Sail the Beryl Seat with Boating!

BOATS. Yes, I refuse to cease wishing for boats. So here is what I've been thinking in terms of boats. This is of course an idea that will likely never come to fruition since it would take a lot of coding. But, given the popularity of fishing, boats do seem like a logical secondary 'minigame' of sorts. Also boats would just be fun!

With Aetolia's current design, there is no need for boats so far as travel goes. Boats could instead be a buy-in skill that is part of a faction group, like fishing, that then rewards the player in terms of quests + some small exploration opportunities tied in with them. These quests and exploration opportunities (little islands, often containing the quests) could result in gold, tradeskill ingredients, or other small items (such as collectibles). More skill ranks (gained through doing boat quests) leads to bigger and better boats that can get more quests and go more places.

Fishing could of course be tied into boats as well, with boats allowing access to new and interesting fishing areas. Have fishing but can't afford the boats skill and want to go to a boat-accessible fishing area? It would be a great opportunity to make some friends with boats, since what good is a boat if you can't have multiple people on it (with the number of people allowed scaling up according to the size of your boat).

When you first buy the Boating skill, you would get a nice little two-man rowboat, not good for much apart from some minor errands for the Dockmasters. These errands would raise your faction with the Dockmasters, and as your skill goes up, unlock the ability to purchase progressively bigger boats. At transcendent Boating, you gain a large boat with a good-sized deck, a couple cabins, and a hold, with the ability to customize these at a (expensive) cost. All boats could of course be named for a small fee (like a minipet).

The special fishing areas would just be a nice addition to Boating as well as Fishing. The meat of Boating would be in the boat-accessible weekly (or monthly) miniquests to be performed on small islands reachable by boat. The gold offered from these quests wouldn't be immense, more like fishing gold, but special tradeskill items could be found, whether dropped by island mobs, spawned in certain locations (island fruit, as an example), or perhaps dredged up in the harbors. Small items like these could also be a common quest reward, with some sort of collectible line offered as rare rewards (a collect-them-all sort of thing, like the figurines that are now in the ranking system).

So, yeah. Boats. Boats would be awesome.

TL;DR- Make Boating a skill like fishing and part of the faction system. Make them for minigame-type quests instead of travel, since we don't need them for getting around Aetolia. Go fishing on a boat! Sail the Beryl Sea to get gold and new tradeskill items and other shiny things. Customize boats for a goldsink.
VashRijetta

Comments

• All of this, except airships instead. Achaea has boats, Lusternia has spaceships, we (as the cogs and gears game) should have airships. Ylem-powered monstrosities that you can fish off of, build up with gold/comms/forged gear, etc.

This is in no way related to hidden urges to be a sky pirate.

Arbre-Today at 7:27 PM

You're a vindictive lil unicorn
    ---------------------------

Lartus-Today at 7:16 PM

oh wait, toz is famous

Karhast-Today at 7:01 PM

You're a singularity of fucking awfulness Toz
    Didi's voice resonates across the land, "Yay tox."

Ictinus11/01/2021

Block Toz

limToday at 10:38 PM

you disgust me
    (Web): Bryn says, "Toz is why we can't have nice things."

PhendegwenVashRijetta
  • I would be perfectly happy with these ylem-powered airships in lieu of standard boats. Scourges of the sky and sea! (I too have had sky pirate fantasies. . .)
  • AIRSHIPS!!!!!!!!

• TekiasTekias Wisconsin
    Geting FF9 flashbacks (Mist-powered airships), and I wholeheartedly approve.
    Formerly: Spiegel. Eidycue.

Hi.

• KynaKyna Victoria, Australia
    PhendegwenRijettaKodaza
  • I am all for BOTH. Both is better. Sail the seas and sail the skies! Ylem-fuel could also be a major Ships quest theme as well as abilities within the skill set (harvesting ylem-oil, refining ylem-oil, etc.).

And of course, SHIP BATTLES. Ylem-cannons! Full loss of a ship would suck, but, defeat could mean repair time, and glory for the winner (another thing for the rankings.)
  • RijettaRijetta Nowhere Important
    I am SO down for airships. I need my flying tomb-ship which heralds death, despair, and hilariously ineffective masquerades. If we do boats, please make them customizable with big awesome verbose descriptions! I'd love to see the differences between a Carnifex galleon and a Templar schooner, or a Syssin stealth airship and Rasani's inevitable flying bar.

I definitely like airships more than regular boats, so if I had to pick one I'd pick airships, but both is so much better. Also, I'm kind of a nerd about IRL modern naval combat, so getting to brush up on less modern ships would be awesome too.

It would probably be difficult, but extra functionality for boats would be nice, like skipping taking ferries, and being able to putter yourself around to land at different docks around Sapience.

Hell, while we're at it, let's make sand-ships for the Mhojave too.
    A low, sultry voice resounds within the depths of your mind, "I look forward to seeing your descent."
  • I think customization would be a huge draw of a Ships skill and a great reason to strive for transcendency. I was thinking a few basic transcendent 'ship templates' to choose from with basic descriptions, but with each room and the exterior descriptions (ie, for probing the ship in port) customizable if a player wants to do so. The powers that be seem to love gold sinks these days, and what better way to waste our gold than in outfitting elaborate vessels?
  • KodazaKodaza Los Angeles
    Toz said:

All of this, except airships instead. Achaea has boats, Lusternia has spaceships, we (as the cogs and gears game) should have airships. Ylem-powered monstrosities that you can fish off of, build up with gold/comms/forged gear, etc.

Now I'm just thinking of new events that could take place either in the sky (for airships), at sea (for boats), or both at once.

The word that's coming to mind is "ylemstorm."

TekiasPhendegwen
  • Toz said:

All of this, except airships instead. Achaea has boats, Lusternia has spaceships, we (as the cogs and gears game) should have airships. Ylem-powered monstrosities that you can fish off of, build up with gold/comms/forged gear, etc.

Inb4 'The Blackjack'.

• AIRSHIPS!!! - If they can do ANYTHING for this game thats going to bring back a crazed interest in me

Sailing is going to be it.

@Tiur - BONUS FOR YOU:
    -More artifacts and more income
    -Goldsink to purchase
    -Happy playerbase
    -More areas to create (Sail to distant lands)
    -We will all push to make Aetolia number one on TOPMuds

PLEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASE
    -You could have Rajamala Harem Island reachable by airship, just saying.
    Rijetta
  • RijettaRijetta Nowhere Important
    Seconding Rajamala Harem Island.
    A low, sultry voice resounds within the depths of your mind, "I look forward to seeing your descent."
  • TiurTiur Producer
    I do not need to be convinced of the awesomeness of Airships. We'll discuss tentative year schedule in the town hall and such.
    RijettaPhendegwenTeaniRunas