Lore questions.

Comments

• Vyxsis said:

here's my lore question:

where is The Hundred Dead hidden? please send the answer to me via dm

Keep asking on forums and it'll be The Hundred-and-One dead ;) .
    KandaraEmirSteeleVyxsisFezzixTeani
  • Tedrunai said:

Vyxsis said:

here's my lore question:

come and see the violence inherent in the system! help, help! i'm being repressed!
    Indoran'i is back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (wolf Howl)
    An Atzob cultist says, "Is a shamatato as tasty as a potato?"
    (Tells): From afar, Mephistoles hisses harshly to you, "Hey baby, show me your ovipositor?"
    The mighty Jy'Barrak Golgotha opens his maw, catches the glowing spear in his many jagged teeth, and chomps down. The Divine spear breaks with a noise like thunder, shards toppling from the Emperor's jaws. "OM NOM NOM!" He declares, then spits the last of the ruined weapon from his lips.

• TekiasTekias Wisconsin
    Listen. Strange adventurers searching for and distributing swords is no basis for a system of establishing pantheons.
    Formerly: Spiegel. Eidycue.

Hi.

VyxsisSteeleLuas
  • Tekias said:

Listen. Strange adventurers searching for and distributing swords is no basis for a system of establishing pantheons.

SUPREME DIVINE POWER DERIVES FROM A MANDATE FROM THE MASSES
    (Tells): From afar, Mephistoles hisses harshly to you, "Hey baby, show me your ovipositor?"
    The mighty Jy'Barrak Golgotha opens his maw, catches the glowing spear in his many jagged teeth, and chomps down. The Divine spear breaks with a noise like thunder, shards toppling from the Emperor's jaws. "OM NOM NOM!" He declares, then spits the last of the ruined weapon from his lips.

• Ok, so two things this event has put me wandering about. First Severn, before the grand artifice and Varian named him the god of lies, what was he known as among mortals? Like what did the Ankyreans know him as. God of knowledge, of help, Mr. Nice Guy? Secondly, Dam and Sev know about the seals and prison it seems fully, while other gods have holes in their memories about it. Which would make sense if this had been covered up by the Grand Artifice. This is from the Dreikanthi-Ankyrean war stuff though, so that means this was erased from history by Varian according to the timeline. So how do those two know about it? Is Varian's magic getting weaker over time like the grand artifice? Did Varian choose not to mess with the minds of the gods, and that was a Sev only thing with the grand artifice? Do wonder twin powers activate when they are together and they can become stronger than Varian by taking the form of Sarapis and the shape of the true history? Why do the twins know something Varian erased?
    KandaraAishiaOonaghPazradymVyxsis
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    How come the Aechrian Vape Coil isn't for sale any more?! Did the Albedos folk decide our people were not ready for vaping yet? Wouldn't vaping let us save precious herbs and stop us from all dying of rebounding related lung cancer!?
    ZailaOonaghPazradymStineTekias
  • ImvraImvra Immortal Immortal
    edited October 2018
    This is a little difficult to answer, since many people take what is said on the forums In Game. So I will answer this by prefacing it with: If I Hear It In Game I Will Smack You.

Severn used to be known as the God of Reason. He and Lanos, now Damariel, were Varian's first children. Reason and Truth, while also serving as the gateways/conduits of the elements Shadow and Spirit. As the eldest and the most canonically powerful in the Pantheon, Sapience was their responsibility. Just as Varian can take and remove power from the Gods, so too can He take their memory. He left it with the Twins so that They could guard the prisons.
    OonaghStineAxiusKandaraTekiasPazradym
  • TekiasTekias Wisconsin
    While I'm sure this is/has been covered in the game, but I honestly can't recall where or when it was, I'll ask here:

Each of the Divine can be, roughly, said to be an Elemental or Virtuous Essence occupying/hijacking a Mortal Shell. We have Galleus/Maghak as Air+Shell, Rahn/Auresae/Ethne as Fire+Shell, etc. When they reincarnate into a new Divine (see aforementioned examples, not cases like Severn who seem to body-jump), does the Essence retain the memories with a new personality (aka Doctor Who Regeneration), or is it a brand new being stepping into the former's role?

