writhe stacking

@Keroc

why??? T_T
Indoran'i is back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (wolf Howl)
An Atzob cultist says, "Is a shamatato as tasty as a potato?"
(Tells): From afar, Mephistoles hisses harshly to you, "Hey baby, show me your ovipositor?"
The mighty Jy'Barrak Golgotha opens his maw, catches the glowing spear in his many jagged teeth, and chomps down. The Divine spear breaks with a noise like thunder, shards toppling from the Emperor's jaws. "OM NOM NOM!" He declares, then spits the last of the ruined weapon from his lips.

Leana

Comments

• edited August 2018
    It was nearly five years of a joyful Aetolia. Free of stupid writhe stacking.

Group fights were: Damage or affliction or limbs.

They will now be: Writhe.

Not sure how this benefits group combat. I'm sure on it being a sucky experience for the people who get hit with five types of writhe on start of combat and just stand there to die. Have this happen to you once and you'll probably stop going to group combat. If that's why you play, then this change will cost us more players.

Someone taught me a phrase for why they stopped playing WoW: Design Churn. (edit: someone brought it up to me at work today and I probably remembered it wrong, but it's basically designers constantly adding or taking away things so it adds more work on the player and takes away from enjoyment time.)

You keep retooling what isn't broken and forcing people to abandon aspects of the game. PvE got their experience malus. PvP now has writhe and the fear of more sweeping changes. You're going in the wrong direction.

Maybe I'm WAY WRONG though. Maybe this was the number one issue brought up over and over during classleads. I'll admit I haven't been as focused on things as of late.

Teani
  • EliadonEliadon Somewhere Over the Rainbow
    Writhes not stacking cancels out a few very important interactions (see: shifters, disembowel, skewer, etc).

This technically opens up more options - if people only writhe stack, then the target can possibly just tank it forever. Unicorns, we currently have people tanking it forever in small group fights just because of how beefy they are.
  • Eliadon said:

Writhes not stacking cancels out a few very important interactions (see: shifters, disembowel, skewer, etc).

you'll have to unpack this for me, because it's not immediately clear to me what these interactions are or how they're important.
    (Tells): From afar, Mephistoles hisses harshly to you, "Hey baby, show me your ovipositor?"
    The mighty Jy'Barrak Golgotha opens his maw, catches the glowing spear in his many jagged teeth, and chomps down. The Divine spear breaks with a noise like thunder, shards toppling from the Emperor's jaws. "OM NOM NOM!" He declares, then spits the last of the ruined weapon from his lips.

• i mean, i can think of many ways stacking writhes would interact (i just described a cheesy as unicorns strategy to @Leana in disco), but the importance of those interactions seems to be that it's important to prevent them because of how godawfully cheesy they are...

• AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    Man I fought tooth and claw to get this nerfed as a liaison. Major bummer. Go back to my original solution where writhes clear or override previous writhe affs with a diminishing return on length instead of outright immunity. Or make a tree of writhe adds by potency and which is strong enough to go over the others ie impale can go thru web but not vice versa. At least put some nuance into it.
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    It would be far better if one new writhe aff didn't cancel out an existing one.

• AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    Ah what I meant about the first one was actually that they all piled on but all cleared on the completion of the first writhe. I forgot ancient arguments.
    Mordion
  • Disperse is 1.8s eq with crown and eq enhance and clears every writhe at once.

You're welcome.
    (Web): Toz says, "Emir's Express Evacuation and Existence Eradicator, Every Experience is Explosive - Experience the Entirety of your Existence!"
  • To add, I'm still tilted at the change. It favors spirit due to a number of factors even with disperse.
    (Web): Toz says, "Emir's Express Evacuation and Existence Eradicator, Every Experience is Explosive - Experience the Entirety of your Existence!"
  • Group writhe stacking aside...

You realize this means that in 1v1 a shaman can now wait for Spider Spirit to web and then use Strangle -much- more effectively? Most people will struggle with only 2 applications of Thorns, so imagine what an extra 2-3 seconds added to that writhe time can do.

I think it could be easily abused.
    EmirVyxsisMordion
  • Triple post because editing is for scrubs.

@Leana this opens up group combat because it provides real options, and for the first time since limb combat, which is still rly hard cause no one can recognize a kill condition and code it without someone elses help, that people can make an alias and help in ways that isn't 'overload them with damage' without overlapping afflictions and being suboptimal. They can be on transfix duty and not overlap the other newb on web duty, or they can be on disperse duty.

As I mentioned, disperse clears every writhe aff on a target /at once/. If you have web, ropes, vines, transfix, and I use disperse on you? All gone. It is a very potent counter.

However, the change is still ultimately more beneficial to Spirit tether. Spider ent was already strong in group combat, and opened up Overwhelm, but now the shaman that is boosting vinelashes is going to strangle you to death in an instant. Sentinels are capable of stripping flame defence from a single specific target (100% will be our group leader every time, unless all of us are on) as well, removing their only defence and causing a reliance on outside sources. I don't mind the reliance, because the less brain dead group combat is the more fun it is, but there's a greater burden upon Shadow tether to master disperse use before one single person edits Sunder to take advantage of writhe stacking.

Spirits fortifaction powers only make matters worse. You're going to eat that trap.

Add in the fact that they're the only tether with on demand physical disruption just for shits and giggles. Honestly, in my head, if they're writhe stacking, then only one Templar is on phys disruption duty, so you're going to clear it pretty easy I would like to think. Reality is probably oculus/disrupt.
    IazamatLeanaXenia
  • RhyotRhyot Bloodloch
    Give it 4 days and Sunder will have writhe stacking down to a science. 

• TiurTiur Producer
    I don't want people to tilt too much! Let me quote Keroc here:
    I'll keep a close eye on it going forward.

There might be some unintended interactions and consequences. We'll fix them!
    MordionKandara
  • IllikaalIllikaal Pray Area
    Emir said:

To add, I'm still tilted at the change. It favors spirit due to a number of factors even with disperse.

A few solutions to your problem:
    #MakeHangedmanGreatAgain
    #BringBackCocooon

No really don't do any of this.
    "And finally, swear to Me: You will give your life to Dendara for you are Tiarna an-Kiar."
  • VyxsisVyxsis Vyxsis
    edited August 2018
    edited to remove the evidence of my massive brain fart