Mildly Irritating: Aetolia's Pet Peeves

Comments

• edited September 2018
    The massive wheel comes to a stop with a sickly flash of green light. It shudders for a moment before
    rewarding you with Skill Gain.
    Your skill in Frost has increased.
    I was already trans Frost. Thanks, Aetolia.
    Aloli
  • TiurTiur Producer
    Iazamat said:

The massive wheel comes to a stop with a sickly flash of green light. It shudders for a moment before
    You're Trans everything, what else can it do? :P
    Aloli
  • Curse/kill/aff/gender change/arti drop/booby prize/sandman/direcall like it used to! :(

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

IazamatZailaTeaniMimoteshKadeuceusSaritaLeanaAxiusXenia
  • Tiur said:

Iazamat said:

You're Trans everything, what else can it do? :P
    Give me lessons for use in skills in the future or for the purpose of class switching. Alternatively, take it out of the wheel. Honestly, the free wheel spins are awful and having this happen doesn't help that perception or make me want to spend money on this promotion.
    LeanaAloli
  • Killer Frost!
  • TiurTiur Producer
    I keep seeing the code for the old 'prizes' and being surprised players put up with that. They seem terrible!

No, I won't take free skill increases off the wheel. There are plenty of players who are happy to get a little bonus just for logging in for an hour. It's not even part of the paid wheel stuff, it's just a nice thing for everyone.
  • You could also get much better stuff to balance out the bad. Artifacts, a straight level gain/loss, surviving affs was bragging rights. The good AND bad ramped up and only one wheel in Delos meant you'd hang out with an audience and watch the spins, it was a lot of fun.

oh wait, toz is famous

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

you disgust me

IazamatZailaTeaniMimoteshKadeuceusLeana
  • Mebbe run a check to see if someone is omnitrans, and if they are, give crit increase or something instead? Keep skill increases for others, of course.
    Formerly: Spiegel. Eidycue.

Hi.

• #deletePromotions2018
    Toz says, "Dishonor on you (Mjoll), dishonor on your family (Seirath), dishonor on your cow (Bulrok)"
    IazamatLeanaVyxsisKandaraXeniaYrthyra
  • ZailaZaila Pacific Time
    I am definitely in the "it was way more fun to get a losing spin and have something to RP/OOC chat about than get something boring and positive" camp.
    Leana
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    edited September 2018
    "Do I dare spin and risk RNG gods hitting me with instant death? Is my curing good enough to survive all afflictions in the game at the same time? No. Will I spin anyway? Yes, because oh sweet goodness, please give me that awesome artifact!"
    Spin wheel.
    *anxious waiting*
    Crack! You have been turned into a maggot for 5 days. Enjoy the stomping!
    *flail* *flee the crowd that stands gleefully watching, already raising their boots*

Back when there were risks with spinning the wheel, but also the potential for something seriously awesome, it was a thrill to go to Delos and try your luck. Sure, it's nice to get something for nothing, but I'd rather it be something awesome, with risks as a balance. Perhaps make it possible to SPIN WHEEL DARE or something, for those who want that kind of gamble, while leaving the normal spin to those who prefer the steady positive gains, @Tiur?

IazamatTekiasMimoteshDidiLeanaZaila
  • tl;dr promos haven't power creeped like we have

When I started playing in like 2010 (holy crap), a level of like 140 was mind-blowing. Being omni-trans was just sort of a requirement for pk (OMNI THEN ARTIES as the advice), and @Tralendar was scary because he had all level 3s. There was also a bigger population, but I think honestly the real 'excitement' was both infrequency of promos and how much 3 cr was worth back then. The power creep is kind of nuts when you look at it, with people having multiple classes (and arties for all of them) vs back then, but maybe I just had my rose-tinted glasses on back in those days. Double xp and +crit was also WAY rarer, so even getting those was a 'good' thing, where you'd go bash like crazy. Now we're all hitting level 100 in a weekend, +crit and +xp aren't...really huge deals. Blessings are nice, I suppose, and the xp which USED to be good is paltry because we're all level 100+...

The wheel got made plainer, and rewarded less, a long while back (I think all our RNG stuff was deemed OP by the other IREs and nerfed? Or maybe just a handful), and never really recovered since. And asking $10 for an initial buy-in means I'm staying away, and I love gambling promos. There's nothing exciting in the wheel except for artifacts- literally everything else I can get for cheaper (mints cheap, chalices cheap, grimstim pills still clutter my inv, I got a blessing the other day, etc.)