Also, if the basis of my question is off, plz correct as well.
    Formerly: Spiegel. Eidycue.

Hi.

edited October 2018
    The Sapience Pantheon are not Elementals (in terms of the elemental races, however it is a phrase often applied to the Elemental divine - Maghak/Tanixalthas, Ethne, Slyphe, etc), but they are the links/conduits through which the elemental planes interact with Prime. This is why things go so poorly every time a Fire God dies and needs to find a new vessel. Sentient water meters if you will. The Gods are, in root, essence that Varian gave a purpose to, and a realm to oversee.

When that essence takes a new vessel, the more morally inclined Gods tend to develop a new name and retain an imprint of the vessel's personality and memories. Some, like Severn or Omei, do not. Dhar is a clear exception, having no vessel needed to contain His essence.

With the examples you have given, it is more akin to Doctor Who regeneration.
    TekiasPazradymAxius
  • Imvra said:

This is a little difficult to answer, since many people take what is said on the forums In Game. So I will answer this by prefacing it with: If I Hear It In Game I Will Smack You.

Severn used to be known as the God of Reason. He and Lanos, now Damariel, were Varian's first children. Reason and Truth, while also serving as the gateways/conduits of the elements Shadow and Spirit. As the eldest and the most canonically powerful in the Pantheon, Sapience was their responsibility. Just as Varian can take and remove power from the Gods, so too can He take their memory. He left it with the Twins so that They could guard the prisons.

bwahahaha i found out ICly, can't smack me now >:3c (obvs you could, but pls don't, i did it the right way)

I am disappointed but not unsurprised. Future lore discussions and answers will have tighter constraints.
    SteeleVyxsisIazamatLeanaKandaraMimotesh
  • Th
    Vyxsis said:

Imvra said:

bwahahaha i found out ICly, can't smack me now >:3c (obvs you could, but pls don't, i did it the right way)
    And this is why we can't have nice things.

IazamatLeanaMimoteshTeani
  • Imvra said:

I am disappointed but not unsurprised. Future lore discussions and answers will have tighter constraints.

wait, what? i was teasing, but like...

vyx asked lobyl a reasonable question based on earlier discussion... i don't see what's wrong with that? the conversation was literally something like "yo, you told us what the virtues used to be known as, but i realized you didn't tell us about the twins. how'd you know sevy?" and lobyl was all "we knew him as god of reason and logic" T_T

• 19:26:56 You say to Lobyl, an Ankyrean commander, "So, I still have a question, if you can spare a moment."
    19:27:25 You say, "Also, those eye sigils you asked for."
    19:28:17 Lobyl, an Ankyrean commander says, "What is it?"
    19:28:44 You say to Lobyl, an Ankyrean commander, "I know many weeks ago, you explained the roles that some of the Gods used to fill. The Virtues, in particular. I wondered, what did you know Lord Severn as?"
    19:31:15 Raising a brow, Lobyl, an Ankyrean commander says, "I knew Him as the God of Reason and logic. His domain was Shadow."
    19:32:55 You say to Lobyl, an Ankyrean commander, "Ah, I see. Interesting - I knew He must not have been known as Artificer or Manipulator at the time, but I could not recall what... well, thank you for sating my curiosity. Do you still require eye sigils? I could make more, if so."

this is the portion of the conversation that was done with SAYs, which is i think all but one or two statements from lobyl. i'm genuinely curious - is this not ok? i thought it was a very reasonable follow-up question based on something else he'd told a group of mortals early on in the event.

• edited October 2018
    You've had how many days to find out this information from Lobyl before Imvra posted it on the forums?

Then 3 days after she did post it, you're like, 'oh I found out ICly'. You just conveniently asked after you knew to ask?

Seems sketchy at best, I also don't know if that was a prog on Lobyl or if someone was controlling him. If someone was controlling him, then I see another problem.

Edit: Typing is hard ok lemme alone.

