Old Aetolia Player...Should I come back?

Hi Everyone,

I'm considering coming back to Aetolia but I had some questions first. Last time I played it was kinda discouraging because it seemed almost mandatory to have a "system". Is this still the case, or has the mud changed in some way? Are there any free systems that are efficient if not?

Next question, my character was a sentaari monk (sensei) when last I played which I thoroughly enjoyed. I recall something about being able to leave your guild and keep your class. Is this still a thing? Sorry for the vague question but it's been about 3 years or so since last I was active.

And last, I mostly intend to do pve stuff and perhaps try a new class. Is this possible on the same character or should I make a brand new character in order to experience another class?

Thanks in advance for anyone who reads this and answers!

-Kalinaar

Best Answers

• TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    Accepted Answer
    Hi, and welcome back! (Hopefully anyway)

There is no real need for a system anymore, as the server-side curing system called Firstaid works like a charm. There are quite a few good combatants who use that as well.

You can leave your guild and maintain the class (once it is mastered, just like before), and join a different guild and take on that class as well. If you'd rather be a rogue, you can skip joining a guild and request apprenticeship. This means, most of the time, that you pay a small fee to the guild and learn their skills. The main thing here is that you have to choose a class that is of the same tether as you are. Meaning, if you live in Duiran or Enorian, you are of the Spirit tether, and can only add classes from that side, while if you live in Spinesreach or Bloodloch, you can only add Shadow-tether classes. Monk (Sentaari) is considered a neutral class, so you will not lose it even if you were to switch sides for some reason. The same goes for Syssin class.

You can have two classes at the same time for free, but if you want more than that, you have to purchase class slots. However, everyone has access to Shapeshifters, which is outside the normal class slot system. We even have new kinds of shifters, aside from the old wolf and bear. You can now become a wereboar, werecrocodile or wereraven!

Hope this helps!

• Accepted Answer
    Kalinaar said:

Hi Everyone,

I'm considering coming back to Aetolia but I had some questions first. Last time I played it was kinda discouraging because it seemed almost mandatory to have a "system". Is this still the case, or has the mud changed in some way? Are there any free systems that are efficient if not?

Hi!

One (relatively) new thing is Firstaid, a versatile server-side curing system. If you give it the right priorities, it can pick up a lot of the legwork. There's still some defensive edge cases you have to code for, and you still have to create an offense. There are free, accessible systems that can do this for you, though.
    Kalinaar said:

Next question, my character was a sentaari monk (sensei) when last I played which I thoroughly enjoyed. I recall something about being able to leave your guild and keep your class. Is this still a thing? Sorry for the vague question but it's been about 3 years or so since last I was active.

Yes, you can leave your guild and keep class, and that is perfectly allowable!
    Kalinaar said:

And last, I mostly intend to do pve stuff and perhaps try a new class. Is this possible on the same character or should I make a brand new character in order to experience another class?

You can have two classes on the same character by default, as well as being able to expand your capacity for credits. So - yep! This is possible on the same character.
    Kalinaar said:

Thanks in advance for anyone who reads this and answers!

-Kalinaar

Hope I helped!
    Mordion
  • OofaOofa RI
    Accepted Answer
    Howdy! I started Aetolia right after launch and played for a few years, took off for a few years, came back, rinse, repeat, and just started up again last week. I encourage you to do the same!

As far as PVE goes, there's also fishing now. I'm not sure it's suitable for 95+ leveling, but it's adequate experience for lower levels, gold is ok (not great, but I think it'll improve as I get higher skillranks), and the best part is I think it's one of the rare times you can invest credits in an IRE game and actually expect a return investment in gold. Unlike, say, a forging hammer or most tradeskills. If you're worried the class you want isn't top-tier PVE but has RP/PK advantages, this could help offset the sting for only 100cr.

I didn't want to be 18 again so I picked up a very dusty alt. If you like your advanced years, then come back and be an out-of-touch fogie with me. You're not alone! Sentaari are in Duiran now and Shallam Enorian got a big facelift, but I'm having a good time getting readjusted with the treefolks. They don't snuggle anymore.

For better or worse, classes and guilds are still mostly linked in Aetolia unlike Achaea and Lusternia, so even though you can multi-class and apprentice in extra classes, there's still a lot of mechanics that'll encourage you to join a particular guild for skills. If you kept your Sentaari class and brought back your old character, you'd probably have the most flexibility for picking up a second class to experiment.

Aetolia's numbers are higher than they've been in a while. It's been nice to actually see people when I log in! Welcome back :smile:

Answers

• Thank you Teani for a very thorough and helpful answer! I wasn't aware of the server side curing system but that has DEFINITELY convinced me to come back. :)

Thanks again!
  • RhyotRhyot Bloodloch
    Kalinaar said:

-Kalinaar

When it comes to PVE, there are some classes that are far better at it than others.

When it comes to Spirit tether: Templar and Sentinels seem to be the go to for tankability/dps.

When it comes to Shadow tether: Teradrim is the absolute best with Carnifex coming in at a firm second. Any other class is garbage at PVE with shadow tether.

Keep in mind, you can make the other various classes viable in PVE if you decide to invest a few thousand credits into various artifacts, but if you can't... the above classes will get you the best results for PVE.