Ankyrean Anguish - Aetolia-based RAGE

Comments

• MacavityMacavity Chicago, Il
    oh I have done that too with a knife no doubt!  Its like ok carve cards....come back in an hour to find yourself FINALLY off balance!!
    “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” 
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Veritas says, "Sorry for breaking your system Macavity."
    Veritas says, "My boss fights crash Macavity's computer now."
  • Some of the interaction between Spinesreach citizens lately. Like the most recent that got under my skin -- There's absolutely no reason to needlessly insult and make racist comments to your comrade because they disagree with your opinion/actions, especially when the concern was civil and well-spoken.
    IllikaalAmaraMoireanRivas
  • edited March 2013

I log in, see Daskalos's corpse at the entrance to Enorian, and do whatever I do when I see the body of a friend/guildmate/citymate: I check other cities to see if they have a bounty. A few thousand gold later, I've claimed a bounty from Spinesreach.

A few minutes ago, I get this:

(CityOfficial) has declared you an enemy of the City of Spinesreach.    (Didn't see this initially)

The City of Spinesreach has placed a bounty on your head for 2000 gold. Reason: Cheating our bounty system, and thus, theft from the Republic.

You tell City Official, "I understand it's best to speak with you in regards to my recent bounty, aye?"

Official tells you, "You have no business taking gold from our coffers. That is about the long and the short of it."

You tell City Official, "I wasn't an enemy of your city, and therefore am eligible to collect bounties. I've done nothing wrong, truly, it's just the way that bounties work."

Official tells you, "I dont give two flying (unicorns) in all honesty."

You tell City Official, "So let me get this straight...you're bountying people for claiming bounties, now? On what grounds?"

Official tells you, "I am bountying you for an illegitimate claiming of my cities gold. Daskalos is your city mate, I am saying he let you kill him for the bounty."

You tell City Official, "...I -found- his corpse at the entrance to my city as I entered the realm, CityOfficial. What on earth makes you think he let me kill him, or even that I -did- kill him?"

You tell City Official, "Or are you just assuming?"

Official tells you, "Making an educated guess."

You tell City Official, "You're assuming, then. So no one saw me kill him on deathsight, no one heard anything...you're just making up a story to suit your desires?"

You tell City Official, "I found his body. I turned it in. He died, and the body was turned in to your city for payment. That's how bounties work."

Official tells you, "Your complaints fall on deaf ears."

You tell City Official, "Your accusations are baseless and unfounded. You are bountying someone for false reasons, simply because you do not like them, for claiming a bounty."

I got enemied and bountied for claiming a bounty:

Enemy Status for the City of Spinesreach.
    Name:         Rivas
    Length:      
    Enemied by:   CityOfficial
    Date Enemied: 12th Lleian, 386MA
    Fine:         0
    Offense:      Abusing our bounty system, Daskalos let him kill him to retrieve the bounty.
    Last Edited:  12th Lleian, 386MA by CityOfficial

No fine for the enemy status. No term. I was told that: "CityOfficial tells you, "You have no price set on your enemy status, you will be dealt with when hostilities between our cities are ceased.""
    When asked further about when my enemy status could be lifted: "CityOfficial tells you, "When I feel it is safe to allow you entrance to my city again.""

Dick move, Spinesreach. Dick. Move.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

(The Front Line): Daskalos says, "<-- artifacts."

MoireanEsperCalipsoAldricFenrirAngwe
  • I think enemying was overboard, but it kind of snubs the entire point of a bounty, if you just grab any ol' corpse and turn it in. Bounties are supposed to be 'You did x, now I am here to kill you for it!' not 'Hey look I found a body, $$$$!!!'

Xavin said:
    And everything Kog says ... is true.
    HadoryuEzalorArbre
  • I can sorta understand that to an EXTENT, but when you enemy/bounty and don't even let them pay back the "theft", it goes straight to "dick move", I think.

• I guess just general AnguishRAGE at Spinesreach in general, these days. It's very disappointing.

Next time I'll just -earn- the enemy status and bounty, seriously.

AmaraRhoPiperAldric
  • PhoeneciaPhoenecia The Merchant of Esterport Somewhere in Attica
    I think this can be aptly summed up with 'lolSpinesreach'.

On the more constructive side: I really don't think you should enemy people for claiming bounties since that's kind of...petty I guess? It's 2k gold, big whoop. But then counter-bountying the person for it? Now you're not only being petty, you're being a jerk for no reason.
    AmaraRhoNolaEmelleAlistairePeriluna
  • It really irritates the crap out of me that I have to spend 750 credits to get a Hammer of Forging just to be able to make things that people will buy. Seriously stupid. No other Mercantile skill has such a thing attached to it, I don't believe. Ugh.
    "Hell hath no hold on a warrior’s mind, see how the snow has made each of us blind. Vibrant colors spray from new dead, staining the earth such a beautiful red."
  • ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    Enorian has done the same thing, or bountied people for entering due to mapper misfire.

