomps down. The Divine spear breaks with a noise like thunder, shards toppling from the Emperor's jaws. "OM NOM NOM!" He declares, then spits the last of the ruined weapon from his lips.

MoxieKalinaarAloli
  • i do have a question about the preaching, though: did it get turned off? i was trying it out (curiosity got to me), and it was working for a bit last night... then it just stopped. now anytime i try it, i'm just doing the 'preach' premote, not getting the responses, etc.

or maybe the mhun heard i made fun of them that one time? also that other time? the other other time, too?
    (Tells): From afar, Mephistoles hisses harshly to you, "Hey baby, show me your ovipositor?"
    The mighty Jy'Barrak Golgotha opens his maw, catches the glowing spear in his many jagged teeth, and chomps down. The Divine spear breaks with a noise like thunder, shards toppling from the Emperor's jaws. "OM NOM NOM!" He declares, then spits the last of the ruined weapon from his lips.

• SilenaSilena Immortal
    Vyxsis said:

i do have a question about the preaching, though: did it get turned off? i was trying it out (curiosity got to me), and it was working for a bit last night... then it just stopped. now anytime i try it, i'm just doing the 'preach' premote, not getting the responses, etc.

or maybe the mhun heard i made fun of them that one time? also that other time? the other other time, too?

No reason why it wouldn't be working, @Vyxsis. I checked it, and it's working for me. What exactly were you doing/preaching?
    Vyxsis
  • VyxsisVyxsis Vyxsis
    edited March 2019
    Silena said:

Vyxsis said:

i do have a question about the preaching, though: did it get turned off? i was trying it out (curiosity got to me), and it was working for a bit last night... then it just stopped. now anytime i try it, i'm just doing the 'preach' premote, not getting the responses, etc.

No reason why it wouldn't be working, @Vyxsis. I checked it, and it's working for me. What exactly were you doing/preaching?
    uh, well lessee...

first, i was just wandering doing PREACH MHUN until i found one that gave the hint to preach about a topic. then, i did PREACH MHUN MIGHT (i think? or was it STRENGTH? whichever that was), which got the message about the mhun listening calmly. next was WEAKNESS - again, listening calmly. after that, i felt a little spicy so i tried PREACH MHUN EGGWARD - no message, but it did consume eq(?). from then on, any attempt to PREACH MHUN, PREACH MHUN [topic], or even just PREACH only results in 'You preach.' or 'You preach to an armored Mhun disciple.' etc. i've tried a bunch of different mhun in moghedu, sometimes using their specific mob id number, but it's all the same.

ETA: sorry, i misremembered some of the exact messages (e.g. it's actually 'You preach at a Mhun disciple.'), but i'm trying it again now with the same results.

• SilenaSilena Immortal
    @Vyxsis. Interesting, that one emote 'eggward' was bugged, as it seems like part of the response was deleted at some point. It ended up causing the rest of the system to break for you, only. It should be working now(you will have to preach to a mhun twice before you're able to preach again).

I see you haven't lost your talent for finding bugs!
    Vyxsis
  • Silena said:

@Vyxsis. Interesting, that one emote 'eggward' was bugged, as it seems like part of the response was deleted at some point. It ended up causing the rest of the system to break for you, only. It should be working now(you will have to preach to a mhun twice before you're able to preach again).

I see you haven't lost your talent for finding bugs!

cool, cool, thanks! i'll give it another try in a few.

as for bugs... i'm not trying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! apparently i just... am a little bit of a kook, which leads to doing weird things, which leads to things breaking T_T

Aloli