Mage Revamp Lies. LIES.

Comments

• TiurTiur Producer
    Raz kicked me off coding it and is working away! New mechanic for shadowprice that is less.. sliding scale immediate debilitating. He also worked out some things that are more flexible in style to fix some issues.

Basically, my version had people standing beside their singularity using boring afflictions waiting for enough effects to proc. It was kinda rote.
  • -Summons a black hole inside someone's body. Wins fight.-

Sciomancer in a nutshell?

• Ruin

Shadow is the element of consumption, and devouring the physical body of your foe is well within its purview. When inflicting ruin upon them, first you will cause clumsiness. If already clumsy, you will cause weariness. If already weary and clumsy, they will be struck with lethargy. In all cases, the ruin will cause moderate magical damage.

If all three afflictions are present, you will REDACTED.

If the shadowprice is paid, your ruin will cause two afflictions in order instead of one. If REDACTED, no REDACTED will be applied.

Gloom

Infuse your victim with a despairing curse, giving them a chance to become burdened with phobias any time they focus. If standing in darkness, nyctophobia is always the first phobia to appear.

A gloom can be cured by REDACTED, but only if REDACTED. When used to cure gloom, REDACTED incurs a short time before the affliction resolves, and becoming REDACTED while this occurs will cause it to REDACTED once more.

If the shadowprice is paid, this may be performed free of any equilibrium cost.

Collapse

Requires a supermassive singularity.

Draw your singularity’s gravity into itself, causing it to swell with magical energy and exert a higher gravitational force. When you initiate the collapse, all present will be informed of their impending doom, and the singularity will begin to grow in size. In this state, any locked ability you have active will cease its effect. The longer you allow the singularity to charge in this manner, the more powerful the resulting explosion will be. When you are ready to destroy your enemies, you may complete the collapse, causing extreme magical damage to all present. Should you wait too long, it will complete on its own.

It’s important to note that once a collapse is initiated, there is no way to prevent it from completing short of slaying the mage who started it.

When the singularity collapses, it is destroyed and must be resummoned to interact with it once more. Those who are trapped within the void (see REDACTED) will be instantly slain, no matter what level of collapse is imminent.

Oh clumsy me, did I drop these spoilers over here? Pardon me, you didn't see anything.

(Sciomancers are back on track. You have been afflicted with hype.)
    OonaghTiurTeaniKelliaraEowynTekias
  • TiurTiur Producer
    It doesn't matter that my Sciomancer design was terrible, they kept nyctophobia.
    OonaghTeaniTekias
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    I just want to say one thing:

I LOVE YOU SO MUCH !!! 

Kelliara
  • Now with 253% more Madness.
    Cute-Kelli by @Sessizlik.
  • EowynEowyn Somewhere
    Valdus said:

Oh clumsy me, did I drop these spoilers over here? Pardon me, you didn't see anything.

(Sciomancers are back on track. You have been afflicted with hype.)
    I missed you, you beautiful beast. Welcome back to bringing the hype!
    Oonagh
  • TekiasTekias Wisconsin
    Allow me to repost this:

Formerly: Spiegel. Eidycue.

Hi.

• edited May 2018
    You guys are so patient and polite, here's a freebie.

Falter

Those who are too weak to embrace Shadow's might, will be destroyed by it. Should your victim be afflicted with maladies caused by the shadows, you can use them as an opportunity for your own victory. This spell does nothing on its own, but can have any or all of the following effects depending on what they are afflicted by:

REDACTED

If the shadowprice is paid, one of these missing conditional afflictions will be applied at random before the spell completes.
    Erupt

Consume the magical density plaguing your victim, causing limb damage dependent on the amount of gravity present. If weighed down to the maximum extent, the target’s limb will simply collapse inward, causing a full restoration break instantly.

If a REDACTED is present alongside moderate density, the erupt will REDACTED. Your target will be unable to be affected by REDACTED for a short time after.

It goes without saying that all details, especially those redacted, are subject to change. Those who are concerned that this will bite at their fantasy archetype, fear not - the afflictions mentioned are a means to an end, and the class will absolutely have a magical spellcaster feel. The gap between tracking your afflictions perfectly and eschewing it entirely is designed to be much smaller when compared to a lot of our other releases. It's much more important to have a good situational understanding and be willing to take (big) risks.

I'm really excited about this iteration though and I think you guys will be too. We learn from our mistakes!
    TekiasTeani
  • TekiasTekias Wisconsin
    I get the feeling this is what @Valdus is copying from:

Hi.

Valdus
  • edited May 2018
    Aha! So we are back in Sorcerer King hype business!

Out of curiousity, what will be the Shadowprice in this iteration? Is it a percentage health reduction, fixed health reduction or some kind of damage over time effect?

And about Singularity, if you do not pull its pin for the explosion does it explode in full force or is there a sweet spot between start and timeout conditions?
  • edited May 2018
    Shadowprice basically acts as a resource. You take on 'debts' to enhance your abilities. Unlike other resources however, the debts are not passively forgiven mid-combat. You have a few options for actively repaying them, which can involve taking increasing amounts of your vitals, or you can have others repay them for you (usually this involves their death, so this isn't exactly at their consent).

