Attitude Adjustment

My attitude in this game has been deteriorating for a long time. Probably stemming from an attempt to accept changes that have altered the routine of my game play that stem back to the decision to unify guilds and city. This deterioration only abated by an attempt (successful back then, not possible now) to adapt, accept and roll with these changes while keeping my own personal frustrations close to heart as this was unfair. My trust in the decision making pinned by this belief that choices are made carefully, are well thought out and with the ability to support the change to create the healthier population and environment this change is meant to address.

Two years later it hurts to feel alienated from a guild that ushered me into the game and became a focal point to how I came to identify my character. To see it see that guild be a shadow of what it was and to not reach the potential that it could be and not see the change to population and cohesion that was intended. More importantly, I realize I’ve lost trust in the decision making on high level changes.

This realization has come to me in waves, and I wouldn’t put it as a fault on the admin. Not Tiur, Razmael, nor any other producer I’ve had the pleasure of playing under. In my eyes the problem is too much demand and not enough resources. Three paid employees and a hand ful of volunteers can only provide so much! My perception of what it must be like for anyone running this game involves a daily triage of decisions that ultimately gets dismantled by the loud cries of the immediate needs (I use this word wondering how many needs are actually wants) of the players. Throw in a looming threat of appeasement or suffer the consequence of outcry and damnation and you got one heck of a shit sandwich! It’s a vicious cycle that I’m now participating in and don’t know how to pull myself out.

Today I sat and stared at RETIRE CHARACTER CONFIRM typed into my command line as I fumed over more decisions that I disagreed with, that required more adaption, and made me reflect on my attitude in general. I typed QUIT instead, but I think it’s time a break from Aetolia, if only to remove myself as one of the negative attitudes that is slowing down positive changes.

Catch you all on the flip side, when I’m able to be a more positive, happier player.

EmirPazradymEliadonEowyn

Comments

• RhyotRhyot Bloodloch
    edited July 2018
    Will miss you Xenia. Ive always enjoyed chatting with you. But take care of you first. 

Hit me up on discord if you ever wanna chat. :) 

PazradymEowyn
  • VyxsisVyxsis Vyxsis
    don't give up all negativity: need someone to help me talk unicorns on @Illidan on disco fufufufufufu >:3c
    Indoran'i is back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (wolf Howl)
    An Atzob cultist says, "Is a shamatato as tasty as a potato?"
    (Tells): From afar, Mephistoles hisses harshly to you, "Hey baby, show me your ovipositor?"
    The mighty Jy'Barrak Golgotha opens his maw, catches the glowing spear in his many jagged teeth, and chomps down. The Divine spear breaks with a noise like thunder, shards toppling from the Emperor's jaws. "OM NOM NOM!" He declares, then spits the last of the ruined weapon from his lips.

• I'll miss having you around!
  • JensenJensen Corruption's Butcher
    When I last stopped playing I tried to retire but I couldn't come back to confirm it. I feel you on how this game has changed since I initially met you vs now.
  • Mechanical changes to the game have caused a lot of these sentiments. There's a lot of examples:

Shadow using light skills? Let's create tether.
    A few people abused the war system? REMOVE IT.
    People don't like Ashtan? DESTROY IT. (Claim it's due to dwindling membership, despite that being caused by dwindling choice and freedom)

Guards have been changed so many times I can't even remember. Ciem was removed, the hunting grounds were neutered, landmarks removed and brought back in a single version (that most don't enjoy).

Coding mechanics is work, but it's not work with a guaranteed payoff. I think a lot of situations could have been solved with some Divine intervention and some NPC manipulation. 

Players are grouped into smaller and smaller circles, starved for story content, bored with repetitive activities that have no rewards they actually value. They swarm like locusts at the first sign of active divine or npc. Me too. This will come up in the post war suggestions, I'm positive 

Tiur and the current admin get it, but they're working against a low level of activity in the game and the expectations of "It was better before" which is always true and never exactly true. They're working for and against us. Anyone who has tried to hold a leadership position in game can understand to some part.

The real solution is for Admin to stop trying to completely surprise us, there needs to be more user input before you apply your resources on what is essentially a gamble now. 

Players need to stop being jerks. You can't ask for conflict and respond to ANY conflict with insults and violence. At least, not right away. Stop making excuses for bad behavior too. There are a lot of great people who've joined the game or returned. Our numbers aren't bad.

Xenia, don't give up.

• To piggyback on what Leana's saying, I don't imagine the current overarching plot of Spirit vs. Shadow helps much. I personally don't find it very compelling. It's somehow worse than Life vs. Undeath and essentially non-existent outside a few places like the Orrery or the hunger messages.
    Leana
  • JensenJensen Corruption's Butcher
    Leana said:

Mechanical changes to the game have caused a lot of these sentiments. There's a lot of examples:

Shadow using light skills? Let's create tether.
    A few people abused the war system? REMOVE IT.
    People don't like Ashtan? DESTROY IT. (Claim it's due to dwindling membership, despite that being caused by dwindling choice and freedom)

Guards have been changed so many times I can't even remember. Ciem was removed, the hunting grounds were neutered, landmarks removed and brought back in a single version (that most don't enjoy).

Coding mechanics is work, but it's not work with a guaranteed payoff. I think a lot of situations could have been solved with some Divine intervention and some NPC manipulation. 

Players are grouped into smaller and smaller circles, starved for story content, bored with repetitive activities that have no rewards they actually value. They swarm like locusts at the first sign of active divine or npc. Me too. This will come up in the post war suggestions, I'm positive 

Tiur and the current admin get it, but they're working against a low level of activity in the game and the expectations of "It was better before" which is always true and never exactly true. They're working for and against us. Anyone who has tried to hold a leadership position in game can understand to some part.

The real solution is for Admin to stop trying to completely surprise us, there needs to be more user input before you apply your resources on what is essentially a gamble now. 

Players need to stop being jerks. You can't ask for conflict and respond to ANY conflict with insults and violence. At least, not right away. Stop making excuses for bad behavior too. There are a lot of great people who've joined the game or returned. Our numbers aren't bad.

Xenia, don't give up.

Imma be the bad guy here. When I met Xenia, Moirean was in charge of Spines. Now I know that to call her abrasive is underselling it, but if she was on your team you had a cheer captain to crown all cheer captains. Shit happened when she was in charge though. Parades, fights, RP, the whole nine. And she influenced a whole crew behind her to drive this message home. The message was honor, glory, drink, brutality, and spinesreach. The guild followed, the order followed, and the family followed. now shes been gone for a while and none of the good things I mentioned can redeem her demons, but thems are the times we're competing with. I came from Sibatti to Kiyotan Duiran times, and Spinesreach competes with, if not tops, those moments. and I will argue that we may never see that occur again. So don't blame Xenia. Note that if a Renascence does occur, please let me know, because I'm dying for it.
    Mimotesh