Newbie Q&A

Comments

• TiurTiur Producer
    We'll talk about it, kinda iffy on changing Wayfarers. They're supposed to be different, truly neutral, and a bit harder. Also, coding it so that they pick a guild would be of an obnoxiousness level I don't want to take on. Blech.
    ElliotStine
  • Could just remove the master tag requirement on multiclass!

StineIazamat
  • That’s why I tried to hedge my statement, I know the guild newbie code is pretty straightforward on how it all works on the outside but behind the scenes may be crazy for Wayfarers since they don’t have a guild associated. 

I understand the aesthetic is that they’re supposed to be neutral, but as long as they have a choice to start in a city they may as well get a choice to start in a guild, or have the availability if the Wayfarer class is their only clsss, regardless of how learned it is.

I appreciate you guys at least chatting about it to see if there’s anything that can be done!
  • Stine said:

That’s why I tried to hedge my statement, I know the guild newbie code is pretty straightforward on how it all works on the outside but behind the scenes may be crazy for Wayfarers since they don’t have a guild associated. 

I understand the aesthetic is that they’re supposed to be neutral, but as long as they have a choice to start in a city they may as well get a choice to start in a guild, or have the availability if the Wayfarer class is their only clsss, regardless of how learned it is.

I appreciate you guys at least chatting about it to see if there’s anything that can be done!

Looking at the otherside of things, you starting in a guild -without- the guild's class isn't being apart of that guild. You're still an outsider because the guild is themed around the guild's class. Much of the point of guilds is reveling in the aspects of your training/history/lore. Indorani, for example, are necromancers who use tarot to affect the real world and make pacts with chaos demons. A wayfarer wouldn't be an Indorani, even in the guild, because you wouldn't really be able to do the tasks required to 'awaken your heritage'. Secret cult stuff.

So I see where they're at with this.

StinePazradym
  • That's a really good point, I hadn't thought of it like that. I was just considering the 'help newbies in any way' side of it. Thanks for pointing that out @leana.
    Leana
  • How do I become a full vampire?
    Note: I chose nightstalker as my class.
  • TiurTiur Producer
    Either find a player to SIRE/EMBRACE via the House system and RP, or visit Vinessa. I recommend the first option! Vinessa will bypass and just give class, but it's much less great and has no chance of changing your mind.
    Leana
  • If someone sets off an XP firework, as a classless, guildless, living Rogue, do I get to collect on Spirit AND Shadow tether based fireworks?
  • ZailaZaila Pacific Time
    You collect based on tether - even if you are classless, you have a tether, that tether will be whichever tether the last city you were a member of holds.
    So, if you started the game in Bloodloch or Spines then went rogue you'll be booned by shadow tether fireworks, if you started in Eno or Duiran, you will be booned by spirit tether fireworks 
    Sklax
  • edited October 2018
    Are players required to pick a city first because of just this, so they dont get to use both tethers?

Why cant novices start without picking a city, after Slavers Isle?
  • Sklax said:

Are players required to pick a city first because of just this, so they dont get to use both tethers?

Why cant novices start without picking a city, after Slavers Isle?

That would be because the bulk of the game's activities and RP are tied to the cities. It's a means of funneling new players into the bulk of the content - and guidance - rather than having them roam aimlessly.
    Sklax
  • TiurTiur Producer
    There's actually a hidden third tether in the code of "Nothing" and it does... nothing. Technically, a nothing person could fire off a firework, and nothing would happen. I wrote a message for it, even.

But they wouldn't exist. It tends to just default to whatever you were most recently.
    DidiSteelePazradym
  • edited October 2018
    How many rooms total exist on Asper? I need to know for some calculations, please.
  • @Sklax At a quick glance, roughly 102 rooms. Might be more or less, but this is the number of mapped rooms I have in Asper.
    Sklax
  • edited October 2018
    New to Aetolia, I was wondering how i go about being a shadow aligned monk as when i created my character my only guild choice for monk was the sentaari, ive tried reading help files but couldnt find an answer.

