Forum Rules

TiurTiur Producer
edited April 2021 in Newbies
Let's consolidate the rules and general rulings here.

1. Keep it PG13. Communications where all parties are agreed to lift that are fine, but default to ingame talky rules. The unicorning unicorn filter will fix swears for those that want it PG.

2. Be civil. This is not a place to insult one another. If you have a problem with someone, that's what the admin are for. Send a message to @Tiur or any other mod/admin. Celani/Gods/Admin ingame are default mods here. Someone is rude? Message. Insulting? Message. Etc. Counter insults are not productive.
2a. This forum is a place of meeting between sides of the game, as well as Admin and players. That means we'll talk about things we don't get along with one another on, even criticize. BE CIVIL. We are also run BY the game, so if your criticism veers off into how you hate another player, or switches from criticism into attack, you're not being civil.
2b. This is not a neutral place; if you have a problem with the game contact support@aetolia.com. Any things that should go through support and are instead shared here intending to insult the game, players, admin, etc... those will just be deleted and you'll be banned.

3. If the thread is started by an Admin, keep the replies on topic and add to the discussion. Diverting the thread from its intended point will either make the Admin mad, or just get the thread closed. Or both.

4. This is OOC. Don't carry things back and forth. That said, willful ignorance on a character level is difficult, so don't expect everyone to ignore that you posted about how you're going to steal all of Enorian's puppies.

5. Don't be a jerk. If no one gets your humor or satire, you were probably just being a jerk.
5a. When a thread is closed and stated as done, or deleted, etc... don't remake it. We have ways to recreate threads if we want to fork the discussion or something.

Punishments will usually be forum bans with units of weeks. I.e. the smallest punishment is a week ban, and everything else will be multiples of weeks, onward unto infinity.

Tiur reserves the right to change these rules on a whim, so check them every now and then. Big things will get a thread just in case. You can post here if you want to debate a rule or ask for other rules. Or add a funny picture.
TedrunaiAishiaOonaghTeaniSilenaLeanaLuasAloliNavaAlexeinBruinZeheiaJhinTetchta

Comments

• AishiaAishia Queen Bee

RhyotTiurMordionAloliCallidora
  • SilenaSilena Immortal

TiurSwara
  • Tiur said:

4. This is OOC. Don't carry things back and forth. That said, willful ignorance on a character level is difficult, so don't expect everyone to ignore that you posted about how you're going to steal all of Enorian's puppies.

Will notifications about threads be made on Announce or Changelog board in the game when the forum may have in-game impacts? Like what we witnessed with PvE changes?

I have a really difficult time keeping up with forums and would hate to miss out on lore-deciding discussions. I'm sure a lot of players in-game would also like to take part.

AxiusJhin
  • TiurTiur Producer
    Generally we do a double post of announce, and then forums to discuss the announce. I might not link it, but I'll usually say "Look at the forums". In rare cases the forums might come first, like fishing rebalances.
    LeanaJhin
  • edited April 2018
    It was about time Forum Rules caught up to PvP Rules...

Oops...did I just break the 5th law!?
    TekiasRhyotOonaghTeani
  • @Tiur I might be the only one irked by game-defining changes being discussed with a minority of the playerbase until it's too late to do anything. It discourages me and I imagine it discourages new players who don't know about the forums. I may be wrong. This is all based on sentiment and not fact. Consistency in the post/forum referral policy would alleviate it.

Jhin
  • TiurTiur Producer
    edited April 2018
    I consider it a reward for people who engage as a community. We try to keep a sane forums, and it acts as a place to discuss the game. I don't really have the time to do a townhall with every wild idea.

E:

I clearly misread the above. I am sorry!

We will absolutely strive to be more consistent with referencing forum threads in the ingame announce posts. If there is going to be a discussion, I will make sure the two are linked so that no one misses half of it.

