Announce post #2875: Hunting skillset

<pre>8/30/2018 at 12:03
Keroc, the Starborn
Everyone
Hunting skillset

Hey folks,

The first step to upgrading our PvE system is here! You should now find that you will have a new general skillset named Hunting, filled a number of skills relevant to, well, hunting denizens.

This skillset is a special one, as it does not require lessons to upgrade. Instead each level you obtain will further upgrade the skillset until it will become transcendant at level 120. You can type AB HUNTING RANKS to see at what level you will obtain a new ability.

For now it will hold a lot of abilities you should already be familiar with. In the future though, it'll have some new abilities that have yet to be seen.

There are a few changes however that may want to know about:

- PvE damage is now modified by the Might skill.
- Hunger can now deplete to the 'not hungry' status regardless of level 80.
* This state is not low enough to cause hunger issues, so don't worry too much.
- Tiredness can now deplete to the 'do not need sleep' status on its own regardless of level 80.
* Like hunger, this state is not low enough to cause sleep issues.
- Renew is no longer an endgame ability, and is now in Hunting.
* The custom messages still exist for the various endgame races.
- Removed the base endgame racial perks that include:
* Health and mana regeneration.
* Willpower and endurance regeneration.
* Blood and clotting regeneration.
- Racial willpower/endurance regen has been lowered to 3, down from 8.

Some of the removed racial tools have been re-implented in various forms, however a couple have been outright removed to help keep things a little more base line for balancing purposes.

Per normal, we're going to keep an eye on how the changes work out going forward and making adjustments where necessary.

P.S. Those of you who were 80+ but sitting at starving will find themselves taking starvation damage/effects. Just eat some food to get back past the 'not hungry' status and you'll be back to normal.

Penned by my hand on Falsday, the 10th of Midsummer, in the year 475 MA.</pre>
Irruel

Comments

• How does the damage scaling with might work? Does this set the old damage as 'base' damage and then reduce that damage based on how far off level 100 you are?
  • is Renew now PvE-only since it's in Hunting? or do we all just get it relatively early now?
    Indoran'i is back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (wolf Howl)
    An Atzob cultist says, "Is a shamatato as tasty as a potato?"
    (Tells): From afar, Mephistoles hisses harshly to you, "Hey baby, show me your ovipositor?"
    The mighty Jy'Barrak Golgotha opens his maw, catches the glowing spear in his many jagged teeth, and chomps down. The Divine spear breaks with a noise like thunder, shards toppling from the Emperor's jaws. "OM NOM NOM!" He declares, then spits the last of the ruined weapon from his lips.

• is Renew now PvE-only since it's in Hunting? or do we all just get it relatively early now?

As an add-on to this, my sub-100 character can't actually use 'renew' as a command, though it displays as learned inside the skill.
  • KerocKeroc A small cupboardAdministrator, Immortal
    edited August 2018
    Steele said:

How does the damage scaling with might work? Does this set the old damage as 'base' damage and then reduce that damage based on how far off level 100 you are?

It works exactly the same as it did before, except instead of pulling the skillrank bonus from the skillset the ability originated from, it pulls from Hunting instead.

Basically this scales it from 40% to start with at level 1, up to 100% at level 120. Level 100 is currently at 95% so it shouldn't change too drastically.
    Vyxsis said:

is Renew now PvE-only since it's in Hunting? or do we all just get it relatively early now?

You just get it sooner. It will work on all afflictions as before.
    Steele said:

is Renew now PvE-only since it's in Hunting? or do we all just get it relatively early now?

As an add-on to this, my sub-100 character can't actually use 'renew' as a command, though it displays as learned inside the skill.
    Seems I left out an important tidbit that'll let it work. Should be fixed now!
    VyxsisSteele
  • Will damage scale over 100% for the bashing monsters like Rhyot? Or are they stuck with plain ole 100%?
    You can get an extra 2% beyond that, but I'm not entirely sure if I'll leave it in. Cash in while Keroc is indecisive!
  • TozToz
    edited August 2018
    Does it apply to ANY attack that can hit a denizen? Or is it just on a specific "you should use this" attack? Are generic attacks to come? Do I need to re-re-re-re-run all my dps testing?

Edit: and what about my poor test alts who got overkill and eval in survival and vision :(

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

edited August 2018
    When I did that big change to balance out all PvE DPS, I did it with Hunting in mind. So it should be more or less the same, just substitute your Hunting skillrank in instead of, say, Necromancy if you're using Decay.

Having said that, I don't mind if you want to test it out!
    Toz
  • I'll nerd out this weekend maybe and get some numbers at 16 [stat] as I'm able.

oh wait, toz is famous

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

you disgust me

• ZailaZaila Pacific Time
    Re: Instill skill - 
    No Idreth option?
  • neutrality doesn't exist! it's a tool of Artifice!!
    (Tells): From afar, Mephistoles hisses harshly to you, "Hey baby, show me your ovipositor?"
    The mighty Jy'Barrak Golgotha opens his maw, catches the glowing spear in his many jagged teeth, and chomps down. The Divine spear breaks with a noise like thunder, shards toppling from the Emperor's jaws. "OM NOM NOM!" He declares, then spits the last of the ruined weapon from his lips.

Zaila

• Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

you disgust me

SteeleZailaLeana
  • ok, but for real, i'm getting not-so-subtle hints of endgame being reworked. lots of big things moved from being ascended-race-specific to the hunting skill. what's going on there?

• Looks like newbie dpa dropped a good chunk. I didn't dump into my primary bashing skill very hard and still do less damage than I was- I don't have more than a single bashing attack on a char I don't know the stats of but may be something to watch, especially with the weird power creep- some level 30 areas or 50 areas are vicious.

oh wait, toz is famous

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz