MAD 2: MADDEN'S MADDENING.

Comments

• Guess we can all die together.

I went through Ivan, and it was a Cat 3, and there was still a lot of damage. 

My grandparents are being stubborn old people and saying they're going to stay through if it hits. I was like, Ivan was a 3 and this is a 5 and it's not been here yet - you're leaving. You, the dog, the cat, my brother, my mother, all of you will be packed up and shipped out.

Since I live on the panhandle though, my odds of avoiding tragedy are better! Maybe if I wish REALLY HARD for my birthday it'll just magically dissolve.

Then we'll only have to worry about the THIRD ONE THATS FORMING.

KasimirHavenIshin
  • AxiusAxius where I am
    Stupid mad is stupid, but...

Trying to get into Guild Wars 2 again because I've had an MMO itch lately:

Apparently I forgot my LAST cell phone (the one that's been inactive for YEARS now), had SMS authentication on it. And I have to wait for them to get back to me to remove it. And I have to jump through hoops to prove it is me -_-
  • People are losing their minds over this hurricane and it likely won't even hit us. We're having gas shortages and water has been bought out. People are fighting over cases of water. Here's why this is absolutely ridiculous to begin with (and a good tip for any of you who is new to this thing and will be dealing with it in Florida):

You. Have. Water. In your house. You literally pay to have that water. Why go buy packaged water?! Fill up your bath tubs, your sinks, any containers (soda bottles work if you wash them, you know). Pack your freezer with the smaller water-filled items for when your power goes out to preserve your temp. Open the freezer only to get food out, and cook your meats ahead of time/refreeze them. Canned soup and food are not perishable and should what you stock up with. You will be without running water (especially clean water) and power. So charge all your devices. Candles are great. Fill up your cars - if you're worried about losing your car, you might want to consider switching to full coverage. Basic things you might want to consider getting:
    Soap. Firstaid kits. Flashlights. Even solar powered garden lights will work. Batteries. Paper plates/bowls. I don't advise no biodegradable kitchenware, you're going to be flooded - who's going to clean up all the trash that will inevitably already be littering your environment? Probably no one. If you have pets, get food for them in advance, if you have medications, make sure you have enough to last several weeks. Get some booze. Maybe a kayak while you're at it.

Important belongings should be stacked high on top of everything else in case you do flood. If your house goes under water, at least you tried.

If you are in the direct path, you might want to consider LEAVING - now, not later, when the streets are backed up and a hurricane is a day away from you. Category 5 hurricanes, especially one of this size and power, are nothing to ignore. They're extremely dangerous.

Vash
  • PhoeneciaPhoenecia The Merchant of Esterport Somewhere in Attica
    This is kind of what gets me about any natural disaster. The husband and I have watched a few survival shows and read survival books, and a lot of people seem to get basic emergency prep wrong.

People for some reason are more than happy to stockpile firearms and ammo, but not first aid kits or really important necessities like stuff for cleaning/purifying water, reflective blankets, flares/glowsticks, firestarting materials, and the right kind of foods (MREs are a nice thing to have around). Having bug out bags is extremely helpful. My family lived near a chemical plant, and a nuclear plant further away, and we always had to be prepared to leave at a moment's notice in case things went horribly wrong. On top of that, our area had suffered through days long blackouts and ice storms in the past. When you live in places that are at risk of certain things, you kind of have no excuse for not being at least minimally prepared.
  • HavenHaven World Burner Flight School
    Axius said:
    Stupid mad is stupid, but... Trying to get into Guild Wars 2 again because I've had an MMO itch lately: Apparently I forgot my LAST cell phone (the one that's been inactive for YEARS now), had SMS authentication on it. And I have to wait for them to get back to me to remove it. And I have to jump through hoops to prove it is me -_-
    What server are you on?
    ¤ Si vis pacem, para bellum. ¤
    Someone powerful says, "We're going to have to delete you."
    havenbanner2
  • RhyotRhyot Bloodloch
    Ugh! So myself and Coribhell have been playing Ark: Survival Evolved together for awhile now (on our own undedicated server) and have a nice base set up with a handful of tamed dinos/birds. Which is great... weeks of work to have a decent progress in the game.

Now, we don't mind if other people join and play the game, so long they agree not to raid our house and steal our stuff. That's fine. Enjoy the game server to your heart's content, we're both pretty chill nor will we kill you. However, that doesn't mean you need to be a dick, use cheat codes (which we thought were disabled) to give yourself the best gear/weapons in the game and then start MURDERING our fucking dinos that we spent DAYS taming/leveling up.

Looks like we'll be looking at more of the available options/limitations of our server and trying to set it up for pure PVE so that assholes can't just destroy days/weeks of work because they feel like being a douchebag.

• Rhyot said:

Ugh! So myself and Coribhell have been playing Ark: Survival Evolved together for awhile now (on our own undedicated server) and have a nice base set up with a handful of tamed dinos/birds. Which is great... weeks of work to have a decent progress in the game.

Now, we don't mind if other people join and play the game, so long they agree not to raid our house and steal our stuff. That's fine. Enjoy the game server to your heart's content, we're both pretty chill nor will we kill you. However, that doesn't mean you need to be a dick, use cheat codes (which we thought were disabled) to give yourself the best gear/weapons in the game and then start MURDERING our unicorns dinos that we spent DAYS taming/leveling up.

Looks like we'll be looking at more of the available options/limitations of our server and trying to set it up for pure PVE so that assholes can't just destroy days/weeks of work because they feel like being a douchebag.

I mean....it IS the internet. What did you expect? There's always going to be cheaters/hackers/scripters coming around to ruin everyone's fun. If you're running any sort of game like that, you should make those preparations by default.
    "And finally, swear to Me: You will give your life to Dendara for you are Tiarna an-Kiar."
    Ishin
  • KasimirKasimir Clearwater, FL
    They've issued evac orders for my area, so Imma have a wonderful, impromptu vacation! To somewhere north of GA. Probably TN.

Anyone up for a lunch?

And I found out today I'm type 1. At least I got the insulin before leaving the city. ---
    Didi
  • IshinIshin Retired Lurker Virginia
    Kasimir said:

They've issued evac orders for my area, so Imma have a wonderful, impromptu vacation! To somewhere north of GA. Probably TN.

Anyone up for a lunch?

And I found out today I'm type 1. At least I got the insulin before leaving the city. ---

Diabettus
    Tell me and I forget, teach me and
    I remember, involve me and I
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
    KasimirZaila
  • EowynEowyn Somewhere
    This is not me seeking pity, but this is me wanting to vent a little somewhere. Last month or so has been a nightmare at work. It had finally calmed down, and then all hell broke loose again. Along with this, since husband and I are looking to try for #2, I went off some meds. Been a nightmare of vertigo and various other issues.

Well, this week decided to be worse. My mom lives with us. Saw she was starting to have signs of pneumonia. Thought some soup would do her good. She choked on part of it. Nearly lost her. She's stable now, but has a long road ahead of her due to the lung fluid stuff. And, because of this and once she's lucid again, going to have to broach moving her into care. Ontop of this, her dog got depressed fast and is old so she was making a mess all over her room. Had to board her inbetween meetings, which work has been at least good enough to take over a lot of them. Plus, dealing with my sister already trying to act 'helpful' when I can tell she's seen how my mom is and thinks she needs to wiggle onto her good side (you know, after ignoring her for the good part of a year).

To top it all off, one of my clients has me working tonight and almost all of tomorrow afternoon/evening. He has been cruel, petty, and rude even considering he knows about all of this and my lack of sleep (since I didn't mention my son waking up repeatedly lately too for w/e reason).

So now, I shall go sleep. I will wake up at least a few times, most likely, and then call to check on my mom in the morning. I may get a little of play time in with my son, then it's right back to the grind for the rest of the day. Probably will work Sunday, too. Been so busy that a shower was a luxury today and we haven't been able to clean or get groceries (since I usually handle those) in well over a week and a half. So, here's to maybe this all calming the eff down. Someone have some hard drinks for me.
    Teani
  • SibattiSibatti Mamba dur Naya Amidst vibrant flora and trees
    This is extremely minor and not at all serious but I'm slightly bummed that @Aishia changed her sig away from the regal potato thing. I don't know why I miss it but I do.
    TekiasZailaKelliaraXenia
  • B)
    VashZailaSibattiKelliara
  • RhyotRhyot Bloodloch
    Ugh. Just ugh! I hate when people go and ask you for your opinion/thoughts on something and then when you give them, you get attacked for them or told that you're wrong.

