Events post #244: The Leviathan (an interlude)

AutoposterAutoposter BotBot
edited October 2018 in Announce posts
<pre>10/19/2018 at 23:10
Everyone
The Leviathan (an interlude)

The Grand Aetolian Library cannot, regretfully, give a full and accurate accounting of what transpired concerning Omei, the Nightmare and Her theft of the starmetal leg of Damariel mot Lanosaryon, in the month of Midsummer, amidst the business with the Leviathan.

This monk's sole account of the events emerges from the hand of a Troll worker, whose command of Aetolian was suspect, whose grasp of writing - in both a literal and metaphorical sense - was yet worse, and whose distance from the events was such that even a Syssin of reasonable skill might have been challenged by the same circumstances.

Owing to these reasons, the parchment from which I am to compile a summary is marred by ink, misspellings, the worst grammar outside of the Nazedha isles, and worst of all, an offensively colloquial tone. Therefore it is with full apologies that we present, for the historical record, the words of Wngroct Hamgrist. We have corrected all that we can, and censored an explicative that is fully present in the source text:

Once upon a time during the business with the Leviathan, OMEI shows up in the western Tundra.
SHE is about to sneak down into the seal, except, when trying to soothe the nightmare prison SHE built,
IT HISSES AT HER!
and SHE says Shhh but it is too loud, too late-
and just like that:
ADVENTURERS show up, the great adventurers, the sort you want your children to grow up to be.
Hey, Fezzix says. OMEI. Isn't that DAMARIEL's leg?
No, says Omei. Why Would You Think That, says Omei.
Because it's DAMARIEL'S leg, says Fezzix.
Shut Up, says Omei. I Would Kill You, says Omei, (If it wouldn't draw MY SIBLINGS' attention.)
Just then, DAMARIEL awakes. Where Is My Leg, he shouts.

[An explative spoken by the Goddess Omei has been cleverly disguised by calligraphy, such that it resembles the shape of a unicorn in mid-leap.]

OMEI, asks one of the people. Why Do YOU Have The Leg?
No Reason, says Omei. For The Seal?
Oh dear, says Fezzix.
Oh dear, says Toz.
YOU'RE the Traitor, they say together.
Yes, says Omei: That seal will soon be broken. And you know what? I feel sorry for the Leviathan! I feel so, so sorry for the thing we imprisoned! I don't even remember what I did! I can't even control this nightmare thing I made! I DON'T REMEMBER MAKING IT! WHY SHOULDN'T I FEEL A LITTLE SORRY FOR I-
And Damariel appears.
SISTER, says Damariel, who limps upon a leg that is worse than His usual leg: I Want MY Leg.
Okay, says Omei, and gives it to Damariel before She keeps crying more, She says: I'm Sorry, I'm Sorry.
Damariel says, It Is Fine. (He is very angry, but says it anyway.)
Omei says, I Only Wanted To Fix The Gate.
Damariel knows this. He is angry but He forgives Her because He is Damariel the Unbound and greatest among forgivers. (I am a follower of Damariel mot Lanosaryon, so I like Him very much.)
I'm Scared, says Omei. Will The Leviathan Crush Us?
Damariel thinks so, but tells Her they are going to fight.
Omei says, Then I Will Prepare For War.
And off She goes, turning into raccoons.
Damariel stayed, but there were only mortals, and we were uninteresting.
So He left.
I do not blame him.

THE END

Penned by my hand on Gosday, the 13th of Midsummer, in the year 476 MA.</pre>
NilsTozDiogenRazmaelTekiasZailaBenedictoAishiaIazamatKandaraTeaniOonaghFezzix

Comments

• TekiasTekias Wisconsin
    Grand Aetolian Library, you got any openings for scribes? Get this man a job!
    Formerly: Spiegel. Eidycue.

Hi.