I generally think bounties should be reserved for citizens only, and/or via treatied organizations. That would help with a bit of those kinds of issues.
  • PhoeneciaPhoenecia The Merchant of Esterport Somewhere in Attica
    Malok said:
    It really irritates the crap out of me that I have to spend 750 credits to get a Hammer of Forging just to be able to make things that people will buy. Seriously stupid. No other Mercantile skill has such a thing attached to it, I don't believe. Ugh.
    The investment is pretty high for an item that's really only supposed to improve convenience, and it's practically -required- to get if you want to consistently forge stuff with good stats without wasting a ton of commodities. I honestly think the price tag could stand to be reduced by half, maybe, to put it around the price of stuff like the crafting boon items.
  • ArekaAreka Drifting in a sea of wenches' bosoms
    edited March 2013
    Malok said:
    It really irritates the crap out of me that I have to spend 750 credits to get a Hammer of Forging just to be able to make things that people will buy. Seriously stupid. No other Mercantile skill has such a thing attached to it, I don't believe. Ugh.
    You don't have to buy the hammer, you just have to spend more time forging (outside of armour or honed-range weapons, in which case you can still get decent armour, _3/_3, the max of armour trending _4/_5 range with a hammer). Most classes use extremes, so non-hammer smiths are perfectly viable in the market when it comes to 178-180 dam/speed hitting/thrusting implements.

Edit: You really can't cross-compare the mercantiles like this. Yes you make a choice, yes it can be uneven, but you can't compare forging (custom equipment and crafting system, myriad of ranges and needs and specializations between classes and weapon types) and its processes/use with harvesting/mixing plants or organs for consumables.
    Kiyotan
    two things...

@rivas this is starting to become the norm now as Spinesreach, Bloodloch, Enorian do it and I am not sure about Duiran to be honest but i am sure they do it as well.  Sadly this is where we have gotten ourselves to. 

@malok you cant say that about the Hammer and other Mercantile skills as the only other one out there right now is Reanimation and Concoctions and they both have items that boosts their outputs.  Also keep in mind that enchanting and venoms will be going that way as well and I can only assume that an item to help boost them would come as well.  Though now that I think about it there is one for enchanting to speed it up, but nothing for venoms that I know of.  Yeah it sucks but its a good way to may gold and the credits back once you buy one and start using it...more so if you advertise it
    ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

• MoireanMoirean Chairmander Portland
    Some of the interaction between Spinesreach citizens lately. Like the most recent that got under my skin -- There's absolutely no reason to needlessly insult and make racist comments to your comrade because they disagree with your opinion/actions, especially when the concern was civil and well-spoken.
    Yeah, I've been getting that from person x for a few days now. I have no idea why he hates me, and he spewed a bunch of generic insults and put me on ignore when I tried to ask, so I guess I won't find out. Also, no aideship for me, since he's a minister.
  • edited March 2013
    Forging in general is not a cheap or easy mercantile to use. If you want 80+/80+ fullplate (which a carnifex needs) be prepared to spend $20k+ on steel alone. If you want to make good weapons it will still cost you several commodites from smelting and reforging, but not as much if you apprentice in a particular type. I know that I spend less on making vials and venoms, which requires a few thousand gold if you are unluck. 
    Carnifex failing since 2011. Fixes coming Soon ™
  • Regarding the bounty thing in Spines ... honestly, I would've done the same thing? I mean, that bounty was placed there so someone would kill Daskalos over something he did in spines. You picking up a random corpse to turn in means you're creating a headache by falsely fulfilling a bounty and robbing the city of gold - that reward was to go to whoever iced Daskalos for his crime.

Why would you ever think it's ok to essentially falsely claim a bounty like that? What would you do if they did the same thing to your city? Enemying you is the surest way to make sure you don't get a chance to do it again and bountying is the actual punishment.

Don't get me wrong, I'm usually totally against overreactins and pegasus moves, but in this case, I don't see a more appropriate way to handle the situation.
    IlyonHaven
    just add a point....if the coders or Admins of the Game wanted to make it so the person who killed the other person was the only one that could turn in for bounties then they would have coded it in like they do for shrine offerings where you cant offer if you were not the person to kill....

― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

edited March 2013
    I rage at the Carnifex guildhall. OMIGOD EVERY SINGLE ROOM is riddled with typos/grammatical errors/idon'tevenknow and half of them refer to the Infernals. I can only withdraw 100k gold a day, and, even with using the personal gold I already had, I'm already out of money from redescribing....and there are so many more to go... :(:(:(
    Calipso
  • ArbreArbre Arbrelina Jolie Braavos
    Macavity said:
    two things...

