Announce post #2919: Zealot Revamp!

<pre>1/21/2019 at 0:54
Keroc, the Starborn
Everyone
Zealot Revamp!

Hello folks!

Today marks a new uprising for those of the Zealot class, who now possess three brand new unique skills to spread the Light. Where they once knew Tekura, Illumination, and Telepathy, they now possess the knowledge of Zeal, Purification, and Psionics. No longer are they tied to the whims and changes of the Monk and Luminary.

Along with this change, those of who you had the Zealot class previously will find that the lessons you had invested into them have been returned to you in full. As such, you can reinvest those lessons however you like, however if you choose to relearn Zealot, you will only be able to learn the new skills from Ywena for the first couple of days.

Like all new classes of the past, there will inevitably be some bugs and rough areas of the class. I'll be keeping a keen eye on the whole process and I'll be available as a point of contact for any concerns you might have about it. You may see some new abilities pop up here and there depending on feedback, so don't be too surprised if it doesn't work out perfectly to begin with. (P.S. Make sure you have that soothing salve ready, its time is here!).

As a final note, officially this marks the first time that both tethers finally have a fully unique even number of classes, which is something I'm personally excited about as it has been a long goal of ours to see this happen. It was something we talked about wanting to achieve as far back as when I originally stepped up as a volunteer. I wanted to give a big thank you to both Antehe and Raah who have helped bring this class together for the final Zealot release, and hopefully mages won't be too far behind.

Enjoy!

Penned by my hand on Kinsday, the 20th of Chakros, in the year 478 MA.</pre>
TozKalinaarSteeleAloli

Comments

• TekiasTekias Wisconsin
    edited January 2019
    Whar Scio Revamp Whar?

Edit: Didn't mean to JUST post that. Zealot getting true skill independence is great!
    Formerly: Spiegel. Eidycue.

Hi.

KalinaarOonaghMoxie
  • Thanks so much for the great work! There's so much to love about this revamp. I feel like a novice again for the first time in years, with everything so very shiny. I'm looking forward to learning the ins and outs, but you won my heart with the more fluff-based stuff. I love the new kata. It's exactly what I've come to picture the combat kata turned to meditative use looking like and I hope there are more to come. That and, of course, I can't not love the itty bitty hellkitty! <3
    Avatar courtesy of Eleanor. Thank you!
    ~~

~~
    Always interested in knowing how I'm doing!
    KerocStathanAloliKalinaar
  • AloliAloli Between Books
    I have to say, I absolutely love everything about it and I'm looking forward to how much fun I can have with it - even though I'm a Monk all the way through, this is the one other class I can picture Aloli easily going into.

@Tenshyo you're still going to tease about your Tekura being better than mine? :heart:
    Between what is said and not meant, and what is meant and not said, most of love is lost. - Khalil Gibran
    Kalinaar
  • BenedictoBenedicto Tentacles Errywhere!
    I've spent some time tinkering with the skills for this now and my initial thoughts are that it was designed very cautiously.

Psionics is a largely unrequired skill tree for combat and is primarily kitted out with duplicates of existing skills (flight, brazier, etc) and some interesting utility (RP/Subterfuge). The combat element of it consists of skills that have too small a window, but too much of a buff would cause them to be extremely trolltastic.

Zeal and Purification are where the heart of its combat viability lies, but things seem to be a few tweaks away from it being a class that will sit nicely amongst the others. One of the key issues is not having a way to strip shield until infernal procs.
    StineKalinaar
  • Rocking up in a zealot alt like
  • ImvraImvra Immortal Immortal
    Ancient Duamvi be like:
    BenedictoStathanSteele
  • In a somewhat related vein to the Zealot rework - the Duamvi subrace statblock seems largely useless and underwhelming compared to the others. I don't see why one would become a Duamvi except for basically roleplay purposes.

- Are visibly a host for the duamvi when looked at. - Cool story bro.
    - Can FORM LIGHT to create a globe of light. - Who can't see in the dark these days.
    - Has slightly increased max mana. - Okay, but how often is this gonna be useful.
    - Regenerates health in a temple. - Yo fight me in this temple bro.
    - Heals slightly less from the boar tattoo. - See above.
    - Has slightly lower regeneration of endurance. - Most spirit tether classes rely on endurance, but i'm sure it's not game breaking
    - Has slightly faster regeneration of willpower. - Shamans prob benefit the most, but the increase isn't so beneficial they can run another oath or something.
    - Do not need a focalmark to enact Purification skills. - Okay cool, but that's like a super basic and easy thing to do.
    - Is slightly more vulnerable to shadow damage. - Expected.

