Fluff Skills

TiurTiur Producer
We're looking for ideas on skills that do little to nothing, but provide great amounts of flavor. For example, the Syssin use a special sign language. It has no combat implications, though it is hard coded as a thing.

I am considering things like, Luminaries and Zealots being able to light pipes/cigs without a tinderbox.

Put them in here, I'll update every now and then with yes/no/already did it.
Zaila

Comments

• TeaniTeani Shadow Mistress Sweden
    I tried adding these things in a report, even specifying that you could pick and choose from what might be possible. I would have liked to discuss potential versions of them to ensure -none- had combat implications, but the whole thing was rejected. I'm sorry, but in a way it made me feel a bit disheartened.

• PhoeneciaPhoenecia The Merchant of Esterport Somewhere in Attica
    I can't remember if I idea'd this or not, but an ability for Telepathy-users to MIND LEVITATE , and have an in-room message along the lines of 'X floats here, levitating through some kind of telekinetic force'. Because if the Monks can levitate and move all of Moghedu, why not be able to levitate small objects?
    KelliaraSibatti
  • Take all the vampire fluff things that aren't combat related and make them usable so long as you're a vampire but even if you're not in the vampire class. Masquerade, bat/wolfform, Sire, Glance, Will(maybe?), Tune, and Monitor?

I know that's not exactly what you asked for but it'd be super legit if you did. At least Masquerade pls :(
    (Web): Toz says, "Emir's Express Evacuation and Existence Eradicator, Every Experience is Explosive - Experience the Entirety of your Existence!"
    XeniaRijettaSibatti
  • For Telepathy: a Force pull-like reflavor of the GET command that has you telekinetically putting things into your hand. Similar idea for opening/shutting stuff, maybe?

Lighting things without tinderboxes should go along with other classes that can play with fire, like, say, Ascendril. (I'm not biased at all, natch.)

ZailaKelliaraSibatti
  • In no particular order,

I always liked the 'feel' of form demonstration, to the point sometimes I'd just stand around doing demonstrate at lessers when bored.

Similarly, I have always liked Rock-Paper-Scissors.

Combined, the two form something like SPAR , which compares your Tekura skill vs theirs in a form-lite demo that ends with one person being thrown based on stats or even just pure RNG.

Person 1 tries to grab person 2, person 2 wins the check and avoids it. They counter by sweeping the legs and tripping the other guy. Person 1 fails the check and falls, person 2 wins. Little automated things like that with some pretty flavor text you can do while bored and sitting around (or gamble on) are always neat.
    ------------------
    Let Sentinels paint their faces for colored descriptions?
    ------------------
    Let Templars use custom emotes with quickdraw up to a certain line limit? FANCYDRAW RAPIER LEFT .
    ------------------
    Shamans able to surround themselves with a crackling veil of lightning for a few minutes or at some steep WP cost, like those veil items already do.
    ------------------
    Indorani PICKACARD to flick a random card out of cache/deck and show it off with some flashy effect.
    ------------------
    Teradrim throwstone
      skill. 1 damage, clonks someone on the head with a rock at decent balance cost.
      ------------------
      I really wish Carnifex soul consumption was just a channeled ability where your soulstone floated over your head and sucked in souls without you having to smack them with your halberd because it's spammy and I like the aesthetic of a rock floating overhead sucking in souls while the Carnifex focuses.
      ------------------
      It'd be a lot of work probably, but giving Archivists the ability to SCAN and see some basic info about it (species, sapient, strength, random fact, etc.)

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

TeaniZailaKelliaraShachalaiVyxsisRijettaCamilleLuna
  • JensenJensen Corruption's Butcher
    A thousand years ago I'd always wanted sentinels to have more forest/nature flavor abilities; whether it's sending a special tell that lets you send messages via a forest breeze, having an interaction with a wild animal, or maybe even a brief plant blooming step (think princess mononoke forest spirit).
    ZailaSibattiCamille
  • edited August 2017
    For Ascendril/Sciomancers;

Shadow Apparition / Spirit Apparition

You can send this apparition to a mutual ally of yours in the continent, where you can see through the apparition, say (or maybe even emote) through it while you are somewhere else. The complex spell is hard to maintain, thus even a punch will destroy it for good. The skill could be optionally used on other people in the wilderness who are not on monolith (But has cooldown associated in that mode perhaps not to spam it?)
    Camille
  • For Archivists:

ELICIT SPACE : Increase the space in a container by 50%. Only one container can be expanded at a time. Does not effect container decay time. Cannot be used on artifact containers.