Edit #96: Then you came to the forums to make a joke about finding out ICly - to what purpose? If it was a comedic attempt, it missed the mark by a lot. It seems like baiting for the Admin more than anything.
    (Web): Toz says, "Emir's Express Evacuation and Existence Eradicator, Every Experience is Explosive - Experience the Entirety of your Existence!"
    IazamatTekiasLeanaKodaFezzix
  • i'm like 95% certain he was being controlled. coulda just said "i can't tell you that" or whatever if it was a problem.

to be clear, the question vyx was following up on was someone (i forget who? steele or maybe akaryuterra?) asking for a listing of what the gods were known as in lobyl's day. lobyl said the ones that changed the most were the virtues and listed them, but he didn't say anything about the others. even knowing to ask because of the forums - also lol like nobody does anything because of forums - doesn't mean it wasn't a legitimate RP decision. vyxsis has always been very inquisitive, researching all sorts of things. it's something she'd want to know about, especially considering her recent tangling with severn.

this whole "everything you do is suspicious and probably bad" thing is getting really old, y'all

LeanaAnsidia
  • Like I said, bait.
    (Web): Toz says, "Emir's Express Evacuation and Existence Eradicator, Every Experience is Explosive - Experience the Entirety of your Existence!"
    Leana
  • VyxsisVyxsis Vyxsis
    edited October 2018
    Emir said:

Edit #96: Then you came to the forums to make a joke about finding out ICly - to what purpose? If it was a comedic attempt, it missed the mark by a lot. It seems like baiting for the Admin more than anything.

i was trying to suggest - yes, in a humorous fashion - that the information is available via legitimate means in-game, but without directly stating how/where. i assumed the Admin would know how i found out in-game because it was via a possessed mob like literal minutes before my post, so no, it wasn't baiting in the slightest. if Admin don't talk to each other and make decisions on the basis of ignorance, that's their issue, not mine.

edit to add: tbc, i was operating under the assumption that an admin-controlled mob disclosing the info meant the above "don't you dare mention this in game" was no longer in effect. it hadn't occurred to me that either they didn't discuss telling someone or they told me despite not wanting it known in game. the latter, in particular, wouldn't make a lick of sense, especially when lobyl already has a handy ready-made excuse for saying he can't talk about various things.

• edited October 2018
    What's the limit on a Teradrim's earth manipulation powers? Are they similar to Avatar's earthbenders or do they have to be touching the earth they want to manipulate, a la Fullmetal Alchemist? I want to be consistent in RP and not overstep lore constraints!
  • KerocKeroc A small cupboardAdministrator, Immortal
    You need to touch the earth at the very least, mechanically you cannot use Terramancy skills from the sky for this reason.
    IazamatTeani
  • Thanks!
  • Tedrunai said:

Vyxsis said:

here's my lore question:

By this can I assume you have said sword if you can increase its kill count by killing @Vyxsis ?
  • to the above, i say... if you can get your hands on the sword somehow, you're welcome to try.

an actual lore question, though: what exactly does the term "Eld'akathai" signify? is it just the full, proper name for eld? does it signify some particular rank or kind of eld? i haven't located any mentions of the term beyond the ylem vendor's glyph artifact and Aiillassa in Delve - the latter is definitely an eld, but there's not much other context. thanks for any info.

• Is referring to bovine feces in terms of lies or otherwise unbelievable things inherently offensive to Severn and/or His followers?
    MjollVyxsisSteele
  • Is Bamathis meant to be a giant college football meme or did that happen 100% on accident?
    Iazamat
  • Emir said:

Is Bamathis meant to be a giant college football meme or did that happen 100% on accident?

ROLL TIDE

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

EmirFezzix
  • The only thing that can defeat the God of Strife is Clemson. Go Tigers!
    Church
  • Hi, we are having a bit of a minor disagreement on Discord about Avareti and Lanu Du. I was under the impression that she is a fragment or two of the Albedi Chaos God mashed into Khepri's remains and put into a Grecht, but a few people think she was Lanu Du itself. Could we get some clarification on that? It seems strange for Varian's left pinkie to be able to kill Lanu Du with a sword.
    Iazamat
    Lanu Du : Pig :: Avareti : that run off dripping after frying some bacon.

No Khepri involved at all, She is quite, quite gone.
    MjollMihaketiIazamatVyxsisArbre