Issue isn't the wheel is boring, the issue is everything that made the wheel not boring is either gone (to account for the balancing down of too good) and everything that made it exciting or unique is available elsewhere.

oh wait, toz is famous

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

you disgust me

IazamatLeanaMimotesh
  • Skull tokens were once 1.99, then 4.99 and now 9.99 - I feel like im not the only one who has seen this.

Though the prizes back when they were 1.99 were different and to some perhaps better.

Now, I am not sure its as enjoyable as it once was. I know I have brought this up once before and been told that the skull token prices were never the lower prices, but I am absolutely positive they were based on paypal charges.
    IazamatLeana
  • Try your hand at the Wheel of Fates! This package contains 15 Skull Tokens, each one giving you another chance to spin the Wheel of Fates.
    $24.99

oh wait, toz is famous

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

you disgust me

IazamatLeanaKadeuceus
  • I've gotten 30 cr twice, a piece of chest, a chest, and some relic pieces. My chest gave me 10cr and 6 silver, 10 x2 of random pills. I think I also got 200 lessons.

Those were paid spins. This promotion is garbage. The only time I got my moneys worth at all was just /barely/ with the 30cr ($10 in credits WITH A MEMBERSHIP is 28cr) and technically, in terms of cash value, the 200 lessons. The lessons are very unappealing for anyone not a newbie, however, and newbies would be better of spending money on straight credits for the conversion bonus. The fact that I can get a piece of a chest is almost rage inducing, considering it's 1/3rd of a chest and a chest is/was 30cr in value on average. I understand it's gambling, but if I'm not going to at least break even then why in the hell would I ever spend money on this promo again? Disclaimer: I could be misremembering the piece of a chest, but I'm pretty positive. All of my spins have been lackluster and disappointing, and more paid spins than free spins. 

My advice to everyone? Unless you're just so desperate to win some 2k credit artifact off of $10, spend your money on straight credits, not on tokens. There's no chance you're going to hit some jackpot and get more credits than what you paid for, but there's also no chance you're going to lose money on the deal either.
    (Web): Toz says, "Emir's Express Evacuation and Existence Eradicator, Every Experience is Explosive - Experience the Entirety of your Existence!"
    Iazamat
  • Double post:

To add on to my perceived shittyness of this promo, someone informed me they couldn't even use the free spins because they didn't have enough time logged within the last 30 days or something. el oh el. I hope that's an oversight or they were bullshitting me.
    (Web): Toz says, "Emir's Express Evacuation and Existence Eradicator, Every Experience is Explosive - Experience the Entirety of your Existence!"
  • edited September 2018
    There used to be one wheel and it moved, you had a rod and you had to seek it out like a lesser foci. Then you'd spin and it'd move again. You could spin countless times and it had the good and bad prizes. It was crazy. It got moved to Delos and a cooldown was put in place because some people (like me) would spin it ten or twenty times a night and got way more good than bad.
    Tiur said:

I keep seeing the code for the old 'prizes' and being surprised players put up with that. They seem terrible!

If there is no bad, the good is far less good.

No one put up with the old 'prizes', it was an event. A fun event with risk and reward. You could get screwed in a fun way or rewarded in a crazy good way. The prizes now all suck.

They're all monetary and BORING. No monetary prize will ever be enjoyable because the number could always be more and so there's a little bit of resentment each time there's a reward.

If I had to choose between horrible death and 0.01% exp, 1000 gold, 7 lessons to a skill I haven't trained (or 0 to one I've maxed out), and a blessing of some sort, I'd pick death.

I spin for the chance at a skull token, for the chest piece, and for a random useful prize like a pipe. I don't have fun and I don't enjoy it. I do it because it's there and free. If it wasn't, I wouldn't even care.
    Tiur said:

No, I won't take free skill increases off the wheel. There are plenty of players who are happy to get a little bonus just for logging in for an hour. It's not even part of the paid wheel stuff, it's just a nice thing for everyone.

How do you know there are plenty of players happy with the wheel? How are we sure the constant disappointment, when the monetary rewards aren't enough and the extremely boring other rewards aren't useful, isn't some final nail in the coffin to quit Aetolia and mudding for good for someone?