Some of the shadowprice effects are comparatively insane, so it's best to treat this as a cooldown with a lot of applications rather than a passive resource. You can also use shadowprice effects to make up for mistakes in your setup, so it will be wise to plan out what debts you'll need for your setup and what debts can be used to save you in case you screw up (a shadow budget, if you will).

Regarding singularity, you'll mostly have to wait and see how this works. I will reveal that it serves multiple functions besides being big damage death - it's intentional that you can trigger it prematurely. In theme with the other class mechanics, though, there's a big cost to playing chicken for too long.
    Kalak
  • So here's my last and final question.

Will the changes to magi, all BE the fault of our favorite klutz Fred? Anyone whom has been with spinesreach long enough has had quite the fun interactions with'em...and somehow I wonder if there will be something that breaks, blows up, portal to a unknown horror opens up thanks to our lovable oaf.
    Rum
  • TekiasTekias Wisconsin
    Well, I mean...there's actually a loose end that was never brought up again from the Crystal Raid. Someone got burned touching one of the Master Crystals. I found the old Cabal tutor with burns on his right arm. And then.......he disappeared, the crystals went away, and everything went back to normalcy.

Hi.

Teani
  • I jus want my new ascendrilness
    Oonagh
  • @Xiomara I agree, Myself, @Eowyn , @Shachalai and @Eliadon are all excited, I imagine it might bring in a bit of activity to the Ascendril.

I know @Tekias and @Teani feel very much the same with the Sciomancers, we are probably all bouncing on our hands waiting to update and create new exciting things for our guilds!
    Xiomara
  • TekiasTekias Wisconsin
    Oonagh said:

I know @Tekias and @Teani feel very much the same with the Sciomancers, we are probably all bouncing on our hands waiting to update and create new exciting things for our guilds!

You might -think- you have an idea of how excited we are...but no. You don't have an inkling of how much we are. If I let out a SQUEEE about this, it'd shatter windows in a 2 mile radius.

>.> I'm not ashamed.

Hi.

Oonagh

• Not sure if my current hype level can be elevated, as it would involve achieving some form of hype-transcendance, but... I challenge you dudes to try.
    OonaghAxiusTeani
  • edited May 2018
    As a class-for-life player, no one can fathom the excitement I have for this revamp. Hurry up already! I have a list of things to do!

"THE LIST"

1. Enslave a part of the populace
    2. Get worshipped like a God
    3. Build a gigantic ziggurat
    4. Try to turn into a badass dragon
    5. Get assassinated by a bunch of heroes during the transformation

COME OOOOON!
    ZailaXeniaRum
  • I need Ascendril tonight
    I need Ascendril more than ever
    that Ascendril fire burns so bright
    ill be holding class forever
    Satomi
  • I'm excited. I picked up the class! Is this the magic class of my dreams?

• Soooooooooooooooooon!

I want to work on fun stuff and make @Shachalai overload with lore. I feel like it sustains them and I don’t want them to starve
  • VyxsisVyxsis Vyxsis
    i'm still half-convinced mage is just getting deleted
    Indoran'i is back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (wolf Howl)
    An Atzob cultist says, "Is a shamatato as tasty as a potato?"
    (Tells): From afar, Mephistoles hisses harshly to you, "Hey baby, show me your ovipositor?"
    The mighty Jy'Barrak Golgotha opens his maw, catches the glowing spear in his many jagged teeth, and chomps down. The Divine spear breaks with a noise like thunder, shards toppling from the Emperor's jaws. "OM NOM NOM!" He declares, then spits the last of the ruined weapon from his lips.

LeanaEmir
  • Vyxsis said:

Don't you bring that darkness on us, @Vyxsis!

Vyxsis
  • TekiasTekias Wisconsin
    Vyxsis said:

Half convinced...so fully convinced Ascendril is deleted while not convinced at all that Scio is getting deleted. Got it!

Hi.

VyxsisTeani
  • edited May 2018
    There are two classes in this game anyways: Sciomancer and non-Sciomancer.

*****TIME TO REV UP THE PROPAGANDA MACHINE!!!*****
  • K is just holding off on the release until I have a PC again. What a great guy. 
    (Web): Toz says, "Emir's Express Evacuation and Existence Eradicator, Every Experience is Explosive - Experience the Entirety of your Existence!"
    OonaghVyxsisTeaniXenia
  • TekiasTekias Wisconsin
    Such hype. So want. Lots need.

Hi.

• ElliotElliot Australia
    Ascendril and Zealot get deleted, reformed into a single revamped class.

Calling it now.
    Vyxsis
  • VyxsisVyxsis Vyxsis
    Elliot said:

Ascendril and Zealot get deleted, reformed into a single revamped class.

Calling it now.

please don't troll @Yeras, the poor boy can't take it.
    Indoran'i is back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (wolf Howl)
    An Atzob cultist says, "Is a shamatato as tasty as a potato?"
    (Tells): From afar, Mephistoles hisses harshly to you, "Hey baby, show me your ovipositor?"
    The mighty Jy'Barrak Golgotha opens his maw, catches the glowing spear in his many jagged teeth, and chomps down. The Divine spear breaks with a noise like thunder, shards toppling from the Emperor's jaws. "OM NOM NOM!" He declares, then spits the last of the ruined weapon from his lips.

Elliot
This discussion has been closed.