Short Questions

Comments

• Mjoll said:

It's happened twice, the other class is Luminary.

MjollDidiSteeleStathanSklaxBenedictoOonaghKalinaar
  • edited December 2018
    What is the actual chance of these trick stockings vanishing when you try to open them?
  • TiurTiur Producer
    Pretty high! Like, @Razmael is mean high. We might tone it down later.
    MjollStathanMoxieSklaxAloli
  • edited December 2018
    I have now given up twice. If you don't tone it down you could at least make it stop showing up with the yellow 'you have stockings to open' message at login.
    Mjoll
  • It's like a 3 trigger system to afk find it. It's not even like code heavy. I think you're overreacting just a bit.
    (Web): Toz says, "Emir's Express Evacuation and Existence Eradicator, Every Experience is Explosive - Experience the Entirety of your Existence!"
  • You're reading a bit far into what I posted. I don't ultimately care that much, I just found it mildly irritating.
  • Sorry. I just didn't realize you could read 'I have logged out twice after giving up' as any other way.
    (Web): Toz says, "Emir's Express Evacuation and Existence Eradicator, Every Experience is Explosive - Experience the Entirety of your Existence!"
    Kalinaar
  • Edited my post. I logged out after giving up, I didn't log out -because- I gave up.
  • edited December 2018
    bug DESICCATION DISTORT: it seems WOODLORE TRACK is going through DISTORT. Distort should be stopping all track/scent skills.

Bug #12607 and any potential children have been resolved with the following message: AB DISTORT tells you what it protects against specifically. BUG 12607 [SHOW] at any time to see this information again.

While this defence is active upon your summoned sand, none within the room may be tracked by the Scent (racial) or Track (Lycanthropy) abilities.

Legit question here, as I'm trying to understand this: why is the skill so specifically targeted like this and what's the point of it? I'm guessing that this was done before Woodlore Track was implemented (maybe??), so it was never considered, but am I really going to have to waste a classlead slot just to have this utility be more useful than "I hope they aren't in Sentinel"?
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    Lycanthropy track is super powerful for group movement used to be much more common in pk for lycans to lead everyone in. IIRC woodlore track doesn't bring followers like lycanthropy does? Avoiding scent is just pretty powerful in general.
    AgothaxlKalinaar
  • Just curious if anyone knows the average wait time on Retirement Credits. I know the Admin have to go through each one by hand and decide, but there has to be an average amount of time that people have waited. Just a little curious to get my new life going ^.^;
  • TiurTiur Producer
    Your average wait time should be one day. I'm afraid I was away for a bit there, back now.
    Stathan
  • When I am browsing through a Directory in a city, DIRECTORY WEAPONBELT shows me all the weaponbelts for sale.

But when I put in DIRECTORY BELT, it shows me weaponbelts AND normal belts.

Why are these two not properly divided in Directories (and I imagine many other ware items are possibly similar in their input)?

If there is a Directory syntax/command input that actually divides different, but similarly worded wares, I have no idea what it is.

Maybe I'm just a retard and cant spot something obvious. Help?
  • ImvraImvra Immortal Immortal
    edited December 2018
    It is because weaponbelts can be called belts, but belts can't be called weaponbelts. You can try DIRECTORY HIPSCARF, which is an alternative for normal belts but not for weaponbelts.
    Sklax
  • edited December 2018
    I am currently constructing an IG block of instruction/lessons on swords for @Teani (she won the auction in Spinesreach, where Sklax was offering in depth sword lessons).

As I sit here and construct this information to roleplay out for Teani (which I'm looking forward to, weapons in general being a...specialty of mine IRL), I noticed that....Aetolia has quite a mix of....archaic and near-modern type swords. It damn near throws me off a little when I look at it.

My question (FOR RIGHT NOW) revolves presently around two types of swords. Rapiers and Bastard Swords.

Rapiers - What most of everyone knows a rapier to be is actually a fairly recent weapon type, in so much as what most people associate a rapier to be. A long, thin, thrusting weapon, wielded in a single hand, and popularized by movies and video games. However, during the friking bronze age (Bronze Age being respective to the culture experiencing it at the time), thin, short, THRUSTING blades that were effectively rapiers existed, but they are so damn far removed from the modern image of a rapier that few people would be able to even identify these ancient blades as rapiers (Ancient Ireland produced some of the best examples of these, for anyone that has not had the pleasure of holding one or seeing one in a museum). So when Sklax is talking about rapiers with Teani, would it be...let's say....in proper lore...for him to point out two different types of Rapiers, one being ancient (pre-Ankyrean...First Age? E.t.c.) or would it be in better taste to just use the modern example only?

Bastard Swords - This is something that has actually been bothering me since I started playing Aetolia as a kid. The standard bastard sword is "Delosian" in pattern, and wedged tightly in Aetolian history, obscure and popularly forgotten by most, are the "Delosian Rangers" that were "famed" for wielding them. Why is Delos the birth place for bastard swords, and who in the flying f*** were the Delosian Rangers?

There is so little IG lore/history concerning these...little tid bits, and it bugs the hell out of me. I'm putting a lot of work into this RP event that Teani paid GOOD GOLD FOR, and I want to do it right, and as depthfull as possible. She deserves it, so I don't want to muddle up Sklax giving bad information, or talking about things that don't exist, or risk fabricating history/lore just to appeal to the in-depth block of instruction.

I would just march Sklax up to Swordmaster Colby and ask wh--oh wait he's DEAD and Driga is too modern to have the answers I want.

Sorry, this blew up into less of a short question, and probably deserves it's own thread.
    Stathan
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    Sklax said:

I am currently constructing an IG block of instruction/lessons on swords for @Teani (she won the auction in Spinesreach, where Sklax was offering in depth sword lessons).

While not an answer, I am really looking forward to this (even more so now <3 ). It should be noted, Teani was mostly looking for lessons in how to not stab herself with a blade, because she is utterly incapable of handling weapons. She once almost noosed herself when trying to learn the whip. There is a reason why her classes are mostly weaponless. <.<

StathanSklax
    I am not sure I understand the block. If you could rephrase the questions, that would help!

Weaponry has evolved over time, and new styles have been incorporated with the old tried-and-true.

Unfortunately, some of those answers are locked behind the Grand Artifice! There were some weapon fragments dug up in the dig site during the lead-up to the portal to Albedos, that you could make inferences from. You could draw some conclusions from the weaponry used by more isolated populations. But there is no readily available history beyond that.

The Delosian Rangers are a relic many have forgotten about. This is something you could further explore In Character as well.

In short: You can make deductive inferences, but they are only that. Aetolia's time frame does not mirror the real world's in many ways. The present Sapience is more of a dystopia built upon the ruins of more advanced civilizations, and are more rudimentary than the Ankyrean, Indoron, and old Ophidian Empire that came before. Those gaps of knowledge are natural.
    Sklax
  • PhoeneciaPhoenecia The Merchant of Esterport Somewhere in Attica
    Sklax said:
    I noticed that....Aetolia has quite a mix of....archaic and near-modern type swords.
    So. Simple answer here that probably won't be very satisfying to you in the slightest: Aetolia is a fantasy world, so the reason we have so many different swords from different eras is simply Rule of Cool, and also to offer design variety for forgers and the people that use them. 

Aetolia's tech level has been explicitly said to be roughly 1800s, pre-1860s and pre-Industrial Revolution (except no firearms, which have been around since the 1700s and earlier, Fantasy Gun Control is in full effect here). 

Anyway. Why isn't there an extensive history behind the swords that exist in-game? Because it hasn't really needed it. Sure, you can infer the purpose of each individual weapon by its shape and characteristics, but as far as history goes, those are minute details that haven't been fleshed out probably because lore priorities have been elsewhere.