I.e. Can create a pack with 75 spaces in it.
    Now with 253% more Madness.
    Cute-Kelli by @Sessizlik.
    ShachalaiVash
  • IllikaalIllikaal Pray Area
    Jensen said:

A thousand years ago I'd always wanted sentinels to have more forest/nature flavor abilities; whether it's sending a special tell that lets you send messages via a forest breeze,

Druids have/always have had something similar to this. It's called grove whisper.
    "And finally, swear to Me: You will give your life to Dendara for you are Tiarna an-Kiar."
  • @Akaryuterra and I mused a bit on this yesterday and think it would be a great idea.

Abiliity to compose messages only other Archivists would see, something akin to leaving an in room message, floating about in the room in like purple text, a cleverly hidden notation.
  • Runas said:

@Akaryuterra and I mused a bit on this yesterday and think it would be a great idea.

Abiliity to compose messages only other Archivists would see, something akin to leaving an in room message, floating about in the room in like purple text, a cleverly hidden notation.

Archivists are now vandals.

Swara
    Sciomancers:
    * make use of Air and bend it in a way to conceal, direct or distort speech. 
    * resist falling flat from weather-induced wind or choking from similarly existent sandstorms. 
    * shift shadows and darkness in a room that has been flooded with darkness 

Ascendrils:
    * be able to speak long distance through fire, if it is present in the room. (total HP ripoff >.>)
    * become water resistant, so when it rains they can opt to not get soaked. 

KelliaraTekias
  • EowynEowyn Somewhere
    @Jensen Sentinels have an area specific bird call to send messages between each other.
    Zaila
  • - Indorani able to use their gremlin to deliver letters like the post office in Bloodloch does.
    - Sentinels able to use any woodlore ent like that
    - Is a channeled instakill fluff? Syssin able to headshot someone for a kill with a bow like a behead clone
    - Warhound fetch
      . Throw an object into the next room, your dog runs and brings it back
      - BREAK ICE with savagery warhammer to get rid of ice on the ground for a bit
      - WHITTLE for Wayfarer. Bored in the wilderness, you learn to carve little trinkets for yourself/others. Give a few pre-defined shapes or creatures, like bird/wolf/bear/toothpick/whatever. 1 wood comm turns into that trinket.
      - Wayfarers can chop down trees to make a furniture item with a few weeks decay time.
      - shaman jolt - charge yourself with static electricity and zap someone for a little damage
      - I wish bashing/pking actually made you look grimy or bloody, cleared on death. Everyone could SCRUB, but you could give a select few classes access to ways to clean themselves off, like shifters could clean their claws or Templars/Carnifex could POLISH ARMOR with a rag.

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

ShachalaiXeniaRijetta
  • TekiasTekias Wisconsin
    edited August 2017
    Toz said:
    - I wish bashing/pking actually made you look grimy or bloody, cleared on death. Everyone could SCRUB, but you could give a select few classes access to ways to clean themselves off, like shifters could clean their claws or Templars/Carnifex could POLISH ARMOR with a rag.
    I would gladly welcome this little bit of Dragon Age flavor (and if this comment alone nixes the idea, then this Apostate never said nothin')
    Formerly: Spiegel. Eidycue.

Hi.

ZailaShachalai
  • Seconding the opinion that people should get bloody, grimy, and overall stinky after combat.

As far as Ascendril remote-communications ideas go, the fireplace idea is a lot cooler (or hotter if you will.) That said I'd hate to see the water side of the equation get neglected, so to that end:
    • Being able to cast waterwalking on ourselves as a defense (it could be temporary, that's ok!)
    • Maybe being able to mess with the local weather some? I don't know how viable that is. (Actually as I pause to consider, that might be most appropriate for Shamans. But if mage guilds could do it too, that'd also be neat.)
    • A scrub-like spell we can cast that's slightly faster than normal scrubbing?
    • Filling containers with water without needing an external water source?
    Kelliara
  • AnteheAntehe Immortal
    edited August 2017

Do we really not have any other CRITters or DnDers here. :( So sad
    LeharVyxsis
    Shachalai said:

Maybe being able to mess with the local weather some? I don't know how viable that is. (Actually as I pause to consider, that might be most appropriate for Shamans. But if mage guilds could do it too, that'd also be neat.)
    Like dumping a bucket-load of rain on top of someone's head or make an angry storm cloud follow someone around for a while, zapping them with 1 damage at a slow tick.

