Shower Thoughts

13»

Comments

• EydisEydis Member Posts: 108 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    -Which Aetolian characters would've stayed for the battle at Hogwarts? What side would they fight for if they stayed? What about Aetolian players, would the majority make the same choice their characters made? I should ask, make a list, and then turn it into a graph so I can have a visible represenation of ic/ooc separation. 

NSFW but...

-If a superhero has unlimited endurance but not super speed, does that also mean it takes them longer to uh...get a release? Would super strength turn into a Bella/Edward bruisefest? (Ugh, I made a twilight reference.) If Flash has super speed AND endless endurance, isn't he basically a human vibrator? 

-If I were to fall for any superhero, I would chose between Wolverine and Oliver Queen from Arrow.

EDIT: Given my second point, maybe Flash should make the list but he's so...blah. Other than Captain America and Superman, he's the most boring character ever. 

(Spinesreach): Xiuhcoatl says, "Oh man, grab the children-corn. This is gonna be good."
  • LeanaLeana Member Posts: 166 ✭✭✭
    Eydis said:

-Which Aetolian characters would've stayed for the battle at Hogwarts? What side would they fight for if they stayed? What about Aetolian players, would the majority make the same choice their characters made? I should ask, make a list, and then turn it into a graph so I can have a visible represenation of ic/ooc separation. 

NSFW but...

-If a superhero has unlimited endurance but not super speed, does that also mean it takes them longer to uh...get a release? Would super strength turn into a Bella/Edward bruisefest? (Ugh, I made a twilight reference.) If Flash has super speed AND endless endurance, isn't he basically a human vibrator? 

-If I were to fall for any superhero, I would chose between Wolverine and Oliver Queen from Arrow.

EDIT: Given my second point, maybe Flash should make the list but he's so...blah. Other than Captain America and Superman, he's the most boring character ever. 

Flash is the best. He's the Spiderman of DC! Always cracking jokes and being super kind to his villains. Don't judge him based on the tv show. Same with Captain America and Superman. Much better versions of them in the comics.

Wolverine is the choice, but not the Hugh Jackman version. Got to pick the small harry man version. XD

Also, I don't think endurance and release are connected. There's a play called 'Sex Lives of Super Heroes' that's this and a romance between nerds.
  • MarienaMariena By a lake. Member, Guildmaster Posts: 612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I needed a place to meander my thoughts and mad didn't seem right. I also forgot my password to tumblr and didn't feel like going through the resetting the password process. I am that lazy. So this is a Post Shower-Thoughts Life update of sorts (Really this is a long unicorns rant about migraines and not about anxiety/depression that's a whole nother special snowflake post of is own), I needed to unload somewhere. I needed to throw all of this out of my head and use my words.

I'll set it up into tl;dr spoilers so you don't have to read what you don't want to read. You don't have to read anything at all. This is for me. I'm taking a deep breath and making a holler into the internet void for a second.

The Beginning - Depressing unicorns
    I've had migraines since I have been in Middle School. I painted our middle school halls in puke, actually. It wasn't pleasant. I had a brief, glorious reprieve in early twenties.

They came thundering back two years ago. My doctor chose to prescribe imitrex and it worked for a while but then I was getting more. I was given to a neurologist. I was MRI'd. Nothing was found, prescriptions were changed and mgs upped. Imitrex stayed.

Fast forward. 2018. 18-20 migraines a month easy. My life is determining which cocktail of pain meds will get me from bed to work and back. That sentence is such a mild way to describe the amount of pain I was in on any given day you talked/talk to me. I don't even know how to describe to a person with any accuracy honestly. My body is a deceitful unicorns and my brainbox, in which I live, wishes mightily to evict its only occupant (me). I switch to a new doctor.

Changes are Afoot, Medically!
    New Doctor listens to all symptoms, takes a good long look at all of the long list of prescriptions conglomerated all over several years, tsks. He doesn't seem to appreciate any of these things that I'm on. He wishes to Change Them All. Slowly, so my body is not like wtf the holy unicorns. The first thing he does is put me on Topamax. Holy unicorns balls, Batman, the ride this has been. Topamax is wild. I keep telling people my brain feels like marbles but that is literally what it feels like. It feels like if my brain is marbles, Topamax is slime trying to cover it. This leads to a DISCOVERY, though.

THE DISCOVERY
    So, I am Addicted (in the literal, official sense of the word) to triptans, which is the class of drug that imitrex is in. It is sumatriptan. I have taken so much of it that my body literally feels like unicorns death without it every once and a while. I was without it for about 4 days. By day 4, I am dizzy af, my heart is racing, I can't think, I am flushed, it is terrible.

The above paragraph makes me officially tear up. I have never been Addicted (official A) to anything in my life. (Aetolia excluded). I need to wean off, but I don't know how to wean off, because weaning off means triggering migraines, which I am fighting to avoid and what I was explaining above WASN'T a migraine, it was just a 'unicorns sucks man, haven't had an imitrex in a while' feeling. I've had that before, too. This is just the first time I've recognized it as not the beginning of a migraine like I thought it was and is in fact a symptom of withdrawal (why does withdrawal have an extra A in it that is dumb).