Aetolia has no feedback system for its customers aside from the forums, unless I've missed out on it.

I don't understand why the wheel is still a promotion. I assume a lot of money is spent when it's around for paid spins. I feel like I'm on some alien planet where everyone wipes their butt with sandpaper and uses lemon juice on cuts. The wheel is an awful promotion. It's boring, the rewards aren't enticing, they're just a different version of giftbags or cryptic chests. When given infinite creativity, the game gives me 765 gold. It could have sent me to the chaos plane. It could turn me into a non-player race. It could afflict me with the 'moving furniture' affliction for a day. It could give me a FIGURINE. (those gone for good?)

IazamatZailaKadeuceus
  • Leana's right. It could give style scrolls (that are basically unobtainable at this point, from what I can gather) or voxes, old and new. It feels like these cosmetic systems were abandoned in favour of... nothing. I'd love to have chances at older style scrolls, for example, without having to spend an arm and a leg.
    LeanaKadeuceus
  • Style scrolls, iterators, flairs, unique shields, element shrouds, figurines (which had unique rewards for completing sets), and probably more I can't remember. Gone. Made rare due to them no longer existing.

• TiurTiur Producer
    Totally valid discussions, but let's move them to the stickied promotion thread? I do collect the info.

I regularly shift style scrolls, voxes, etc. I haven't had a return to flair/shields/shrouds. I can do that.

Figurines were abhorred. I don't know what it is, but Aetolia gathered together and said "WE HATE THEM" and they died.
  • ZailaZaila Pacific Time
    Someone with a full compliment of examples of "old versus new" wheel (lets compare just the free spins - skull tokens are a different beast) should make a poll so we can see if anyone who uses the forum prefers the new way.

And then somehow we can all coerce our friends who don't use the forum to come vote on their preferences as well so the admin can get an actual sense of if it's just a handful of us that think the new, toothless wheel prizes are crap and we actually want some chance of failure back in our game to make it more fun.
  • Group-only PvPers who don't use CONFIG SAFEPK ON. You don't have any reason not to, and it would save everyone multiple headaches if you just would. Please. Please, for all of us.
    EmirMjoll
  • amazing
  • StathanStathan Hot springs
    "Do I like my shines?" "No" "Get Loud!" <-- That...so many shrines.
    Oonagh
  • Stathan said:
    "Do I like my shines?" "No" "Get Loud!" <-- That...so many shrines.
    If the person doesn't have a shrine, is it done on a lottery basis or can the offender "anonymously" send in a suggestion?

(Illuminai): Saltz says, "Moxie is just doing the Moxie thing to do, often misinterpreted."

(Tells): Sir Iames Gallant, the Executioner tells you, "The one Illuminai beyond prayer, I swear."

Valingar: "How could a daughter of me, the most noble man in the south, be so heartless?"

(Tells): Haven Locke, Illuminai Khimaira tells you, "Be that as it may, I've also seen the strength in you. You can take care of yourself."
  • I just do HELP <your guild> or HELP <your city> as applicable!

oh wait, toz is famous

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

you disgust me

MoxieZaila
  • Jokes aside, seriously. If you find yourself talking shit on darkies for trying to PK you outside of Foci or Orrery, turning on the SAFEPK config will go a long ways in decreasing PK and associated salt you find in your life.
    TozIazamatOonaghSklax
  • AxiusAxius where I am
    There's some situations where I'm looking at code-based workarounds to try and not have to put someone who doesn't deserve it on the IGNORE list. All because their name is exactly the same as someone who I am -trying- to interact with..with 3 additional letters appended at the end. I know I've grumped about it before, and people repeatedly go "OH. JUST USE NAMETELLS" but my first instinct is to -not- use Nametells because I've appended TELL to my tells for -years-. it'd be kind of hard to break the habit. And I'm sure it looks sleazy as heck for my guy to be talking to this strange person with three extra letters in their name as if they were his fiance or spouse >.<

I swear, it'd be easier to toggle a similar function with TELLS.. or maybe allow us to do TELL name. blahblahblah so that the period basically prevents autofill from coming in.
  • ^tell briar (.+)$

send("config nametell full"..sep.."briar "..matches[2]..sep.."config nametell off")

Unless I'm misunderstanding how the config works, you should be able to get away with an alias that does it for you?