I might also start throwing up small sysannounces when I put up a discussion of something we're thinking about, but aren't worth a full townhall.
    LeanaOonaghVyxsisAloli
  • Tiur said:

I consider it a reward for people who engage as a community. We try to keep a sane forums, and it acts as a place to discuss the game. I don't really have the time to do a townhall with every wild idea.

Well Boss, I doubt the people who engage in the forums and voice their opinions are a good representation of the whole of the game community. There is a number of people who are just aversive to this "community" due to its toxic nature.
    OonaghRhyot
  • edited April 2018
    Kalak said:

Tiur said:

Well Boss, I doubt the people who engage in the forums and voice their opinions are a good representation of the whole of the game community. There is a number of people who are just aversive to this "community" due to its toxic nature.
    If I may ask, as I have seen several posts from you that are very negative in a variety of threads.

Why do you strive so hard to remain part of a community that you so much dislike, and try to attack every possible chance you have.
    That seems very counterproductive and may very well be the reason you have such hard feelings towards a large group of people.
    You dont participate in any guilds, cities or activities save for Market posts that I have seen.

Im not trying to put any words in anyones mouth, its merely what I see as an outsider who has no knowledge of you aside from what you present, and that is not putting you in a favorable light, and absolutely confuses me on why you continue somewhere if it is so toxic to you. I am happy to engage with someone and find myself to be a very accepting player and character, but your general demeanor makes me want to avoid you like a leper colony.
    LeanaTekiasVyxsisKalakEvalyneArbreRhyotKodaIllikaalAloli
  • Thanks for the reply @Tiur
    I do feel rewarded when you share your wild ideas with us.

OonaghTekiasVyxsisTeani
  • edited April 2018
    This is not appropriate to the purpose of the thread.
  • edited April 2018
    @Oonagh And I answer your question and you tag it as Spam. That is the kind of "community" you represent. What happened to freedom of speech and open discussion?
  • ZailaZaila Pacific Time
    edited April 2018
    @Tiur and @Leana - something that occurred to me along this vein that I haven't noticed done:
    Maybe on the public announce posts that end up getting copy/pasted here to the forum anyway, could you guys throw in a link to the forum as a sort of standard "P.S." to the post pointing out to players who aren't in the know "If you want to discuss this further, come to the forum (link) where you can discuss this OOCly!"

As it is, there is a very small population of the playerbase that actually uses the forum to read (let alone post), so this means the opinions that are delivered are largely in a very small niche of the population - and mostly this is oldbies. Nothing against oldbies, I just would like to see more people's input!

p.s. @kalak - pretty sure that was the 2nd, 3rd and 5th all in under 20 words.
    SilenaOonaghLeanaVyxsisSaritaXeniaLuas
  • TiurTiur Producer
    @Zaila Raz read this and immediately started. In the near future we may well have that generated automagically.
    ZailaOonaghTekiasVyxsisLeanaTeaniLuasAloli
  • RhyotRhyot Bloodloch
    Just my own comment that I will have to agree with some of the people within the thread in that some changes are brought about due to forums are not notified to the playerbase who do not view the forums.

One of the biggest things recently was the fishing changes. When doing a SEARCHNEWS ANNOUNCE FISHING.. the last post regarding any fishing was made by Oleis on Jan 25, 2017. There was nothing in terms of the new fishing changes that were made a couple weeks ago and were only posted to forums.

That was not the only change that has happened because of forums or notifications on forums without the playerbase as a whole being made aware. While I understand this thread is primarily about forums rules, some people have brought up the desire to have transparency. So if we are talking transparency, then I would agree that notifications should be made in both the Newsboards and the forums.

That said, I think the majority of this thread (pretty much anything after the ADORABLE puppy picture Aishia posted) has deviated from the use of Forum Rules and should be segregated into its own thread called Forum/Newsboard Transparency. Just my thoughts.

VyxsisLeanaZailaTeani
  • TiurTiur Producer
    Yeah.. those fishing changes were never loaded. I would like, post, if they were :tongue:
    OonaghRhyotEowynVyxsisAloli
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee

SilenaVyxsis
  • I don 't know where to ask this, thinking maybe here. Can we get a popcorn emoji added to forums?