-Askren
  • AnteheAntehe Immortal
    You first would need to create your character in a Shadow-tethered city, or join one (Bloodloch or Spinesreach). Then, you would need someone to apprentice you. You can obtain the class for free from a guilded Sentaari (who are unlikely to apprentice an enemy), or for 40 credits from a rogue monk.
  • Askren said:

New to Aetolia, was wonder how i go about being a shadow aligned monk as when i created my character my only guild choice for monk was the sentaari, ive tried reading help files but couldnt find an answer.

-Askren

Monks are a neutral class, tetherwise-- This means that you CAN play a monk on either side of the Spirit/Shadow divide. That said, the monk guild is the Sentaari, so you'll first get corraled there. From there, once you've mastered the class you can leave and join any guild or city. That said, you might be surprised and enjoy Sentaari life. Who knows!
    Now with 253% more Madness.
    Cute-Kelli by @Sessizlik.
    TeaniLeana
  • Hi, I'm new and coming from many years of experience with Achaea. Are there any graphical maps of Aetolia? I have google searched and searched the forums and website but no luck yet. It would help me to get a sense of the lay of the areas, with a map larger than the one in Nexus. Thanks!
  • TekiasTekias Wisconsin
    (TOTES A JOKE Y'ALL)

I got one here for you. It's a bit rough, but I think it's still current.

That said, I'd love to see a real map of Aetolia like the one I've seen of Lusternia back in the day.
    Formerly: Spiegel. Eidycue.

Hi.

• Tekias said:

(TOTES A JOKE Y'ALL)

I got one here for you. It's a bit rough, but I think it's still current.

That said, I'd love to see a real map of Aetolia like the one I've seen of Lusternia back in the day.

Tried path finding Awesome Town but nothing happened.

• TekiasTekias Wisconsin
    That's the REAL name, but it doesn't fit the Pathfinding Landmark system. Try Spinesreach.
    Formerly: Spiegel. Eidycue.

Hi.

• AnteheAntehe Immortal
    We do not have an updated one, and more graphic ones have been attempted and ended in tears and booze. Not all areas make a lot of sense for where they connect to (lots of filler space needed around them, which means we can introduce some new content as we chip away at that).

Here are what I've found

Teani said:

I just thought I'd share this. It's been in my "Should probably fix"-folder for a long time, just adding a few things here and there when I've felt like it. @Hadrak reminded me of it because of that awesome Albedos map.

ZailaRaekenTekiasKelliara
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    Speaking of maps:
    * The world "dot"-map has been removed from the Aetolian website for some reason. I'm working on making a new, updated one, but I've been sort of busy.
    * @Admin - This ---> website <--- needs fixing, as it refers to icky Imperian. :tongue:

• I just made a nightstalker and I tried to use a few abilities on the beetles in Bloodloch. It said these could not be used on NPCs. Are most of the skills on the nightstalker only used on PCs? I am not really into PvP.
  • TiurTiur Producer
    Most abilities are utility or PvP, yes. Combat with NPCs is not the most varied thing, which we're working on. It does get more complicated at higher levels, though!
  • Tiur said:

Most abilities are utility or PvP, yes. Combat with NPCs is not the most varied thing, which we're working on. It does get more complicated at higher levels, though!

That'd be great. Thank!

If I may ask out of ignorance, never really played before: what is the rationale between having PC or NPC locked abilities?
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    Besides doing damage to an NPC, the affliction system is just too complicated to apply most skills to (MOST) NPCS in any meaningful way. They don't heal or use of cures while you're attacking them. (For the most part) So the only skills that tend to work are skills JUST for doing damage. (For the most part again, some exceptions exist!)
  • TiurTiur Producer
    Honestly, because NPCs are built differently than players. If we could remake Aetolia, we could make more abilities work on the enemies, but we're not sure it's worth it? Most PvP abilities are attack-counter based, the enemies would essentially just be as good as the AI we programmed them to have. Again, not a terrible idea, just not sure it's worth it.

We do have a steadily increasing enemy AI that's being upgraded, though!
  • Many thanks for explaining this to me. I can see how the struggle between meaningful abilities for NPCs vs PCs can be very hard. Hindsight is 20/20 :)
  • So... weird question from a returning player (I haven't played since high school). Are the staff/volunteers going to get annoyed at me for submitting too many typo reports? I think I put in about half a dozen today and I swear, I can stop if it's annoying!