So, how do you go about handling knowledge on a subject that isn't really present in-game? Well, you can kinda do what I've been doing in regards to Phoe and flower meanings and the RP I do with that, and the RP people often do with cultural food and drink: either work with the info you are able to dig up, or take a guess and start making things up (within reason). There are a lot of minor details around the game that aren't going to be fleshed out, so it doesn't hurt to help in expanding culture in small ways.

Keep in mind, though, any knowledge pre-Grand Artifice will either not exist or not be known.

StathanSklaxKalinaar
  • edited December 2018
    Thanks you two. Gave me material to operate upon. Got a good chunk already formulated.

@Imvra If the Delosian Rangers are a piece of lore that Sklax can explore IG, I will happily crack into that can of worms :3
  • As a proud history nerd and amateur blacksmith, I have to agree that most fantasy based games inaccurately name and describe weapons of a large variety. That said, you can work a lot in areas that aren't fleshed out and are unlikely to be as Phoe pointed out. I like when people get inventive like that personally. 
    SklaxAloli
    @Kalinaar please read KJ Parker's Fencer trilogy and tell me what you think of the techbitec details in that one. I liked it... <.<

• Anybody able to tell me how to get my enemy status to Tainhelm removed? I haven't been able to find any money box and all the dwarves are too busy wrecking me to talk.
    Kalinaar
  • Luas said:

Anybody able to tell me how to get my enemy status to Tainhelm removed? I haven't been able to find any money box and all the dwarves are too busy wrecking me to talk.

I can only confirm that killing them more doesn't help.

I think somebody said there's a box by the mayor's house or something, but I could be misremembering and I have no idea how you get in if you can't open the gate (call me if you want to kill the dwarves to get in).

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

Luas
  • Luas said:
    Anybody able to tell me how to get my enemy status to Tainhelm removed? I haven't been able to find any money box and all the dwarves are too busy wrecking me to talk.
    If you find out, please let me know. I've asked and asked and looked but haven't found anything. There -should- be a box just outside Tainhelm similar to other areas in order to be consistent across the game with this kind of thing but there isn't one.
    Luas
  • AxiusAxius where I am
    So! It's been a while since I entered my earthen form. Like.. since -before- I became a Chiav. And I noticed that my chiav modifier applies while in my earthen form. And I recalled that I -also- have a were-raven form. So it leads to my question. Do I have four descriptions to write? Or do I have -six-? I know my chiav form gets an additional description when tied to my original state. but what about my Earthen and were-raven forms? Since it can be applied to that, does it get like..weird coding modifiers? Or am I asking after something that'd be a nightmare to code logistically, and probably would require like.. five or six different commands based on class and stuff?
  • SaritaSarita Empress of Bahir'an The Pillars of the Earth
    Is triptycha based on a real world game, and if so, which?
    Sarita said:

Is triptycha based on a real world game, and if so, which?

Tri-ominos is the closest I've found, but I don't think there's a game just like Triptycha. I have made my own tiles, just for fun!

ZailaSaritaLuas
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    It's a lot like the card game from final fantasy 8 but in triangles instead of squares
    StathanSaritaLuas
  • ZailaZaila Pacific Time
    If each of the five major cities (BL, Spines, Duiran, Eno, Esterport) were to be represented by one distinct colour:

Which would they each be?

Example: not one silver and another grey. Or one crimson and another scarlet, etc. I want very visually distinct colours and only one colour for each. And a colour that in some fashion represents the city in question
    PREFERABLY some sort of flag/banner colours, but it might not work out that way for a single-colour-system
    In my head...

Bloodloch: Red (and black) blood, death, the cliches fit
    Duiran: Green (and silver) trees and life
    Enorian: Yellow (and blue) the Grand Flame and surrounding sea and rivers, even if the Pachacacha is red
    Spinesreach: Purple (and grey) typical colour of the arcane and pride, obscuring, mountains, night sky
    Esterport: Gold (and brown) they'll take your money but there's dirt under their nails
    ZailaSteeleMoxieKodaDidiLuasBenedicto