Swara
  • AishiaAishia Queen Bee
    excuse me I can already do that
  • I would honestly like the ability to be able to tend to weapons and armor to extend their life a bit. Maybe not a TON but the flavor it creates is neat, and each class could do it. Sharpen blades, polish armor, dust off the magic dust from your staff, clip your nails if you're a fistfighting class. (the last one is a joke but man that would be funny)
    VyxsisZailaSwara
  • Toz said:

Indorani PICKACARD to flick a random card out of cache/deck and show it off with some flashy effect.

i want this and/or some general random-draw skill so Indorani can do fortune-telling stuff, bc... obviously.
    Indoran'i is back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (wolf Howl)
    An Atzob cultist says, "Is a shamatato as tasty as a potato?"
    (Tells): From afar, Mephistoles hisses harshly to you, "Hey baby, show me your ovipositor?"
    The mighty Jy'Barrak Golgotha opens his maw, catches the glowing spear in his many jagged teeth, and chomps down. The Divine spear breaks with a noise like thunder, shards toppling from the Emperor's jaws. "OM NOM NOM!" He declares, then spits the last of the ruined weapon from his lips.

Swara
  • LinLin Blackbird The Moonglade
    I love my guild (the Shamans), but for a bunch of drug-taking, spirit-bonded ritualistic badasses, we sure are lacking on the ritual!
    • Precipitation: The Shaman cracks their staff against the ground in an outdoor room, and summons a raincloud.
    • Divining: The Shaman uses a knife to open up the corpse of an animal and read portents of the future from the way its viscera falls. Could work like a magic 8-ball, giving a randomly chosen omen from a big ol' list.
    • Incense: The Shaman weaves incense into their clothing or hair, producing infrequent room messages whose smell lines work the same way as smokeable reagents.
    • Mycology: Instead of getting sick/hella stoned, the Shaman can see otherworldly visions from Dendara when eating mushrooms. Would work a bit like Divining but with the intention of tracking random going-ons in the natural plane, instead of perceiving the future.
    • Fruiting: In an appropriate natural environment or in a room with overgrowth, the Shaman can invoke the growth of fruiting vines, which can be picked from, the food eaten.
    VashKelliaraZaila
  • @Lin Isn't there already a bone-reading skill in the shaman skill tree that uses corpses?

• LinLin Blackbird The Moonglade
    Xavin said:

@Lin Isn't there already a bone-reading skill in the shaman skill tree that uses corpses?

It shows you whether or not they have you allied/enemied, and their health if they're in the area with you. I mean something neat and flavorful that'll give predictions of the future!
  • edited September 2017
    Lin said:

Xavin said:

@Lin Isn't there already a bone-reading skill in the shaman skill tree that uses corpses?

It shows you whether or not they have you allied/enemied, and their health if they're in the area with you. I mean something neat and flavorful that'll give predictions of the future!
    "According to your entrails, you're going to be disemboweled and your entrails used to divine your fate."
    Now with 253% more Madness.
    Cute-Kelli by @Sessizlik.
    ZailaTeaniVashRunasCaolanVyxsis
  • Lin said:

Xavin said:

That's entirely different then!

• It's pretty much a flavorful scry with a couple bonus abilities.
  • RijettaRijetta Nowhere Important
    Prestidigitation (Mages):

Instantly clean self
      Add temporary colorful lines to rooms
      Make firework/firestick-esque effects (limited?)
      Add very minor (negligible) nourishment to food (changing/improving taste); alternatively, save a food description/eating lines, and apply it to other food with no change in nourishment? turn rations into cakes.
    Carnifex:

Hound fetch (see toz's post)
      Hound fights? (Have two hounds fight each other, win/lose based on stats?) Maybe too much.
      Seconding polish armor/weapons, but ANOINT WEAPON/ARMOR WITH SOULS.
      And this one will never get through: SOUL SUMMON STEED. soul warhorse
    Luminary/Zealot:

Light pipes/tinderboxes with hands!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      Sanctuary/Warmth: creates a line in the description of the room that's like, a sense of warmth and comfort pervades the area. doesn't do anything, just makes people feel all good, maybe some ambience lines. lasts a day?
    A low, sultry voice resounds within the depths of your mind, "I look forward to seeing your descent."
  • @Lin There's a pouch of divining bones sold by an NPC east of the core (to duiranites only), which works similar to an 8-ball.
    CamilleZaila
  • SibattiSibatti Mamba dur Naya Amidst vibrant flora and trees
    Sentinels/Woodlore:
    The ability to tag a single animal/npc, which lets you seek out its location later.
    The ability to have the woodlore animals deliver things.
    KelliaraTeaniRijettaCamilleSwara