Zaila
  • PhoeneciaPhoenecia The Merchant of Esterport Somewhere in Attica
    I'm gonna voice an unpopular opinion here and say I'm not terribly fond of this style of events post? It came off as a little confusing. Especially for something that's essentially an official record of major events in game.
    KandaraVyxsisLeanaLuas
  • Phoenecia said:

I'm gonna voice an unpopular opinion here and say I'm not terribly fond of this style of events post? It came off as a little confusing. Especially for something that's essentially an official record of major events in game.

please allow me to make your opinion more unpopular by voicing my agreement
    Indoran'i is back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (wolf Howl)
    An Atzob cultist says, "Is a shamatato as tasty as a potato?"
    (Tells): From afar, Mephistoles hisses harshly to you, "Hey baby, show me your ovipositor?"
    The mighty Jy'Barrak Golgotha opens his maw, catches the glowing spear in his many jagged teeth, and chomps down. The Divine spear breaks with a noise like thunder, shards toppling from the Emperor's jaws. "OM NOM NOM!" He declares, then spits the last of the ruined weapon from his lips.

XeniaKandaraLuasGaladriel
  • ZailaZaila Pacific Time
    I like it because it feels way more in character than a lot of the newsposts that are more just "eye in the sky summary".

Also, it strikes as a story that didn't really NEED to be told for the overall arc of the event, but it was fun, so they told it in a fun way. More unnecessary and fun stories, please!
    TekiasIazamatXenia
  • TekiasTekias Wisconsin
    BTW, don't take my post as saying I want this kind of news coverage ALL the time. But once in a while? Yes plz.

Hi.

Zaila
  • @Fezzix and I as Thing 1 and Thing 2 has put me in a Dr. Seuss mood.

Comm theft is small times. We're teaming up and stealing Christmas.

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

OonaghVyxsisFezzix
  • ADVENTURERS show up, the great adventurers, the sort you want your children to grow up to be.

Nobody should want their children to grow up to be like Fezzix.

VyxsisRaahTekiasTozOonaghTeani
  • Fezzix said:

ADVENTURERS show up, the great adventurers, the sort you want your children to grow up to be.

FezzixVyxsisTekiasKelliaraTeani
  • Oonagh said:

Fezzix said:

HOW MANY TIMES D'WE HAVE TO DO DIS DAAAMN SCENE?! Whoa, 'scuse me, toots.
    OonaghVyxsisTekiasKelliaraTeaniTiur
  • TekiasTekias Wisconsin
    And the winners of "Who can make Tekias choke half to death on an apple cinnamon bar" are...

Hi.

Vyxsis
  • Maghak said:

As a matter of fact, the Indoron, and through them the Indorani, are the single biggest antagonist group outside of the Dreikathi and the Ankyreans themselves.

I've thought a while on this, and in the end, I think the past words of the admin sum it up well enough. Indorani were the universal villains. You should wanna see them beat down and lose, you should be cheering for them to get what's coming to them. It means they are playing the villain role well. They lived up to what was expected of them I think, and as for how they'd go out, it seems a fitting end for villains I suppose. While around, they should have constantly been a threat to everyone. Everything in an IC context, I think they played the role perfectly and there wasn't much other way it could turn out, if not this time, then some other time.

That said they served an important role. You need villains, real villains not supplied by the admin. Not just sides wherever everyone thinks they are right, but people who know they are wrong and don't care. Universal villains. You need something to play against when admin aren't hosting events, or that's the only time people will get involved. I hope that down the road another org takes over this mantle, or the admin back something to establish antagonists again that don't need constant admin support. Something with backing so they can't just be ignored.

And I'd ask everyone to keep in mind, since I've heard this said often, just because someone is playing a villain doesn't mean they are wrong and should be ignored. Making you hate them and wanting to see them smacked down, that doesn't make them toxic to the game. It makes them a good villain, and somebody that is necessary to keep the game entertaining, and keep us all involved. They are playing a character well, not being toxic and trying to destroy the game. Think how boring your DnD games would be if there was never conflict in the party, and the only adversaries and antagonists came from the DM. Or any other multi player game. For my part, I'll remember the long history of the Indorani and the role they played as antagonists of Sapience fondly.
    KandaraTragerLeana