ZailaLuasAloliRhine
  • all the candy
    TiurRhineAloliCaynOonagh
  • TetchtaTetchta The Innocent
    Temptation. To. Vote. Off Topic. Rising.

SeurimasLin
  • TiurTiur Producer
    We actually tried to fix that last night and couldn't figure it out. The default setup for reactions does it, and short of me 'fixing' it myself, we're stuck.
  • RhyotRhyot Bloodloch
    Lin said:

I don't see the point of anonymizing the "negative" reactions on the forums, and believe that it has turned the disagree/off-topic/flag options into easy, safe troll buttons.

It's probably so that people can't be lambasted, reprimanded, demeaned, or otherwise ostracized for having opinions that differ from the poster. Because let's be real.... that used to happen -a lot-.

If someone wants to disagree with a post, let them. It doesn't hurt you any.

StineMephistoles
    Rhyot said:

Lin said:

I don't see the point of anonymizing the "negative" reactions on the forums, and believe that it has turned the disagree/off-topic/flag options into easy, safe troll buttons.

It's probably so that people can't be lambasted, reprimanded, demeaned, or otherwise ostracized for having opinions that differ from the poster. Because let's be real.... that used to happen -a lot-.
    ngl I lol'd really hard at that. Still pretty common, unfortunately, and I don't think de-anonymizing negative reactions will increase it any. People will hide a lot more nastiness under a mask if they can, tbh.

IazamatLinRhyotAloli
  • I could've sworn when the reactions were first around we could see all of the names under each reaction regardless of positive/negative.
    BenedictoTeani
  • LinLin Blackbird The Moonglade
    Tiur said:

We actually tried to fix that last night and couldn't figure it out. The default setup for reactions does it, and short of me 'fixing' it myself, we're stuck.

Looks like they moved where it used to be.

https://success.vanillaforums.com/kb/articles/22-reacting-to-content
    Tetchta
  • staying basic thanks
    SibattiEscelika
  • TiurTiur Producer
    Hm, not sure we're rocking that version, but we'll see!
  • RhyotRhyot Bloodloch
    Tetchta said:

Rhyot said:

Lin said:

ngl I lol'd really hard at that. Still pretty common, unfortunately, and I don't think de-anonymizing negative reactions will increase it any. People will hide a lot more nastiness under a mask if they can, tbh.

You're right in that, Tetchta. People are people and people are going to be absolute jerks. There's no way around that. It's why my most used phrase is "I really hate people."

But at least with forum disagreements being anonymous, the only thing it does is stop someone from piping up and going something like "Rhyot, you (negative adjective) piece of shit. Why the fuck'd you disagree with my post?! Are you fucking (another negative adjective)?!?" (Yes, I have actually had that happen to me and it was quite bloody annoying). Not everyone has the desire to be attacked for disagreeing with someone else.

Tetchta
    edited June 2020
    Rhyot said:

Tetchta said:

Rhyot said:

Lin said:

You're right in that, Tetchta. People are people and people are going to be absolute jerks. There's no way around that. It's why my most used phrase is "I really hate people."

But at least with forum disagreements being anonymous, the only thing it does is stop someone from piping up and going something like "Rhyot, you (negative adjective) piece of unicorns. Why the unicorns'd you disagree with my post?! Are you unicorns (another negative adjective)?!?" (Yes, I have actually had that happen to me and it was quite bloody annoying). Not everyone has the desire to be attacked for disagreeing with someone else.
    Don't totally disagree with that, but I do have to say, if someone shows their butthole in a comment in public they're going to open themselves up to moderation, which is usually not a fun time. Meanwhile ganging up with frivolous "disagree"s and "off topic"s is kinda abused by people as a "downvote" option with no repercussions for people and/or takes they don't like. Personally I'd prefer people be forced to put their face on their opinions so that, at the very least, they have to think twice before weighing in and showing the world who they really are, or have "reactions" removed as a feature entirely.

Rhyot