Same thing when someone asks for suggestions. If you give them a suggestion and the person doesn't agree with it, they say, "Nope, you're wrong. Go fuck yourself because we're doing this my way because I'm a fucking snowflake and like things this way." Then don't ask for suggestions if all you're going to do is disagree with EVERYONE who gives a suggestion!

DidiMarienaCamilleErzsebetIshin
  • RijettaRijetta Nowhere Important
    Fuck housing and residence life sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much. They decided to create a "Senior RA" position (read: MIDDLE MANAGEMENT) whose only job is to get paid more than the people who were their peers last year, and snitch on them, and do legwork for the Resident Coordinators. Narcs who narc on narcs. They're encouraging a fucking awful culture amongst the RAs of snitching on one another like crazy. It's a damn piranha tank. They keep fucking making up new rules because they don't like something. We get one weekend a month to go "off the grid" and go home or go do other stuff, be off campus, and now if we want to sleep in a different bed on campus (such as with an SO) we have to file that as our time away, even if it's just one night. Even though we're on campus. It's bullshit, and I know for a fucking fact that one of the Senior RAs did that shit ALL THE TIME last semester, along with loud sex and fragrantly ignoring the guest policy.

And they think that the senior RA position is great -- no the hell it isn't!! They offered it to me and I told them to shove it because I actually read the contract. The only people who took it are the people who would throw you under the bus for a corn chip anyway. And it's all because of the new fucking director of housing. We're not allowed to criticize anything Housing does anymore -- we have to "trust in their vision". Yay fucking thought police.
    A low, sultry voice resounds within the depths of your mind, "I look forward to seeing your descent."
    XavinDidiIshin
  • JensenJensen Corruption's Butcher
    Rijetta said:

unicorns housing and residence life sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much. They decided to create a "Senior RA" position (read: MIDDLE MANAGEMENT) whose only job is to get paid more than the people who were their peers last year, and snitch on them, and do legwork for the Resident Coordinators. Narcs who narc on narcs. They're encouraging a unicorns awful culture amongst the RAs of snitching on one another like crazy. It's a damn piranha tank. They keep unicorns making up new rules because they don't like something. We get one weekend a month to go "off the grid" and go home or go do other stuff, be off campus, and now if we want to sleep in a different bed on campus (such as with an SO) we have to file that as our time away, even if it's just one night. Even though we're on campus. It's unicorns, and I know for a unicorns fact that one of the Senior RAs did that unicorns ALL THE TIME last semester, along with loud sex and fragrantly ignoring the guest policy.

And they think that the senior RA position is great -- no the hell it isn't!! They offered it to me and I told them to shove it because I actually read the contract. The only people who took it are the people who would throw you under the bus for a corn chip anyway. And it's all because of the new unicorns director of housing. We're not allowed to criticize anything Housing does anymore -- we have to "trust in their vision". Yay unicorns thought police.

idk who thought highschool or college were the glory years because you just reminded me how much I love being a young adult ( out of school and in my 20s)
    Zaila
  • MarienaMariena By a lake.
    Wednesday the 13th, I had every tooth on the left bottom side of my face filled. Thought life went well, everything was feeling good.

Fast forward to today.

My face is swollen, I am migraine-filled, fevered, belly-sick, and my jaw fucking -hurts-. Went to the convenience clinic. My blood pressure is having a hay day with it. 170/130.

I am now on 10 days of antibiotics. I have to see my dentist on Monday. Bah.

Mild love for Lipton plain tea bags. You steep your tea bag, you wring it out a little and stuff it where it hurts in your mouth. Hello sweet relief. Just dunk to re-up warm soothing qualities.

Didi
  • RodalaRodala Houston, TX

This little bastard.
    Tekias
  • Rodala said:

This little bastard.

If I recall correctly when I solved it years ago, I believe the bottom or the back is displayed upside-down or backwards. You just have to pay attention to how it rotates.
    "And finally, swear to Me: You will give your life to Dendara for you are Tiarna an-Kiar."
  • Niuri told me I had to solve it for an order task and I just told her I wouldn't do it.
    DidiVashZaila
  • SaritaSarita Empress of Bahir'an The Pillars of the Earth
    That was probably a good thing. Niuri's last lesson was that trying to be too smart isn't actually smart at all.
    Zaila
  • AxiusAxius where I am
    Lately been counterbalancing stresses of IRL with a minecraft server project. So far? Looking good, I'm just frustrated with the mods/admin not being as active as they should be, and the fact that there are NO VILLAGERS WITH SILKTOUCH!!!!!

(I like my server btw, there are reasons why I'm still active on it, in spite of a few fairly sizeable flaws with uh.. lack of population.)
    Didi
  • ErzsebetErzsebet Altaholic
    edited September 2017
    Someone, I suspect the kid who was in there watching anime, turned off my fucking clothes and then turned it back on when he left. So it took an extra 2 hours to do my clothes than it should have. Didn't get to bed until 3:30.

And someone stole my unicorns laundry hamper.

Grumpgrumpgrump.

ETA: Unicorns. >.> Why does GD not filter.
    imageimage
    Didi
  • ArbreArbre Arbrelina Jolie Braavos
    I have a large, screened in back porch where we keep the cats. I was heading out to meet some friends at Olive Garden for lunch and saw something pink on one of the cat's tail (Ansnom's cat, specifically). Checked it out and it is a spot over the size of a silver dollar right at the base of his tail that is hamburger raw and one part is even like a hole or something you can see under a flap, I don't know, I didn't mess with it much for fear of hurting him.

Knowing we'd never get into the Humane Society this quickly, we took him to the vet down the road (which I really don't particularly like anyways). They inspected it and told us it was a bad wound that was going to require surgery to get off the necrotic skin (how the fuck we didn't notice the wound before now is BEYOND me if it's necrotic, I just don't know). 800+ dollars that we don't have. So we paid the 75 for the office visit and the antibiotics they gave us, and took him home.

Momma called the Humane Society and they said they'd charge 40 bucks for an appointment and check it out, see what they could do and quote us some. Said there's a possibility they could just amputate his tail and that would be cheaper and easier on everyone.

So now until Monday the poor thing is stuck in my bathroom to keep him away from the other cats and such.
    SessizlikAxius
  • edited October 2017
    Illidan said:

Teani said:

Illidan said:

Some people seem to reveal new levels of crazy to you once break up.

Fixed.

Sorry you had to go through that, @Illidan. I had an ex who trashed the hallway outside the counsellor's office. His anger issues were so great I had to break the news to him there in order to feel safe. He ended up stealing stuff from my apartment before I got home, because he still had the key. (I got it all back though).

Long story short, I know what you mean. Chin up, though. Things will improve.
    Actually that's literally what happened to me. I came back home, she stole pretty much my entire pot stash (which I can use legally cause i'm licensed) which was like $300 worth. Stole one of my monitors from my desktop rig, my Roku, and then trashed my bedroom (because the rest of the house wasn't enough). I didn't stop her from taking any of her belongings, and I was very civil with her. I asked her not to touch my stuff when she came to get her things, and she did. I hadn't realized all of these things were gone because I had to leave for work. I asked for it nicely, and she and her cousin that she had in my house helping get her stuff just told me "If you want it come get it." Yeah sorry, the only games I play are on the PC.

I called the cops, filed a police report, took a screenshot of the report I filed and sent it to the both of them, listing her cousin as an accomplice in the theft that took place with pictures attached of the damage they did as well as names, addresses, phone numbers, vehicles + license plates, and places of employment. Her cousin definitely wasn't happy to know she was being listed as an accomplice and started freaking out, so she sent me a friend request on Facebook to try and talk to me. All I wanted was my stuff back. Now they're both about to have a few misdemeanors on their record. I gave them both fair warning not to try me, but they did, and lost.

To put icing on the cake, my cousin happens to be the captain of the police department the next city over (I'd told him the whole story and he told me to file the report, etc.) and he's handling it personally. Shoulda thought about that when you robbed me.
    Because everyone here deserves to know about your personal life, can we get an update on what happened afterwards please @Illidan ? I want to hear how they got thoroughly destroyed by your Cousin the Police Captain for their evil crimes.
    Zaila
  • TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    Glad you're doing better, @Illidan.
    "But I know what I am and the life I live, yeah, the life I live." ;)

Illikaal
  • IshinIshin Retired Lurker Virginia
    Crazy bitches are fucking crazy, @Illidan.
    Tell me and I forget, teach me and
    I remember, involve me and I
    learn.
    -Benjamin Franklin
    Rhyot
  • AxiusAxius where I am
    With the way things have been going lately, the stress is gonna kill me before anything else does in real life. I have to worry about the fact that the cable company hasn't recieved their payment yet, so they've basically cut our cable, and put a strict limit on our internet. This means that I am not sure if I have enough bandwidth to stream, and it also means that I have to worry about whether or not I can produce enough content to actually push my Patreon and my donation links out there. Then I have to worry if I am over-pushing my stuff and potentially annoying the crap out of what few viewers I do have, since I average between 2 and 3 viewers per the length of my streams... then I have to worry about if my content is worth viewing.. then that's just the stuff I have control of. I hate when people come to me with stuff I cannot control. =_=... I'm always so paranoid about so many things, and bills lately are starting to pile up and get expensive in ways that I'm nervous about, the potential that we're not gonna be able to cover groceries OR one of our bills is seeming to become a very real threat, and I don't like that.

I'm sorry if this seems stupid, and I'm sorry for venting. I just.. it's getting to be a bit much for me, I'm starting to get snippy with people and it's not fair to anyone who is being perky and happy, especially those who are usually stressed themselves, to be poking at me, someone who usually tries to be relatively low-stress and easy going when I can, only to find stressed snippiness being returned, or retracted distance and several vague hints at not wanting to be poked at or interacted with because I'm not the kind of person I want to present myself as being right now.

All it really boils down to is that I'm frustrated with my finances being so low, and that I cannot do anything about my lack of patrons on patreon, all I can do is push my luck on potentially annoying all of my potential viewers in pushing and shilling my Patreon page..
  • SessizlikSessizlik Muffin Mage
    Job has been really frustrating lately and it's slowly starting to take it's toll on me. As some of you may know, I work with chocolate. We are a small business that takes in work trainees, (people who have been unemployed for a long time and need a secure place to learn how to work again). I was one before getting hired and in many ways it's still the best job in the world. I mean.. I make people feel better about themselves and I get to work with chocolates!

However, my company is part of a big cooperative company, meaning, a lot of small businesses has been started, but never given enough time to get big enough to handle themselves, before the next business is added to the company. That means... well.. there's no money. This past spring the business had around 92 employees over 6 cities, now we have around 45 employees in 4 cities. A few businesses have been closed down and some property has been sold.

My chocolate shop isn't doing all that well either. We don't get any help from the bosses, we are just told how bad the economics are and that's it. There's no money for us to market ourselves, and believe me, we need to market ourselves, we are not positioned on a well travelled road.

Today, the boss made me flip my lid.. He's the economist of the company. I asked if we could make an order for some pretty vital things. The response was, "Yes, you can buy item A and item B, but you can't buy the shipping." I was all.. "Ahm.. what? I can't really pick and choose if I -want- to pay for shipping, you know?" Again, the guy... is the economist. There was some back and forth mailing and I still don't know if we can buy these things. He told us to go check the local supermarket and buy it there. Not economic and not the best when it comes to the food grade!

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised though. At one point, we were told we couldn't buy chocolate, yes, I am serious, no chocolate, because economics were too bad. Chocolate is what we do. We can't sell stuff if we don't have the stuff we sell! And with today, three days before we are going to a huge wine convention, when we are under-staffed, under-payed and over-worked, I just wanted to cry. I have held it together all day, because I don't want this job to break me, but it's getting there. A part of me wants them to just close us down, but that would mean I would be unemployed, and with my problematics, I can't just get a job anywhere. I need this to work and me and my coworker are killing ourselves over this, because we know this is a good business, if we just could do things right.

Sorry for the long rant. I was gonna spoiler this, but I can't remember how.