@rivas this is starting to become the norm now as Spinesreach, Bloodloch, Enorian do it and I am not sure about Duiran to be honest but i am sure they do it as well.  Sadly this is where we have gotten ourselves to. 

We barely enemy people when they do stuff.  You can come into the city and kill a citizen and generally keep ally status.  Aarbrok and Xentor came in and killed Aithene for the pack challenge and didn't get enemied because they didn't "actively work against the rhythm" or whatever.  They came in, killed, left, and had a reason for the kill, therefore they broke no laws.
    CalipsoAarbrok
  • Rage that I wont get my new monitor in time to participate in the second half of the bashing event Fenrir's house is involved in. :(

Though I guess yay I'm getting a new monitor.
  • KiyotanKiyotan spectacular vernacular Summit of the Falconmount
    Rage that I set Duiran aflame trying to fix an exterminated room. Worst Feral Will ever. 
    Some may say we've lost our way, but I believe we've not gone far enough.
    PiperAmaraLinIosynePerilunaArbreTeaniAngwe
  • Kiyotan said:
    Rage that I set Duiran aflame trying to fix an exterminated room. Worst Feral Will ever. 
    rofl. Now that would be a sight to see.
  • Rivas said:
    I can sorta understand that to an EXTENT, but when you enemy/bounty and don't even let them pay back the "theft", it goes straight to "dick move", I think.
    You act as if this is the first time the bounty system was used for stupid ass reasons, should we dig through the logs of Enorian bountying? I can actually understand why this Official got angry since it was/is a common practice for 'friends' to claim the bounties of others and then split the gold.

However, I still hold that the concept of the bounty system is very flawed. Players should not have the ability to place Open Pk status on other players for whatever reasons they so desire. It creates a complicated environment and generally overbearing.
  • There is no reason to start an argument over something that has passed. Leave it die. 
  • I just want to make sure everyone's clear what I'm really mad about (now that I've had a chance to sleep):

Yes, the bounty system is flawed. However, I was only working within the system. When the CityOfficial raised a fuss, the first thing I did after pleading my case was offer to pay the money back...and I was denied.

Yes, some have said that enemy status would be what they would've done: so...you would've enemied someone INDEFINITELY, with no chance of removing the status until you "decide that they're not a threat to the city anymore", even though nothing that was done initially was a threat? There are people enemied to Spinesreach for raiding, killing guards and lighting the place on fire who have a set fine and a term...neither of which I have.

That's the unicorn move, really. It's very chimera of them, and I'd go so far as to say they're just outright Manbearpigs.

ErzsebetFenrir
    NOT THE MYTHICAL CREATURES!!!!

I'm personally bummed to see Rivas enemied, since I think he's one of the most fun and engaging people in Aetolia. From what I've seen, he's always walked an interesting line, being cordial to darkies while being Mr. Luminary.

From a city standpoint, I think it's an overreaction - enemy statuses seem a lot harder to clear these days, so gaining one kinda blows. On the other hand, he's from Enorian, so technically Spinesreach has no reason to do him any favors...Is pushing hostility good RP or is it just being kinda a dick? It's something I've been considering myself a lot lately.
    EmelleAmaraFenrirPeriluna
  • KerrynKerryn The Black Flagon Inn
    Moirean said:
    I rage at the Carnifex guildhall. OMIGOD EVERY SINGLE ROOM is riddled with typos/grammatical errors/idon'tevenknow and half of them refer to the Infernals. I can only withdraw 100k gold a day, and, even with using the personal gold I already had, I'm already out of money from redescribing....and there are so many more to go... :(:(:(

Secretaries are able to withdraw 100k each day as well. Have them pull from the guild accounts and pass you the gold. It's what I did when I redid the Sentaari guildhall recently.

MacavityMoirean
  • EmelleEmelle Dreamshaper Tecpatl's Cradle
    edited March 2013
    I think there's a fine line between using a situation like this as a vehicle for RP and just being an asshole for the sake of it. This incident is something that could have led to an interesting interaction between Rivas and Spinesreach Official(s), but the way he was treated and the punishment he was levied both strike me as complete overreactions to his offense. It would be one thing if said Official had made an effort to turn the situation into a real interaction, or just allow Rivas to pay the fine or be bountied in exchange if the Official really didn't want to deal with him, but what actually occurred comes off as total douchebaggery.
    RivasNolaMoireanFenrirArbreAngwe
  • KiyotanKiyotan spectacular vernacular Summit of the Falconmount
    edited March 2013
    Calipso said:
    Kiyotan said:
    rofl. Now that would be a sight to see.
    Very well. I hope this accurately conveys the moment that I freaked out and panicked:

The massive core of the Great Oak. (Duiran.) (25263) [-Haern-]
    The land and plantlife here have been blackened and burned. Raest stands here, clasping a great spear in his right hand as he overlooks the primordial heart of the Great Oak. There are 2 monolith sigils here. Fell green energy emanates from the pulsing core of the Great Oak, a massive pillar erupting from the earth to tower over the Heartwood. There are 3 burly centaur crossbowmen here. Blending in nearly perfectly with her environs, a cloaked wilderness warden waits here for potential trouble. A large, blood-splattered totem has been erected here, formed of obsidian, ivory and red-wood. Facing outwards and surrounding the totem are a large ivory bear, an obsidian raven and a red-wood serpent. A faun of the ancient wood lingers in the area, his presence vaguely eerie. Surrounded in an aura of defilement, Seir is here, covered in red fur. The sublime glow of the core casts an effulgent green light over the surrounding area.

(Dion an Duir): You say, "I was saying earlier, Seir." 
    (Dion an Duir): You say, "I don't think Daru can rejuv anymore."
    (Dion an Duir): You say, "S'just Shaman."
    (Dion an Duir): Seir says, "Quicken?"
    (Dion an Duir): You say, "Now actually -sets- fires."
    (Dion an Duir): Seir says, "You're shitting me."
    (Dion an Duir): You say, "Been that way for a long time."
    (Dion an Duir): Seir says, "I know it starts fires normally."
    (Dion an Duir): Seir says, "But in forest terrain, rejuvenates."
    (Dion an Duir): You say, "I can test it out right now."
    (Dion an Duir): Seir says, "Yeah. Let me know."
    (Dion an Duir): You say, "Be prepared to put out fire."
    (Dion an Duir): Seir says, "Icebreath should work."
    (Dion an Duir): Seir says, "Go for it, Kiyo."

Holding forth the elemental ashes to magnify your power, you focus on increasing the ambient temperature. As the air rapidly heats, sparks begin to flicker, setting your surroundings alight. You continue your relentless assault, channeling your power into the flames, amplifying them into an unquenchable inferno.
    The raging inferno around you ignites your flesh.
    You are afflicted with ablaze.

The roaring inferno engulfs you as you fight to find a way out.

Seir gathers a deep breath of air into his chest, before releasing an icy draft at the ground, coating it with a slick layer of ice.

The massive core of the Great Oak. (Duiran.) (25263) [-Haern-]
    A raging inferno burns here. The ground is slick with ice. The land and plantlife here have been blackened and burned.

Seir gathers a deep breath of air into his chest, before releasing an icy draft at the ground, coating it with a slick layer of ice.

You take in a huge breath of air, gathering it within your lungs before blasting the ground with a freezing stream of air, slick ice forming in an instant beneath you.

(Dion an Duir): Seir says, "Consume the flames, Kiyo."

The raging inferno is too much for you to consume.

(Dion an Duir): You say, "The raging inferno is too much for you to consume."
    (Dion an Duir): Seir says, "Lol."
    (Dion an Duir): You say, "Rofl."
    (Dion an Duir): You say, "The Feral Will who set his own council on fire."
    (Dion an Duir): Seir says, "OGOD WHAT HAVE WE DONE."
    (Dion an Duir): You say, "Still doesn't fix the fkn exterm."
    Some may say we've lost our way, but I believe we've not gone far enough.
    AldricCalipsoLinMoireanPerilunaHaernArbreCiarelle
  • I know this will rub a lot of people the wrong way, but I'm not gonna let that get to me.

People getting abused/harassed/shot down/flagged/reported/issued etc when venting their opinion or posting responses, with something I supect is close to the truth, really irks me. It's happened a lot lately, especially towards one person, who has, quite honestly, done a lot of dumb things. However, the current witch hunt is just too much, to the point where it's actually making me feel uncomfortable. Drop it, leave it in the past, all of you on all sides, and we can all feel better.

CalipsoFenrirCiarelle
  • Konnorn said:

I know this will rub a lot of people the wrong way, but I'm not gonna let that get to me.

People getting abused/harassed/shot down/flagged/reported/issued etc when venting their opinion or posting responses, with something I supect is close to the truth, really irks me. It's happened a lot lately, especially towards one person, who has, quite honestly, done a lot of dumb things. However, the current witch hunt is just too much, to the point where it's actually making me feel uncomfortable. Drop it, leave it in the past, all of you on all sides, and we can all feel better.

No.

Time and again it has been shown that if the playerbase does not police itself things can and will get out of hand rather quickly. If someone is behaving in a pants on head retarded fashion it is up to the playerbase to inform them of it and try and get the behavior to stop.

The current 'witch hunt' you refer to is hardly that. It's a simple fact that the decision that was made was a poor one and that it should have been handled differently. If you're feeling uncomfortable, it's up to you to remove yourself from the situation, not simply tell everyone to move on and leave a bad situation unresolved.
    IllikaalRivas
This discussion has been closed.