I just thought it'd have more interesting mechanics than this.
    "And finally, swear to Me: You will give your life to Dendara for you are Tiarna an-Kiar."
  • BenedictoBenedicto Tentacles Errywhere!
    edited January 2019
    Illidan said:

In a somewhat related vein to the Zealot rework - the Duamvi subrace statblock seems largely useless and underwhelming compared to the others. I don't see why one would become a Duamvi except for basically roleplay purposes.

- Are visibly a host for the duamvi when looked at. - Cool story bro.
    - Can FORM LIGHT to create a globe of light. - Who can't see in the dark these days.
    - Has slightly increased max mana. - Okay, but how often is this gonna be useful.
    - Regenerates health in a temple. - Yo fight me in this temple bro.
    - Heals slightly less from the boar tattoo. - See above.
    - Has slightly lower regeneration of endurance. - Most spirit tether classes rely on endurance, but i'm sure it's not game breaking
    - Has slightly faster regeneration of willpower. - Shamans prob benefit the most, but the increase isn't so beneficial they can run another oath or something.
    - Do not need a focalmark to enact Purification skills. - Okay cool, but that's like a super basic and easy thing to do.
    - Is slightly more vulnerable to shadow damage. - Expected.

I just thought it'd have more interesting mechanics than this.

I suppose they're similar to the Undead as a sub-race, without the nifty/different skills of Consanguine;

Undead sub-race
    ----------------------

An undead...

- Are visibly undead when looked at.
    - Can breathe underwater.
    - Has slightly increased max health.
    - Regenerates health in a graveyard.
    - Heals slightly less from the boar tattoo.
    - Has slightly faster regeneration of endurance.
    - Has slightly lower regeneration of willpower.
    - Uses less essence in Necromancy.
    - Regenerates blood slower when asleep.

The Consanguine of Aetolia, widely known as the Vampires, are also undead, and have several additional differences from those who are normal
    undead.

Consanguine (Vampire) sub-race
    ----------------------

A Consanguine...

- Has the same attributes as undead.
    - Are visibly vampiric instead of undead when looked at.
    - Involuntarily reduced to mist upon "death".
    - Does not regenerate blood while sleeping.
    - Suffers from damage and afflictions when in the sun.
    - Can FEED upon the denizens of the realm.
    - Can EARTHMELD to regain their corporeal form.
    - Can DIFFUSE MIST to regain their corporeal form in safety.
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    ya at least make it so they can breathe above water
    MjollZailaRazmael
  • Involuntarily reduced to a ball of light when they die or something similar would be a nice spirit side balance to the quicker death sequence vamps get.
    edited January 2019
    Benedicto is correct. Duamvi are the Spirit-Tether counterbalance of Undeath, not Consanguine. Therefore, their buffs and maluses must be fairly mirrored. There is no unique death sequence.
  • Kalinaar said:
    Involuntarily reduced to a ball of light when they die or something similar would be a nice spirit side balance to the quicker death sequence vamps get.
     You guys better start roasting in the moonlight then.
    (Web): Toz says, "Emir's Express Evacuation and Existence Eradicator, Every Experience is Explosive - Experience the Entirety of your Existence!"
    TozBenedicto
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    Fighting evil by moonlight
    Winning love by daylight
    Never running from a real fight
    Tekias
  • TekiasTekias Wisconsin
    BTW, just clarifying my Disagree: I only clicked it for the sad face because now that damn song's stuck in my head.

Hi.

• So do undead take increased damage from spirit attacks or?
    "And finally, swear to Me: You will give your life to Dendara for you are Tiarna an-Kiar."
  • PhoeneciaPhoenecia The Merchant of Esterport Somewhere in Attica
    So, something I've realized about the duamvi thing in the couple of days since it was released. I know it's supposed to be the Spirit side equivalent of undeath, but it honestly strikes me as more of a Light/Enorian-specific thing. The reason I say that is because it doesn't really seem like anyone in Duiran would care or even want to be a Duamvi host, at least from a thematic standpoint. Also, this might be just me, but undeath kind of has the perk (from an RP standpoint, anyway) of, y'know, living forever. What's the perk of being a Duamvi host? You don't live forever, you have a creepy tentacle spirit thing fused to your chest, and the impression I get is that if you get separated from the symbiote, you die like Trill in Star Trek.
  • @Phoenecia There's no real reason for anyone in Spinesreach to want to become undead, if you want a comparison. Undeath is only culturally significant in Bloodloch.
    SteeleTekiasBenedicto
  • KerocKeroc A small cupboardAdministrator, Immortal
    Young symbiotes are already many Sapien lifespans. Your union grants some influence and familiarity from their experiences in a subconscious way, like remembering to ride a bike after you haven't for ages. You also obtain a stronger ability in casting magic (especially Spirit oriented magic) as the strain is now handled by two beings who are linked together.