I know what I need to do. I know what I HAVE To do. I don't know WHEN I SHOULD do it so as to not hurt a body already going through system shocks as we play system Tetris.

STUBBORN PATH OR SMART PATH
    So realizing that you're dependent on a substance to exist like a human and your body craves it hard when you don't give substance to it is scary. Do I not give substance to body and ride out the unicorns until its done.

Do I give substance to body in increasingly small doses until I'm not doing that anymore and then in the future use it sparingly if at all.

• SaritaSarita Empress of Bahir'an The Pillars of the EarthMember, Guildmaster Posts: 706 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah, yes. Topamax is nicknamed Dopamax for a very good reason.
    Mariena
  • ElliotElliot AustraliaMember Posts: 31 ✭✭
    @Mariena Hey there.

I'm not sure if we've spoken before, but I am fairly open about the fact that my spine is pretty heavily damaged and I have a lot of issues with it. I have been on some really intense pain killers before, and I have been horribly addicted to a couple of them, in the physical sense.

I don't use drugs recreationally very much, and I'm not usually fond of being high - only really when I want to be, do I want to be. Funny how that works.

So I'm not sure about what degree of mental dependence you have on these drugs, apart from the effects they are meant to have. But, here is some advice that is based off my experience and the assumption that you are not someone who needs the high:

Do not just take the drug you're addicted to as well as the other medicine! The new drug might conflict with it and put you (further) in hospital. Check with a doctor first.

Cold turkey is fast and effective and a bad time.

I would spend a few days, a few awful days, on no drugs at all, when I was stopping or changing a prescription. It was painful and sickening and a few times there were embarrassing moments from my body deciding it wasn't listening to my brain. There were tears and snot and mood swings, but even for things I was quite addicted to, this never took me longer than a week. Usually around 3 days. If you want the addiction GONE, then the withdrawal can be worth the faster process. Only do this AFTER letting your doctor know, because unicorns can happen, and only if you can say "Okay, brb life, need to go do stuff". If you have responsibilities that you can't back out of for a little bit, then do something more gradual, because if you're as addicted as you say, you are not going to be super functional.

Weaning is slow and not as awful but can lead to your condition being more of a dick.

Weaning lets you function, even if you're not exactly happy about it. It's slower, so the 'effectiveness' of your treatments might be compromised during the switch. Expect crabbiness, irritation. If you spend a lot of time with someone, you might end up having a blue because, at least in my experience, you'll WANT to start something. If you have a close family or a life partner, you might want to let them know that you're not going to be a basket of sunshine for a little while. However, you do have to TRY to live normally, and it can take take a lot of effort some days. That's the price of weaning. Cold turkey sucks more, but at least you can give in and cry and be useless while you kick the addiction. Weaning gives you enough control that you're still going to have your actions reflect on you, because you'll have more control.

This is not a decision you should make on your own. I am (and was even more so during the thick of it) a young and otherwise healthy man. I could handle a lot of medical backlash from withdrawal and was entirely in care, so it didn't matter if I was out of commission for a while longer than expected. Speak to your doctor about it. This is obvious advice, but when it comes to pharmaceuticals, the only person who could and can predict my reactions to prescription changes better than me is my GP. I know him pretty well, he knows me fairly well. I've been seeing him for 7 years, so he can tell these things. If you don't know your GP that well, then a second opinion doesn't hurt, but with this kind of thing, I have to advise you to value their thoughts more than your own.

I hope this helps, and if you need someone to complain to about withdrawal symptoms, feel free to shoot me a message. It's gross and sometimes embarrassing to talk about to someone who hasn't also been through it, so yeah.
    TeaniMariena
  • RhyotRhyot BloodlochMember Posts: 233 ✭✭✭
    You ever think about how some urinals are shorter than others so that children and midgets can use them??

Do you ever wonder if a midget gets pissed off because there's no shorter toilets and they possibly have to jump/climb to get atop a toilet??

• KelliaraKelliara Member Posts: 527 ✭✭✭✭
    Apparently the new Marvel movie has sold more in presales than several of the previous movies combined.

Does an increase in hype, and therefore expectations, have an inverse effect on the perceived quality of a product? If so, where is the line? At what point does hype start to become unhelpful, or even harmful?
    Now with 253% more Madness.
    Chibi-Kelli by @Eleanor.
    XeniaTeaniZaila
  • MarienaMariena By a lake. Member, Guildmaster Posts: 612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rhyot said:

You ever think about how some urinals are shorter than others so that children and midgets can use them??

Do you ever wonder if a midget gets pissed off because there's no shorter toilets and they possibly have to jump/climb to get atop a toilet??

This is a good argument for squatty pottys to be in every bathroom, tucked away. you can pull them out when needed. Ergonomic for your colon and helpful for the short.

RhyotZailaXenia
13»