Downside is that the Shadow element is a lot more dangerous, even just breathing air laden with it would be quite miserable for a Duamvi. Almost like breathing smog, if not worse.

The perks are downplayed a bit mechanically as it's just not worth the balancing headache, but I think there's plenty of fun reasons to be a Duamvi. But as pointed out, yeah, it's not really for Duiran. In fact they might have some reasons for not really liking the idea of the Duamvi, however it is still better then undead running around loose.
    Kalinaar
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    get that worm away from me
    MoxieKalinaar
    edited January 2019
    @Keroc That's kinda what I figured. The Duamvi symbiosis really reminded me of Star Trek Trill with the whole being affected by the symbiote's experiences.

Was just curious since, uh... you're pretty much shoving an alien in your chest for comparatively little gain. .__.

Kalinaar
    Phoenecia said:

@Keroc That's kinda what I figured. The Duamvi symbiosis really reminded me of Star Trek Trill with the whole being affected by the symbiote's experiences.

Was just curious since, uh... you're pretty much shoving an alien in your chest for comparatively little gain. .__.

There are reasons you may want to help the Duamvi, such as that they brought the current teachings of the Templar, and helped the Zealots improve their own skills. This all in turn helps Enorian/Duiran fight off Shadow. But ultimately, I think it's a perfectly fine stance to not be keen. It is a big ask to join together with an unknown symbiote and share as one after all.

You'll sadden @Imvra though. She loves her babby duamvi.
  • RhyotRhyot Bloodloch
    I feel like you really didnt enjoy the movie Venom, @Phoenecia

You guys are symbiotes now. Enjoy being a host and having split personalities. Would make for great roleplay. I see nothing but good things from this. 

• TekiasTekias Wisconsin
    Question: Mechanically speaking, can a Shadow-side do this symbiosis? Or is it locked to Spirit?

Hi.

• Tekias said:

Question: Mechanically speaking, can a Shadow-side do this symbiosis? Or is it locked to Spirit?

You can ride on my shoulders and we can pretend, buddy.

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

TeaniMoxieSteeleBenedictoKalinaar
    Rhyot said:
    I feel like you really didnt enjoy the movie Venom, @Phoenecia

You guys are symbiotes now. Enjoy being a host and having split personalities. Would make for great roleplay. I see nothing but good things from this. 
    I actually did like that movie. But remember that Eddie had to feed constantly, particularly on people, to keep Venom from devouring his organs internally.
    Tekias said:

Mechanically, the only thing that prevents it right now is undeath. Realistically though, it is a Spirit-side toy. You'd end up with many factions breathing down your neck, not to mention near killing yourself trying to make use of Shadow based skills.
  • ZailaZaila Pacific Time
    Phoenecia said:

The Duamvi symbiosis really reminded me of Star Trek Trill with the whole being affected by the symbiote's experiences.

Personally, I imagined this more like Star Gate Goa'uld/Tokra

Clearly Tokra, cause there are the good guy version >.>
    StathanTekiasBenedicto
  • TekiasTekias Wisconsin
    Keroc said:

Tekias said:

Realistically though, it is a Spirit-side toy. You'd end up with many factions breathing down your neck, not to mention near killing yourself trying to make use of Shadow based skills.
    Well I figured -that-. I was just, uhh, asking for a friend. >.> Who totally isn't Shadow-side and married to an undead vampire to pull a true worldly yin-yang-like thing without a tether swap. <.<

Hi.

Stathan
  • AxiusAxius where I am
    edited January 2019
    yeah, Teks was asking for me. I was intently curious as an Archivist/Teradrim if I'd be able to get in on that Symbiote action. Get a third voice in the twin harmonic voice that Axius walks around with.

Afterall, gotta expand this first line:

He is an intelligent Idreth Earthen of Arqeshi heritage Chiav.

Just imagine it...

He is an intelligent Duamvi Idreth Earthen of Arqeshi heritage Chiav.
    KerocMoxieZaila